IMDb > "The Mommies" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Mommies" More at IMDbPro »

Mommy Dear... Rest

Author: Bolesroor from New York, NY USA
18 September 2008

I'll start with the history since no one else did. Marilyn Kentz & Caryl Kristensen were two comediennes who performed together. Part of their routine on-stage was to do a piece called "The Mommies" in which they would portray two women folding clothes at a table and complaining about their husbands and children. Not my cup of tea but it was cute... clearly they were better writing jokes in a dialogue than in stand-up monologue style, and as two actual mothers they certainly drew from real-life experience. Enter Hollywood.

Let's turn "The Mommies" into a network sitcom! On stage it was funny to hear about the nuisance of invisible children and complaints about off-screen husbands... on a TV show you have to actually cast real people to play these roles. Suddenly Dad 'n the brats are human, sympathetic characters and the jokes about them become mean-spirited and the women become b- how do I say this nicely? Mean women.

They still did a segment every episode in which they folded laundry and traded one-liners... but now they were just miserable whining pigs. The jokes had become bitter complaints and their once-weary persona was now downright hostile. Clearly something was lost in development. The show started out nasty and never got on track. I remember comedians and friends at the time making jokes about "The Mommies," always with the implication that it was the type of show- and they the type of women- that would send men screaming in the opposite direction.

They weren't wrong.

GRADE: D-

Usual pap

Author: dlewis-10 from Sydney Australia
13 September 2001

A forgettable series, based upon the lives of two 'moms'. They have obnoxious kids, caring yet insensitive husbands, and are supposed to be funny. Little is memorable in this show, and I was surprised to see it last beyond 1 season. Some sit-coms have still-born ideas - this was one of them.

Was it as bad as we remember?

Author: jewoods (jewoods@hotmail.com) from Hollywood, CA
27 February 2005

I just watched 2 old episodes from some old forgotten videotape and guess what? It's worse! And it really isn't the acting, it's the writing. This could have been something worth watching with just a little more work. With 2 large family ensembles to work with and old and young kids they had a lot to work with. There were high points as the "Mommies" did have a fairly funny stand up routine for a hot second. One high point was the fake "Mommie Moment" at the end when both gals speak into the camera for some heart to heart family advice to the viewers. Here is a sample directly from the episode I'm wrapping up now.

Marilyn: Part of being a mommy is being able to comfort and nurture your child when they're not well. A bag of frozen peas for swelling. Caryl: Seven Up for nausea, a hug for just about anything not physically fixable. Marilyn: But kids, when that stomachache you had a half hour ago is now a cramp in your leg, I run out of nurturing patience. No more! Caryl: I have no remedy when you limp with a cold. Marilyn: Your back hurts but you're holding your head. The side of your nose hurts when you flare it? Then don't flare it! Caryl: So if you don't have a fever, aren't bleeding or vomiting and you just need to complain, TELL A FRIEND! Marilyn: Or better yet... Together: TELL YOUR FATHER!

Oh well, not exactly a big loss. I have seen the "Mommies" on some commercials since the show went away though. Wonder what they're up to now? Hmmmmm?

Good show

Author: jmorri02
8 February 2004

I liked this show when it came out. I used to watch this with my family all the time. The 2nd season, sadly, failed to revive the show, but it was like a completely different show in Season 2, only the same characters. Season 1 was definitely better!

So bad, it's painful

Author: einhard-1 from Parma, Ohio
29 September 2004

Over the years, there have been numerous bad television shows churned out by Hollywood, but few have ever reached the depths of this little piece of work. This is a show that makes "Mr. T and Tina," "Supertrain" and "Manimal" look good. Why any network would give a show to these two women was unfathomable. Of course, it wasn't their fault entirely. Lucille Ball and Mary Tyler Moore couldn't have make this show work, the writing was so bad. The producers attempted to improve the show by bringing in Julia Duffy and Jere Burns, but their talents weren't enough to bring this show up to par.

Unfortunately, the show isn't even bad enough to be enjoyable watching, a la "Plan Nine From Outer Space." Thankfully, you won't be seeing this show in syndication.

GREAT SHOW. But once again NBC did not give it a chance.

Author: kittymom28 from United States
10 April 2005

I loved this show. Until Jerry Burns Joined the show. Once again. He was a death of a great show. It was great with just Carol Marilyn and Barb. And see the way they tried to be the perfect Mom like barb. But not to mention. NBC Never gives any show a chance. I hope this comes out on DVD soon. If they wanted a to go in a different direction. Why Not have a single Mom or an African American Mom. But did they have to Put Jerry Burn on the show. Then for one episode they bring on Joanna Kerns. Though they did have some funny moments in the second season Like when the mommies. Like the time the girls got picked over barb to be the spokes woman for a new line of products. Or when Carol Accidentally stopped a robber from robbing the supermarket. And She becomes her youngest son's hero for a school report. But unfortunately. These shows were few and far between in the second season.