IMDb > "Animaniacs" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Animaniacs"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Animaniacs" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Hellooooooooooo Nurse!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
26 May 2004

You know I was pondering the other day, my friends and I are children of the 90's and were going through all the awesome things we got to experience including some fun TV shows. I brought up that there is something missing from this generation, it seems as if most cartoons or kid's shows today are just lame. I was wondering if I was just saying this because I grew up, but everyone agreed and said there is one show that's proof of that: Animaniacs. We started watching the show again and the interesting thing is, as kids this show was non stop in the laughs department, now as grown ups, it seems like it actually got better. We never realized how much this show was not just meant for the kids as well as the adults as well. Animaniacs is a show that pushed the limits, had great pop culture humor, was great in animation and had the most memorable side characters.

Yakko, Wakko and Dot are three God-knows-what that were created for a new cartoon, but when they brought chaos and anarchy to the Warner Brothers Studio. Their films also seemed to make no sense, so they were locked away in the Warner Brothers tower to never be released, but every day they do what they can to escape and have adventures. They have a psychiatrist named Dr. Scratchensniff who is trying to figure out what they are and how they think. They are also constantly chased by the security guard who is trying to protect the head of the Warner Brothers studio from the three crazy little... things.

We also have several side characters, starting with Pinky and the Brain. Two lab mice, Brain does the same thing every night as he tries to take over the world with his insane goofy side kick Pinky, who's head isn't screwed on tightly enough. Mindy and Buttons, Mindy is a child who constantly always manages to escape her house and get into a mega amount of trouble while her poor dog Buttons is behind taking all the hits to protect her. Chicken Boo, a giant chicken of many clever disguises. Katie Kaboom, a hormone crazy teenager who looses her temper just a bit too easy and always turns into a giant monster. Rita and Runt, a stranded cat and dog, Rita sings and Runt thinks she's a cool dog. Slappy Squirrel and her nephew Skippy, she's an old cartoon star who's a bit cranky with the way cartoons are made now-a-days. Flavio and Marita, two high class hippo's enjoying the city life. Menerva Mink, quite the looker, who is looking for her true love. Mr. Skullhead who always takes the most random hits for Yakko, Wakko and Dot. And of course, The Goodfeathers, based off of Goodfellas, three pigeons who are trying to be "coo" with the city and claim their territory of Statue Scorcesse.

Animaniacs is such a classic cartoon, it broke my heart that this show was somehow canceled, I don't know why it was. It brought great laughs and a fun spin off with Pinky and the Brain. There are extremely clever jokes, to pick a favorite skit to someone to ask you if you'd rather be in love or have millions of dollars, it's just too hard to pick. Yeah, I'm a crappy romantic, I know. But Animaniacs is a show that I sincerely miss, if you ever get the chance to see it, please take it! It's so funny to see all the jokes that you laughed as a kid then grow up to get the real meaning behind it.

not just for kids

Author: (ajdagreat) from USA
30 June 2001

When I was a kid, this was my favorite show. I still love the show for its great music and hilarious episodes, but I don't admit it anymore. It's too bad that this is seen as a childish cartoon, because a lot of the jokes are for adults too. Not just the inside-jokes about Hollywood and Bill Clinton, but there were also jokes such as this one (from the Thanksgiving episode):

Yakko is protecting his turkey friend from a hunter who wants to make the turkey into Thanksgiving dinner. The hunter insists, "Give me the bird!" Yakko counters with, "We would, but the FOX censors won't allow it."

The music is great, the show is hilarious, the animation is outstanding. Some of the minor characters are really dumb though, (Minerva Mink, that nameless blue baby bird, etc.) but most of them are funny. It's a real shame that very few adults would sit down and watch this show.

Faboo!!!

Author: Jane Murdoch (janey_smile) from Belfast, N.Ireland
5 December 2004

Animaniacs was THE cartoon of the 90s!! It was ace. The writing and animation were brilliant, and the voice acting was in a league of it's own.

Unlike Warner Brother's contemporaries, Tiny Toons and Taz-mania (which I also loved), Animaniacs would always show at least three different franchises an episode, meaning there was always something for everyone. The humour was very sophisticated for a cartoon, and as a result it could entertain kids and adults alike.

The main franchise revolved around the Warner Brothers and their sister (The Warner Siblings, then), Yakko, Wakko, and Dot. Locked in the studio water tower for 60 years for being too crazy, they break out and proceed to drive just about everyone they meet around the bend. It was great. However, if they didn't appeal (as if) or you fancied a change, there were many other equally wonderful characters with their own adventures, including Slappy the Squirrel, Rita and Runt, Buttons and Mindy and Pinky and the Brain (who got their own spin off), to name but a few.

If, for some reason you disagree, or managed to survive the 90s without ever seeing an episode, I suggest you seek this show out! I guarantee you you won't regret it. It is, to quote the show, 'Faboo!!'

Much more than a cartoon

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
24 July 2000

In a great tradition of Warner Bros., Animaniacs is a very well written and funny show. The show had a clever wit to it that so many shows lack these days. Just watch any cartoon on ABC and you will see what I mean. The early episodes were without a doubt the best overall.

Adults too can laugh

Author: Duke_Hologram from Ottawa, Canada
10 August 2003

I'm writing this in agreement with the people who say that Animaniacs isn't just for children. I remember vividly watching this show as a kid, and even today as a young adult. It is such an amazingly hilarious show with many sorts of jokes, and innuendos that anyone could appreciate. It also stands as a reminder of all of the great cartoons produced in the late eighties and early nineties when I was growing up.

Recently while watching this show, I heard a joke that only teenagers or adults would understand. It was in the episode where Slappy goes to get plastic surgery. Her nephew, Skippy, is somewhat curious about the procedure that his aunt is about to under take, and he decides that he'll go and visit her. At the reception desk he looks at the secretary for the plastic surgery office and remarks, "Gee lady, your skin is so tight you could bounce quarters off of it!"

I actually laughed for about five minutes solid! I think that people who consider this show childish or silly should watch it again, and really look for all of the cleverly concealed adult jokes. I think you'll find that the show is quite enjoyable, and that it is one of the greats in nineties cartoons.

Good animated series!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
17 August 2004

When this show was on I watched it every time I could! I thought that the characters were really funny and all had great personalities. The animation in My opinion was crisp, clean, and really clear. Not to mention beautiful! Most of the characters in this show are like the older Looney Tunes characters that we all love. These I believe are just as funny and as talented. In fact, Some of them are arguably funnier than the originals! The things that goes on in this series' cartoons are in My opinion nuts which that is what makes them hilarious! There are so many to like and laugh at and the silly things they do! If you like the original Looney Tunes then I strongly recommend that you watch Animaniacs!

Movie Nuttball's NOTE:

If you like Animaniacs then I also recommend Taz-Mania and Tiny Toon Adventures!

This is one funny show

Author: FrankBooth_DeLarge from someplace
5 April 2005

I used to love Animaniacs when I was younger. The animation, voice work, and music are all great. The humor is very funny in a smart way, it isn't a stupid show like many other kids shows that are released today. There are plenty of adult jokes that will entertain the adults who are watching the show with their kids.

The characters in this show are all very unique and make the show worth watching. Two very famous characters, Pinky and the Brain, had their own spin off show after-wards. Pinky and the Brain are two lab rats who are always trying to take over the world.

This was a great show, it's a shame that many adults thought it was only for kids, because there really were plenty of jokes for the adults.

If you ever get to see this show, watch it all the way to the end. It is very funny.

Great cartoon!

Author: Miriam G. from Iceland
17 November 2006

Growing up in the 90s, I watched these cartoons a lot and liked them. Even when I was young I realised that the Animaniacs were a bit different from most other cartoons. Like the episode where they make fun of Barney. At that age I wasn't used to seeing such blatant parodies, so I just remember thinking: "Wow! Are they allowed to do that?"

Recently I decided to check this show out again, for nostalgia's sake. This is when I discovered that it's even better than I remembered it to be. It's not just a silly kids' show, but it's full of clever humour that people of any age can appreciate. There are some scenes that I can watch again and again without getting tired of them. Like when Yakko sings about the nations of the world. Or when they sing about the ingredients of ice cream and candy bars (scary). Brilliant! I recommend watching this show with your kids, if you have any. If you don't, watch it on your own.

Work of Genius(7/10)

Author: outsider-2 from Rugby, England
14 August 1999

The writers of this show definitely deserve a pat on the back - memorable characters, great scripts and lots of subtle references for the adults to catch all make this fantastic viewing for the whole family! Plus, the voices are superb, if I'm ever home when its showing and I happen to come across it - I usually let go of the remote control

Does Animaniacs still come on? Some one let me know!

Author: sasgtf from United States
28 December 2004

Does anyone know if Animaniacs still comes on? What channel and time? please let me know. I grew up watching it and i love it. i keep hearing rumors that its still on . people are saying its on cartoon network, boomerang, nickelodeon, but i never see them. i think people should get together and bring them back. i don't care how crazy it sounds the show is worth it. and they need to bring it back to the WB cause i heard when they moved it to nick they changed the whole intro. I'm just trying to get the greatest cartoon back or if its on now i want to know when it's on and what channel. we need classic cartoons like those back because now we got those damn card game shows with dragons coming out of the cards. and then we got Pokémon thats so retarded an poorly animated. please someone holla if you feel me.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]