IMDb > "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Jewel in the Crown

Author: Lupercali from Tasmania
30 August 2002

DS 9 is simply the best of the Star Trek series, and, I suspect, will eventually emerge from its black sheep status and be remembered as the most mature and compelling SF series of the 20th century.

So what makes it so good? The whole overarching concept about Bajor, the wormhole aliens, Cisco's origins and destiny, the tension between different races and characters, and (perhaps most of all) the _continuity_ once the Dominion War begins (in many ways the last four seasons are more like one collossal 75-hour movie than a series of discreet episodes).

If there is a fault to DS9 it is probably that it took some time to hit its straps. The early seasons were not up to the quality of seasons 4-7, but when Worf arrives, The Defiant arrives, Cisco shaves his head, and The Dominion set their sites on the Alpha Quadrant, you have yourselves a hands down classic for the final 4 seasons.

Character development and personal relationships are handled far more satisfyingly and richly here than in any other ST series. There is nothing elsewhere in the ST franchise to compare with the Odo/Kira relationship (or even the Odo/Quark, Bashir/O'brien relationships if it comes to that). There are no dud major characters (even if Avery Brooks is given to occaisional fits of extreme over-acting) - and nestled in amongst the Dominion War story arc somewhere is that one little jewel of an episode where the entire cast are working for a SF pulp magazine in the late 40's - an absolute pearler that I could watch over and again.

I became far more emotionally attached to the characters of DS9 than any other Start Trek series. I recently re-watched the whole thing on video, and was genuinely sad to see it end, all over again.

Damn, I miss that show. They could have run it forever as far as I'm concerned. The really sad thing is, it was such a perfectly self-contained story that there is almost no prospect of any DS9 movies - which is doubly tragic, if the Next Generation movies are going to finish with Nemesis.

Or maybe not. Let's face it; Star Trek has failed on the big screen more often than it has scored. Where it really belongs is on the small screen, and DS 9 is the pinnacle of its achievement in that media, in my opinion.

Greatest series of all time

Author: ec-7 from australia
16 December 1999

Before DeepSpace 9 I could say that I was not much of an ST fan. But I rented our the first movie "Emmisary" once just to take a look at what some had been saying bout it. From here on I was hooked, this was the most rich and diverse universe I've seen in a long time. None of these one shot location scenes being whole planets. None of these random encounters every episode with a brand new planet and new race and having no consequence on other episodes to follow. No, DS9 was far more detailed, you have politics, religion , love, drama ... everything. It makes the show seem so real. Then coupled with some of the most uniqu , interesting characters you just can't but help fall in love with this show.

A plot with such a well crafted and beautiful linear path always leaving you wanting more and wanting to know how it will all turn out. With the occasional intensly humourous episodes to the tears of a loss of major character. Deep Space 9 has it all and more.

Words alone can not describe how entralling and captivating this show is, you really have to see it for yourself. Deep Space 9 has something about it that no other show has or can come close to achieving.

Nothing compares.

Trek for everyone else

Author: anonymous from SF, California
16 October 1998

I won't say much about "Deep Space Nine" other than that it is the most well written, off-beat, and truly suspenseful of the Star Trek series. It is the series for everyone else... those who don't enjoy happy Star Trek (ie- "Next Generation), weird Star Trek (ie- "The Original"), or dumb Star Trek (ie- "Voyager").

It has a much darker tone, with a story-line that, if anyone watched from the beginning of the story arc to what is on currently, could understand and enjoy. It doesn't have the traditional "We are the Champions and can solve any problem in an hour". It features low-life, people making mistakes in judgement, conflicts over spirituality, and a much more human and less superficial look at one of pop culture's little universes. It features war-torn individuals and petty conflicts over land. Problems with culture-clash, government conspiracy and corruption, etc... This list could go on and on.

The main thing that makes "Deep Space Nine" different is that it is a Star Trek series for folks who don't want a lot of technobabble (not that there isn't any) Star Trek, where problems just go away or perfect people on a perfect ship that always win. It makes it more interesting for the watcher, almost like reading a novel. Most people, especially non-Trek fans, who had watched the series from its conception or joined when the story arc began about 4 years ago will know what I mean when I say this is an untraditional type of Star Trek. And those who haven't, try it. It's definitely a move away from the stereotype most folks have about the Star Trek series (though of the other Star Treks, I can't say the same.)

IMAGINATIVE SERIES

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
2 May 2002

Before Deep Space Nine aired back in 1993 I felt quite a bit of apprehension. How could they have a Star Trek series without a ship going off exploring? I wasn't going to watch it but being a fan Star Trek and Star Trek:The Next Generation I had to watch it.

I was pleasantly surprised by Deep Space Nine. The stories were fantastic. The writers were very imaginative-they had to be. There was no jetting off in starships from planet to planet. Everything was set on Deep Space Nine which made for more interesting storylines. And storylines continued throughout the season. Deep Space Nine was not like most sci-fi shows where starships leave a planet at the end of the episode and jet off to their next adventure. Instead, all the action came to Deep Space Nine instead.

The characters were good too and not all of them were buddies with each other. Avery Brooks made a good Commander and the talented Nana Visitor did a good job playing Kira. Two other memorable characters were the mysterious Odo and the slimy Quark.

If anyone wants to watch a thought provoking show without seeing starships jetting off from galaxy to galaxy then this is the show for you.

The best Trek by far

Author: thebeermonster23 from England
17 July 2004

This is easily the best of all the Star Trek series. The characters are likable, and develop well over time. Of course it helps that many of the characters are warm and funny and very well fleshed out. Quark is a favourite of mine, always funny and well acted. The story itself is great, and really picks up in season 4. Having a plot that develops throughout rather than just stand-alone stories like many of the Next Generation episodes helps it a lot. The Religion v Science aspects are an interesting addition to a science-fiction show. Ideas created in TNG are carried forward and developed, such as the Trills, while in TNG they simply move their personality to a new body in this the idea is taken further and the personalities are merged, making the race much more interesting. One of the great aspects of the show is the relationships between the characters. O'Brian and Julian seem like genuine friends, Odo and Quark and their rivalry, and the on going feud of Sisko and Gul Dukat, the two commanders of the Station. The series created some genuinely good characters. Sisko, the Federation Officer torn between duty and destiny. Garak, the traitor with decidedly dark past, and Gul Dukat, a truly great villain. The series succeeds with a grand plot, paints a wider picture of the Star Trek Universe, and would make for some great feature films.

DS9 is the best

Author: litejay83 from N Y
22 January 2005

I'm 21 years old, not many of my friends watch star trek, as a matter of fact, I don't know anyone in my age group who watches star trek, too uncool for them. I'm almost ashame to say that voyager was my first love. first because of 7 of 9, she was the sexiest thing i've ever seen.

But just out of curiosity I downloaded "Emissary" and "What you leave behind". I did the same for TNG, I downloaded "Encounter at Farpoint Station" and "All good things." Needless to say, I was most impressed with DS9. It was so real, well written and well acted.I downloaded as much episodes as i could find online. but I could only find about 50. Damn! so...

I had no choice but to get the whole 7 season DVD collection. It was so expensive too. I think it's the most expensive DVD set series out there. Anyway It was a good investment. The episodes were so good. I watch them over and over. each time i see something new in the episodes and I appreciate it more.

A part of me was wishing they would make a movie out of DS9 but after seeing what they did with TNG and nemesis..no way. Leave DS9 as it is. It's a thing of beauty. I only wished more people my age would give it a try. I mean i "loved" janeway,I thought she was great and the episodes were great but after seeing just a few episodes of DS9 i know it's the best and Dax is my girl...both of them. I love Kira too and Sisko(yea yea i know he's not as "charismatic" as picard but you know what, he's firm, direct and real. DS9 Pour Toujours

Innovative, Intelligent and Interesting

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
19 January 2008

DS9 is one of my all-time favorite television shows. It edges out Star Trek's original series just barely as my favorite in the franchise. I am not going to state that it's the best Star Trek series, because it definitely will not appeal to everybody, but it is my favorite.

DS9 deviates from the Trek franchise formula in an important way - it is based on one location - a Cardassian-built space station near the planet Bejor. So even the architecture of the main set is alien - not another sterile militaristic star ship inhabited by a primarily white European crew - but a true Babel. Bejor has just been liberated from 60 years of occupation by an expansionist militaristic race - the Cardassians. Both Bejorans and Cardassians will play important roles throughout DS9. Since the station does not move much during the show's seven year run, DS9 has a much stronger sense of place than the other ST series, and is able to develop story arc and character continuity much more powerfully than the others.

All of the major characters and most of the frequent returning characters have their own interwoven story arcs - most of which span the entire series. Ben Sisko (Avery Brooks), the station's commander, is a somewhat disgruntled Star Fleet officer who has several personal vendettas which have almost driven him from Star Fleet. He is also a single parent and a genius. In the very first episode, Sisko's arc begins and it is clear that his story will be the frame within which the entire series is organized - though the reasons for this will no become entirely clear until near the end. Also memorable are the gruff, shape-shifting Chief Constable Odo(Rene Auberjunois) who does not know what he is and where he came from; Kira (Nana Visitor) Sisko's aggressive and intense Bajoran second officer; Garak (Andy Robinson) a Cardassian Tailor and - possibly - spy, who is easily the most well-developed, well-acted and interesting recurring guest star Star Trek has ever had; Jadzia Dax (Terry Farrell) - the beautiful Trill science officer whose consciousness is enhanced by the memories and personality of a 600 year old symbiotic slug who lives in her stomach and has inhabited dozens of previous hosts; Julian Bashir (Alex Siddig) - the station's young, brilliant, adventurous and naive doctor; and Quark (Armin Shimmerman), the greedy, conniving, but entirely lovable Ferengi casino owner.

The characters, cast, and serialized stories make DS9 stand apart from the franchise as the most powerfully plotted, intensely dramatic and politically charged Star Trek ever. The show is, however, not for those with limited attention spans and a disdain for complexity. While it isn't exactly hard to follow, the dialog is often dense and DS9 - more than any other Trek show - uses non-verbal communication very well. Brooks, Visitor and Robinson - all of whom are masters at this - are particularly non-verbal and make a big impression from the first few episodes.

Throughout the series, there are constant underlying political intrigues and surprisingly little filler. Almost every story connects with the main story arc (Sisko's and Bejor's) in one way or another, and no time is wasted with aimless experimentation by the writing team (a problem Voyager and Enterprise both suffered from).

The production is consistently theatrical in scope. The special effects are still - even today - above average for television, and even the new BSG doesn't approach the scope and coherence of the plot.

Highly recommended for bright people looking for something more than typical TV drama normally delivers.

The Best Written Star Trek Series Ever

Author: Diane Dixon (trydabuffalo) from Detroit, MI
25 September 2004

I loved this show, even though at the time it was out, I was rather young. I didn't get all of the plot lines. So when they put it back on Spike TV, I was delighted. The characters were complicated, hilarious and interesting and the story lines were fantastic. I can only think of maybe a handful of bad episodes*when I say a handful, I mean about 6, almost all of them having to do with the Grand Nagus.* Unlike Voyager, which kept jumping the shark every other episode, DS9 kept you interested with one storyline. The only time this show ever turned bad was when they killed off Jadzia. And as the 7th season progressed and we got more and more used to Ezri, the showed jumped back. In my opinion, it was just as good or even better than TNG and I think that they should really make a movie out of it. All we've been stuck with is Enterprise and reading the 8th season of DS9.

Deep Space Nine – A Space Epic for the Ages

Author: Christian from Canada
19 November 2007

I remember reading in a plane that there was going to be a new Star Trek Series based on a space station to premiere in January 1993. I had always found the idea of Star Trek very appealing and enjoyed a few movies and original episodes now and then. At that time, I had never really got into The Next Generation which my family and friends seemed to love, but I figured I would at least give this new show a try. As I eventually sat there with my little brother and watched the two-hour pilot, little did I know that this would change my life for the next seven years, as I would have to plan my weekends so that I could catch every new episodes on Saturday nights like football fans' semi-sacred Sunday afternoons.

So why did I fall in love with the show? Why indeed do we fall in love? Well, there is always a part of the answer linked to resonance; something that stirs something strong and positive within you. The show is a whole package of powerful television and one of the best gifts I ever bough myself was the complete seven seasons in DVD. Now, besides the intangible, the 'magic' that comes from many elements like the beautiful mind that arises from firing neurons, here is why this television series is not only a great science-fiction experience, but ranks among the best television series of all time in my humble opinion.

A) The Characters

At the base of it all, the show's strength is with its interesting, conflicted and complex characters. Both the writers and actors bring life to characters that will invade your living room and your head, maybe your heart. The relationships they create on the busy space station are sure to keep you thinking, laughing or crying with them. They are very endearing and perfectly heroic and flawed. You get to know each and every one of them in a deep real-life-like layered way. You also get to see them progress and stay the same, throughout the journey.

Beyond the friendship-like familiarity that will awaken in you the characters of Odo, Quark, Jadzia, Worf, Ezri, Kira, Julian, Miles and the Siskos, the guest characters are developed in an astonishingly similar depth. Again the writers and actors pull their heart out to create the most memorable recurring characters that feel as much part of the show as the regulars. Garak, Dukat, Rom, Nog, Leeta, Vic, Martok, Gowron, Wynn and Weyoun— to name a few—are as complex as alien DNA. It is like having a basketball team with superstars on the bench to support the starting five when needed.

B) The Story

Set on a space station —and the major critic and setback for most Trekkers that prefer an exploring ship a la Enterprise—the story is far from static. In fact, with the Star Trek fashion of exploring current human questions and themes in this futuristic backdrop, DS9 will explore everything from religion, war, death, slavery, genetic engineering, homosexuality (first homosexual kiss on TV!), geniuses, heroes, rebels, politics, commerce, racism, multiple personalities, memories, continuity, resurrection, time, peace, love, parenthood, marriage, espionage, mass murders, prison, biological warfare, terrorism, to the military and martyrdom. All that and more is explored in a thoughtful, meaningful way and kudos to the show for not only exploring them, but for remaining in the interesting gray area. There is nothing black and white. Everything (and I mean everything) is questionable and an opportunity for thoughts and discussion.

The story is a balancing act between mundane nuances of life and epic goals, dreams and actions. If it is not a problem with Sisko's son at the space station school, it is the discovery of a new technology, the casual friendship of Miles and Julian, the encounter with a new race that may threaten the existence of the half the galaxy, Odo's existential crisis or the possible assassination of a prominent political or religious figure. All this is so well woven together and each has its importance in the smaller and grandeur scheme of things to make this fabricated Universe feel complete and utterly real and engaging.

C) The People

The writers, directors, cast and crew were without a doubt dedicated to make this thing work and it shows in the most obvious and subtle ways throughout the series. Actors will take the director chair on occasion to direct their colleagues or sit down with the writing team to discuss character development. Special effects, sets, costumes and make-up artists make crucial contributions to make the alien-filled universe seem believable. The passion that exists behind and in front of the camera is palpable and welcomed. You really feel that the whole production team has a common dream in bringing this labor of love to the viewer week after week. The consistent quality of the show over years (170+ episodes) from "Emissary" to "What You Leave Behind" is a testament to this desire to give more to the audience and create something to be proud of. Well, Ira et al, a sincere thank you and a hat-tipping bravo.

Best show ever

Author: gabe-129 from United States
20 January 2012

I will say it started off kinda strange. most star trek series is spent having adventures on a star ship. This series for the most part stays on Deep space nine. Although there is still plenty of adventure. The thing that really makes this show so good is its large cast. It has many reoccurring secondary characters that help the the space station seem like a fascinating place for the show to take place. This story is much darker and more thought provoking than the other series. This series has so many things going for it.

Characters actually grow and change realistically and has reoccurring villains that have real depth and you never know quite what they are going to do. kai Winn and gul dukat both grow and change from series beginning to end and are the best villains ever.

This show has depth. It not all simple good guy and bad guy. There are complex motives behind many of the bad guys. Even the federation does some very bad things when they are in dire situations. People really have to live with the choices they have made. Problems from one episode don't just end with the episode like with TNG or the OS. you have to watch this from episode 1 to the end in order.

This show is still very relevant today. Terrorism, genocide, martial law are all seen in this series.

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]