IMDb > "The X-Files" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The X Files"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The X-Files" More at IMDbPro »"The X Files" (original title)

Page 6 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Just finished my X-Files experience

Author: Dale Sexton from United States
29 March 2013

First review here. I did not watch any X-Files during it's initial run. I received all nine seasons for Christmas last year. Nothing better than seeing those words "to be continued" on the screen and knowing you don't have to wait a week! I thoroughly enjoyed this series! I was reading some reviews and this summed this series up quote well, so I'll just quote it.

"It was never, as Chris Carter claimed, about Scully. It was rarely, as most media claimed, about Mulder.

It was always, always, always about Scully and Mulder.

They were two halves of a whole--intuitive/rational, impetuous/cautious, passionate/reserved. That's not a new idea, but switching heads was. Scully-and-Mulder interested us because they switched mental genders; Dana Scully was the one with the "masculine" traits of logic, balance, and a conservative view of science. Mulder's "feminine" side was his dominant side: listening to his feelings, playing his hunches, and leaping to conclusions."

Isn't that the truth of it? As much as I liked this series, half of season 8 and all but one episode of Season 9 were not "X-Files" for me. I'm not knocking our new "pair", I did like Agent Dogget quite a lot, but never really warmed up to Agent Reyes. The writers tried to infuse and tug emotional heart-strings with them, but they just weren't Scully & Mulder.

To be quite honest about the series in it's entirety, after the 1st movie came out after season 5, the writing seemed to decline somewhat. Not that that kept me from watching and being entertained, but there was a change in my view.

But lets talk about the good.

The show was at it's best when Scully and Muldur were there and the story involved the alien back-story and the cigarette smoking man. There was quite a bit that didn't include this, but in my view X-Files ROCKED when it was at it's roots.

...and the rest: Aliens, good and bad. I loved how they were always flirting with "The Greys".

Black Oil: How about that. Sentient black goo. It also had the ability to communicate with the spaceships? Loved the eyes of the host. Humans came up with a anti-virus that necessitated the need for the "super-soldier". Very interesting.

Alien Space ships that contain all the "answers" and immense power: From the movie of course. Loved this. I wish they could have "taken us there" more. Aside from the movie, we only got a couple snip-its from then on. Important snip-its, but to rare.

The Cigarette Smoking Man (as much as we all loved to hate him): Wow, what a character. So much a part of things they gave him his own episode. 1947 throughout the end, he was hated by all, needed by many, and a friend at times when it suited him. As much as I love Muldur and Scully I don't think I could see the X-Files being as successful without this character.

Shadow Government(s): Loved the whole premise and how they wove it into the series. Also loved the reveal in "The Truth" that the very first Shadow Government was the Anasazi using Magnatite as protection. Pretty interesting.

Krycek: Poor Krycek.... man - did they slap this character around or what? Good guy/bad guy/good guy? Always fighting the invasion even though you never really knew what side he was on.

Gibson Andrew Praise: His presence and/or existence threatened everything; the Alien and Shadow government cover-up. Loved how a little boy was THE key in the fight for humanity as we know it.

Agent Diana Fowley (just love Mimi Rogers): Muldur's first partner, obviously didn't make the deep connection that Scully did. There to help when needed but corrupted in the end?

Skinner: Another great character. a doubter in the beginning and turned do the facts Mulder & Scully amassed over the years.

And of course the lone gunmen... loved every episode they were in. Sorry to see them go away.

I really enjoyed the ride. Kind of like going to a theme park. Some rides are the best. Those are the ones that make you ride all the not so good rides. The X-Files had it's ups and downs as all series do. But this combination of horror, drama and SCI-FI always had you wondering what was next. I'll miss being able to sit down in the evening, popping in the next DVD and following Mulder & Scully's quest for the truth.

Here's to hoping they make another movie and finish this thing right. We all need to know how Mulder & Scully stopped the alien invasion on Dec 22th, 2012 - or if they just pushed it off :-)

The Earlier - The Better!

Author: Kricke (kricke_edberg@hotmail.com) from Sundsvall, Sweden
26 July 2003

There's so much to say about this series, and discussions around it as well. I don't know how or where to begin, but I'll do what I can to deliver my message in the best way. I hope you will overlook what I've wrote here, because I'm just a 20 year old guy from sweden and aren't very good in english. I hope you think - as I do - that the content are the most important.

I saw the first episode when it first aired here in Sweden - many years ago now. I thought it had it all - a "flashy" main title, a interesting story, nice actors/actresses and wonderful music. I have in a way grew up with this show, so it all feels very personal to me. It all depends on how "easy-to-please" you are, regarding how much from the series you like. And it also depends what you are looking for. And in this show you'll find a lot of things, but I think there are way too much people just doesn't see what this series was really about.

THIS WAS A SHOW ABOUT A MAN SEARCHING FOR HIS SISTER... Mulder had a "regression-hypnosis", that made him convinced that his sister were abducted by aliens. He quickly dumped his changes to climb up to a TOP career within FBI, and instead chose "the un famous room at the cellarfloor without heat and windows" were they had all the unsolved cases 'The X-Files'. Even the new beautiful partner he gets (Scully) couldn't make him on other thoughts than his sister Samantha. Obsessed and desperat.

The first episodes 1X79 - THE X-FILES: PILOT, 1X01 - DEEP THROAT, 1X03 - CONDUIT started off this magnificent show with the real mythology and I (and everyone else watching it) was captured by Mulders devotion for the truth. Combined with clever monster-episodes that made everyone get scared, for instance the classic of the classic: 1X02 - SQUEEZE. All this spiced up with: mystery, paranormal things, person-chemistry, excitement, a bit humour and much more.

BUT WHAT HAPPENS? The show became famous... Chris Carter and the rest of The X-Files crew became "ego-centered" or something. It all became "less heart, more money". Everything became too much sci-fi... First the question was "Do aliens exists?", that question became "When are the aliens gonna invade earth?"... Aliens invading the earth (one of the most ridiculous plots ever invented into show - just proves that the show didn't want to be original anymore.) But just don't aliens... Even shippers started to invade the earth. I mean... The beautyness of the show went more or less in the background and other too odd things became the main goal.

It became not just less heart, more money... It also became more gore, less cleverness - more kissing, less chemistry - more emptyness, less interesting... Just more bad, less good...

DON'T GET ME WRONG... This was a brilliant show that had potential to continue to be pure gold all the way thru, but they choosed to follow the mainstream and please the sci-fi lovers (well I love sci-fi, but X-Files was supposed to be more like a "mystery show" and not Star Wars - if you get my point,) and all the girls watching the series just to see Mulder and Scully in the bed together. The show did continue to entertain me, but that special feeling was more or less just gone.

IMHO I think that the show should have cancelled way earlier than it did. Reasons:

* The ideas were already presented, why present them again but in just worser copies? The X-Files just got repetative.

* David Duchovny was tired of the series after five seasons. His threat of leaving without moving the series to L.A. was like "Oh no! We can't cancel the series now, we want more money! Do as he says!". But they did parody the series itself in season six and that was the best they could do, but then it got serious again in season seven and it just became ridiculous the way it turned out.

* DD wasn't anymore with the series as much towards the final seasons. A real X-Phile wants to remember The X-Files with David Duchovny (Fox Mulder) and Gillian Anderson (Dana Scully) - To claim something else is just ridiculous.

* We didn't have to suffer while watching crappy episodes, and the episode that revealed the truth about Mulders sister - I REALLY HATE WHAT THEY DID! It really felt like it was something they made up in a couple of hours.

* Sure there is much more, but I have to sleep sometime... Let's get to the final.

Shortly: The first season was without a doubt the classic and absolute best one of the entire show. Also seasons two and three were great, but still not carrying the same brilliance as the first. Then it slipped away more and more as it went on, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the seasons were bad. Seasons four, five and six had not the same cleverness as before, it was more like standard television and better than all the other shit on TV. Then seasons 7-9 were just... Well... TRASH! There were still great episodes through the whole show, but - unfortunately - more disapointing times.

There's surely much more I want to say, so maybe I'll post another long comment in the future.

Finally I want to say that, even if it doesn't seems like it, I think that this is one of the best series I've ever seen! But remember: The earlier in the show - the better!

The Greatest Television Show EVER!!!

Author: Kristine A. Phillips from Metro-Atlanta, Georgia
19 January 1999

My summary is no exaggeration! I just started watching this show at the beginning of Season Five, but thanks to pre-recorded videos and FX, I have now seen every single episode and can say with authority that this is the smartest, sexiest and most intelligent show ever to grace the small screen! David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson bring such depth to their characters (Special Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, respectively), the writing, directing and cinematography are good enough to grace the silver screen (and did in the summer of '98!), and the plots are imaginative, intriguing and downright "SPOOKY"! Tune in just once and you, too, will be hooked!!!!

Spooky Mulder meets New World Order - and turns

Author: Peka Bali from Budapest
26 January 2016

After this pilot, I felt like Mulder is no hero of mine anymore, just another flat character on screen. Just like another victim in the Walking Dead turning zombie. After Star Wars, another classic turned sour. What's next by Hollywood, Blade Runner meets Steven Segal? The Matrix meets Jason Statham?..

OK, so here we have one of the ground-breaking series of the 90's, reshaped for the 21st century. At the time an original script of aliens being responsible for much of the unexplained, mixed with a lot of fiction and suspense, later on going quite flat with the Scully and Mulder main character duo pseudo-romance. It had to end sooner or later, I admit I hadn't watched it for the bigger part of the remaining series as my need for unexplained phenomena was saturated with an ever increasing feeling that they've run out of stories and most stay on just to see whether the duo finally gets laid or not. But we all loved it, while it lasted.. Why? Because it was fresh at the time and aliens were in, conspiracies were relatively unheard of due to our governments coming up with "perfectly acceptable" explanations for worldwide crises and because the hero, FBI Agent "Spooky" Mulder was a believer, someone who was persistent and could not be fooled, even when he was just like any of us. And now that they're back on the screen and we live much more turbulent lives with much less explainable global conflicts where we do not tend to believe anymore what's force-fed via the media, terrorism in our backyards, environmental threats and mass migration, it's supposed to be even more exciting and the topic lends itself on a silver plate: what links will Mulder find in today's world between alien races and strange occurrences, amidst all this turmoil? Will there be any aliens behind the powers-that-be, lizard faced, green or invisible? Or will it be microscopic bacteria, planted by civilizations long gone, maybe subconscious messages from outer space? And is it any worse than what we are facing now in our everyday lives? Great material for many episodes to come, for sure and expectations set high for the X-Files of the 21st century.

Instead, we get Mulder's never-ending agonizing romance with Scully 20 years later with its meta-communication I could never understand (Scully with her pokerface worrying herself sick for Mulder (in words only), after having spent most of her career witnessing events with him but walking out at the slightest hint of having to listen to his new conviction in a new setting, then still staying for a chat simply because a wild stranger reporter asks her to stay, wtf???), totally irrelevant and unconnected events and characters that get debunked in a second and a short summary of the New World Order in 2 minutes, with an absurdly forced and unrealistic connection to aliens, without any of the typical search for truth that makes Mulder into what he is. Duh..

After seeing this first episode, I had the feeling that the director had to force the New World Order into the episode, to make it clear that that stands behind everything, laying the groundwork for the next episodes. Forced, being afraid that the viewers would not stay on if it were not pushed in our face right at first go. Sure, it may make for a potentially very interesting plot for future episodes that I much support, but you cannot hasten loyalty: it kills the gradual suspense that is much needed to keep us wanting for more. There is no suspense to speak of in the whole episode, which is more like a documentary! I saw this 2 minute explanation with all the flashes of chem-trails, oil, environment destruction, vaccines, sugar, etc. as a big melting pot of fantastic material, condensed into a can of sardines. And once opened, it left me with the feeling of "Ah, so that's the explanation.. OK, anything else?..". Such a waste of good material. And such display of poor filmmaker skills. I mean, Mulder suddenly throws away his decades of experience in the field, just for a new concept by a conspiracy theorists, like himself?? I thought Mulder was our man for that, doing the work and presenting us with a great series with suspense along the way. Instead, he's a copycat! "I think it may all have been a lie" Wow, is that all he can come up with after all these years, simply take over someone else's story? Let's forget about the past, clean sheet and in the 21st century, we must believe in something totally different? Sure I understand the reasons: the viewers need a new bone, the script is not just about aliens anymore, some connection needs to be made to our current lives. But surely it could be done better than compressing all of that in a 2 minute script reading, as if the director gave Mulder the storyline to read of the next 20 chapters or so, not having to bother to actually directing it and to get us hooked with the new hype. So cheap.

All in all, I think the creators of the new series did a really poor job: despite excellent material of the New World Order, poor execution of connecting it to Mulder, poor effort in visuals, narrative and dialogues. My verdict is of course only on the pilot: hopefully the series itself will not lend to such cheap tricks and will build up suspense and explanation, connections gradually, giving us the taste of X-files style. A shame that the pilot gave away all of it in advance though. Is the audience assumed to be that spoiled, to want to have desert before dinner starts?..

It was a great and creative production except they didn't know where or how to end.

Author: merdiolu from Istanbul, Turkey
20 December 2007

I watched X-Files first time when it began airing regular episodes here in 1999. I followed it devoutly. It had a dark , serious sometimes sinister tone with lots of mystery and open endings. The main characters , Mulder and Scully , opposites working on unresolved paranormal cases were written as loners , dedicated professionals and trusted partners/friends for each other. The conspiracy mythology started great and went on OK for first four or five seasons with different elements adding on top of each other. The X-Files movie in 1998 was cherry on the top for that subject. Standalone episodes were impressive too. Episodes like "Jersey Devil" or "Home" scared the hell out of me and were just made fine. They usually kept a door open for different possibilities even at the end of episodes which I liked. Grittiness , scare and mystery factors with lots of creativity kept this show alive....

....until Season 6 I guess. That's when things began to go downhill. Season 7 was worse. A very unnecessary campiness and cheese factor was added to show , became a more dominant factor and it lowered previous quality. There were still some good stand alone episodes here and there but alien conspiracy arc became more and more complicated plus illogical , ignoring previous continuity. Story elements didn't make sense in larger picture. ( ultra powerful syndicate was wiped out all too easily at one stroke , Mulder came out as CSM's son , Mulder's father/mother plus ex-girlfriend was involved in conspiracy , Scully got pregnant , Mulder's sister became "starlight" , Krychek played double so many times and cheated death it became really silly. M/S became romantically involved and remained partners etc ) On top of that an unnecessary comedy and lightness element became more and more apparent even in stand alone episodes and it became very tedious. I mean this show was close to being a classic like Twin Peaks , Twilight Zone or Outer Limits but it became more like a stupid teenage fun romp like Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Stargate. When the series began to have fun with itself with episodes like "X-Cops" or "Hollywood AD" it sunk completely. During its last two seasons producers tried to save it by injecting new characters , plot elements and new layers to conspiracy. The new characters were OK. For example John Doggett played by Robert Patrick was a very well written and developed character. One exception aside all episodes around him brought back some of the serious air X-Files used to have. Unfortunetely the series was going all too long. Creativity was mostly gone. The conspiracy plot became more and more unbelievable and full of nonsense and became so complicated it was clear CC and his team hadn't planned ahead. The finale didn't bring any resolutions or clear answers either. It just confirmed what we knew all along with a date and showed some old faces , that's it.

In my opinion Season 1-5 are golden years of X-Files. They are full of suspense, thrill and intrigue. After that it becomes more and more an action/comedy show and begins to repeat itself ( it can not be avoided after all it went on for nine seasons )

You can never go home again

Author: (puzzledresearcher)
26 January 2016

The old saying - You can never go home again - applies to the X-Files.

Glaringly in this "season 10" of the X-Files is the constant reminder that time has passed. It's not just that the actors are older, but the genre is now so over-exploited that any attempt to extend the X-Files seems quite derivative, in this case of itself.

I found problematic that we are to believe that all we saw in the last 5 seasons of the X- Files, and in the first movie, somehow is not what was originally presented.

This is Chris Carter and company not being honest with us, the viewer.

Also tiring is the overt placement of ideological talking points. Even if I agree with them, they are presented naively and in a juvenile fashion. It's as if Carter just can't wait to preach and doesn't even try to fit the ideology intelligently into a story line.

After only two episodes, this season 10 is grossly over-rated even compared to IMDb tradition. I suspect legions of Duchovny and Anderson fans are just giving this season top ratings, even though the substance of the episodes are not very good, even by classic X-Files standards.

Within the story itself, the technical explanations given along the way are not intelligible. They are just multisyllabic words given to try and impress the viewer. For example, Scully says she "sequenced" DNA, but the close up of the lab results shown are not in fact a "sequence" of a genome but just diagrams of a very simple DNA test. The explanations given to Mulder for the ARV energy do not make sense (e.g., "zero point", "electro-gravitic", etc.) and while Mulder in the original series may have fallen for that claptrap at one time, we the audience today have become more sophisticated due in part to the many alien-themed movies and TV series that have come along.

The X-Files belongs in the era of Bill Clinton, in which they started and had their best episodes. There the X-Files should have stayed.

Trying too hard...

Author: Victor Cofc
26 January 2016

*** Spoilers *** Less than 10 minutes in, Mulder says "No, I only want to believe. Actual proof has been strangely hard to come by".

What the heck is this? After all that Mulder has seen with his own eyes and experienced himself, how can he not be an absolute firm believer at this point?? This goes for Scully too. After all she's been through how could she have any doubt? All the denial at this point is absolutely bs.

X-Files (when it was good) was my favorite show of all time. And I want to like this reboot so badly but it was pretty bad. But there's just many things wrong with it that it's disappointing.

- pace is wrong (too much being crammed too soon). Arguably, one of the hallmarks of classic X-Files was the pace of the show. Slow, methodical revelations. However, this first reboot episode felt like a contrived effort to cram in as much classic X-Files touchstones as possible (historical alien flashbacks, alien abductee, comical military hit-and-run on 'secret' facility, conspiracy and paranoia explanation meeting, clandestine meeting with mysterious military doctor who purports to know everything but teases Mulder, ransacking of Mulder's office, smoking man cameo, etc.) and therefore making this episode tasteless. Heck, why stop there? Should have thrown in sprinkle of Lone Gunmen, a dash of Krycek, and a smidgen of the colonist dude lurking in the shadows for good measure.

- Gillian Anderson, I'm sorry to say this, but your portrayal of Scully is off. Scully's assertiveness is not there. The intimacy and familiarity (with Mulder) is gone. And the words are just not coming out like it should.

- conspiracy to take over America first, then the world? At any cost? Really? You couldn't come up with anything better than this? 9/11, big brother initiatives, weather weaponization/manipulation, hoarding of alien technology, food conglomerate control, zero-ing of bank accounts, militarization of law enforcement, and the best of all -- benevolent aliens concerned for mankind and it's path of self-destruction. Really? Really??? Can't come up with anything else more original that you have to follow the full-blown typical sensational paranoia? I give the actors credit for not bursting out in laughter in that paranoia meeting.

- Chris Carter, remember this please: LESS is MORE.

Cool show!

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
2 December 2007

What else can I say? This series,which had a nine-year run on FOX,was something a little hard to narrow down:was it a conspiracy show,with its numerous links and clues to a shadowy government cover-up involving(Among other things)extra-terrestrials? Is it a show dealing with investigating the paranormal and/or unexplained? Is it a Sci-Fi drama that is actually using the element of suspense to cloak an intelligent explanation of phenomena? Or was it a Thriller/Horror program,steeped in the seemingly ordinary world of dull,drab and gray people and institutions(well,mostly just the FBI)? The answer could be...all of them,or none of them. But whatever your reply,if you cared to watch more than an episode or two of it,you'd have to admit that it had a cool,smart,edgy quality that was hard to resist.

You probably know the story,but here goes anyway: Deep in the bowels of the FBI is the eponymous department,which is so abandoned and lightly regarded,it consists of basically two agents: quiet,quirky,emotionally-scarred believer in anything "out there" Fox MUlder(David Ducovny,able to finally go mainstream after years of soft-core movies and direct-to-video fare to that point)and soft-spoken,rational,medically-trained and religious DAna Scully(GIllian Anderson,who would slowly develop over the series run). They counter-balance each other's moves and,over the course of most of the show's run,begin to have extra-ordinary(And often disturbing)encounters with elements both explained and un. Supervised by somewhat-skeptical but supportive Skinner(Mitch PIleggi),the duo encounter their fair share of resistance and aid from a number of sources from within and outside. BY season eight,Ducovny wanted out of the show,hence the introduction of agents Doggett(Robert PAtrick)and Reyes(Annabeth Gish),and the show's rationale for why this character went where and why became strained,but it still maintained a generally creepy,entertaining quality that kept it afloat. Creator Chris Carpenter was(still is)not only a brilliant and keen crafter of fiction and lore,but also a very shrewd seller of the franchise--spin off series "Millenium" and "The Lone Gunmen" rightly drew cult followings in their short runs,and the 1998 X-Files movie was a reasonably successful creation--and has created something in fictional realms could be considered a monster. A show that has launched countless chat-rooms,web-sites,fan fictions and theories,the biggest accomplishment of this show(to me,anyway)remains its ability to still be largely fertile and entertaining.

Paper Clip

Author: kiulikh from Bangladesh
22 November 2007

It is unfortunate that I became a fan of this series 8 years after it was created. I look at TV these days with disappointment and boredom most of the time since most television drama series/movies deal with one of three genres: law, medicine, or science fiction. At first glance, The X-Files would seem to fit into this trend. However, its uniqueness is that it fits into all three of these categories plus a fourth and most important one: human imagination. This is what makes The X-Files one of the most intelligent and most important shows on television today. After all of these years, it is still one-of-a-kind. It forces us to think, to imagine, and to hope. I can't say that about too many other shows at the present time.

I have heard several complaints from many people about the past few years of this show: The writing seems to have deteriorated, the loss of David Duchovny hurt the show, one never seems to find out anything from the show (and on the opposite end, we've found out too much from the show), and it has worn out its welcome. I disagree with all of these. The writing is as good as ever (This year had excellent shows; check out Redrum, This Is Not Happening, and the two-part season finale for a peek.). David Duchovny leaving the show may be a blow to fans, but I think Robert Patrick has done a terrific job in stepping in so late in a series. The acting is as good on that show as it has ever been. As for what we have learned from the show, I think that if one expects to be content with knowing why things that happened on the show happened, he is missing one of the major points of the show. The show is half the story; your imagination is the rest. Chris Carter has found that happy medium ground of saying enough but not too much. And I for one should be proof that the show has not been on too long. It is still finding fans (old and new). Those of you who have shied away from the show are missing out on truly great television.

My favorite show is the episode: paper clip. The show was wonderfully written and brilliantly acted. Any new fan should check this show in particular out.

The truth is out there. The X-Files is still a terrific show after 8 years, and I am anxiously awaiting what is to come.

All Kinds of People

Author: Kayla (kuzcokayla@hotmail.com) from B.C. Canada
29 October 2003

I have been sitting here for the last 15 minutes or so reading ALL the comments about the X-Files, and I must say, they can't please everyone. Everyone has a different opinion (you can clearly tell if you read all the commments...) and the fact that The X-Files gained and lost fans along the way is just the way it goes. If they remained the way they were in the earlier seasons (and trust me, I am a true fan...I stuck by it the whole 9 years but I love the first 7 seasons best) but they had to change sometime; they wouldn't have lasted as long as they did if they had continued on with the Samantha ordeal and/or the alien/ government cases. The fact is, they kept and gained a great deal of fans the whole way through, because they had varying episodes, some dramatic, some funny, and some mysteriously confusing. But there are so many people blaming the actors, writers, and creators when really it's just a conflict of interest.

I still love the X-Files and always will, I have bought many of the seasons on DVD and I have watched them all at least 8 times, including the last two seasons (they haven't yet been released on dvd or video but I have them on tape) and now that the show is over, you can choose to only re-watch your favourites. I began watching the show at the age of 7 and although I probably didn't understand some of the humour, I even enjoyed it then. I hope there will be a sequel to the first movie "The X-Files: Fight the Future" and I'm sure even though they lost some fans along the way, they will probably return and watch it...remembering how great a show it was........and is.