IMDb > "North of 60" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"North of 60" More at IMDbPro »

This program is is about people on a fictional dene reserve in the Northwest territories

Author: christinaemma (christinaemma@hotmail.com) from Burlington ONTARIO, CANADA
27 November 1999

I personally love North of 60 it is dramatic, but is funny at times and it deals with real situations that happen on dene reserves.

I believe that this is a truly entertaining program and that if you haven't checked out this series that is now in syndication you don't know what you are missing.

This cast is extraordinary and the show deserves the praise that it does.

This show was filmed in Bragg Creek, Alberta and the scenery is breathtaking

I have learned a lot about the dene people through the program and I think it deserves 5 stars *****

An excellent 6 year run for this series

Author: BigLaxFan94 from Mono, Ontario - Canada
9 February 2004

I've watched this series from its first episode in 1992 to its final episode in 1998 and I'm glad that I did because it was so well produced and everything. Of course, it was pretty much an all-Native cast with a few white actors/actresses who fit their roles in the show perfectly. The whole series along with the 4 movie sequels were all filmed in Bragg Creek, Alberta however they could have just as easily filmed the series up in actual Dene territory in NWT if they wanted. Its not clear to me why they chose to film it down in southern Alberta.

But anyways......... all in all, an excellent series with superb sequel movies to go with it.

It was a great series!

Author: royal_319 from United States
8 February 2005

I'm actually from the United States and happened upon the show while watching some Canadian television on CBC. I loved the show right from the start. I had never seen a Native series on television before and this show was captivating. You could relate to all the characters in one way or another, it didn't always feel like just a Native show. The characters had problems that we all have, they went through experiences we all eventually go through and it was just well put together. I've seen all the episodes repeatedly and even though the show has been off for years, but continues through made for TV movies I still hunger for more North of 60!

North of 60 has been voice of native peoples

Author: nightravenmoon21 from United States
10 May 2006

North of 60 , Broke though everything , For native people it has voice of all those who can't speak out but cry out for understanding with brilliant ways of a tribal lands and peoples who show family , Its dances around your sense's and make you closer too being what native culture is all about with the find acting of cast. Like Tina Keeper has strong willed woman who raise a son and is a law person , An independent woman who is smart know's what going on her rez, And you see young actors talents in Nathienial Arcand , Adam beach , . You will see a guy called Teevee , who can break your heart or make you mad and many others in cast that is memorable , Please watch this ,Native's and non- natives too .will love it .

From the first episode, I was hooked

Author: acmagic55 from United States
9 August 2007

I started watching this show when it started in 1992, and I was hooked, I saw every episode some more than once, I often watched the CBC but this show was one of the best on the network. The only thing that stunk is I am an American, Who lives in The United States and north of 60 is a Canadian show so I had nobody to talk to at the water cooler and I often wanted to talk about the show with someone. It had everything it could be funny, it at times was a thriller, a who done it, plus i cant think of another show about Native Indians, especially one that showed what great people they are and how beautiful a culture it really is, not just poor, uneducated people with drinking problems, or whatever the stupid stereotypes are out there! but how there normal people just like anyone else, with all the same problems and joys that all other Americans or Canadians have.

North of 60

Author: shirleyh-1 from Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
19 May 2007

I have watched North of 60 for a number of years, and it fascinates me just as much now as it did when it ended in 1997-98. It shows the problems the Natives went thru, with the animosity between them and the white people. It is a show of hardships, prejudice, integrity, community support, and the complications families can go through. The scenery is magnificent, and the various seasons were interesting to see how people adapted. It definitely opened my eyes to every day living in Canada with the Native Culture. The five shows produced after the Series ended, were great also! There is a 6th one in the making, but unfortunately, there are no funds available to release it. North of 60 has given a lot to its fans, and its too bad it had to stop at Season 6. The story line could have went on for years. Its shows like this, make me very Proud to be Canadian! Excellent Show!!