IMDb > "Saved by the Bell: The New Class" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Saved by the Bell: The New Class"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

The Franchise Takes a Major Dive!

Author: TheTVConnoisseur from TheFilmConnoisseur
26 June 2003

What went through the heads of Executive Producer Peter Engel and director Don Barnhart when they conceived this concept. After the success of the original show there were a string of imitators and this show seems to be one of them. It is like a self-parody with a cast who's chemistry are no where near the excellence of the original. And why is Screech an assistant principal?!

What a sad show this was!

A Very Noticeable Crack in the Bell Now.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
27 June 2005

"Saved by the Bell: The New Class" wore on and on for eight seasons and an amazing 143 Saturday morning episodes from 1993 through 2000. None of the students in the revolving door of Bayside High in California make much of an impression and we are left with old alums Dennis Haskins and Dustin Diamond trying to salvage any dignity the concept once had. Nothing is very successful though as the premise is old and tiring with past situations played out by lesser performers who may have careers as models, but not legitimate television actors and actresses. More proof that old ideas played out with new people is rarely successful in American television programming. Turkey (0 stars out of 5).

This is NOT a bad show

Author: Mike Eder from Naperville IL
10 November 2005

I liked this one better myself. First of all Screech and Belding made a great comedic duo. They were two of the only people doing modern slapstick and they did it well. Granted Screech's fake voice in later seasons was not needed but they were very funny. The kids were also a little nicer to Screech. OK so he is older, but the kindness they showed him was so much better then the nasty put downs from the original. I mean it just made Lisa, Jessie etc. look bad. Natalia and Sarah are two of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen. The guys who played Ryan, R.J, and Tommy were all funny and the only real drawback was the changing cast. I think season 2 and 3 are the best cast wise because of Natalia and Sarah but all were decent. It is just that even if these were more likable characters, you hardly got to know them. I did not mind the life lesson part. I was pretty innocent when the show first aired and these (along with City Guys, and Hang Time) were the only T.V. kids my age I related too. I was nothing like the people on 90210, and was not ready for sex or drugs. The New Class was a clean cut alternative that made me feel good watching it.

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
26 September 2000

To sum it up: this show was terrible. The plots were worn out and just recycled from the original show. The characters were also just cheap replicas of the original characters. This show should have been cancelled after Season 1, so we all would have been spared this horror. Now it is finally dead. Thank you very much.

This series is considered reasonable, but the setting is wrong, TBH, IMO.

Author: irehawk from United States
13 February 2017

I understand that recycled plots are considered bad because, not only attract unwanted attention, they also destroy the original versions along the way.

Even if this show destroys the original version of the original class, then this show should not be turned down completely bad at all. The 1st season cast, except for Dennis Haskins, is trying to imitate the original class, but the 1st season is trying to get along without broadening their horizons too quick. But no broadening their horizons would be a letdown. Although, I have a feeling that these recycled plots should not be in both Bayside and Valley High Schools because both high schools are considered both ableists and ageists.

The final seasons were a complete letdown when the Tony falls in love with Maria than Liz, leaving Liz which one heart, but luckily she dated Eric on the prom episode, which ended that drought somehow. We already know why Screech was denied a raise and ended up in strike. But that strike shouldn't last because Bayside is not where Screech should work and is not where recycled plots should be in.

This should be in a different public high school which is neither ableist and ageist and that's where the 1st season cast should have been and that's where Screech should be working at. Although, that new principal in that new place should be imitating Belding and can work with Screech along the way.

Alternatively, I'm glad both actresses Tiffani Amber Neilsen and Elizabeth Berkley (Kelly and Jessie) never saw this show and never guest appeared in "Goodbye Bayside (2)" episode because it endangered their own real lives, unlike the other original SBTB class cast members.

Finally, I know some of the SBTB new class crew member group is now partly ableist, ageist or both, but the rest are neither ableist nor ageist and Executive Producer Peter Engel is also neither ableist not ageist of this show, TBH, IMO.

not as good as original but not too bad either

Author: rockmt from Boston, MA
30 July 2008

It has been over a decade since I last watched Saved by the Bell: The New Class but remembering how I grew up watching the hilarious series, I was not able to hesitate borrowing the DVD tapes from the library to watch again.

After watching several episodes of seasons 3, 4, and 5 again, the first thing I have to say about this series is that true enough, the plots and story lines cannot match the original SBTB series. The acting was very wooden at times, the scripts likewise seemed too scripted, the story lines seemed rehashed from the original series, and there weren't as many serious issues the characters dealt with as compared to the original series that hadn't been covered already. All of this made SBTBNC rather average.

Yet there were some things that made SBTBNC very worthwhile to watch. The fashion was definitely better than the original series though that's my opinion because I was teenager myself during SBTBNC's years. Seasons 4 and 5 also hit well with the stepbrother duo of Ryan and Nicky and the hot tempered Maria also being a delight to watch. This series also branches out of the high school and shows what teenagers can do outside of school such as obtaining part time jobs, doing community service at a hospital, and travelling (all courtesy of a good economy during the Clinton years). Surprisingly, the odd and unlikely duo of Mr. Belding and Screech also helped keep the series alive.

One may wonder why Screech is not in college but working as Mr. B's administrative assistant and that is because his days as a Bayside student prepared him for this. After being tormented, cheated, used, bullied, mocked, and ignored throughout high school, Screech very likely felt like an insecure loser, and this was his opportunity to relive high school and try his luck again. His emotional outbursts (though sometimes overacted), his obsession with being the save-the-day know-it-all, his off-campus ventures such as an out of control lottery ticket gambling habit and balloon business (season 4) to a second job as mall security guard (season 5) also proved that Screech was more insecure than ever and was trying to come out as a hero and overcome his perception of himself as a loser. Yet there were times that Screech would cunningly outsmart the students or even Mr. Belding himself which showed that he did shed some of the his old timid self.

This same goes for Mr. Belding who is always friendly to his students but by this late a time is clearly suffering some sort of midlife crisis and tries to deny that he is getting old by refusing to wear glasses (season 4), trying to prove that he has special abilities in all areas (running a hospital experiment, taking ballet classes, running outside businesses at Palisades Mall, and living in a mock space shuttle) and desperately trying to be the best mentor and friend to his students. Underlying the comedy, the theatrics, and the overacting,these two characters reveal very serious, scary, and at times depressing issues that have to do more with life after high school and sends a potent message to young viewers.

All in all, the series is not as bad as one thinks.

Not Again ( Report Card )

Author: None-142 from USA
8 August 1999

I would give this show a D- only because it has got to go. We've already seen the original of Saved By the Bell which by all means was not the greatest comedy. In the original series there were some problems. Everyone was either the best of or the worse. That is what made the show have stereotypes. I mean what ever happened to a normal society !

Now that the new series arrived it is a living nightmare where it's the same thing over and over again. That is not good. You just don't repeat a series that way because what happens is that the actors become static characters in which they do not undergo any significant change. That makes the show BORING.

Even Family Matters did ten times better than Saved By The Bell because "Steve Urkel" would never hike up his pants in the final series. If there were to be another show similar to Family Matters I would die. I would in fact destroy every piece of that new series and have it sunk under Milly Vannily's carrier. Maybe that is why Jaleel White said he would **never play Urkel again** ( Family Matters 200** )

Copy cats

Author: kclambeth from United Kingdom
12 July 2007

Why couldn't they just leave Saved by the bell alone instead of bringing it back with clones. I cant believe i liked watching this when i was younger.

Every year someone leaves and is replaced, they all date everyone in the group and Mr. Belding-yuck, is he in love with his students?! Screech used to be good-what happened? I liked Ryan probably because he was cute but that's about it, most of the acting was hmmm...mediocre at best.

I only have one more thing to say about it. The most memorable yet stupid quote in the world by Mr. Belding "if there's alcohol at a party, just leave!" Ha ha, yeah right, why leave? Just don't have any or have one or two no harm done. I understand that in the US you can't drink til 21 but in the UK it's 18 and didn't seem a big deal, some kids here are drinking at 14. I don't admire binge drinkers but i hardly think one beer means you're a bad kid. My friend and i still joke about this when we're having a drink ourselves.

Oh good heavens!!

Author: Rebecca Sanford (thespark215@hotmail.com) from Nova Scotia Canada
12 June 2003

This was a mistake from the very begining! Just a replacement of the old cast. What i can't get over though is Screech. His VOICE!! WTF is that about? He had a normal male voice squeeky only here and there, in the last year of the original show and in the college years. SO WHY ON EARTH DID HE HAVE TO GO BACK TO THAT GOD AWFUL VOICE IN THE NEW CLASS?!! Oh it makes me even madder when i think about it. gotta go before i through something!

Bayside's BORING Class!

Author: (simonblairr@yahoo.com) from Montreal, Quebec
3 February 2003

There isn't much to say about this gig except for how it very much tarnished Saved by the Bell's reputation. I can not come to grips with how long this boring class lasted. What makes me shake my head is that a spinoff of Saved by the Bell would be so lame. Another thing is the comeplete mishandling of College Years. Peter Engel was a genius to continue Saved by the Bell in a College Years format with the many of the original friends from Bayside. What hurts loyal followers of Saved by the Bell is how the Saved by the Bell project was 1 for 3 with TWO MAJOR failures and only ONE HUGE success. The most ironic thing about the two major failures, New Class & College Years, is how one was the opposite of the other. What I mean is that College Years had a great deal of potential and should have lasted on NBC television in primetime or simply pulled back to Saturday Mornings. New Class on the other hand, had little to offer after seeing Zack and his friends at Bayside from 1989 through 1993. College Years should have actually lasted as long as New Class, which should have had the plug pulled on it in 1994 and been replaced by College Years. Looking at how many episodes of Bayside's BORING Class were made, makes a lot of people realize that it was basically shamefully taking the place of College Years on Saturday mornings. I'll never forget the direct connection New Class has to College Years. This TV show with Zack and his friends at CALU in the Golden Bay Area will probably and shamefully enter TV lore as the only prematurely cancelled show with the most potential. In a funny way you can say that there are two versions of College Years. One version is what we saw in primetime which was 17 episodes; don't count the last two with the rediculous plot about Zack and Kelly deciding to getting married. The other version is the one that never played out in front of our eyes on television, which should have been all those episodes that the cast of the New Class were SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, allowed to do. New Class should go down in television history as the only totally undeveloped show that lasted too many years without ever having any potential.