Rocko's Modern Life (1993–1996)
- Rocko: Mostly as a comic store employee, but has also spent time as a runway underwear model, a plumber's assistant, a "specialty-phone-operator" (phone sex operator), and an animator.
- Filbert: It was established in one episode that the turtle is a professional photographer. He has also spent time as a lounge singer, a clerk for the DMV and an animator.
- Heffer: Has had the most jobs including security guard, golf course greens-keeper, coffee shop barista, animator, and Chewey Chicken employee.
- Mr. Bighead: Works for Conglomo as an executive in many departments.
- Rocko's name is taken from the animal that he's based on: the rock-wallaby native to Australia. His personality is based on a wallaby that Joe Murray witnessed at a Bay Area zoo. According to Murray, the wallaby "was oblivious to the chaos around him."
- Heffer's name is derived from the word "heifer," meaning a female cow that hasn't borne a calf. He is based on a friend of creator Joe Murray. This friend reportedly had limited social interaction and a voracious appetite. The design of his body was based on the shape of a hamburger, and his face, particularly his mouth, was based on the shape of a hot dog.
- Filburt was created when Joe Murray decided that a turtle was best for an animal that was "afraid to come out of his shell." His name came from Murray deciding that he was a "nut" with a "shell that needed to be cracked," so he was named after the filbert nut, which is a species of hazelnut.
- The Bigheads were inspired by two things: a couple of mean-spirited neighbors that Joe Murray grew up around, and the invasion of the cane toads in Australia, which led to ecological breakdowns. The latter of the two may be the inspiration behind the combative relationship between the Bigheads and Rocko, who of course is from Australia.