IMDb > "The X-Files" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The X Files"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The X-Files" More at IMDbPro »"The X Files" (original title)

Page 9 of 34: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

The X-Files

Author: GrimReaper89 from United States
21 November 2006

This show has become one of my favorite shows that has crossed TV. Even though the show went off, I own all the seasons and I continue to watch them. Out of all the characters, I'd have to say my favorite character would be Fox Mulder due to his determination to find the truth and his attitude towards life. I happen to believe in the paranormal and supernatural myself because of the influence Fox Mulder has left me. Even though he's just a character on a TV show, it remains one of my heroes. If I had to choose my least favorite character, it would have to be Reyes because she seems like such a useless character. And I wouldn't mind her if they got a better actress to play her.

Anyway, the show starts off with Dana Scully assigned to Special Agent Fox Mulder of The X-Files. He believes she was sent to spy on him which in all cases that was true, she was sent in to debunk his work. She learns that Fox Mulder has an interesting past due to his sister being abducted by aliens and how it tore his family apart. But during the course of the seasons, they will have to depend on each other to survive and solve the cases that the government wants buried secret. If you are looking for an intelligent show and a well thought show, this is the show for you.

My top five favorite episodes would have to be Pilot because it's the first episode and it has such an fascinating story to it. My second favorite episode would have to be Little Green Men because it shows flashbacks of Mulder's sister being taken from aliens and it shows how far he will go to find her. My third favorite episode would have to be Grotesque because it shows the madness of trying to catch a serial killer and the atmosphere of the episode was amazing. My fourth favorite episode would have to be Musing's of a Cigarette Smoking Man because you gain insight into the Cigarette Smoking Man's past. My fifth favorite episode would have to be Three Words because Mulder comes back after getting abducted by aliens and he's back to find the truth.

The Best Show On TV

Author: scully_and_mulder from Queensland, Australia
12 June 2006

I know many of you would have already heard this before but The X Files truly is one of the most though provoking, inspirational television shows to have ever been created and directed (a big applause to Chris Carter!). I started watching the show when I was 11 years old (back in 1995) and to this day, still enjoy it immensely. Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are two of the greatest characters to have ever appeared on our screens and nothing will ever change my view on how this show has impacted my life. Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny (two wonderful actors!) performed wonderfully in their roles as Scully and Mulder and I am a big fan of them both as I am of the show. To all the other X-files fans out there, I applaud you all for joining in following and making The X Files one of the most appreciated and dearly missed shows around! Thanks of course to Gillian, David, Chris, The other wonderful cast and crew and 20th century fox -- you are a inspiration to us all!

The Best TV Series Ever

Author: Muldernscully from Roy, Utah
31 May 2006

Where do I start with a series like the X-Files? The layman thinks this is just some sci-fi show about conspiracies, aliens and monsters. That is a big part of it. But there is so much more to the X-Files. Initially, the intense drama and action is what drew me into the show. Lots of TV shows have action and are good TV shows. If the X-Files only had this, it would still be a good show, but not a great show. What made this TV series my favorite TV show ever, and why I think it is the best show ever written, are the two characters Fox Mulder and Dana Scullly. It is the dynamics between these two characters that makes this show so amazing. I love watching the witty and intelligent dialogue that is exchanged between these two. The care and concern that Mulder and Scully show for each other made me care for them both just as much. These two characters and how they were written is what made the X-Files so clever and intelligent. It wasn't just the monster and conspiracy stories. The ability to mix humor with the serious nature of the series captivated me. All of these factors together helped make the X-Files the best TV series of all-time.

The Truth is still out there

Author: Ryan R. (Rx861) from United States
25 May 2006

The X-Files, the pop culture and cult phenomenon that has been admired by fans all over the world. The basic premise is a seemingly crack genius profiler for the F.B.I. by the practically cliché' overdone name of Fox Mulder turned down a most promising career to focus his investigation abilities on the paranormal. Once the thought of him becoming a liability to the Beareu, a partner who was a devoted young scientist of reason was assigned to work with him and provide scientific credibility to his work. This partnership would span the length of 9 seasons. 9 years of a series that'd allow us to look up in the night sky and ask ourselves as well as others if we're alone in the universe. Though having an incredibly strong main myth-arc to the writing, it holds some of the most powerful, entertaining and compelling stand-alone episodes that would be remembered by fans as "Monster-of-the-week" and "Creature Feature" episodes. While current television programming aims more towards fast paced action or the complexity of the tragic teenage lives that surround us, The X-Files was something different. It allowed us to watch two estranged strangers evolve into one of the most moving partnerships in television history, and the entertainment of people delving into modern day urban myths and the slight crypt zoology. A definitive step out of the ordinary, as they were not just stories by a narrator or short films depicting different realms of the paranormal, but the story of one man's determination and his skeptic partner that followed the cause.

Apart from the writing and the characters, the series also dangled morals throughout that have stuck with many. What I've gathered from the show is the importance of following what we believe in and the value of friends.

I give the show 4/4, 5/5 and 10/10 stars.

X-Files rules

Author: ragingmom from Canada
22 January 2006

Every episode had excellent production values, though not quite every episode met its usual high standards of plot and characterization. Even the departure of the seemingly irreplaceable Mulder brought in the very worthy replacement of John Doggett (Monica Reyes, however, I could have done without). Over the years, we learned more about every character, from Skinner to Mulder's mom, and it made watching them a very rich experience. Though the handful of comedic episodes were extremely well handled, the almost palpable dark atmosphere of some of the episodes (for instance, the still-shocking Home) is haunting, lending a very real gravitas to the series that Lost just doesn't have. Though I am enjoying Lost. I have a soft spot in my heart for X-Files, however, because its portrayal of a smart, independent woman of science influenced my daughter to get her marine biology degree (she's now working on a master's). But when she was in high school, it was the one show we watched together. Every mother and daughter should have such an experience!

the most beautiful movies of all time

Author: jennifer aguirre (danajenscully) from manila philippines
1 September 2004

I've seen the series when I was 10, and when I first saw their episodes it was an interesting stories about alien. I begun to watch their episodes every Sunday. I really like the good chemistry of Gillian Anderson and David Duchonvy, they give their best to make the movie and the series beautiful. the x-files has a good stories and a good actors and also a good creator Cris Carter. My favorite episode is requiem, unnatural, triangle, all things, Arcadia, almost all the episodes. I love all the episodes because it has an interesting stories, when you saw the episodes you can get enough to watch it over and over again.

When they promote their movie I was so excited to watch it and when I saw the movie it's almost perfect, Gillian Anderson is very beautiful and David Duchonvy is very handsome they are perfect!!...and the story of the movie is Awesome!!... I'm sure there will be part 2. In short the series and the movies is the most beautiful of all time.

A classic show

Author: Ed Cowell from Cleveland, OH
27 July 2002

At best,this show was brilliant; episodes like "Die Hand Die Verletzt" and "Home" are better than most modern horror movies. THE X FILES became a part of my life for the duration of its run,and I don't watch much television. The writing constantly drew me in; even at its worst, this show could not be beaten. Best episodes: "Home" "Die Hand Die

Verletzt" "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" "Jose Chung's 'From Outer

Space'" "Sanguinarium" "Drive" "Humbug" and more. Worst: "Badlaa" "How The Ghosts Stole Christmas" "The Field Where I Died" "Teso Dos Bichos" and "Avatar." I agree with the poster below: it was one hell of a ride...

Don't believe the 10/10's

Author: Sub Par from United States
26 January 2016

I am giving it a 1/10 in an attempt to offset the number of perfect 10's, which if having seen the episodes, makes one wonder if there are shills at play. Maybe I'd give it a 2 otherwise. Read the other negative reviews and you will get a much more accurate picture of the reboot.

2cents: it is as if no one from the original series took this reboot seriously, as in trying to actually deliver on good TV, and this is especially true of CC... The writing is horrible, as is the directing, and the only main character that kind of tried (scully) was hobbled by the writing and directing. You would look into mulder's eye and basically see a smirk reflecting back at you, and mchale didn't even really try to hide it... He was actually smirking, and my guess is laughing to himself about the horrible dialogue he was forced into saying. Mchale was a gimmick anyway (like the product placement cuts), and is just an example of the series not taking things seriously. It felt more like a community parody where ahbed was going to pop out as cheesy fx'd alien. It was so bad in this regard, that i was left w a face of disgust while watching, wanting to change the channel multiple times, yet forcing myself to just get through it, apparently as a misplaced sense of fan loyalty. Others have commented that as a true fan that watched it all during live airing, one is left w feeling of being personally attacked (somehow),and leaving us almost angry at CC directly. Really, in all honesty, so far, the whole thing has been a horrible experience. Just awful TV... Everything that is wrong w modern network broadcasting. Just horrible.

An aside... Use this opportunity to notice the positive professional reviews... You can really pick out the knuckleheads. Soooo disappointed.

X Files back with a whimper

Author: alex (doorsscorpywag) from United Kingdom
25 January 2016

the X Files was one of the greatest TV shows ever and the acting was intense and totally believable. Then we became entangled in a silly alien invasion/civil war/whatever the hell it was and the last couple of series became too stupid to even laugh at. It finished undeservedly in a mire of dog poop alien codswallop.

Now it's back and we take up the story but with a twist. It is not the aliens who want to take over the world but humans using alien technology.

Who all these warring aliens were at the death knell of the X Files seems unimportant now as like Bobby Ewing in the shower it was all a dream/lie.

Sadly our crusading duo look tired and old now and their performances reflect that. Once I believed in Mulder and Scully and I approached this new revamp wanting to believe again but sadly the same old tired nonsense is being dribbled out that killed the uniqueness of the show.

The pair look like they are doing this to avoid jail time for some felonious behaviour. They no longer have any spark together.

If all this mini series is about running over the same old garbage it ended on then sadly it will be a mega waste of time. The old X Files was great when it was a one off investigation and the early alien arcs were interesting but became boring due to the writers trying to be far too clever.

I will stick with it as I always did hoping for a spark of the original idea but the opening episode was cobblers.

This happens a lot when old TV series are revamped decades later and fail to recapture the magic. Absolutely Fabulous a great example and Red Dwarf another. Once great shows that had a magic about them trawled out with a tired cast that can no longer harness the electricity between them. Add The X Files to that list.

The truth may be out there but its boring so far.

Go to sleep you'll get scared - my parents when I was 7

Author: sean-cowan1 from Canada
16 August 2014

And they were right, when it first came out I would insist to stay up 'late' and watch it with them and most episodes would scare me. But by the time I was 10 that stopped happening and I started to enjoy one of the best sci-fi shows ever made. My parents have always liked sci-fi quite a bit so I was exposed to the x-files, alien, the terminator, 2001 a space odyssey, all the classic shows and movies by a young age.

At 26 now I have recently re-watched the show and some parts are still creepy and the show definitely holds up all these years later.

What makes the show so good, its hard to say, but I think its the way Mulder and Scully are always portrayed in a realistic believable way. Mulder always like that 'one consspiracy nut' we probably all know, and Scully acts like the super logical 'know-it-all rationalist' that we probably also all know.

Even the 8th and 9th seasons where David Duchovny takes a limited role are still enjoyable, though not as much as the first 7.

Throughout all of them however there is a good balance of 'monster of the week' style episodes where a one of x-file is dealt with, keeping the main story episodes spaced out far enough to always keep you on your toes and guessing, and most importantly, anxious to watch the next episode and see what happens.

They don't make TV like this any more. If you haven't seen it yet stop reading and go, start and S1E1 and enjoy you won't be disappointed.