IMDb > "Absolutely Fabulous" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Absolutely Fabulous"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Absolutely Fabulous" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

They're back, sweetie, and louder than ever!

Author: Vince-5 from Pennsylvania
24 November 2001

In the current climate of social restriction and political correctness, there is something very liberating about watching people do all the things society tells us are bad without one iota of regret. This is made even more powerful by making the characters a pair of middle-aged, upper-crust women who "should know better."

Who says Brits are stuffy? In the outrageous world of jet-setters Edina Monsoon (Jennifer Saunders--is there anything she CAN'T do?) and Patsy Stone (Joanna Lumley), moderation is but a myth, darling! These two babes are BENEATH the Valley of the Dolls--piles of pills, mountains of coke, gallons of Bolly-Stoli cocktails...and whatever else is fashionable at the present time. They slavishly follow trends, kiss the butts of celebrities, torment Eddy's straight-laced daughter Saffron (Julia Sawalha), and basically do whatever must be done to get exactly what they want, when they want it. There are no lessons, no judgments, no treacly sentimental bits to tug at one's heartstrings. Thank bloody God!

AbFab is the perfect alternative for those repulsed by the sugary sewage typically pumped through the picture tube, where everyone does "the right thing" ("Don't do that in front of me or I'll throw up!"). Sharp in all departments, with a terrific cast, hilarious (and surprisingly true) writing, and a gorgeously gaudy wardrobe for Eddy ("Lacroix, sweetie!"). And best of all, after a five-year absence, THEY ARE BACK! These lovable lushes have NOT had their Last Shout--and don't you dare think they've mellowed! Joyously self-absorbed chaos is still the name of the game, and nobody plays it better than Eddy and Patsy.

"All right, cheers, thanks a lot."

The British still kick the American's rears when it comes to comedy.

Author: BlackJack_B (bluethunder35@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
12 November 2001

With the great news that Jennifer Saunders has a new batch of AB FAB episodes ready for us, my enthusiasm for this show is still high. Although I'm probably not the average AB FAB fan, I'm high on British comedy, and I watched this series religiously when it was on T.V. in the mid-90s. This show is awesome. The British know how to make you laugh.

Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley play Edina and Patsy, two flower children who still live the high life. Forever drinking, smoking, sexing, and taking drugs; these two spend their free time taking pot shots at celebrities while abusing Edina's straight-laced daughter Saffron (Julie Sawalha). These two are the funniest characters ever conceived in a long time. Filled with incredible character development, excellent scripts, and excellent acting, you won't find a comedy better than this. Ever since this show, I really like it when someone calls me "sweetie"!

And Ms. Saunders hasn't lost her touch, as the first new episode shows that they haven't lost their touch, the show still is a laugh riot. If you're sick of America's attempts at humour, the Brits will cure you of that.

Absolutely Amazing Show

Author: skillwithaquill from United States
29 January 2005

I'm going to be honest. The first time I saw the show, I didn't like it one bit. It annoyed me and I didn't find it funny. But one afternoon I was stuck in bed with a cold and Absolutely Fabulous happened to be on. I decided to give it another chance.

Wow, am I glad that I gave it second chance!

Absolutely Fabulous has a definite oddball sense of humor that can be really hilarious. I find myself laughing out loud at the oddest comments and jokes. Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders are a great team and never cease to impress me. I own almost all the DVDs and I don't typically buy television shows on DVD, usless I really enjoy them. As the tag line says, sin is in, sweetie! 10/10

"Ab Fab" is the hottest thing on television!!

Author: Funkypizza2001 from New Jersey
4 February 2002

I have to be honest and say that i have never heard of this show before Comedy Central put it on their station in November. I watch One episode, and i was converted to Ab Fab since then. I always watch Patsy and Edina on Mondays at 9, and pretty soon i will be getting the DVD.

This show is really amazing. It has more to it then them getting drunk and acting stupid, it has clever lines and jokes i could never come up with. I envy Jennifer Saunders for her talent, she is absolutely funny and fabulous! So is Joanna Lumley. Shows like "Absolutely Fabulous" make me want to be from Britain because i have to say, that with the comedy they have their, we could not even compare to them.

Ab Fab is the one of the Best TV shows, EVER!!!!!!!! I hope that Patsy and Edina come back to treat us to more AB FAB!!!

One of the best Britcoms ever made!!

Author: theshape-13 (Theshape5150@hotmail.com) from United States
22 March 2006

"Absolutely Fabulous" is, without a doubt, one of the funniest shows to ever come across the pond from the U.K.! Apparently, the sitcom's subject matter and flat-out political incorrectness made it too edgy for local PBS stations to run. Instead, the cable channel COMEDY CENTRAL acquired the initial US rights from the BBC in the mid-1990s. The rest is history.

AB FAB (as we fans refer to it with affection) is the saga of Edina Monsoon (Eddy) and her fabulous pal Patsy Stone. Eddy & Patsy do everything in life to excess - drink, smoke, party. While Eddy has a PR firm (she represents LuLu) and a shop, her main income comes from the alimony her two ex-husbands give her. Eddy lives in a nice home in London's Holland Park area with her stuffed-shirt daughter Saffron (Saffy) who is the opposite of Eddy in every way. Patsy, on the other hand, has a flat above Oddbins, a liquor store. Also on hand was Eddy's bubble-headed assistant Bubble and her widowed mother (referred to as 'Gran' by Saffy) AB FAB was an instant hit here in the US - the initial 3 series of 18 episodes (6 eps in 1992, 6 in 1994 & 6 in 1995) were played to the hilt by Comedy Central. Roseanne the comedienne even bought the rights to update the series for US television, but nothing ever materialized. In 2002 Comedy Central, in joint production with the BBC, produced 6 more AB FABS eps. In these new episodes, viewers learned that in this post-9/11 world, Eddy and Patsy hadn't changed a bit. In 2004, the cable channel Oxygen teamed with the BBC and had another series of 7 episodes produced. There were also 2 AB FAB specials produced as well.

Sin is in, Sweetie!!

I love AbFab!!!

Author: nathid
5 February 2001

AbFab is probably the best Britcom ever made. I Absolutely love it!!! Each episode was brilliantly written and hilariously funny. Jennifer Saunders demonstrated how brilliant she is at writing / performing without Dawn French and Joanna Lumley showed that she has great comic timing as well as a superb talent for dramatic roles.

As a true AbFab fan, I have bought all of the videos and, even though i know them off by heart, I still find them Absolutely hilarious.

As were many other people, I was completely heart broken when Jennifer Saunders revealed that she was ending the show in 1995. But since then, there has been a very funny American remake that I've had chance to see called "High Society", and I highly recommend it to any other AbFab fans.

Life simply hasn't been the same, for me without AbFab, but Jennifer Saunders has apparently confirmed rumors that there is a fourth series in the works...

Bawdy and hilarious

Author: EricTee from Maine
30 April 2002

Without a doubt one of the most original and raucous TV series made. Though I'm not sure all American audiences understand it (I heard Joanna Lumley say in an interview "America gets the joke.") I think if you look at it more than just a couple of middle aged party girls behaving badly, and look at it as a commentary on our obsession with youth and 'perfection', it's easier to understand.

The one thing I love about this show is it's biting commentary on pop culture and the obsession on being 'thin and gorgeous!' Saunders and Lumley are both hilarious and sad as the two aging 'slags' who refuse to grow up. I also enjoy the relationship between Saunders and her TV daughter. There are great moments of real mother/daughter conflict, tempered by crass humor and genuine tenderness. Though in most cases, it would be the daughter being chastised for coming in at 4:00 AM wearing a Marilyn Manson tee shirt, and strung out on coke.

However, two things have always bothered me regarding this show: firstly, the Edina character always seems so frantic and disorganized, yet she somehow manages to run a successful(?) business. Secondly, though I love it, the earlier seasons always seem to be a 'one joke' show. Eddie and Patsy get drunk, Eddie falls out of the car, Saffy scolds her...and so on.

Wonderful supporting cast and acid wit make this a favorite !

Top comedy. UK does it again

Author: Mmyers2003 from England, UK
30 December 2002

Its difficult for me to rate this show because theres nothing else i can say about it that someone else hasn't said. Its funny, Hilarious and above all funny. Watch it if you ever get the chance to. Just read the other reviews to see the evidence in how good this show is.

Back and darker than ever

Author: Britlaw1 from London UK
9 December 2001

Another six new episodes were shown in the UK in September and October 2001 after a gap of five years, probably after the pilot for a new Saunders series ('Mirrorball') with virtually the same cast got nowhere.

The new series was much darker than the earlier ones, and if you thought they were cruel wait till you see these.

That said it is still the funniest thing on. It is shaping up to be a classic like 'Steptoe and Son' - (for our American readers it was remade for you from our scripts as Sandford and Son) and with the same generational battle going on, with the main premise being the reversal of the usual roles, so that the young daughter is the responsible one.

Joanna Lumley, one of the nicest actresses around and an occasional columnist in the 'Times' again invests Patsy with great power dressing, disdainful looks that can curdle milk and horrendous self interest.

Jane Horrocks (who has grown to be a huge star from her original bit part in this show nearly ten years ago) still appears as Bubble in the new series but now has a dual role as an inane but ambitious day time chat queen Katy Grin.

Ruby Wax is again script editor and her influence is obvious in some of the sharper lines, and as in the third series she does a cameo (as a moustachioed post menopausal woman)in the episode about Eddie reaching the 'change'.

Has a huge gay following (well Patsy virtually is a drag queen, a point made several times in the third series)- in the UK gay pubs and clubs scheduled their events not to clash with its 9pm Friday slot on BBC1.

Absolutely Fabulous it will always be!

Author: Stockard
28 December 2003

Absolutely fabulous is exactly what the title says. i didn't start watching until the third series but as soon as i saw one episode i was hooked. I bought every single series and they are all fantastic and no matter how many times i watch them they never fail to make me laugh. I really enjoy seeing the various ways Patsy and Edina can walk up Eddie's stairs and come down them! And the way they both get out of their cars!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]