IMDb > "Saved by the Bell: The New Class" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Saved by the Bell: The New Class"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

The Franchise Takes a Major Dive!

Author: TheTVConnoisseur from TheFilmConnoisseur
26 June 2003

What went through the heads of Executive Producer Peter Engel and director Don Barnhart when they conceived this concept. After the success of the original show there were a string of imitators and this show seems to be one of them. It is like a self-parody with a cast who's chemistry are no where near the excellence of the original. And why is Screech an assistant principal?!

What a sad show this was!

This is NOT a bad show

Author: Mike Eder from Naperville IL
10 November 2005

I liked this one better myself. First of all Screech and Belding made a great comedic duo. They were two of the only people doing modern slapstick and they did it well. Granted Screech's fake voice in later seasons was not needed but they were very funny. The kids were also a little nicer to Screech. OK so he is older, but the kindness they showed him was so much better then the nasty put downs from the original. I mean it just made Lisa, Jessie etc. look bad. Natalia and Sarah are two of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen. The guys who played Ryan, R.J, and Tommy were all funny and the only real drawback was the changing cast. I think season 2 and 3 are the best cast wise because of Natalia and Sarah but all were decent. It is just that even if these were more likable characters, you hardly got to know them. I did not mind the life lesson part. I was pretty innocent when the show first aired and these (along with City Guys, and Hang Time) were the only T.V. kids my age I related too. I was nothing like the people on 90210, and was not ready for sex or drugs. The New Class was a clean cut alternative that made me feel good watching it.

A Very Noticeable Crack in the Bell Now.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
27 June 2005

"Saved by the Bell: The New Class" wore on and on for eight seasons and an amazing 143 Saturday morning episodes from 1993 through 2000. None of the students in the revolving door of Bayside High in California make much of an impression and we are left with old alums Dennis Haskins and Dustin Diamond trying to salvage any dignity the concept once had. Nothing is very successful though as the premise is old and tiring with past situations played out by lesser performers who may have careers as models, but not legitimate television actors and actresses. More proof that old ideas played out with new people is rarely successful in American television programming. Turkey (0 stars out of 5).

Why????????

Author: pickydeer from FL, USA
28 December 2002

What in God's name was the use for this show? It was a poor man's version of the original. The original was starting to wear out its welcome, before it was timely removed, this junk should have went after the first season. Why would Screech come back, did he need money that bad? Was he so typecast that he could not get a job in acting anymore?

I woke up early one morning ca 1998, and I could not believe that this crap was still on, I guess Saturday morning programming aimed at the children-teen market does not have to be Sophisicated. I am supposing the show executives thought that all the old fans of the original series moved on and a younger generation needed their own Saved by the Bell. Crap!!!!!

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
26 September 2000

To sum it up: this show was terrible. The plots were worn out and just recycled from the original show. The characters were also just cheap replicas of the original characters. This show should have been cancelled after Season 1, so we all would have been spared this horror. Now it is finally dead. Thank you very much.

Not Very Appealing

Author: TMC-4
16 October 1999

I would consider the material on Saved by the Bell: The New Class to be in the sub-par range. Granted the original Saved by the Bell (or what can by called Saved by the Bell: The Old Class) wasn't close to being a masterpiece on its own terms as it was filled with cheap jokes, stereotypes, and some outlandish storytelling even for a high school farce. But at the same time the cartoonish qualities that surrounded Saved by the Bell made the show appealing in the first place. In contrast, there's really nothing appealing about the New Class. The humor is bland, the writing is pretty lazy, and it the show can often be uneven. When I use the word "uneven" I'm directing this towards the fact that the show carries a rule (otherwise known as E/I) handed down by the Federal Communications Commission the there has to be certain ethics and/or morals in the stories. Because of the New Class' relatively lame writing (i.e. in the comedy department), we get a feeling that we are being throughly talked down to. Granted other sitcoms that have aired on NBC on Saturday mornings carry this rule also, but in contrast, those shows have better writing and are more entertaining. Another problem is that the New Class can't really distinguish itself. Some people have considered the stories from the first few seasons of this show to be exact duplicates of episodes from Saved by the Bell: The Old Class. Not to mention that this show has gone through numerous cast changes which somewhat creates a problem because it's harder to get used to things.

not as good as original but not too bad either

Author: rockmt from Boston, MA
30 July 2008

It has been over a decade since I last watched Saved by the Bell: The New Class but remembering how I grew up watching the hilarious series, I was not able to hesitate borrowing the DVD tapes from the library to watch again.

After watching several episodes of seasons 3, 4, and 5 again, the first thing I have to say about this series is that true enough, the plots and story lines cannot match the original SBTB series. The acting was very wooden at times, the scripts likewise seemed too scripted, the story lines seemed rehashed from the original series, and there weren't as many serious issues the characters dealt with as compared to the original series that hadn't been covered already. All of this made SBTBNC rather average.

Yet there were some things that made SBTBNC very worthwhile to watch. The fashion was definitely better than the original series though that's my opinion because I was teenager myself during SBTBNC's years. Seasons 4 and 5 also hit well with the stepbrother duo of Ryan and Nicky and the hot tempered Maria also being a delight to watch. This series also branches out of the high school and shows what teenagers can do outside of school such as obtaining part time jobs, doing community service at a hospital, and travelling (all courtesy of a good economy during the Clinton years). Surprisingly, the odd and unlikely duo of Mr. Belding and Screech also helped keep the series alive.

One may wonder why Screech is not in college but working as Mr. B's administrative assistant and that is because his days as a Bayside student prepared him for this. After being tormented, cheated, used, bullied, mocked, and ignored throughout high school, Screech very likely felt like an insecure loser, and this was his opportunity to relive high school and try his luck again. His emotional outbursts (though sometimes overacted), his obsession with being the save-the-day know-it-all, his off-campus ventures such as an out of control lottery ticket gambling habit and balloon business (season 4) to a second job as mall security guard (season 5) also proved that Screech was more insecure than ever and was trying to come out as a hero and overcome his perception of himself as a loser. Yet there were times that Screech would cunningly outsmart the students or even Mr. Belding himself which showed that he did shed some of the his old timid self.

This same goes for Mr. Belding who is always friendly to his students but by this late a time is clearly suffering some sort of midlife crisis and tries to deny that he is getting old by refusing to wear glasses (season 4), trying to prove that he has special abilities in all areas (running a hospital experiment, taking ballet classes, running outside businesses at Palisades Mall, and living in a mock space shuttle) and desperately trying to be the best mentor and friend to his students. Underlying the comedy, the theatrics, and the overacting,these two characters reveal very serious, scary, and at times depressing issues that have to do more with life after high school and sends a potent message to young viewers.

All in all, the series is not as bad as one thinks.

boo hoo

Author: giambi_fan25
19 October 2002

this show sucks. i dont know why anyone would waste their time trying to make a show that was even better than a great show. i have no clue why they went all the way to 2000. it should have lasted not even a year. it had the worst cast and kept changing them. i have no idea why they got screech back in it if he was in college at the time. anyway the show is terrbile. if anyone thinks this show is better than the original saved by the bell, i suggest you seek a theraipist or guidence counsiler.

All and all it was a good show

Author: Darlyams from Flintshire, Wales
18 November 2001

As one of the shows biggest fans, I would say that it is a good show and the only thing I didn't like was when Lindsey and Ryan broke up, even I will say that that was copying the old class, but despite what others said it did have some original storylines like the earthquake, the fight and the singing contract. The best thing about this show would have to be Eric as in my opinion (and from what I've heard everyone elses too) he was the most original character on the show and the best. I was upset when this show ended, all and all I give this show a 9 out of 10 (whatever anyone else says)

Not Again ( Report Card )

Author: None-142 from USA
8 August 1999

I would give this show a D- only because it has got to go. We've already seen the original of Saved By the Bell which by all means was not the greatest comedy. In the original series there were some problems. Everyone was either the best of or the worse. That is what made the show have stereotypes. I mean what ever happened to a normal society !

Now that the new series arrived it is a living nightmare where it's the same thing over and over again. That is not good. You just don't repeat a series that way because what happens is that the actors become static characters in which they do not undergo any significant change. That makes the show BORING.

Even Family Matters did ten times better than Saved By The Bell because "Steve Urkel" would never hike up his pants in the final series. If there were to be another show similar to Family Matters I would die. I would in fact destroy every piece of that new series and have it sunk under Milly Vannily's carrier. Maybe that is why Jaleel White said he would **never play Urkel again** ( Family Matters 200** )