IMDb > "Rocko's Modern Life" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rocko's Modern Life"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rocko's Modern Life" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Excellent

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
27 June 2000

Rocko is without a doubt one of the best Nick Toons that ever existed. It had a creativity that few Nick Toons could ever match. This show is violent and sometime a little rude, and that is exactly why it is so funny. It's a funny series and is one of my personal favorites.

An Offbeat Classic

Author: syossethighschool
30 July 2004

In October 1993, something magical happened: an unassuming little cartoon called "Rocko's Modern Life" debuted on Nickelodeon. Sure, the premise might have sounded a little bizarre; I mean, how many programs do you know that center around an immigrant Australian wallaby trying to live his modern life with the help of his best friends, the gluttonous steer (NOT a cow, mind you) Heffer and the perpetually nervous turtle, Filburt? Throw in his toad neighbors, the Bigheads, his job as a clerk at Kind-of-a-Lot-O-Comics, and a cast of zany secondary characters, you've got yourself a downright offbeat cartoon. But you can't take "Rocko" at face value. You have to look deeper, watch an episode, and really laugh at the clever-yet-simple jokes that pepper the action.

And don't, under any circumstances, write this off as a kids' show. As you might know, "Rocko" came under fire for its "mature" content; in other words, the series harbors many, many, many inside jokes and innuendoes just below the surface. Just take a look at some episode titles ("Schnit-Heads," "Who Gives a Buck?"), some character/establishment names (Doctor Bendova, the Chokey Chicken fast-food restaurants), and countless other little occurrences throughout every episode.

A stark, unique animation style, one that presents everything at a slight angle, provides a great backdrop for Rocko's adventures, and paints a truly different world that sets the cartoon apart from all others.

And through it all, a surreal sense of humor reigns supreme. On what other cartoon could you find a Museum of Pointy Objects, police activities that include arts-and-crafts, a vacuum with a neutering device, or a family of wolves that adopted a steer?

It certainly didn't deserve to be canceled after only three seasons, but in the fickle world of children's programming (especially on Nickelodeon, a network infamous for canning innovative series and renewing the dreck year after year), it just wasn't prepackaged, marketable, and mainstream enough to work out. But that's what I like best about "Rocko"; it's truly different from anything else you could ever find on television, a little outpost of originality in a TV world full of copycats and clones. Rest assured, you can still enjoy Rocko, Heffer, and the whole gang, provided you have digital cable, on Nickelodeon's all-cartoon outlet Nicktoons TV.

Overall, a ten out of ten, but shave a few points off if you don't automatically crack up when you hear this classic "Rocko" line, courtesy of Heffer: "Hey, Rock, do that funny face you make when you're buying eggs."

A charming, humorous and off beat show that pleases.

Author: TheFishy from Washington, DC
25 June 1999

I've been a fan of the Nick childrens TV channel for a long time. And down the road I have never seen better work from them then the work that is "Rocko's Modern Life".

The show is about aa Australian wallaby who comes to America. This wallaby (Rocko) is a funny looking character who wears the same thing all the time and is voiced by Carlos Alazraqui who now voices the Taco Bell dog. His friends Heffer Wolfe, an overweight steer and Filbert Turtle, a turtle help him through his life. While his neighbohrs, the Bigheads, don't help a bit.

Sounds strange right? Sounds like ANY other cartoon right? I think not.

The show has a different type of humor. With some adult references thrown in as well that are rather shocking for a Nick show. The animal humor (Heffer is a steer, not a cow. Rocko is a wallby, not a rabbit) is used in many kooky and hilarious ways. And although sometimes they can seem stupid, lines are repeated from episode to episode. And every now and then these lines are given a 180 degree twist of humor. While the mucas jokes could be settled down, the humor isn't very slapstick and is cartoonish witty humor at its best. Sure it's offbeat, innappropite and as I said is more of an adult show then a kids show (humor wise, not content wise) it's still very funny.

And when the show isn't funny it shines with charm. The characters are very easy to get behind and it flows like a sitcom. It has its dud episodes with good jokes wrapped into a bad plot, but overall the show is very charming. The characters have their own catch phrases and traditions which all give twists. Even when the show has run out of twists they add even more to thrill the viewing audiance into laughter.

Rockos Modern Life is an excellent example of the beginning of the adult cartoon era. It was made in 1993 and I believe it set the stage for more grown up cartoons like "The PJs", "Futurama" and "South Park". Sure The Simpsons helped much. But Rocko wasn't a stupid move. It shouldn't have gone on any other network. It was a bold move by Nickoloden and the shows director Joe Murray. And that bravery and boldness, led to Rockos Modern Life. One of the best animated series to come around yet.

SERIES GRADE: A-

Crude, Rude, and it's one of the best shows on Nickelodeon

Author: dee.reid from United States
17 July 2001

This show is about a young wallaby named Rocko who moves with his dog Spunky to the United States from the Austrailian Outback. He immediately befriends Heffer Wolf, a steer who was literally raised by a family of wolves. Rocko and Heffer like to hang out around the neighborhood much to the dismay of Ed Bighead, the angry toad who lives next door.

I'm not going to lie, this isn't really a kids show. It contains a lot of adult humor, some wild violence, and a lot of other stuff that most people would label as disgusting.

Rocko's Modern Life is in fact one of the better shows on Nickelodeon and it's actually funny. It's not filled with a lot of stupid sex jokes or worn-out humor that's used on most of the shows that are on Nickelodeon now.

One Of The Best Cartoons Ever!

Author: gluba2000 from South Boston, Massachusetts
19 November 2004

Rocko's Modern Life is a classic!

The jokes are hilarious!

I loved this when I was a kid but now that I'm a teenager and watching the reruns on the Nicktoons channel I'm noticing jokes that flew over my head when I was little.

Like the devil counting up to 665 but messing up before he got one more, the whole episode Leap Frogs, Bedfellows, they said hell a few times and I think a damn (not sure about that last one though.)

Rocko is a show that people of all ages can enjoy but a lot of the jokes only teens and adults will get.

Rocko needs some DVD love badly! I would love to have this on DVD (in season sets, preferably) I would buy it if it were released out onto DVD!

"Modern life" is a hoot!

Author: Christopher Smith
13 June 2004

Rocko's Modern Life was one of the original 5 nicktoons on Nickelodeon, and it was by far the best of those. It was a hilarious show with some sophisticated humor that was only understood by the older crowd (ie The Chokey Chicken). It was created by Joe Murray, with some writing done by Stephen Hillenburg, who later went on to create the revered 'Spongebob Squarepants." Unfortunately, production was halted around 1996 and continued to air in syndication until 2000. It occasionally appears on Nickelodeon about once a month. Hopefully, Nickelodeon executives will realize that it is a cult classic and should be released onto DVD sometime soon so a whole new generation can enjoy this classic show.

The Golden Age

Author: SeinDSfeld (SeinDSfeld@aol.com) from New Jersey, USA
30 March 2005

Rocko's Modern life came out at a great time in Animated cartoons. The early 90's birthed Ren and Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead, Batman: Animated series, and many more. This was a time when it seemed sick humor was at its greatest, and also when it seemed cartoons were the only entertainment to fulfill our needs. When it seemed like people were taking chances at cartoons that were outside the box. Depraved, neurotic, sick, funny, and even sometimes smart. Making you think, and enjoy at the same time. Unlike the cartoons now that are all the same, because they're all made by the same company. The stupidity was its best asset; the characters were classic, and it even made a comment about society; the capitalism, Conglom-o being the fat cats, and even one hilarious episode dealing with Recycling. Even though Rocko didn't last long, people still remember it as one of the best.

One of the Funniest Shows on Nick

Author: Pythe from Plainfield, IL
26 August 2001

This show had to be one of the best on Nickolodeon I've ever seen. The humor was fresh and always new in what they were doing as they followed the adventures of a wallaby, a rather unique and clever idea for a cartoon character, and his dog Spunky and friends Phil the turtle and Heffer the cow. The kind of jokes used here were usually sick and always hilarious sight gags, but the writers were intelligent enough not to depend on one kind of humor alone to carry the entire show. The dialogue was witty and always hit the mark, the plots delightfully wacko, and the characters surprisingly lovable under the insane exteriors. One of the best shows was when Heffer became a night watchman ("No experience necessary; Carry a stick and hit things") and loses touch with his hu(cow)manity, forcing harsh punishments on even his best friends. What follows is an excellently done parody of "The Shining."

Unfortunately, I did not become aware of the show until after it had been canceled (story of my life) and so I was forced to depend on reruns. Alas, I have missed the show. Rocko, we hardly knew ye. (P.S. Check out the theme song by the B-52s. They were perfect for the job.)

HILARIOUS

Author: gigicamey (gigicamey@yahoo.com) from New orleans, LA
7 December 2004

I remember watching this as a kid with the other great Nicktoons-Ren and Stimpy, Rugrats, etc. I loved this show and am going to be getting that Nicktoons channel now, so I can watch the old episodes again. I completely missed the adult humor in the show, Chokey Chicken??!

My favorite episode of all time is the one where they have to fly somewhere, and in the first class section of the plane there is a piano player, someone carving a ham, and it just looks like the inside of a mansion. Then when Rocko gets to the back of the plane, where he has to sit, its like a barn and there's chickens running around in the aisles. And he cuts his one peanut for dinner with a knife and fork!!! HHA!!! Anyone who flies Delta can relate. BRING IT OUT ON DVD!

Another Nickelodeon Cartoon Classic!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
23 May 2004

Rocko's Modern Life was one of my other favorite Nickelodeon cartoons! Rocko's Modern Life was a hilarious cartoon about a wallaby named Rocko who went to America from Australia. He lives in a place called O-Town and tries to get through life but, of course, comes across a multitude of dilemmas and misadventures he must get through. Along with his two good friends Heffer, a steer that was raised my wolves and a easily upset turtle named, Filbert. Rocko also has two next door neighbors Mr. and Mrs. Bighead, Mr. Bighead really detests Rocko and hates having him as a next door neighbor! Why did Nickelodeon cancel this show and other good classic Nickelodeon cartoons like this one, The Ren and Stimpy Show, Ahhh! Real Monsters, Invader Zim, CatDog, Kablam and especially Angry Beavers and just leave some of the bad shows on the air like Rugrats, Rocket Power and The Wild Thornberrys? WHY? WHY? But I am glad that SpongeBob Squarepants and The Fairly Oddparents are still on. Those two are the only good ones on now!

User Rating: 7/10

BOTTOM LINE: THIS IS ONE OF MY NICKELODEON CLASSIC CARTOON FAVORITES! IT'S TOO BAD NICKELODEON KEEPS HAVING SOME OF THE CRAPPY SHOWS ON LIKE RUGRATS AND ROCKET POWER!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]