IMDb > "Aladdin" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Aladdin"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Aladdin" More at IMDbPro »

One of my favorites.

Author: furienna from Sweden
20 October 2006

Once again, I check out the user comments for a great Disney TV show only to be surprised at the many negative reviews. This is one of my favorite TV shows ever from Disney. It's full of adventure and humor, and I don't think Aladdin and Jasmine are as two-dimensional as many other reviewers here have claimed. Okay, I have to admit, that Genie, Jago and sometimes Abu are the funny characters, not Aladdin and Jasmine, but that doesn't make them two-dimensional. This show is a classic of the 90s, and it deserves every praise it can get. Many Disney shows are ones, that I used to watch back in the day, but now, I don't like them anymore. But "Aladdin" will never get too childish or too disgusting or too annoying for me.

I was addicted to this show.

Author: maxvaughn from Arizona, USA/Hull, England
24 March 2002

This show had semi-good animation for what it was, but that was not what drew me in as a kid. The plot lines and dialogue were witty and action grabbing. The villains were possibly the best on TV at the time. Mozenrath was the greatest! Something I especially enjoyed were the little things thrown in from other movies or TV shows of that same genre. For example, there was an episode about the Blue Rose of Forgetfullness, which is an item from a movie called "The Thief of Bagdad". (By the way, if you watch "Thief of Bagdad", you'll see where Disney got most of their name ideas and character designs for the first Aladdin movie). Even though it's sort of a sad thing to admit, but when I was ten I ran home everyday to see this show. One of the things I liked the most was that every character was included at some point. Even the Sultan had a chance to be a hero every now and again.

Hey, it's Aladdin :)

Author: Merkal from Netherlands
9 July 2002

In my humble personal opinion Aladdin is Disney's best animated classic ever. So naturally I watched the series, and watched again, and watched again. Disney gives the main character more personally, the good sides but also the flaws and okay sometimes they miss and make a main character out of character. Al and Jas meet many new friends and about the same on enemies. Friends like the people of Odiferans, barbarians that aren't that smart and enjoy stinking cheese or Sadira a semi-friend, semi-villian street girl just like Aladdin does everything in her sand powers to make Aladdin fall in love with her. Take the mysterius Fashir, a blind old man that knows Aladdin's future. Some are smart and power like the mighty wizard Mozenrath or the catty sorceress Mirage others are not so smart and not nearly has powerful like the thief Abis Mal or the inventor Mechanicles (though he has brains.

If you liked Aladdin then you'll certainly enjoy watching Disney's Aladdin the series.

This is not the movie!

Author: charliote13 from United States
5 August 2008

As many of you know the series was thought of as an adaptation of the movie but this is a continuation of the Return of Jafar. This series was necessary because of the depth and closure to all the characters that many of us don't get with many series. In this see the many obstacles that Aladdin faced trying to show people(especially the Palace Guard Razoul) that he was sultan material, Jasmine showed that she was a more defensive strong character that she was tough enough, and more Aladdins' past more revealed in this series(minus the whole King of Thieves). I know many of us didn't like that there was no Robin Williams but the Disney Company screwed up and it was settled. I gave Dan Castellaneta a fair chance and the result. He was a good recovery and still the Genie was still Genie. His voice was good too so no harm no foul. In all a great series and it really is the best series out there that makes pop culture and history fun to learn.

Howard Ashman R.I.P. (1950-1991)

Better than Return of Jafar at any rate!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 February 2009

The show isn't as good as the original and the King of Thieves(which is the best DTV sequel) but much better than the disappointing Return of Jafar. All the characters are well done, with the exception of Aladdin who seemed immature, and also Abis Mal who I never could stand, and generally the animation is good. Dan Castellanetta is funnier than he was in Jafar, and Jasmine seems more mature and vivacious. Most of the story lines are excellent, with great villains like Mozenrath, Ayama Aghoul, Mechanicles and Mirage. My favourite two episodes however were "Heads You Lose" and "Hero with a Thousand Feathers" with great humour, good stories, and the fantastic Tim Curry as Caliph Kapok and Amok Mon Ra. The rest of the episodes showed great promise too especially "Garden of Evil", "The Book of Kartoum" and "Armored and Dangerous". Well worth watching! 8/10 Bethany Cox

Pretty good show

Author: Rebecca Matthews (smokiekittycat@yahoo.com) from United States
15 May 2006

I like this show I remember when it was on at 3. There are a few shows that show they have something for each other/Genie and Iago are themselves funny silly sarcastic and loud i love that! Abysmal is an idiot he just wants the hat/My favorite episode are do the rat thing and all the sadira one turning into a rat and Iago into a lizard. Sadara was in 4 episodes she created a sand monster switch places with jasmine turned Aladdin into a dragon slayer met the witches of the sand and don't eat her soup unless you want to be an hour glass like Iago heheh. Jafar did come back in 2000 something he teamed up with hades Disney decided to do 8 more shows before finishing the series. This is one of my favorite shows!

Well, if you liked the movie, then...

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
11 March 2004

...you may find this rip-off TV adaptation fun. It's a silly, pointless cash-in, but also quite entertaining.

I can't believe that Scott Weinger actually returned to do the vocals. Oh, never mind, I can.

It's the many adventures of Aladdin! Luckily, the show actually retains much of the spirit of the film (which I rate 5/5), and that's quite refreshing. It's a lot better than some TV show adaptations.

If you liked the movie, give this a go.

If not, then stay away.

Overall rating: 4/5 stars.

- John Ulmer

Brings Back Childhood Memories...

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
29 August 2004

"Aladdin" was one of my favorite T.V. shows when I was little. I was 6 years old when it premiered and I remember waking up early Saturday mornings with my sister to watch this show along with "The Little Mermaid" T.V. series. I loved this show and I loved the movie.

I especially loved the theme song of this show and my favorite character was Abu, he was so cute. My sister's favorite character was Jasmine. I also liked the magic carpet and I used to wish I had one of my own. My favorite episode was "The Secret of Dagger Rock".

Overall I really enjoyed this show when I was little and I still enjoy it now whenever I get a chance to watch it. I give this show 9/10 stars.

Nostalgic

Author: Meaghan Edwards from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
29 October 2011

When I was in fifth grade, Aladdin was the staple of my childhood. I was hooked on the original movie still and became just as hooked on Return of Jafar. When news came out there was going to be a television series, I could not be more delighted! Not only was I on an Aladdin kick, I also dearly missed the number of Disney Afternoon shows (particularly Darkwing Duck and TaleSpin) which were no longer in production. I needed another Disney AFternoon show to get hooked on, and Aladdin had filled in that void quite nicely.

Although it has been a number of years since I've last seen the show (I will have to dig out my old VHS tapes of taped episodes), fondness and memories remain. It was the sidekicks in my eyes that truly stole the show for me. I became a big fan of Iago's since the maligned sequel came out, and seeing more of him was a treat for me.

My only flaws for the show were some of the original characters I didn't particularly care for and I felt some of the animation was "rushed" looking, but all in all, a terrific show!

Good adaptation of the movies

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
4 January 2000

This was a good series and a good adaptation of the popular films. There was a lot of action in this long running cartoon series as well as humor. Most of the cast from the movies were here for this series. While some were not, most notably of course would be Robin Williams who voiced the Genie in two of the movies. Dan Castellaneta (Homer from The Simpsons) came in to voice the Genie and in my opinion sounds a lot like Williams. A fun series for the entire family.