IMDb > "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mighty Morphin Power Rangers"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It's a great kids show that should be acknowledged for what it is.

Author: RayCRP from Chicago
8 May 2005

I don't see why everyone here is bashing the original Power Rangers show. Nearly every one of them is saying how now that they've gone back and watched it as an adult, it's got horrible acting, horrible dialog, and cheesy and repetitive themes. Yeah, well, guess what: it wasn't made for you to go back and watch as an adult. It was meant for kids. Kid shows didn't have to have the best acting or best writing. If they had the money to hire people to win awards for superb acting and writing, they wouldn't have wasted their time on a kid show.

Power Rangers was meant for kids to watch, to be able to understand and follow along, and to learn from the cheesy and repetitive themes that good wins over evil, teamwork is a great thing, and that you have to believe in yourself. Did it succeed it conveying these messages? I think so. It did so in a way that kids liked, a way that was "cool" during its time. It had characters that kids could see and look up to. Jason was the brave team leader, Zach was the "smooth" dancer, Billy was the smart and resourceful one, Trini was determined and helpful, Kimberly was humble and graceful, and Tommy was noble and selfless. The show stressed that people had to work together as a team to fight evil, and when situations grew worse, they didn't give up, and they found a way to come through. And on the few occasions when it could be said that they lost, that lost honorably and were happy with what good came out of it.

I really don't see fair judgment in many reviews here that bash it after re-watching it as an adult. An adult won't get the same thing out of it as a child will. I was 7 when the show debuted, and I loved it. Now, sure, I can see several flaws in the overall performance delivery, but it still conveys the message in ways that kids understand. It's the same with Power Rangers, Pokemon, and whatever the next thing will be. They have great, wonderful messages for kids, and that's all they're meant to be.

Granted, Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger's story with 5 normal teenagers from an average city with boosted fighting power is a bit more believable than the newer Power Ranger shows where they fly through space on hoverboards and land on other planets, but hey, at least the new shows are trying to keep things fresh.

An old classic almost lost.

Author: Rob Can from United Kingdom
14 October 2005

Being a child of... I forget, This show blew me away with what seemed great action and fx. Also who could forget dear old Bulk and Skull. Being older it still is fun to look back on and see how different it looks. It may look silly and cheap in the eyes of adults but to a child it just felt great. There wasn't much of a long plot going on which made it good as if you missed an episode it didn't matter, but saying that the zord changes were good and it made the show more interesting. When will people learn that a young child doesn't care much for plots, that has to wait for when they are a little older. Saddly when they made the zeo series, it would just never be the same. The new series tried too hard. Even as a child I never liked them. Maybe it was the new suits, I mean who designed them? And power rangers in space? It may have appealed to others but I think they should have stayed where they were. Simple enemies that would use the same techniques over and over. Make a monster that starts human size and then grow. And you knew that when they grow the show would almost be over. Oh and I must be dumb to forget the theme tune. I've check and they never made a slightly good theme tune again until this so call wild force series. This show was indeed a classic and I demand they stop making new ones and show the original again for the new generation.

To all those who are too 'old' for Power Rangers

Author: archonite365 from Australia
4 July 2006

How can u NOT like power rangers? For a 6 year old it was the coolest thing in the world. Good dialogue? Plot lines? Cheesy one liners? Sure they're there, but honestly, do u think a child would REALLY take those into account when thinking whether a show is good or bad? The problem with all u people is that u look at it with an adults point of view. Ask ANY child's opinion, and they would claim that MMPR is one of the best things since sliced bread.

I'm 19 now, and i still love watching it cos of the fond memories it brings back. I'm sure many of those around my age bracket still do too. Hell, its hilariously poor, but there is always that little part of me that turns back into a 6 year old kid, and cheers the Power Rangers on.

Everyon Liked It

Author: Cobra Commander from United States
12 April 2006

Everyone enjoyed the Power Rangers first seasons. The incredibly cheesy lines, ridiculous plots, and giant monster fight scenes made it all the more watchable. It was definitely watched by more people than you think when it first came out. Everyone tries to hide the fact that they watched it every time a new episode came on. The show was over the top and it rocked. The same thing was going to happen every episode, but it didn't matter. You knew there would be some small fights, Rita would get mad, make her monster huge.. which eventually lead to Morphin Time! Each villain had its own unique ability and look. They all made you laugh. The show lost its luster as it went on, but I guarantee you have to say the first seasons of Power Rangers were a total classic!

It's amazing what we all used to watch.

Author: Joel (Tenchi64589@aol.com) from Flower Mound, Texas
14 September 2005

I was a Power Rangers fan when it first came out, (can you believe it?) but looking back, I noticed that it's a little messed up.

Although a lot of it didn't really look all that great, remember this: THE SHOW WAS MEANT FOR A YOUNG AUDIENCE!!! It was supposed to be dorky!

Like many fans my age, we were all in awe as we watched Tommy lose his powers, but then briefly regain them only to have the green ranger powers taken away again.

I'm also guessing that those that watched this for the first time didn't know the identity of the white ranger until part two of "The White Light."

Of course, during the 3rd season, it was kind of hard to follow... so I stopped watching until Zeo.

Recently, it's grown into a guilty pleasure for me, so I only watch it in secret.

As far as the rating goes, it's at least a 7.

Mighty Morphin Power rangers are awesome! Watch this one and this one only!

Author: Chandlergellar from United Kingdom
6 June 2005

when i was a little kid, the only that i loved was this, its the best show ever, yeah sure it may look a bit stupid now, but this is what made me believe in myself and that friends stick together! my favourite Character was Billy the blue ranger because he was cool the way he knew everything about well everything. i had such a huge crush on Kimberley the pink Ranger because come on Amy Jo Johnston is amazingly beautiful and i still have a crush on her now. This show also taught kids that violence isn't a good thing and the power rangers always stopped it, even tho it was obvious who they were because they all worked around in the same colour as their costumes, Bulk and Skull, they are legends hands down! they were always trying to a) be the rangers and win over there fans b) trying to find out who they were. i went a bit off it when they replaced Kimberly with a bloned girl, she didn't have the same attitude as Amy Jo and thats why i switched off, but this show will always be the best kids show ever, i guarantee it, forget the other power ranger series, this is the best one, also it was a shame to hear about the girl who played Trini, she was cool too. GO GO Powers Rangers, the mighty morphin Power rangers!!

True Childhood Heroes and Role Models

Author: manchestertiger from Manchester
7 December 2006

What can I say, I absolutely LOVED this show. Six superheroes that you felt you could really relate to and look up to. I so wanted to be one for so long after watching it and had a huge crush on the GORGEOUS Pink Ranger. The show just rocked (you could say I was mad fer it) and I could not start my Saturdays (or school days for that matter) without it. I recently found old episodes on You Tube and was transfixed. Who cares about plot etc It was just pure action, fantasy and innocent fun and was a big part of my teenage years. Yes, maybe at 15 years old I should have known better but I was still a big kid. Thanks to them I was able to stay away from drugs and cigarettes. Clichéd I know but so very true. OK, so I might not have realised my ambition to be a Power Ranger (except in my wild imagination) but I do have a great career, a healthy lifestyle and am loving life in Manchester. If it is ever released out on DVD I will shamelessly go out and buy the box set in Virgin Megastore even if it means revealing to everyone in the shop my secret obsession. Have to admit though what did leave me more "traumatised" was realising that as a lifelong Celtic fan I found myself watching a show that had Rangers in it and finding that my obsession with these Rangers led me to switching my allegiance to the blue half of Glasgow he he :D Some people said the colours were racist because the cool Black Ranger was black and the cute Yellow Ranger was Oriental. What a load of rubbish. If that really was so, then Tommy the Green Ranger might have had an Irish accent and there would have been an Orange Ranger from Belfast. Oh, and the Blue Ranger would have hailed from Glasgow where he would have supported...well Rangers of course which leaves me wondering how popular the Green Ranger was with kids in Strathclyde when everyone knows that the last colour a Ranger could ever be is Green and White. Tommy, it's a known fact amongst Tims and Bhoys that you can't be a Ranger and wear the Green and White of Celtic but I guess because you were such a hero to me that's why I know you can get away with it :)

A Good Show

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
26 June 2005

I used to watch "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" when I was younger back when it began in 1993 when I was 6 years old. I used to watch it with my neighbors and after the show we used to act it out. I was always the pink ranger and my sister was always the yellow ranger.

My favorite characters were the pink ranger and the red ranger. My favorite episodes, as I recall, were: "Happy Birthday, Zack", "No Clowning Around", and "A Bad Reflection on You". I also had many of the "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" videos. I used to watch the videos all the time.

I only liked the "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers", none of the "Power Rangers" spin offs. I found the spin offs to be stupid. I give the "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" 9/10 stars and all of the following spin offs 2/10 stars.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

Author: VidSteh from Slovenia
3 June 2008

This show is fun as hell. I grew up with Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, they were my heroes, but today I'm just laughing myself for having that kind of heroes. This show is the same over and over again; we have five kids (two girls and three guys)who are fighting against evil powers of some crazy witch. The show is really made by the same joke; this witch send a ugly monster/actors with worst costumes I've ever seen, who is terrorizing the community than Power Rangers arrive, the monster sends a group of mutants in gray underwear and they're fighting so bad it makes me laugh every time. They're not fighting, they're just touching one another very quick. And then the Rangers are fighting against the monster. The monster fights with Rangers for a while and almost destroyed them, but then he enlarge itself and Rangers call for their vehicles, which are put together into a giant robot. They fight for a while and in the end the monster is defeated. Like I said... i enjoy watching this show, it's really stupid and the same all the time, but very funny.

'Its Morphing Time!' Whatever...

Author: waiching liu from London, England, UK
19 January 2008

Very rarely do I give less rave reviews on a show or film I dislike on IMDb, but Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is just so painstakingly dreadful, it's terrible.

I wouldn't have minded if this had been an animated series- would've been better that way I guess, but as a live-action show, it typifies the terms 'cheesy' and 'campy'. Of which Power Rangers is. Five multi- coloured, spandex wearing teens battle evil by using their martial arts skills. The costumes are horrid- they look like something that is reminiscent of what track and field athletes and female gymnasts would wear. The acting is woeful, and the fight choreography is so shockingly bad and so lame to watch, it makes Jean- Claude Van Damme, look as equally as good as Bruce Lee, which is an understatement in itself. In fact, they look as if they are jumping and dancing about; like it was some version of the 'Nutcracker', or they were doing ballet, rather than fighting. Besides, there are some cartoons that heavily feature martial arts and yet it is done in a fun-yet not so cheesy way that makes it look silly.

Kids show or not, this is just so lame and on the verge of absurdity. And even though this version is set in America, you could be forgiven into thinking that as you watch some of the fight sequences that they were not filmed in the US, but rather in Japan; thus the somewhat 'fake' fighting and footage was borrowed from the Japanese version-only to be juxtaposed onto the US version.

If you like this type of thing, then stick with Sentai- the Japanese equivalent.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]