IMDb > "The Untouchables" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Untouchables" More at IMDbPro »

One of the great shows of the '90s

Author: Sinnema from United States
5 February 2005

"The Untouchables" had many great elements:

1. An excellent cast, including several familiar faces from TV and films: Tom Amandes ("Everwood"), William Forsythe ("John Doe," "UC: Undercover," "Out for Justice"), John Rhys-Davies ("The Lord of the Rings," "Raiders of the Lost Ark"), and David James Elliott ("JAG").

2. Some entertaining -- if historically unrealistic -- stories, combining gangster action stories with looks into the personal lives of the characters, especially the relationships with Al Capone (Forsythe) and Eliot Ness (Amandes) and their respective wives and children.

3. Fantastic theme music by Joel Goldsmith (I'm still humming it, and I haven't seen the show in 10 years). I wish they had released a soundtrack album for the series.

Though the show was on for only a year and a half, "The Untouchables" was able to tell a complete story, fleshing out both the heroes and the villains into complex characters, and it wrapped up most of the plot lines by the final episode.

This series would make an ideal DVD box set. Are you paying attention, Paramount?

Good Entertainment

Author: GeneralB from USA
16 April 2001

This 1990s version of "The Untouchables" was actually pretty good, and was one of the better programs on FOX when it aired. The stories were engaging although, as in previous versions of "The Untouchables", they perhaps took their creative license at bit too far at times(Al Capone and Elliot Ness in a boxing match?!!). However, the real strength of the show was the performances. Tom Amandes and Paul Regina work well as Elliot Ness and Frank Nitty, and John Rhys-Davies does an even better job as Malone. But the greatest performance is without doubt that of William Forsythe as Al Capone, who really steals the show, and makes it quite worth watching. I think he did a better job in the role than Robert De Niro did in the 1987 movie. Indeed most of performances were better than those in the movie, which was itself not a bad piece of work.

Great Series!

Author: gstevens-2
26 June 2003

I can still remember how shocked I was when I heard this program was cancelled. Every episode was good; one even dealing with bootlegging on an Indian reservation( where liquor had not been permitted to be sold for years prior to Prohibition.) I was also struck by the stunning look-alikeness of Tom Amandes to Jimmy Stewart. They could have been twin brothers.Even their voices,mannerisms were similar. I wonder if this had anything to do with the series sudden disappearance. William Forsythe was the best Capone to-date, even outdoing de Niro. The supporting cast was also excellent. I think this series was better than the original series with Robert Stack. What made Stack so good was his toneless performance.Amandes gave the character flesh and blood and a mind. Would like to see the series out again.

very well done

Author: olds2347 from georgia, u.s.
24 February 2003

I liked the series very much. the acting was top notch, particularly by William Forsythe. the series format definitely allowed the principle characters to be much more elaborately portrayed than the limited two hours available in a movie. I have been hoping that this series would become available in DVD format. I think it would be a must buy item for any serious videophile.

A few comments to make...

Author: mistermycroft
19 July 2003

Yes, this really was a great show. Two corrections to make on the previous comments that were left: a) The show DID last more than one season; it was on for two. The show ran from January 1993 to September 1994 (the last new episode aired in June 1994). b) Second, it was not on FOX, but on UPN (or whatever they called themselves in the early 90s; it may have been "Universal 9" here in the NY area.)

I think the show ended because William Forsythe announced he was not coming back for a third year. Also, I remember there was some controversy back in 1993 because there was a healthy dose of ethnic slurs on the program, directly mostly towards Italians, Irish, and Poles, and some Italian-American groups were offended by it.

As good as it always has been

Author: E.C. Montana (epevae) from Berlin, Germany
3 January 2003

Enjoying the airing of the Untouchable series on Polish TV in English, I find the story as fascinating as the times I´ve watched it before. Aside from the excellent choice of actors/actresses, the tragedy and funny side of the topic is clearly tangible in almost all episodes. Especially when Ness is forced to rescue Nitti from a revengeful boy who´s cop dad was killed. Irony at its best.

Although the story happened nearing a century ago, it is as vivid and valid as ever.

Excellent scripts, great actors, and a fascinating story untouched by time.

Canned way too soon

Author: (gstevens-2)
25 July 2001

I saw this show early on in its first few episodes and was very favorable impressed by the great performances of Tom Amandes as Elliott Ness( by the way, Mr Amandes looks enough like Jimmy Stewart to almost be his twin brother, I could,'t believe the very close resemblence), and Robert Forsythe, who played Al Capone. Mr Forsythe brought a measure of depth to the usual Capone gangster portrayal. I hope that this show will still be viewable even as reruns. It was canned way too soon.I would even like to see it on vhs. It would be well worth the buying price.

Definitely worth watching...

Author: Booyah from Washington, DC
19 October 1999

One of my favorite movies of the 80s was "The Untouchables," and when I saw that a show was coming out on the same subject, I thought it would be another crummy TV spinoff like "Uncle Buck."

But, despite the fact that the TV show didn't have the big names of the movie version, I found the show to be much more believable and suspenseful, without the glaring anachronisms that the movie had (e.g. Frank Nitti being killed at the Capone trial in the movie).

William Forsythe (Capone) does an INCREDIBLE job...he AT LEAST equals the great Robert DeNiro's performance of the same character. Also, John Rhys-Davies and Tom Amandes give great performances and the show's writing was excellent. It's a shame it had such a crummy time slot and was canned so soon.

Excellent series and canceled way too soon

Author: rita-butler from United States
10 January 2005

I really liked the development of the characters throughout the episodes I have been able to watch. Especially the character of Paul Robbins played by David James Elliott. The story lines were clever and kept me watching from episode to episode. The actor that portrays Elliott Ness does indeed remind me of Jimmy Stewart. With the onset of reality TV programs, I miss the scripted dramas of old and would really like a revival of good series programs such as The Untouchables. If you enjoy gangster movies and shows where the good guys win, you will enjoy this program. In my opinion, it was canceled way too soon. If it were to come out on DVD, I would buy it in it's entirety.

Well-made TV drama

Author: Lucinda123 from Texas
8 April 2008

This was such an excellent show! I, too, was shocked and disappointed when it was dropped. There are few shows for which I actually made time in my schedule to watch, but this definitely was a weekly "event." In addition to the great stories, acting, camera work, etc. it also had first-rate scenery and costumes that really added to the portrayal of that time period. (Sometimes it was a little too violent for my taste, but hey, it's Al Capone, so what do you expect?) And, yes, one of the all-time greatest TV theme songs. My fingers are crossed that this series will someday come out on DVD. I would not only get a copy for myself, but also several gifts.