IMDb > "Grace Under Fire" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grace Under Fire"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Grace Under Fire" More at IMDbPro »

Grace is my co-pilot.

Author: Jenny Nemesis from 9th Circle of Hades
23 September 2001

I don't understand these complaints about "cliched strong women" and "yet another brassy know-it-all female"-- all TV ever gives us is bimbos as role-models, and you complain about a rare jewel like Grace? Just goes to show how fragile men and their little egos can be. This show was the best of the best. I'm sad the Big Recession had to end and all these Strong Women shows are over, and the Man Shows are back... because we NEED more brassy know-it-all women like Grace. We need an alternative to show our daughters on TV, to keep them from developing bulimia and learning phrases like "Math is hard! Let's go shopping!"

If you had a hideous screeching racist mother-in-law, delinquent kids, a retarded deadbeat ex-husband, and a bunch of goober co-workers at the oil refinery, what would stop YOU from getting loaded? The fact that Grace stays sober under all this is as perfect a role model as you could wish for. The character doesn't (because she's a TV character), and I frankly don't care what the actress does. Grace is brilliant, incisive, witty, vulnerable, and after all, human.

Where else can you hear lines like: "When we're married, we treat our men like vegetables; when we're divorced, we treat our vegetables like men"? All hail.

My Favorite Sitcom

Author: connel from South Carolina
13 October 2000

"Grace Under Fire" was a great sitcom. It had unique characters and a wonderful story line. Brett Butler was able to use some of her own life experiences to make the show realistic, yet funny. She did an excellent job of portraying Grace Kelly. Brett is the only comedian that I think fitted the role of Grace perfectly. The other cast members of the show were just as perfect for their roles. This show had a lot of talented people on it, and I wish the show was still on. This is, and always will be my favorite sitcom.

Good stuff.

Author: NiaRhiannon
10 January 2002

I'd just like to combat the last viewer comment I saw up here, which was slightly sexist and rather negative about the show. 'Grace Under Fire' did slip in its later seasons, but originally it was a clever, well-written show with a tight, vibrant cast and some great lines. I'm glad to see it airing in syndication now.

A comedy with a somewhat realisitic outlook on life

Author: JET ACE
20 March 2001

A sitcom, that proved comedy could be down to earth. I enjoyed this show. It wasn't that bad. The strength it had was the characters. By season 5 the decision to get rid of one character altered the shows chemistry. However, BRETT BUTLER proved she had talent and the writing at times was not fact, the stories not bad either. GRACE UNDER FIRE, was about a working mom trying to keep her head above water. I enjoyed the performance of WILLIAM FICHTNER as SPARKS and "JIMMY" GEOFF PETERSEN....who could probably play a cop in a action move. The funny thing is by season 5 there seems to be a effort to move the character of grace and jimmy back together yet , this was hampered when the show was cancelled. The show was entertaining and can be seen in syndication. However, when it was released was very popular. The show took serious topics like alcohol and unrequieted love and spousal abuse and made us laugh and sometimes think. Not a bad show for ABC, in the day before the current rave REALITY BASED GAME SHOWS.

A Fire that needed stoking by the end

Author: Flippitygibbit from Yorkshire, England
16 August 2001

I loved this series, starring Brett Butler as a strong, yet fallible, recovering alcoholic with three children and a history suitable for talk shows. Or I loved the first few seasons, anyway - my local station messed the show around so much that, when I finally got to see it again, the characters had changed, and most of the humour had gone. With the initial seasons of 'Grace Under Fire', I found it hard to believe the rumours about Butler's personal life intruding onto the set. In fact, I found it hard to believe that Grace Kelly (with a mother-in-law called 'Jean' Kelly - I loved those subtle references, and contradictions - how different could Grace have been from her film star namesake?) wasn't a real person. Everyone on the show in the early years were very believable and very, very funny, Butler and Dave Thomas (Russell, the pharmacist) especially. And far from being another cliched show about 'survivor'-type women, I admired the character of Grace in a way that I didn't with 'Roseanne', a show with a similar premise of a woman (and mother) battling against life. But, as with anything, I think Grace finally ran out of steam, and introducing an older, illegitimate son tipped the balance, in my opinion.

I loved this show!

Author: kurtka69 ( from Massachusetts
31 July 2006

It ran during a time when I wasn't watching much TV, but I really enjoyed it. I just caught a rerun on the Oxygen Network, and it was nice to see it again.

Brett Butler is one of the most talented actors ever. Her show was clever, smart, and free of the saccharine that plagues a lot of sitcoms. The supporting cast—Dave Thomas, Paul Dooley, Tom Poston and others—fleshed out a genuine portrait of America with believable, sympathetic characters. I'd love to see Ms. Butler do another TV show. I know I'd watch it.

I caught her once on "Celebrity Jeopardy," and she showed that she's as smart as she seems. I don't mean to ignore the rest of the cast, but hell, Butler is one of the greatest talents out there, and I miss her show.

Brett, You Are Still # One With Me!!!!!

Author: CYNDY MOORE from United States
2 September 2006

"Grace Under Fire" was a show that I could understand and identify with, it was very realistic, it was entertaining, and at the same time, it touched on a lot of subjects in a short period of time. I am very sure that she touched a lot of other lives as she has touched mine. I continue to watch, and tape her reruns, and when I need a laugh or a pick-me-up, I put one of my many tapes in and watch them. (they are 8 hr tapes so I get a lot of joy from them) I have just discovered that her shows are out on DVD, That is good news to me, I am checking into that. I wish that there was a way that someday she would make a comeback or something similar, I miss her wit and brass charm. A True Fan Forever. Cyndy

A great start, a tragic end

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
9 January 2000

Grace Under Fire was a great show that was very funny. The series was clever and witty and very humorous. But Butler's apparent (and might I add obvious) problems hurt the show. At the start, the show's quality didn't suffer, but the final season took a massive blow. Bretler's problems had finally really hurt the show in the ratings and caused it's cancellation. A shame.

Grace Under The Influence

Author: scohcon from United States
24 April 2015

The other night the TV was on in the next room, loud enough that I could hear it. At first I thought it was an episode of Mama's Family with a special guest appearance by Carol Burnett as Eunice. Although, it sounded like she had a severely bad sinus infection.

But when I went in the room, I saw it was not Eunice with a sinus infection, or Mama's Family, but a show I had never seen before called "Grace Under Fire". So I watched it, even though I found Grace to be highly irritating and unbearable.

The only one redeeming factor to this show is Dave Thomas. However, the rest of it is a steaming pile of obnoxious crap. I asked myself, how could anyone stand more than 30 seconds of Brett Butler's congested sinus voice? And for that matter, who the Hell is Bret Butler and who in their right mind would give her a sitcom?

I guess somebody at a network board meeting said, "Wouldn't it be hysterical if we took an unknown drug addicted alcoholic 'comedienne' with severe congestion and wrote a sitcom around her?" To which someone unfortunately replied, "I love it!" Hence this "show".

Turns out that what's even sadder than this show is the reality behind it, why it was canceled and why Brett Butler never was able to land a role anywhere afterwords. From what I've read, apparently this drug addicted alcoholic exposed her sagging breasts to the little boy who had the role of her son, forcing his parents to pull him from the show, and more than likely scarring him for life.

Sick, no? This, along with her continued drug abuse and alcoholism, was why the show was canceled. This untalented annoying "comedienne" had the ultimate gig, but was so blurred, high, sick and perverted that she blew it all. Therefore, I find this show not only unwatchable, but offensive.

Grace Under Fire

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
21 September 1999

One of the great mysteries in the history of television: How did this show last? So-called comic Butler broke into prime-time television with yet another sitcom about a brassy, know it all female who tells it like it is. When Butler wasn't drunk or busy on drugs, the show was occasionally humorous. Frankly, the fact that the show lasted as long as it did shows ABC's "eye" for talent.