"Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Love it!

Author: Maryann from Lancaster, PA
17 May 2006

I got back into watching this show when the DVD's were released. I had taped the show off cable years earlier so I've been able to reacquaint myself with the whole series.

I would hate for others not to want to watch the series because they only think that the first two seasons are the only good ones. True it does start to lose some spark in the middle of the 4th season but I think that was more the network's problem than anything else.

Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher had incredible chemistry throughout the whole series. Dean's portrayal of Clark/Superman is the best as far as I'm concerned. Even though Superman was a superhero he never felt he was above anyone. Clark even came across as a hero in his own right. He was incredibly sweet and romantic, not to mention yummy on a stick.

With a terrific supporting cast, this show is the perfect "chick" series.

People have commented on the fact that they shouldn't have gotten Lois and Clark together when they did, but most of the fans were angry at the network for keeping them apart as long as they did. This was pretty evident when the ratings started dropping during the clone/amnesia/New Krypton arc (which I really liked--there I admit it).

This is a wonderful fantasy-romance-action series that still holds its own 10 years after it left the network.

A fun take on the Superman franchise

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
26 May 2006

'Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman' was one of the better sci-fi shows to come out of the Nineties and it was probably one of the first attempts to give the comic franchises a modern twist.

During the four seasons it aired for, the familiar Superman characters were brought out and given a Nineties touch. While Lois is still very much her tenacious self, Clark Kent was now a confident, well-adjusted guy and was a far cry from the bumbling Clark of the films and comics. His mother Martha is the one who sews his uniform for him while she and husband Jonathan are always on hand to give their adoptive son advice on his love life. Lex Luthor is far more charismatic and he and Lois even have a fling. However, Perry and Jimmy are in usual form and Superman is ever the hero he's always been, fighting for truth, justice and the American way.

Dean Cain made an excellent Clark, portraying the loyalty and strength of the character as well as his uncertainties over Lois and his path as Superman. While Christopher Reeve gave us a very heroic Superman, Cain gave us a hero who was heavily influenced by his Earth upbringing making him very human at times and it does work for this series. Teri Hatcher depicted a beautiful, career-driven Lois who vacillated between arrogance and being insecure, and this softer edge made her a likable character. And John Shea's Lex Luthor was wonderfully evil and intriguing as the almost James Bond-like villain who had fine tastes and minions to do his dirty work.

The story lines were almost always fun and engaging, often capturing a nice balance between drama, action, humour and romance. And unlike the 'Smallville' series, where episodes are very formulaic ((ie, mutant-of-the-week attacks and Clark saves the day so he can get back to his brooding over Lana), this series avoids that plot hole by covering different villains and plots. The only problem, that eventually saw the show's demise, was when Lois and Clark married as this lead to it becoming too soapy and cavity-inducing although it did serve as a lesson to future TV show producers that you should always pair your leads together in the finale, not half-way through the series.

'Lois and Clark' was never meant to be a deep, dark insight into Superman's history but instead just an entertaining show aimed at both young and old, and I think it succeeds. Newcomers to the show should check out the first three seasons to see it at its best.

It's still magical

Author: Maria Eduarda Eloy from Portugal
19 December 2005

This is my all time favorite TV show. I first started watching it as a child and even though I didn't get all the plots at the time, I was mesmerized by the superhero in the blue and red suit. As years passed and I watched the show again on reruns, the intensity of the romance between Lois and Clark became what captivated me the most. I believe that this is definitively the best caricature of what would an amorous relationship between Lois and Clark (and not Lois and Superman) be. The idea of Clark being a normal guy (with superpowers, yes, but still trying to pursue a seemingly normal life)and Superman being his cover is a good change. Another good thing is that the show's merit doesn't rely only on the main characters. The supporting characters of Perry White, Jimmy Olsen, Martha and Jonathan Kent, Lex Luthor and Cat Grant(this one unfortunately only during the first season) added many of the best moments in the show. Unfortunately, and I guess everyone realizes it, during the third season the show started having some really weird plots with no such thing as coherence. It was still fun but there was something lost along the way. Nevertheless, it's still the best TV show I've ever seen. The only that truly caught my eye from the very first moment. To this day I'm still a fan and it's still magical for me to sit in front of the TV screen and watch another episode of this great show. So, thank you very much Deborah Joy Levine and all the others that wrote all the episodes we watched, to Dean Cain, Teri Hatcher, Lane Smith, John Shea, Michael Landes and Justin Whalin, K Callan, Eddie Jones, Tracy Scoggins and all the other actors who performed such great roles, and at last but not least thanks to rest of the crew for making this Superman fly.

Love it!

Author: creole_femme from Fort Washington, Maryland
22 January 2006

This version of Superman has always excited me because Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain have such awesome chemistry with each other. Dean Cain makes expert display of Clark Kent's restraints and clumsiness and Superman's authority as a Metropolis savior and his playfulness as the keeper of Lois's affections. We can see his turmoil between being who he has to be and being who he wants to be...with lots of comedy in between. Hatcher, in my opinion, is by far the best Lois to date. She has strength and class and isn't afraid to take chances with her character. She'll sing, she'll dance, she'll turn on the baby-voice...and she gives Lois a persona so stubborn, only Superman can get her to see the truths about herself and the people around her. Add in Lane Smith, who's so ridiculously funny in his Elvis-ized Santa suit and you have pure comedy. Lane Smith is the wise man of the group, fostering Justin Whalen through his mishaps and growth as a photographer and a young man. Justin Whalen's Jimmy Olsen has a certain naiveté' necessary to balance the complex personalities and tensions of Lois and Clark. Michael Landes, who played Season One's Jimmy Olsen, is equally as entertaining...making it difficult to choose who is more deserving of that role. If one invests in such a purchase, it would be hard to be disappointed.

Wonderful promise, but the show couldn't live up to it

Author: screenhound22
15 February 2004

As a loyal fan of L&C, I have to say that I loved most things about the show. Teri Hatcher turned in my favorite portrayal of Lois Lane to date. Lane Smith's attitude as Perry White was usually enjoyable. Most importantly, Eddie Jones and K Callan set a new standard as Jonathan and Martha Kent. Originally billed as recurring characters, their efforts on screen were just too wonderful to be denied and became a staple of the show through its many ups and downs.

Dean Cain was solid as Clark--and the idea that Clark was a person with problems and goals and insecurities of his own and that Superman was the convenient guise he used to help people always appealed to me. I know that most of the die-hard fans are of the opposite opinion, but humanizing Kal-el and focusing on his relationships with his family, his friends, and the love of his life was one of Deb Joy Levine's truly masterful ideas. The ensemble cast of the first season with Michael Landes as Jimmy Olsen and Tracy Scoggins as Cat Grant worked superbly together onscreen. John Shea turned in a respectable performance with a good mix of glitz and sinister ambition for a '90s Lex Luthor. I loved almost all the episodes that first season and one of my abiding regrets is that the show's writing staff and cast changed for the second season. Nonetheless, the first two seasons were both solid (even if the alternating introduction of competing love interests became grating after awhile).

Much as I hate to admit it, the show didn't end too early. The wheels came off in the third season with the much-despised clone-amnesia arc and the disturbing introduction of the concept of New Krypton. By the close of the fourth season, a consistent villain was nowhere to be found and the idea of Lois's possible pregnancy, of a Superfamily, wasn't strong enough to help the show recover from a disastrous newlywed phase.

Excellent Show!

Author: Eightiesjunkie from Texas
3 November 2008

I've always been a huge Superman fan but never cared for the Superman films because: Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent is always a big goof, Margot Kidder sucked as Lois Lane, and Gene Hackman couldn't do Lex Luthor justice.

Lois and Clark finally does Superman right.

Dean Cain plays a terrific Superman and a very lovable Clark Kent. (Who, unlike in the films is just an ordinary guy with hopes and fears like everyone else.)

Teri Hatcher in my opinion, is the essential Lois Lane. no other actress that has played the role can compete with hers.

Same goes for John Shea's Lex Luthor, Lane Smith's Perry White, and both Jimmy Olsens. In conclusion if you you are a Superman fan watch this show. It's one of the best.

Great and Charming Entertainment For Children and Adults

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10 February 2005

Yesterday I watched a VHS released by "Warner do Brasil" with the pilot episode of this TV series. The story begins with Clark Kent (Dean Cain) arriving in Metropolis and being hired by Perry White (Lane Smith) to work in the Daily Planet with Lois Lane (Teri Hatcher) and Jimmy Olsen (Michael Landes). Meanwhile, Clark misses his parent Jonathan Kent (Eddie Jones) and Martha Kent (K Callan) and is harassed by his colleague Catherine "Cat" Grant (Tracy Scoggins). However, he has a crush on Lois Lane. Meanwhile, a spacecraft explodes and a scientist, considered mad by his community, advises that there was a sabotage on the launching. Along the story, it is disclosed but never proved that Lex Luthor (John Shea) was the responsible for the explosion. Clark becomes the Superman, and Lex Luthor his greatest enemy. I was not a regular viewer of this series on TV, but I liked most of the episodes that I have seen. This VHS is excellent, introducing the characters of "Superman" in a delightful story. The beauty of Teri Hatcher would be enough to support this movie, but the chemistry between the handsome Dean Cain and the gorgeous Teri Hatcher is also a wonderful attraction. "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" is a great and charming entertainment for children and adults. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Lois & Clark: As Novas Aventuras do Super-Homem" ("Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman")

Best Television show ever

Author: met_girl2000 from United States
2 July 2005

Lois and Clark the New Adventures of Superman is the best television show that I have ever seen. Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain really lit up the small screen, they had amazing on screen chemistry and pulled off the roles of Lois Lane and Clark Kent/Superman to perfection.

Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain had the gossip wheels turning for years over an *alledged* affair. Even though Teri was at the time married to Jon Tenney, who guest starred on Lois and Clark for a few episode as a kinda bad guy however is character was hard to define.

Overall I think that this T.V show was great and it is about time that it was released on DVD. Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain should definitely be paired up again on a movie or T.V project1

SUPERMAN + a series like MOONLIGHTING=LOIS & CLARK

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
1 September 2005

An adaptation of a feature character like SUPERMAN will have a great deal of variance, not only in the era that it is in, but also the audience (demographics) that is desired to r-r-r-r-reach. This was a point always taken into consideration by National Comics Publications( AKA DC Comics), the Copywright owner of Superman and his friends. Therefore in the 1950's, National/DC published comic magazines such as SUPERBOY and JIMMY OLSEN to appeal to the younger kids,especially boys.And alas, they did the girl's Superman magazine, LOIS LANE.All featured Superman, but with a little different spin or, point of view, if you will.

With the appearance of LOIS & CLARK, they were sort of giving us a girl's version of the Super saga,much like the comic book LOIS LANE.But this telling was a program designed to get the female audience, without alienating the guys.

Much like the BATMAN TV of 1966-68, there was a large cross section of the viewing public who grew up with and were quite familiar with the storyline. The answer to the problem was to add plenty of humor, not of the "Camp" type of the Batman show, but some sort of resembling what has come to be known as "Screwball" comedy. The adventure story line is still there, but the humor allows a wider group of people to view the episodes.

The result was a Superman series with wide appeal that fit very well in with its time slot in history as well as ABC's programing schedule.

A Greek point of view

Author: abotsakou (abotsakou@in.gr) from Athens, Greece
7 October 2002

First of all, I 'm Greek, so excuse me if my English are not perfect. I read all of the comments here. The day I 'm sending this L&C's third re-run here in Greece is still continuing, but as I could see it's close to its end. Well, I have to say I 'm a BIG FAN, and I 'm glad to know there are also many fans of one of my favorite - ever TV series. I have to admit, though, L&C was not perfect. My opinion is that it was REALLY GOOD. It had a really good casting - Dean Cain (who is very handsome) is not that short, for God's sake! - and all of the actors fitted great into their roles. The script was also good, and I don't agree with the ones who said that after Lois and Clark's wedding it went bad. And of course I enjoyed the large amount of humor in it. About these flying - scenes... Well, the truth is they could be more and better. I have to say, I never was a Superman's fan, and I 've watched only one of Christopher Reeves movies. (And I liked it.) What is completely wrong for you to say (I don't mean to be rude), is that Dean Cain didn't try to make Clark Kent and Superman look different. OF COURSE HE DIDN'T!! Clark and Superman ARE the same person!! They can't be THAT different!! They have the same character, the same feelings, the same looks... because they ARE the same. They ARE one and only person. So, this is the right way for this role to be played. I agree also with this focusing in Clark's life. After all, HE is the main character. And the problems he has is what we want to see (and his struggles with the bad guys, of course), because, even if we know he doesn't really exist, we like to feel him close to our lives and feelings. If a Superman is what we need, and we can't have him in our true lives, let's just watch him! Last thing I have to say is that I would really like the idea to see Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher back as Clark Kent and Lois Lane again, to a new series or a movie. I hope I will. If I won't, though... I hope I see another Superman, because he's a really interesting idea. Congratulations to his "inventors".

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]