IMDb > "Diagnosis Murder" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Diagnosis Murder"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Diagnosis Murder" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

How could they ever cancel this show???

Author: Cheese-18 from St. Gallen, Switzerland
23 August 2002

A big fat PFOOOEY for the executives that cancelled Diagnosis Murder! As you can see the show had followers all over the world. I sure do miss it. All that is left now is to watch the reruns. But as we say in Switzerland: As soon as the money-cow can't be milked anymore it is slaughtered. Which means Dick Van Dyke and his staff have served their purpose and are now dismissed. They didn't even get a fair chance to bring their ratings back on track. Just lose some points and you're OUT - no matter who or what you are. THAT's how it works nowadays, baby.

As already stated in other reviews DM had a remarkable wit and humour. It gave the classic whodunnit-tales always a nice and warm family-touch. Especially through the relationship of the main characters Dr. Mark Sloan and his son Steve (Dick and Barry Van Dyke). But it wasn't just a personality show à la "the Van Dykes meet Sherlock Holmes". Every single member of the cast was involved and had his or her big moment.

Oh, by the way: of COURSE you didn't see the doctors doing much work in the hospital, and of COURSE if you saw them in the hospital it had to do with a case they were working on. Otherwise the show would have been called "Emergency Room"... And another thing: I have been watching the series since it was first aired in Europe years ago - and I'm 32. So what's this nonsense about DM being an "old people show"? And if so, would that automatically make it bad??? Really, there are some weird people out there.

I truly hope that there will be a DVD-set sometime soon. This series really deserves a good treatment. And Dick Van Dyke is nothing less than an incredibly gifted Genius!

Dick Van Dyke's Second Most Famous Role

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
23 April 2003

Take one part Columbo, one part E.R. and one part the Dick Van Dyke Show and you get this great show. Dick Van Dyke proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is one of the most versatile actors in the history of television. I think that this is most definitely his best role since Rob Petrie. Also, like the Dick Van Dyke Show, this show relied on a great ensemble. Victoria Rowell, Barry Van Dyke and Charlie Schlatter were great supporting characters in this great show. Too bad its not on the air anymore, I miss seeing it and its wonderful cast.

Let's not forget Norman

Author: CLIFF-43 from CARDIFF UK
4 September 2001

We in the UK have just enjoyed a summer during which I have enjoyed Hallmark TV reruns of the Diagnosis Murder series it showed earlier. I must agree with most other commentators that this is a great series with good plots, scripts and humour in which the four leads really do 'gel' to make a thoroughly enjoyable series. Dick van Dyke is truly one of the greats and yet never seems to outshine the other who clearly enjoy their work -- a fact that shines out of the screen in every episode.

However, this week both Hallmark and BBC have begun showing new series ... which are probably several years behind those being run in the US, but imagine my disappointment to find that the fifth stalwart of the team no longer appears.

I refer of course to the wonderful Norman Briggs (Michael Tucci) whose character, plotlines and timing made him an equal with the other four ... a truly enjoyable character. If he was deemed unnecessary by the producers of this series then I say "For shame - Community General Hospital will never be the same without him", but if Michael Tucci has moved moved on to other things of his own volition than I say, "Thanks for the humour Michael, and all best wishes for your future projects -- Community General will still be a poorer place with out you".

To the rest of the regular team however ... thanks for your great work on a fabulous series ... please carry on your sterling work. It truly is much appreciated.

Wonderful Whodunnit

Author: richteabiscuit from Bristol, England
13 August 2003

Thankfully as a student I have been able to watch "Diagnosis Murder" for a number of years now. It is basically about a doctor who solves murders with the help of his LAPD son, a young doctor and a pathologist. DM provided 8 seasons of exceptional entertainment. What made it different from the many other cop shows and worth watching many times over was its cast and quality of writing. The main cast gave good performances and Dick Van Dyke's entertainer roots shone through with the use of magic, dance and humor. The best aspects of DM was the fast pace, witty scripts and of course the toe tapping score. Sadly it has been unfairly compared to "Murder, She Wrote". DM is far superior boasting more difficult mysteries to solve and more variety. Now it is gone TV is a worse place. Gone are the days of feelgood, family friendly cop shows. Now there is just depressing 'gritty' ones.

The most underrated 'whodunit' series

Author: 4-Kane from Arlington, MA
13 February 2001

I remember seeing the pre-series TV-movie "Diagnosis of Murder" in 1992, but I didn't watch the Diagnosis Murder TV series until the fall of 1997 (as it was starting its fifth season), when Robert Stack made a guest appearance in the episode "Open and Shut." After that, I didn't watch the show again until January of 1998. That was when I finally started watching it on a regular basis.

Considering the fact that Diagnosis Murder mainly appeals to senior audiences, I joke at the idea of being one of the few twentysomethings who watches it. Nonetheless, it is entertaining. In addition, I consider it to be the most underrated 'whodunit' series, and one of the most underrated TV shows in general.

However, the show's most common error is that many murder victims are declared dead literally seconds after they collapse. In other words, there is little that is done to try and revive them. But that isn't always the case. Sometimes, our heroes make some effort to save them until it becomes impossible to do so.

One interesting piece of trivia is that Diagnosis Murder, which has been on for eight years, has outlasted Dick Van Dyke's other show (The Dick Van Dyke Show), which lasted an impressive five years.

With son Barry Van Dyke as Dr. Mark Sloan's son Steve comes a major advantage: if Barry "mistakenly" calls his father dad while playing their respective roles, then they at least know that it's not a mistake at all. Get it?

New fan since end of Seinfeld

Author: ali-37 from New York City
18 June 1999

I never watched this show in prime time. Then I started watching it on Pax TV at 10pm and I was hooked. Now I watch it in prime time rather than watching Frasier. I love the plots and the tongue in cheek dialogue. I especially love their theme shows filled with old TV stars. I like Dick Van Dyke in this better than as Rob Petrie.

This is decent TV. I've also started watching all the Murder She Wrote reruns on A&E. I'm tired of the hackneyed sex-obsessed teeny bopper shows on regular TV. No-I'm not a senior citizen!

The Greatest Show That You Aren't Watching

Author: Thor2000 from Collinsport, Maine
28 April 2001

For the first few episodes, I thought it was wierd to see Van Dyke play a doctor,but this show has really become one of the few shows that I will watch anymore. It has gotten a lot better since Baio left the series, and the episodes just keep getting better and better. Dick and his son have a wonderful camaraderie, and the mysteries and characters work very well. The Matlock crossover was my favorite, as are the cameo episodes where all the familiar stars return. I hope this show lasts as long as Dick wants to do it.

Why I just love diagnosis murder

Author: saculnamron from United Kingdom
25 July 2005

basically I started watching diagnosis murder on my free afternoons and I just can't get enough. Exciting plot lines and wonderful chemistry between father and son. Dick Van Dyke plays Mark Sloan the doctor with a nose for "diagnosing murder" The difference between this and some other shows it actually has warmth, feeling and don't you just want to be in that house by the beach. The gorgeous Barry Van Dyke (son Of Dick) plays Steve Sloan the warmhearted L,A,P,D Detective. It's a winning combination and it will as far I'm concerned be top of the picks I love it. Some people think it is cheesy. I don't think so at all it is well acted , exciting to watch different every time and the warm friendship between Mark and his son and co workers at community general hospital tug at the heart strings. Amanda Bentley(played by victoria Rowell) is a pathologist at community general.In series one and two the part of Jack stewart was played by Scott baio(happy days)and Norman was played by Michael Tucci(until he suddenly seemed to disappear much to my disappointment)as he made for a refreshing humorous character charlie schlater was a wonderful later addition as Jesse Travis. As Dick Van Dyke became more involved in the producing side of the show

the plot lines became more and more exciting.Episodes such as the one where Mark is frames for a murder after his son steve is criticaly wounded and sentenced to death. Thankfuly that was straightened out. Jesse is also framed for murder in a wonderful two parter where Charlie Schlaters actibg skills really come to the fore. One of my favourites was "sins of the father" 1&2 which was quich exciting and you also get to learn a bit more about the Sloan family history. Cue heart thumping action and unmissable two parters. CAtch this show if you can or it'll be a diagnosis of boredom. Did you know that Barry Van Dykes Son Shane Joined the cast as young medical student Alex. A real family affair

One of The Greatest Shows Of All Time

Author: Spooky2001 (btvsfan@gmail.com) from Woodinville, Washington
10 April 2002

If you say you won't watch Diagnosis Murder because you think it is a copy of Murder She Wrote. Then you should not dismiss this show just because of that. It is a great show with good actors. This show blends mystery, action, and humor. Dick Van Dyke is excellent as Mark Slone. Too bad the show is over but there is always repeats on Pax. If you haven't seen Diagnosis Murder then you don't know what you are missing.

The most misunderstood show in prime time

Author: Martha Kuhn (k9lovers@bright.net) from Mt. Gilead, Ohio, USA
19 September 1998

"Diagnosis Murder? That's just Murder She Wrote with Dick Van Dyke instead of Angela Lansbury, isn't it? A show for old people, right?"

NOT! If you are one of the many who have fallen into this fallacy, I'm here to set the record straight. Diagnosis Murder is an action-packed, laugh-packed roller coaster ride of a series. At its heart is its wonderful company, Dick Van Dyke, Barry Van Dyke, Victoria Rowell and Charlie Schlatter. The chemistry among these four is what I love about the show. (Well,okay, that and watching Barry Van Dyke do anything, anything at all.) The show has revealed in wonderful writers over the years who know the characters, are true to the characters, and give them situations which allow their relationships to grow, develop, and shine through to the audience.

Best of all, each year the show gets better. It's incredible. Like salmon swimming upstream--you don't know how they do it, you just stand back in awe and watch. The characters are becoming more and more real rather than turning into caricatures of themselves, the way so many series characters do. And the stories are getting more exciting, suspenseful and inventive every year.

If you haven't seen Diagnosis Murder lately--you don't know this show. Give it a watch.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]