IMDb > "The Nanny" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Nanny"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Nanny" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

This show taught me to speak english!

Author: daria84
21 April 2003

That's right, it might sound stupid or crazy, but I learned english only by watching this show with subtitles! I Which means, I love this show! I loved it so much that I taped it and watched them over and over again, it's awesome. It's so hilarious and it really sux that it's over...

Just think about "The Sound of Music" same plot, different place, time and situations, all of them hilarious! Fran Drescher does an outstanding job as Fran, and the rest of the cast are equally good, especially Daniel Davis and Lauren Lane, As Niles and CC. Charles Shaughnessy is good too as Mr Sheffield. And how can I forget about Renee Taylor (Sylvia), Rachael Chagall (Val) and Ann Gilbert (Yetta), they totally steal the show :)

This sit-com is so good, that they even had tons of great guests, such as Liz Taylor, Rossie O'Donell, Elton John, Coolio, etc..... Anyways if you like light comedy and if you are not annoyed by Fran's voice, this is a must see comedy! ***** out of *****

Franny, The Nanny!

Author: David, Film Freak from Palmerston North, New Zealand
18 April 2001

Fran Fine (Fran Drescher, Saturday Night Fever) was working in a bridal shop in Flushing, Queens, 'till her boyfriend kicked her out in one of those crushing scenes.

What was she to do? Where was she to go? She was out on her fanny. So over the bridge from Flushing to the Sheffield's door, she was there to sell make up, but the father saw more.

She had style, she had flair, she was there, that's how she became the nanny.

In case you haven't already clicked, I had just typed out that most part of the beginning theme to 'The Nanny' - and that's exactly how the story was set. A make-up seller ends up at the door of a Broadway producer and becomes the nanny for his 3 children.

The English producer Maxwell Sheffield (Charles Shaughnessey, Days Of Our Lives) hates Andrew Llyodd Webber, and is known to say "I love you" before taking it straight back, again.

He has his faithful butler, Niles (Daniel Davis), and his arch-enemy and Maxwell's associate, Chastity-Claire Babcock (Lauren Lane) - these two are known for their sniping remarks and catty coments.

Fran helps the three kids Maggie, Brighton and Gracie (Nicole Tom, Beethoven; Benjamin Salisbury and Madeline Zima, Mr. Nanny) through boyfriends, girlfriends and the usual teenage stuff.

Adding to the mix is Fran's food-loving mother, Sylvia. Syvia's mom, Yetta and Fran's best friend, Val (Rachel Chaggal).

For 6 years, 'The Nanny' was a hilarious sitcom that never stopped being funny. With guest appearances like Elizabeth Taylor and Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop, its no wonder this show caught the attention of millions around the world! It will be missed. 8½/10.

great tv show

Author: Sunshine14clr from texas, u.s.a
26 June 2003

i really enjoy this show. there are re-runs on lifetime and i stay up later just to watch them. i get a lot of laughs. fran drescher is one of a kind. her nasal voice and her queens accent is adorable. i used to watch it long before it was canceled but not religiously. i'm starting to really enjoy it. the chemistry between all the actors is wonderful. i would suggest it to anyone. 9 stars out of 10.

Funny, Charming Series

Author: Enrique Sanchez from Miami, FL
11 November 2002

I thought the "there's something delightful about poking fun at being Jewish" was at the center of Fran's charm. You couldn't help but love her every step of the way.

Probably the best aspect of this series was that as a comedy, other series take themselves so seriously.

Not with Fran Drescher's THE NANNY. Fran knew exactly how far to push her lovable kitschy style and always kept it in check with her timing and sexy panache. The show concluded at the right time in the course of the series. By golly, you've got to give them credit for knowing when to stop. So many shows are run into the ground and the endings are hastily wrapped up. Not so with this program. The last episode was warmly sad for we devoted fans of this show. But it was done just right...just when you thought the time for the credits was approaching...through tears in your eyes....came out Grandma.

There were several characters which have been mentioned before in other reviews; all of which I loved...but by far the best was ANN GUILBERT as the grandmother. Her comic timing, her gentle way with her character, her facial expressions were so priceless reminds me now of how my own mother is advancing in her years. It is disappointing that she was not nominated for an Emmy for this series. Perhaps her part was not large enough. But oh, what she did with those precious minutes. It harkens back to those wonderful days when she was Millie Helper, Rob and Laura Petrie's quirky and nosy neighbor on the Dick Van Dyke Show. What a talent this women has given us!

Thank you, Ann....and thank you, Fran for choosing her to play this part. You are still sorely missed one and all. Thank goodness for syndication!

Last Of The Female Comedians

Author: shrek2004 from Manitoba, Canada
6 August 2003

This was a good show. Funny, sometimes a little immature or

vulgar, but overall quite good. Has anyone else noticed that since

the late '90s there have been almost no shows that have a woman

as the main charactar? (Ellen was another) Most shows today are

family shows that revolve around the husband or father. I think this

was one of the last lady shows. I used to love Fran Fine's outfits!

The wardrobe people really knew what they were doing with her.

Quite funny!!

Author: SkippyDevereaux from Parkersburg, West Virginia
8 December 2004

I never watched this show when it was on network television--I don't really know why, but, as of this comment, it is on the Lifetime Network and that is where I watch the show. I initially thought I would watch one episode, then never watch it again. How wrong I was on that one!! Okay, that nasal voice of Fran Drescher may irritate some, but heck, it works for the character and besides, that is her real voice. The entire cast was great all throughout the series, except the oldest daughter. For some reason, her character was the worst of the lot.

Renee Taylor was especially funny, as it seemed Sylvia was always eating or thinking about food and Ann Morgan Guibert was superb as Yetta. It is hard to imagine that this is the same woman who was "Millie" on "The Dick Van Dyke Show"!! I read somewhere that this show was the 90's version of "I Love Lucy" and in a way, I can see the comparisons. Wish the powers that be would release this show on DVD.

Charming!

Author: nycritic
22 April 2005

"She was working in a bridal shop in Flushing, Queens until her boyfriend kicked her out in one of those crushing scenes..." These are the introductory lyrics to one of the most popular sitcoms of the 90s which was in many ways heavily influenced by "I Love Lucy". Fran Drescher could not have found a better vehicle in which she could display not only her nasal talents but her exotic beauty. However the same could be said of Charles Shaughnessy, Daniel Davis, and Lauren Lane: neither film actors (albeit appearances here and there) this was the show which brought them to the forefront and made them household names. Fantastic chemistry between Drescher and Shaughnessy whenever they were on screen, the show had tact in playing on their sex-appeal in not bringing them together too soon but choosing to have them do a progressive discovery of each other, first through innuendo, then on longing and finally a well-modulated passion. This however did not bring the show to an end; their romance would be built upon and ending on a high note as Fran Fine gave birth to twins and had her dreams come true. A beautiful, outrageous fairy tale, to be seen and re-discovered despite its intrinsic New York-ishness.

6 years of glee

Author: (patygirl_df@hotmail.com) from Brasilia, Brasil
25 February 2000

Fran Dresher is a very nice person and a very funny and talented actress, she made us laugh for six years and I think she should stay with us for much time. Everything about the show is great, the cast is very talented, the story-lines are never repetitive and always funny, they left us in 1999 and after six years of the beginning it was still a hit. Maybe it's for the best, because we'll always have good memories of the show, they didn't wait until people became tired of it.

Good For Minors

Author: Sam_Loves_Friends from Australia
19 June 2007

I am eleven years old. This may seem to young an age to understand The Nanny, but ever since the reruns came on television, I became hopelessly addicted to it. The Nanny is a show that is funny, romantic and very surprising. Where else can you find crazy Jewish humour? Fran Drescher stars as Fran Fine, a mid thirty year old woman who is fired from her job and dumped by her boyfriend. Her troubles take her to the doorstep of Maxwell Sheffield. The rest as we say, is history.

Charles Shaughnessy is Maxwell Sheffield. A widowed man with three children. He is not sure of Fran first but eventually she grows on him.

Other outstanding performances from Daniel Davis and Lauren Lane.

Nanny vs I love Lucy

Author: smoopie8500 from United States
21 October 2007

I often thought "I love Lucy" was in a class of its own and could not be touched. Then came the Nanny, the way Fran uses her face and the way she got caught up in a silly moment and got in more trouble to get out of it .... is classic Lucy. Brava to the writers producers and actors for making such a clean fun loving show. I want it back. My new family is growing up. It would be sad for them not to be able to see such good shows. I would only hope that another Lucy Nanny type show will come back. With all the reality going on good TV is hard to find anymore. This show brings back some good times. It brings back some really good laughs. I watch it anytime it is on. And by the way I loved her voice.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]