IMDb > "The X-Files" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The X Files"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The X-Files" More at IMDbPro »"The X Files" (original title)

Page 2 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Best pilot in years..

Author: rudrakshbohra from India
20 January 2016

Creator Chris Carter has taken great advantage of the new world landscape when crafting this revival, incorporating post-9/11 conspiracies, the Patriot Act and the militarization of the police into the new mystery, all the while tying them back to Roswell-era alien cover-ups. In fact, The X- Filesso nicely lends itself to these modern issues that it's hard to believe how much the Fox drama pre-dated many of them. Scully's skepticism is also put to an interesting new use, as she now finds herself not only questioning the science, but additionally the benefit of sharing the truth with the public.

Generally speaking, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have slid back into their most identifiable characters for this new adventure. There are some clunky and weird dialogue moments where they literally yell the slogans from the show at each other — "The truth is out there, Scully!" and the such. But fortunately, these bits are outweighed by the scenes that do work, and one senses that this episode, and that dialogue, is weighed down too much with the expository need to catch up potential newcomers to the show.

The pace of the action has picked up in the intervening years, however, with one particularly dizzying, rapid-fire monologue from Mulder, cut with spooled images of nuclear weapons and paranormal happenings … And both the story lines and the context feel fresh and contemporary, allusions to Edward Snowden and the NSA spying scandal perfectly chiming with the widespread paranoia currently peaking across the US.

Greatest Science Fiction/Horror television Series of All Time

Author: BaronBl00d (baronbl00d@aol.com) from NC
16 June 2006

The writing, the acting, the production values, the continuity, the heart of The X Files all secure a reputation for this show as the best in its class. It has no peers. The story of two FBI agents working in a small office in the basement of the FBI to uncover, prove, disprove supernatural and unexplained phenomena and alien presence builds beautifully in the nine seasons the show existed. And having seen every episode in chronological order, they build with purpose, continuity, and innovation. Sure, there were set-backs when one actor didn't do most of a season, or another actress was pregnant, or whatever might have arisen, but the show's writers and creator - and make no mistake here that creator Chris Carter and his staff of writers/directors are the reason for this show being what it is - always met each and every set-back with a creative, engaging response. When Fox Mulder's character was gone for most of two seasons, they created two new characters that were every bit as solid as Mulder and Scully. Robert Patrick's Doggett and Anabeth Gish's Reyes were equally compelling characters. There are so many good things to say about this show. The two leads, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, grew as characters and thespians before our very eyes. They honed their crafts and became stronger screen presences. These characters were characters that we learned to like and wanted to follow. Duchovny brought some much needed wry humour to an otherwise serious subject. He was able at one moment to convince you that the world was one big conspiracy and in the next moment comment on the lack of movement from a dead person with lighthearted appeal. Anderson softened each year, becoming less rigid and inflexible. The cast of supporting characters was always first-rate with Mitch Pillegi as Skinner and William Davis as the antagonistic Smoking Man never giving a bad performance. The three Lone Gunmen were excellent light diversions in bloody cases or cases involving alien invasion or what not. The first season will always be my favorite. Mulder and Scully are finding themselves as characters and the idea of conspiracy is all too real. Jerry Hardin plays Deep Throat, the man feeding Mulder news of government conspiracy, with strength and a true believability. But before I get too compartmentalized, The X Files was able to be two series in one - perhaps its greatest achievement. One the one hand, we had Mulder and Scully battling conspiracy, aliens looking to invade Earth, Mulder finding his sister that had been abducted by aliens, and other plot strands of a similar nature. But the show would also show totally unrelated episodes that were very scary and horrifyinfg. We saw worm men, killer insects, a man that sucked the fat out of his victims, cannibalistic cults, and the list goes on and on. I love the myth episodes, but these horror episodes are my favorites because they are so creative. I cannot remember how many times, having just watched and episode, saying how does someone think this stuff up? Whether The X Files is spoofing the Brady Bunch or alluding to Moby Dick or creating a homage to Frankenstein and movies of its ilk or just trying its best to scare you or disgust you(the episode Home - a favorite of mine), it is always true to itself in terms of the creativity that courses through its proverbial veins. Yes, sometimes, it is a bit full of itself, and, yes, sometimes, the creativity falls right down on its face(as when the show combined the X Files with Cops). But the show has far more, far more hits than misses. I think that as time goes by, this television show will be remembered for much more than what we remember it for today. I think it will be one of the all-time greats. The Truth is out there.

Great first episode! This new series is a must watch.

Author: Cynthia Clarkspellman from Buffalo, NY
1 November 2015

The X-Files is kind of like good wine or cheese in that it's aged rather well. The characters and the world they live in is frighteningly real, even as we hope it isn't, and the new series gives their world a dose of extra realism, cynicism, and mystery. Mulder and Sculley are just as you remember them and their scientist/skeptic meets true believer dynamic isn't old or tired. They've aged and matured and that's actually a good thing.

One cool thing is that they got as many of the original cast as possible. Every time one of them came on screen my inner 10 year old screamed in happiness. Skinner and yes, CSM are back because what would the X-Files be without them. There are a few new faces that you will definitely like.

The only thing I will say about episode 1 is this: Meta. As. Hell.

I appreciate this

Author: alicelein from china
21 January 2004

I¡¯m a chinese.In China this TV-series is not very famous, because we were lack of up-to-date information when TXF became popular I¡¯m sorry to say I did¡¯t know its existence until january 1,2004 and I have missed a good time. TXF is very different from those series in China.But I like it.I¡¯m absorbed in it.Fascinated by the idea,the plotline ,the talent of the playwright, DD and so on..Some of the story are full of imagination, and some are close to the ordinary life and to the society. I mean,they reflect the worry of people and the problems in the society. I don¡¯t know whether you, westerners,are tired of vampires,ghost boats or not, but I would say that in our eyes these things are chaming and mysterious. Last,I think Mulder is a wonderful man.He isn¡¯t a hero like superman,but a true man. You can say that he is great,somehow, I¡¯d rather to say he¡¯s clinging. The disapprence of his sister is only made him investigate,but later why he continues ,I think,is a belief that he should search for the true. However,He sacrifices a lot.I remember once he returned home after visiting Scully in hospital,seeing his room messed by the Amy, he cryed!!!I was really touched. Though TXF has come to its end,I think there is no terminus for this story.

PS:Why does Mulder always stick ¡°X¡± on the window?Looks cool,but why?

Good old days of x-files era are back

Author: Adarsh Bohra
8 December 2015

It's an intelligent masterpiece, an epos of beautifully complicated scenarios, plots and characters. Eruditely taking on the grayest of areas, confronting those things under your bed and inside your closet thus bringing new meaning to the fears brought on by conventions and the imprudent obstinacy of social norms. The script, the actors and the direction make the most unbelievable seem believable and the unfathomable- unfathomably real. So thought provoking that if you really let yourself dwell in its essence, it can change the way you see the world, if only just by believing in the conviction that The Truth Is Out There.

Perfect Timing on the Return to Greatness!

Author: scottmannen1 from Canada
24 January 2016

I actually watched the episode before taking the time to write a review about it. Too many people wanted to be first to write the reviews to the returned series, and have managed to get away with it by providing a review with the most generic information possible, so much so that it becomes glaring clear they never actually say the first episode. I suppose you can't blame someone for wanting to be a part of the return to greatness!

I did watch the first episode, and it truly has been done correct! I figured that X-Files season 10 was either going to be 'boom or bust' endeavour. Lucky for us they really did right by it by bringing back all of the old regulars, bringing in some new talent that looks respectable, and changing the theme completely! It's no longer about the aliens vs. The human race. Instead Chris Carter has humans using alien technology as the root of all evil, the corporations behind them and the evil agenda's they are pushing!

9/11 was just the beginning according to an older, wiser Mulder. These evil cabals led by the Smoking Man are using ufo's, nanotechnology and sub-orbital UAV technology to track Americans everywhere and anywhere. Without spoiling the main story, which by the way tracks as far back as to Roswell, and as recently as 9/11.

There is a real tension that plays heavy to the U.S. conspiracy, even more than before! If episode 2 which airs tomorrow evening is as good or better than this, then we are in for a rare nostalgic treat! That's what a feel like when I am watch this show: A Nostalgic Treat.

Enjoy!

A List Actors! Sadly, "B Movie" scripts

Author: meagsu-966-785384 from Vancouver, BC
11 February 2016

I am truly sad for David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. It must be difficult for them to watch Season 10 of the X-Files. Both are very talented and since the original series ended, their careers have flourished along with their talent. They must have had high hopes for the "new" X-Files as their fans did as well. Why else would they bother? They certainly didn't need to kick a dead horse. But kicked it they did! Unfortunately, I am astonished at how bad the writing is for this new season (10). I blush as they struggle to deliver this dialogue and material. How does this happen? They had a "hit" TV show delivered on a silver platter, fan base included! But what....they couldn't afford any decent writers? I'm baffled.

The first episode was a little stiff and the dialogue was not quite right for these two characters. They attempt to introduce facts or information by leading statements that are really fake and not the way anyone would talk, never mind these intellectual characters. It's almost insulting. I hoped that the second episode would be better, and I excused the issues as growing pains. Then I found myself laughing (more from embarrassment than humor)at the second episode. It seems to spiral down very quickly. The premises is ridiculous, the dialogue is that of a really bad B horror film.

I am not surprised there will only be 6 episodes. Not sure what went wrong with this project but it truly is...well, embarrassing. My sincere condolences to David and Gillian.

Brilliant

Author: xsnowangelx from Colorado, US.
6 December 2005

The X-Files is one of the greatest shows ever made. The concept was original. The chemistry was amazing. Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny make one of the best on-screen pairings of all time. Week after week, the X-Files consistently delivered solid, fantastic entertainment. They had a great team of writers who wrote such original and brilliant episodes as 'Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose' and 'Beyond The Sea'. Whether it was straight horror: Season 4's 'Home', horror mixed with humor: Season 5's 'Bad Blood', or just good old aliens: Season 2's 'Little Green Men' X-Files did it best. It lasted a long 9 seasons and inspired 1 movie so far, and I am devastated that I have no new X-Files to see. There have been many imitations since it ended but nothing will ever come close.

Political Correctness with a Thin Veneer of Sci-Fi Drama

Author: vpassenheim-425-965723
17 February 2016

I used to love the X-Files. This reboot not only asks of the viewer to disregard everything that was "learned" the first 9 seasons of the show while at the same time characterizing anything and anyone with a right of center perspective as being a complete, ignorant, hate- mongering buffoon. The politically correct bias is so in your face militant that I can no longer watch it without feeling like I'm being vomited on. Goodbye X-Files!

Nothing left to say so I'll just repeat to get minimum 10 lines of text.

Horrible and even worse because expectations were so high

Author: Buddhafrog from Fairfax, VA
25 January 2016

I can't understand the high rating this show is receiving. That was one large pile of alien excrement. It stunk and was a chore to watch. With how much anticipation this show generated, I was honestly shocked that FOX would release such a poorly written, stupidly rushed, and embarrassingly bad acted show. There was very very little going for this show - probably about a 2 or 3 rating. But because of the material and financial support this show has, I held it to an even higher standard. Thus, a single, lonely star for a a singularly poor episode.

I predict that this show rating will slowly but continuously decline as more people watch without blinders. It was historically bad. I will say that I understand the challenge the show had - how to pay honor to the past while setting the stage for the future. That is the one thing this show did semi-well, at least in that they did set the stage for whatever mystery/drama/setting they will explore this season. But I promise, I have zero interest in seeing where it will go and will not waste another hour watching.

Page 2 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]