IMDb > "The X-Files" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The X Files"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The X-Files" More at IMDbPro »"The X Files" (original title)

Page 5 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The greatest TV drama of the 90S

Author: Pepe Eliseo from Mexico
4 March 2014

After the X Files, the TV science drama is not the same in the world. The characters, the plot on each episode and the sequence of the story did explore myth and fact in many ways. Creating all type of emotions to the viewers. Let me tell you a short personal experience, back there in the 90s I used to go to work very early in the morning, and after a very long and stressed day in a world class company it was very relaxing to get home, to take a nice cold beer with a nice microwave dinner to watch this 1 hour show. And it was so for 9 seasons! I do recommend this TV show to all that people who looks for an interesting investigation drama!

Most gripping & exciting...

Author: doppelganger69 from Bangladesh
3 November 2013

The most gripping and exciting conspiracy based TV series I have ever seen. Scully & Mulder duo is perhaps the best TV couples in FBI history. Though the movies are disappointing and fall way short of expectation, the TV series depicts a masterful direction and performance. The entire cast justifies their inclusion in the show. "The truth is out there" - has become a revolutionary tagline, not to mention the wonderful character names like "The Cigarette Smoking Man" & "Deep Throat". The show has an amazing ability to keep the audience on the edge of their seats with all the wonderful quotes (my favorite: to predict he future is to invent it). Wonderful scripts along with great FX and soundtrack by Mark Snow makes a show one of the best ones of all times.

It makes you believe

Author: Goodfellasz from Belgium
30 December 2012

Growing up I followed two series: Stargate SG-1 and the last seasons of the X-files. At the moment I loved both of them and thought they were the best series ever. Some nine years later I re watched the entire series in a pretty short period and I must say that despite the enormous progression in both CGI and make-up design The X-files still remains the best series ever made.

What is that makes it so strong? In short it is the interaction between the believer David Duchovny and the non-believer Gillian Anderson. I don't think that even though in the after match of the x-files many series have had the same unmatchable couple (that later turns out to be the best couple ever), there has been a series that has found two actors that have this kind of mind blowing effect on the viewers.

Each episode knows to surprise the viewer and knows just how to make him wonder what monster or mystery has turned up to terrify the neighborhood. It still surprises me that some episodes, even though I have grown up, continue to scare me.

That other strength the series has is that every time the season starts losing its pace or its quality, there is this one episode that reminds you of its geniality.

You should think that a series would lose its fastness after nine years and 201 episodes, but nothing is more false here. After having watched 201 episodes and two movies you just want to see another episode. The X- files left me wandering and looking for a new series, but even though others (like supernatural and fringe) have tried to reforge the sphere that was overall in the x-files, it must be said that no series has ever reached the same plane as this one.

In short I can't deny that after 201 episodes I do not want to believe, but I simple believe.

Simply the best TV series ever made

Author: Kalle_it from Italy
7 May 2010

I had never been a fan of sci-fi, quite frankly I can say I didn't really care about sci-fi.. To this day I still struggle to remember which is Star Wars and which is Star Trek...

But despite that, The X-Files got me hooked since the very first airing of the Pilot episode almost two decades ago.

It just had it all: monsters, mystery, murders and an interesting UFO/conspiracy plot that didn't really take over the whole show until the final seasons.

The X-Files could be enjoyed both as a series of unrelated cases of mysterious events, or as a coherent story about a government conspiracy about aliens.

Either way, it was always a nice experience and the count of disappointing episodes is remarkably low for a show that ran for nine years.

Mulder and Scully (played masterfully by Duchovny and Anderson) were an interesting take on the traditional "odd couple". They were dedicated but not pedant (besides Mulder's rants about the conspiracy, but that was part of his weird charm) and always managed to be witty enough not to become too perfect, but without becoming zany either.

We slowly got to know Mulder and Scully's back-story and personality, and it was easy feeling connected with them. Their personal past was much part of the story without invading it and turning it into a boring and trite soap-operaish drama. A real rarity for most shows, especially nowadays, where the characters are either driven and dedicated iron men or squeamish teen-like wimps, more focused on their private life than on their job.

Thankfully we were spared a full-fledged romantic liaison between Mulder and Scully, despite some hints of something being there in later seasons. Not every show on Earth needs romance, much less a show like X-Files with two rather "asexual" characters like Mulder and Scully.

The rest of the cast was very solid and the characters worked very well with the two main stars and with the plots.

It's really difficult finding flaws in a show of that caliber, but just for the sake of nitpicking, I have to say the final seasons, when the alien/government conspiracy plot became the main focus of the show, were a little bit over the top in terms of twists and swerves.

But all in all it's a forgivable sin, considering the overall quality of the series and the fact it would have been impossible ending the show without putting more emphasis on the main theme of the whole story and trying to give it some sort of closure.

The X-Files was a landmark in the history of sci-fi and of television. Not only the best TV serial of the 90s, but probably one of the best serials in the history of TV.

X Files

Author: VidSteh from Slovenia
13 May 2008

I miss this show. To be honest, I miss most of this old shows like Twin Peaks, X - Files, Frasier, Cheers... hell, I even miss Friends, because todays shows just suck. Most of the todays shows are focusing on idiotic doctors, snobbish lawyers, retarded people with super powers and boring forensics. Todays shows are just copying each other and are so boring and predictable.

Take a look into the X - Files, clever, mysterious, dark, humorous, disturbing and scary show about two FBI agents, Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson), who are working on X Files, a special FBI devision for paranormal and UFO events. Both Mulder and Scully, are one of the best couples I've ever seen in TV show and their chemistry definitely works. Okay... sometimes I have a felling like Duchovny is playing too much like a stone (with minimal emotions), but overall I like Duchovny and his character, spooky Mulder. Anderson is cute and sarcastic, most of the time she doesn't believe Mulders predictions about aliens and paranormal events. Both are making really odd couple with a good sense of humor and intelligent thinking.

The episodes are always concentrating on government conspiracies with aliens, paranormal events, people with special powers etc. The episodes are sometimes stupid and don't make a lot of sense, but overall X Files is a great show for all people, who are having open minds and accepting the fact that we're not alone in the universe. The music in the show is also great, very intense and not annoying even for a minute, the environment is often dark and the events disturbing. Other characters are also great and sometimes very scary (The Smoker, Kryczek, Myers and the gang) etc.

Overall, this show is great. It delivers an intelligent view in the theme, which could be considered stupid, but not in hand of the creator Chris Carter and other writers. I miss X Files. Why there is no original show on TV today?

Growing Up watching The X Files

Author: xXdrowningkittenXx from United States
25 June 2007

As a young child, my parents let me watch almost anything that they watched on TV. This included The X Files. I was always excited to see it come on TV. Later in my childhood, I decided to revisit The X Files. There my family was, watching all of the episodes... some my parents had seen and some they had not. I grew up laughing, loving, and many times questioning the truth with The X Files. (My friend and I had a little crush on Mulder when we were about 7 or 8. xD) I spent countless nights watching my favorite episodes... and I still do. Now we have so many inside jokes, along with family memories, all thanks to The X Files. These days it even provides an easy way for our family to spend time together without me getting tired of my parents. The X Files continues to excite me every day. I love this show and I am grateful for all of the childhood memories it provided and still provides each day. ♥

One of the shows you just must see

Author: Stibbert from Norway
15 July 2005

The Norwegian tag line for this show is "You don't believe it, until you see it" (sounds cool in Norwegian) and that's a good way to sum up this show.

X files follows the FBI agents Mulder and Scully. They are assigned to the X files; cases that deals with paranormal phenomenon.

This show is probably the best sci-fi / horror show there is, if not the best show there is! The effects are, most of the time, very good and the stories are unbelievable, yet made believable in an incredible way. The characters and their actors are good. Duchovny and Andreson really are Mulder and Scully. It's like the first thing you do after watching it is to reach for the encyclopedia to see if some of the things mentioned in the episode actually is for real. It can be places, persons or events. Is it real or is it just one of Mulders theories? I believe X files is one of the best shows ever. There have and will never be another show quite like it. It holds a special place in TV history. Everybody has heard about it and everybody knows what it's about even if they have never seen it. This is one of those shows you just must see.

I'm a new addict

Author: Tricer1447 from Dubuqe Iowa
4 February 2003

I never watched the x-files when it was on. But after watching "So Weird" and being addicted to "Psi Factor: Chronicls of the Paranormal" I decided to check it out. It's a good show. Very freaky with excellent paranormal stories involving ferocious creatures and is pretty unpreditable. Gillian Anderson is great as Scully and I thought she was also great as Moro the wolf goddess from Princess Mononoke. The rest of the acting is good too. They show reruns alot and I will be addicted to it. I didn't become a fan of Psi:Factor or MST3K until I saw reruns but I had never even heard of them before I saw them. Bottom Line: This is the best paranormal show ever, well this and Psi Factor are tied.

It was one heck of a show

Author: (n_y_c_93@hotmail.com) from New York, New York
21 January 2002

I have watched this show religiously since the first episode began in September of 1993 and I have never been disappointed. The writing, the great cast (notably Gillian Anderson and Mitch Pileggi), the great plots and the great everything else have made me enjoy myself for the last 9 years. Even when David Duchovny decided to take his leave from the show, Chris Carter knew what to do in employing the talent of such stars as Robert Patrick & Annabeth Gish. This show has continued to amaze the world and I'm sure it will until it's final episode in May 2002. I would like to thank Chris Carter and the whole X-Files team for giving me 9 years of enjoyment on Sunday nights. It's been one heck of a show, and I'm sure that it will always be remembered. Farewell to a great series.

Decent Entertainment

Author: Arc-1 from Arizona
9 February 2001

I watched this show every week for its first four seasons without fail, but halfway into its fourth year I found it to be turning a little stale, and I stopped watching it as regularly. The shows 'Staleness" was due in part to the boring character interaction between Scully and Mulder, which ranges from "ho-hum" to headache inducing. What was fresh and original sounding back in the first few seasons, became ordinary snorefest dialog interrupted every so often with a terrific performance by the actor who portrayed the CSM(can't remember his name). But recently the show has improved a great deal, thanks in part to the addition of Robert Patrick, who is a far superior actor to David "The Mumbler" Duchovny.