IMDb > "Walker, Texas Ranger" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Walker, Texas Ranger"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Walker, Texas Ranger" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

The most unrealistic--and awesome--cop show of all time.

Author: Chromium_5 from Minnesota
15 July 2004

This show was so much fun, I don't even know where to begin. I loved it as a kid, and I still love it now when I see it in reruns... only now it seems hilariously hokey, which makes it even better.

Not only did every single episode have the exact same plot (evil criminal mastermind wants to get rich and/or take over Texas), but the EXACT SAME THINGS happened, too. For instance, in EVERY episode of the show, Walker and Trivette would walk into a bar and start questioning the bartender. After about 15 seconds of questioning, the bartender, along with 10 or 20 random patrons, would break out in karate. Apparently everyone in Texas knows karate. It's like a cult down there.

And then there were the episodes where Walker would tell stories of a Texas sheriff who lived in the days of the Old West... who was, of course, played by Chuck Norris. I believe there was also an episode where Walker himself was transported back in time to the Old West.

I could go on and on, but I'll just summarize by saying that it was an awesome show, with awesome karate fights, and awesomely unrealistic plots. But of course, it was never meant to be taken seriously; it was just meant to be enjoyed. It also neatly wrapped up every episode with a nice moral or message. Thank you, Chuck Norris, for eight years of ass-kicking action.

Kick butt action-adventure the whole family can enjoy!

Author: bassbonediva from United States
10 August 2006

It was a sad day in my house when this series aired its farewell episode. It was a ritual for my dad and I to sit down every Saturday night and watch Walker, Texas Ranger. I was teased endlessly in high school for being a Chuck Norris fan, but this series made it all worth it. I got my weekly dose of uncynical, clean-languaged action and got to laugh at the sometimes too-good-to-be-true situations. It was nice to have a show out there that didn't feel like it had to use foul language and sexual innuendos every ten seconds to appeal to their audience. I love Chuck Norris' multi-cultural character and the way he mixes Native American wisdom with kick-butt martial arts. Clarence Gilyard's character, James Trivette, was perfectly cast. No one I have talked to could imagine anyone but Clarence Gilyard playing Trivette. He was good in Matlock, but he was sensational in Walker, Texas Ranger. Noble Willingham made for a perfect CD Parker--in fact, he reminded me more than once of my Uncle Jimmy. Sheree J Wilson could not have been cast more perfectly as Assistant DA Alex Cahill, Walker's courtroom nemesis at first, then later his love interest. My favorites, though, have to be the later addition of Judson Mills as Francis Gage and Nia Peeples as Sydney Cooke. Could there have been any more romantic tension between those two?!?!? Judson Mills added a certain almost school-boy charm when it came to bantering with Sydney and Nia Peeples was perfect in the way she let Gage know he was utterly clueless when it came to women. My dad used to say "You know, you can only take so many boots to the face before you just don't get up anymore and I think Walker has exceeded his limit." I was sad to see this show end, but I'm glad that USA Network and the Hallmark Channel air reruns of it, even though they are mostly older episodes from the early '90's.

Thanks Chuck!

Author: graicnikol from United States
8 November 2006

Thanks to Chuck Norris and everyone involved for taking on the issues of the day head on! Mentioning God, respecting other religions and cultures, drugs and gangs, and keeping it on a family viewing level reminds us that TV can still get the point across without having to be dirty. Watching Walker Texas Ranger revives a spirit of decency in me that I used to feel when I was a kid. When most people were decent people. The police don't enforce laws that deal with moral issues anymore, especially using filthy language in public where it's obviously inappropriate, like in a nice restaurant on Mother's Day for example. I believe that decent people should still have the right to be decent people in public, and, others who want to reduce them to their own pathetic level should still have to pay the price for their incorrigibility. Anyone with their head on straight knows that filthy language is just another form of violence where someone can hurt someone without touching them physically.

The "Snakes on a Plane" of Television

Author: Gafaddict from New York City, United States
29 October 2006

Yes, the acting is horrendously bad. Yes, the dialog is unbelievably cheesy and stale. Yes, the plots are unoriginal and don't make sense. But damn it, when was the last time that we were able to just turn on the television, sit back and enjoy the action without having to deal with some over-the-top action/drama that goes way too fast and shoves some moral lesson on life in our faces? That's what makes Walker Texas Ranger so enjoyable -- it really recreates the feel of those classic Westerns that used to be on all the time back in the '50s. So horrendously bad that it's great to watch when you just need some time to unwind and forget about everything else. And you've gotta admit, it paved way for a great comedy segment on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. I know I'll still be watching this for years to come.

hilariously amazing mini action movies

Author: ( from athens ohio
19 November 2006

I as well shared in the family sit down time with Walker, watching it with my dad as did my roommate. Nothing was better than sitting back and just watching an action movie in an hour.

Now obviously, there is a lack in actual quality in the show as far as the writing goes, but it's always hilarious to see the far-fetched plots that the writers come up with. He somehow manages to get involved with gangsters, drug lords, crooked cops, satanists, kidnappers and all sorts of people despite the fact that he's only a Texas ranger.

Despite this, anyone should be able to sit back, laugh at Chuck Norris' antics, while watching all sorts of things get broken (he always breaks everyone's furniture but no one ever seems to get too mad about it), things blowing up (almost immediately on impact most of the time) and slow motion spin kicks as well as some clever villain banter. The native American episodes are always interesting too with hallucinations and visions...Walker is part native American, so he has supernatural visions.

The theme song always amused me too. The original theme song had a hilarious guitar lead part that reminded em of Top Gun or something and I lost it when I fist heard the song sung by Chuck Norris. Nothing will ever be as good as "the eyes of the ranger."

I don't really know how I felt about the addition of the newer younger characters, but I guess after so many years, you have to do something new. It just didn't seem the same to me anymore after they were added though. Nothing compares to Trivette and Walker's seasons alone for the most part. If you haven't seen this show and you like actions movies, then I highly recommend checking it out, as it airs several times a day.

A pure CBS hit!

Author: Grace Zeh ( from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
23 January 2006

This show, in my opinion, is a pure CBS hit! Despite the fact that I've never seen every episode, I still enjoyed it. There are many episodes that I enjoyed. One of them was where Walker (Chuck Norris) and Alex (Sheree J. Wilson) got married. If you want to know why, you'll have to have seen it for yourself. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everyone always gave a good performance, the production design was spectacular, the costumes were well-designed, and the writing was always very strong. In conclusion, even though it can be seen on USA now, I strongly recommend you catch it just in case it goes off the air for good.

Awesome TV series

Author: bennymelman from United States
4 March 2009

Now, I am not from the times when Walker was on. i'm only 10, Walker Texas Ranger finished when I was only a toddler. but watching the re-runs of the show, i can tell that is awesome, exciting and sometimes even funny! Walker always wins, he rarely gets hurt in the fights. Best TV series I ever seen! OK, here's the way the show goes: Ranger Cordele Walker- (Chuck Norris) is a Texas ranger partnered with a younger ranger named Jimmy Trivette- (Clarence Gilyard Jr) and the episodes usually begin with a crime scene and then you see the rangers at their office when they hear about the crime. they go out and find the bad guy. a while later, they plan a showdown, and Walker goes with Trivette in their truck, finds the bad guy and beats him up. after that, the rangers reunite or something, then the episode ends. the show is super! i strongly recommend it, Chuck Norris kicks butt. 10/10

There is a Walker in all of us

Author: MN-Troy from Minnesota
20 April 2011

The year was 1993 and there was darkness across television. Chuck Norris appeared and decreed: "let there be a show starring myself as a Texas Ranger named Walker." Now there was show called Walker Texas Ranger. And that is how the show got started. Chuck Norris did not have to persuade CBS to broadcast his program; he simply demanded it and it was done. Thus begins my wonderful journey into the kingdom of Walker Texas Ranger.

Yes the formula for Walker Texas Ranger was simple but effective. Case in point: Walker and his partner Trivette would be cruising down the streets in their Dodge Ram and notice some illicit activity going down in the park. They would get out investigate said activity--- and by now everyone knows the shady looking characters are dealing dope. The 6 or 7 dope dealers feeling very cocky think they can take on Walker and his partner. Big mistake! Apparently the dope dealers have never seen Norris's action blockbuster: TOP DOG because if they had, they would known that Norris was an 8th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. After Walker and his partner punch and kick justice into the lowlifes, they learn the dope is being shipped and concealed through cans of baby formulas and thus begins the story.

Walker Texas Ranger would adhere to that type of story line every single week and BINGO, the viewers were awarded 9 years of bliss. Of course the critics and elitists would pooh-pooh the show calling it over-the-top and badly acted, but they don't understand the appeal of those types of shows. The viewers enjoyed Walker Texas Ranger because they know the bad guys will get what's coming to them at end, but like to see Walker karate chop his way to the point.

I know Chuck Norris is very busy selling the TOTAL GYM but if ever have the chance to meet him I would shake his hand and tell him THANK YOU for bring Walker Texas Ranger into my home and my life every Saturday Night.

A truly excellent series.

Author: Riley Hale from Information Withheld
5 October 2010

Walker: Texas Ranger was without a doubt an excellent series, as someone who works in law enforcement I can say that the show is nothing like real life but that is not its purpose, it is not meant to be taken seriously it is simply meant to be pure entertainment, action and drama often with an important message as well, the series was certainly a great one and I'm my opinion it ended all too soon, I didn't always have a chance to see it when it was on TV so I purchased the entire series on DVD back on 08/01/2010 and finally finished watching it on 10/04/2010, All the series is worth seeing and in my opinion it had to specific weak points, Cordell Walker (Chuck Norris) and James Trivette (Clarence Gilyard Jr.) are great characters and are always interesting on screen, to me they are one of the best pairs since Starsky & Hutch, Alex Cahill (Sheree J. Wilson), C.D. Parker (Noble Willingham), Carlos Sandoval (Marco Sanchez), Trent Malloy (James Wlcek) and all the secondary characters also do a great job and have few if any weak moments, I also liked the addition of Francis Gage (Judson Mills) and Sydney Cooke (Nia Peeples) for the final seasons as they brought a new flavor and presence to the show, I'm also glad the series ended on a strong note instead of waiting until it eventually ran its course and became stale and boring, The Final Show/Down Part 1 & 2 were an excellent way to finish up the series, one thing I really liked about the series was it didn't solely rely on firearms to get the job done but focused on Martial Arts and team work as a much better solution, There are however a number of things in the series that made little sense, for example: Trivette switching from a SIG-Sauer P226 to a Walther P5 which no one in law enforcement would even contemplate doing and being able to defeat numerous opponents in unarmed combat which might work sometimes but no one is capable of winning every single time no matter how good they are.

One of the biggest draw cards of the series for me is of course Chuck Norris who is one of my favorite actors and being a Martial Artist myself he is also someone I greatly admire which is not something I say lightly, watching Lone Wolf McQuade(1981) with Chuck Norris and David Carradine was what got me into Martial Arts in the first place and thus I have been a fan of both ever since, I'm my opinion the series could have lasted another 9 seasons without losing its edge but as I already stated I am glad it ended on a high note, I can certainly understand why some people don't like the series, not even remotely close to real life law enforcement, poor weapons handling, atrocious dialog, sometimes poor acting, overuse of actors, far fetched plots, way over the top action pieces and sets/locations just to name a few but to me the series is meant to be nothing more then entertainment which it more then delivers, there is not one single episode I didn't like in one way or another, So in closing Walker: Texas Ranger will always be one of my favorite series' on TV, I completely understand why some people do not like it but as for me it will always have a special place in my heart.

Unbelievable, but in a good way

Author: xredgarnetx from Connecticut
14 June 2006

You pick your favorite episode and I'll pick mine. I just watched the episode where Walker helps run a karate school for disadvantaged kids and earnestly works to keep one particular kid from becoming a gangbanger. The acting couldn't be worse, the dialog is atrocious ("My little sister was killed in a drive-by shooting so I put my purple belt in her coffin"), the blocking and even the action are all third-rate. Instead of immediately taking down the bad boys near the end, Norris challenges the entire gang (all 50 of them) to a fistfight -- which he naturally wins, and handily, I might add. Then and only then does his backup posse move in to make the arrest. The whole thing is made of moldy cardboard and cheese. And works. Norris the Most Wooden Indian of Actors since Charlie Bronson clearly cares about the subject, and it shows. The gangbanger stuff is cartoonish but true enough at its core, even if most of the gangbangers on screen are right out of "West Side Story," and there is a touching dedication to what I assume was a real-life dead gangbanger at the end. The footage of real street kids in a real karate class is heart-tugging, even when two young gangbangers show up at the 11th hour and haltingly ask if they may join the class. The message is loud and clear: no drugs, no gangs. Of course, Norris plays the Great White Hope and it is only because of his efforts that these poor Mexican-American kids ever see the light. Let it stand. The message is heartfelt. I'd say show this episode in schools, except the kids would probably laugh at it. For one thing, no blood. Plenty of shootings and violent fighting, but no blood. No one dies, either. Or not that I know of. If any of the gangbangers buy the farm after being shot, the episode does not make this clear. The focus is on the running down and subsequent recovery of Walker's bar owner buddy plus the drive-by shooting and recovery of a very clean-cut adult Mexican-American who runs a garage and was a former gangbanger whom Walker turned around. Natch. Oddly enough, Walker's longtime partner and constant companion Trivett spends all but the last 30 seconds of this episode in or near their office. Walker goes solo for reasons best understood by the scripters. Maybe the actor playing Trivett was sick or injured during the episode's shooting. I wish I had never found out Norris wears a rug. It is all too evident in this episode, and quite distracting as it is a mullet job. Norris wore much shorter and far less obtrusive rugs in the final years of the series.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]