IMDb > "Living Single" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Living Single"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Living Single" More at IMDbPro »

It Was The Bomb!

Author: dgordon-1 from Toronto, Canada
21 February 2002

I really liked this show when it aired from 1993 to 1998. The characters were interesting and funny. For a TV show, the characters had great depth. Like some of the other reviewers, I thought this show was a lot better than "Friends". I remember an episode that had Brian McKnight in it, and another one where Regine is caught "knocking boots" with her boyfriend on the roof-classic!. I really miss this show, and have not really been interested in any of Fox's offerings since this show left the air in mid-season '98.

Living Single #1

Author: lharrigan1 from United States
9 August 2006

I love the show. I record all episodes on Direct TV every day shown on Oxygen. Thank you Oxygen! My 8 yr daughter has become a very big fan of Queen Latifah through watching Living Single reruns. I love the witty banter shared by the girls and their male friends upstairs. I love that all the girls were successful in their own careers and always supported each other. I want to know why Regine left the show so abruptly? That final episode of her marriage proposal left so many unanswered questions. The writers for the show were so very creating for the first 4 years but they let the fans down with the final season ending with some many hanging story lines. I vote for a Living Single reunion.

An absolute FOX classic!

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
23 January 2006

"LIVING SINGLE," in my opinion, is an absolute FOX classic! I don't think I've seen every episode, but I still enjoyed it. It's hard to say which episode was my favorite. However, I think it was always funny when a mishap occurred. I always laughed at that. It would have been nice if all the main characters stayed with the show throughout its entire run. It seems that no one stays with a show throughout its entire run. Everyone always gave a good performance, the production design was spectacular, the costumes were well-designed, and the writing was always very strong. In conclusion, even though it can be seen on Oxygen now, I heartily recommend you catch it just in case it goes off the air for good.

One of the best!

Author: missjustine44 from United States
11 October 2005

Living Single is one of my favorite TV shows and I generally don't like sitcoms. I used to watch Martin first, then this show on Sunday nights in the 90s. I was thrilled to discover it on reruns on Oxygen and still love it. All the characters are great, although Sinclair was my least favorite. Regine, Latifah, and esp. Kyle were fabulous. Queen L. is very funny and relaxed in her role and seems like someone you know. Kim Fields' timing and delivery is consistently dead on. Maxine was good, but as the series evolved her character became cartoonish. I wish the actor who played Kyle Barker would show up again somewhere--he was wonderful. I miss Kim Fields too!! Highly recommend this show!!!

I love this show !

Author: bonoandme2 from California
23 April 2000

This show is kinda like THE GOLDEN GIRLS but with a younger cast. It's funny and highly entertaining; and unlike t.v. shows like FRIENDS, this show is actually funny and intelligent with a brilliant cast! I wish it wasn't cancelled prematurely. It can still be seen in reruns on FOX.

Living Single....the apartments, lifestyles and clothes are not realistic? Yeah, they are.

Author: papiz_girl from United States
19 June 2009

I love, love, love Living Single!! It is TRULY one of my favorite shows of ALL TIME. It had some truly great story lines and was funny as all get out....and it "looked" like me.;-) Now, what I am not understanding are the comments suggesting they could not afford their lifestyles. THAT IS SO NOT TRUE.

Think about it: Kyle and Overton - Kyle is a SUCCESSFUL stockbroker and Overton is THE Handyman for the building. So, would it not be correct to assume that their apartment had a HUGE discount for Overton's services? And, can we not also deduce correctly that since Kyle IS a successful stockbroker ON THE RISE with NO KIDS and NO WIFE, it is completely feasible he can afford the apartment, his designer clothes, and art collection not only WITH Overton, but by himself as well?

The girls: Khadijah OWNS her magazine. Though struggling, she is STILL a business owner. Regine was a buyer for a high-end boutique, THEN a wardrobe assistant for a MAJOR soap opera and eventually, an Event Planner for WEALTHY clients. Now granted Synclaire is a receptionist, but she is ALSO an actress. She has to make decent money on the side from that. Last, but not least, Max lives across the street in the same neighborhood. She is a successful lawyer, has been a partner in a top law firm AND an Alderwoman and is now the TOP attorney in the NYC Public Defender's office. I'm thinking EACH one of these "tenants" HAD to make a MINIMUM of $50k per year in NYC, with Kyle, Max, and possibly Khadijah on the higher end of $75-85k or better, wouldn't you agree?

To state my case :-)......this is the 90's in BROOKLYN. Even if these apartments were $3600 per month, which IS about practicable for BROOKLYN brownstones at that time, why can't we not assume that each one of these ladies could afford $1200 each per month? Or, in Kyle's and Overton's case, $1800 a piece BEFORE Overton's "live-in" Handyman's discount is applied, making the apartment surely close to, if not free? Or, in Max's case, approx $2000 per month for rent on a PARTNER's salary, a partner who comes from a FAMILY of LAWYERS (i.e. wealthy parents)? I just do not see a huge disparity, if any, between their lifestyles and their incomes.

Carrie Bradshaw's rent controlled apartment on Sex and the City in MANHATTAN on the UPPER EASTSIDE in 2002 was approx $750 per month. (In Season 4, she was looking for apartments around that price range after her building went co-op and she wasn't sure if she would be able to purchase it).

So, my point is (and to sum this sermon up lol).....if Carrie did this on her own with multiple pairs of $450+ shoes in Manhattan on a writer's salary (no matter if we are in TV Land *wink*).....tell me why my beautiful, each successful in their own right, black "family" cannot REALISTICALLY afford their digs in Brooklyn with three apartments and SIX incomes between them.......TOGETHER.....IN THE NINETIES....WITH NO RESPONSIBILITIES.....AND UNDER THE BILL CLINTON ADMINISTRATION??? I'm just saying.......:-)

Favorite Show of All-Time

Author: J Cummings from United States
21 January 2008

I never knew how much I missed this show until the first season came out on DVD, and then I couldn't wait to watch every episode all over again.When the show first came on back in the 1990s I was still a teenager but wanted my life to turn out like theirs. Living in a big city with my college friends and still being able to hang out with people from my childhood. Now that I am in my mid 20s some of those things have come true; I have a friend who acts like Max, I still hangout with several of my childhood friends, and I got a Kyle and Overton, we just don't all live in the same area. Point to all of this is they just don't make shows like this anymore. I watch crime drama now, but I still like a good laugh now and then, even though the show was fictional a lot of the issues they discuss were real topics. Me and girlfriends watched the episode when Max started dating Regine's ex and it caused friction between them, we sat and laugh at the episode but we discussed how that would hurt our friendship. I really miss this show and will always be a Living Single fan.... hurry up and bring out the rest of seasons on DVD!!!!!!

Put the episodes on DVD

Author: LNPoind from United States
7 October 2007

How long do we have to wait for Season 2 to come out on DVD!! This show was a forerunner of Friends, Sex in the City, and Girlfriends. I am hoping for more Living Single. And not the chopped up episodes in syndication. We've waited long enough I believe for this show to get it's proper treatment. I'll say it again. And again. How long do we have to wait for Season 2 to come out on DVD!! This show was a forerunner of Friends, Sex in the City, and Girlfriends. I am hoping for more Living Single. And not the chopped up episodes in syndication. We've waited long enough I believe for this show to get it's proper treatment.

Question to fans of this Show

Author: sdj197719771977 from United States
12 August 2006

While Synclaire, could be annoying---I think her quirkiness brought something special to the show and that the show would not have been the same with out her. I loved the show and I am constantly searching for a download of the song that Kyle (T.C. Carson) and Khadijah (Queen Latifah) sang at Overton (John Hinton) & Synclaire's (Kim Cole) wedding. It is titled, "With This Ring" Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this song. It is extremely important. If you know where I can get it from please e-mail me at SDJ197719771977@aol.com. Or if you can tell me where I can get the lyrics that works as well. Also does anyone know what Maxine (Erica Alexander) is doing now? I haven't seen her in any other projects.

wanting to buy living single series

Author: djoh698519 from United States
5 February 2011

I love this show and i bought the first season. Will there be other seasons for sale. I want to buy the entire season. So if anyone know anything about when and if it will be publish or ready for sale let a chick know. I miss this show so much. What can we do to purchase the series. Let me know if we need to write someone for them to put this show on the market because it is worth every bit of money that its worth. Other shows are on sale and I feel like this should also be on sale. Thanks so much a very true fan of living single... My favorite show is when kyle and max got together and went to the hotel to get busy and Kim Fields was being nosy and trying to find them too funny.