IMDb > "Screenplay" You, Me & Marley (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Screenplay" You, Me & Marley (1992)

« Prev | 80 of 86 Episodes | Next »

Unforgettable, extremely black comedy

Author: refill from Edmonton, Canada
28 February 2006

I saw this at a film festival in the early '90s at Edmonton's late, lamented "Local Heroes International Screen Festival." It obviously stuck with me. Here I am, 13 years later, tracking it down on IMDb. I had hoped it would be available somewhere on DVD, but no luck.

I loved this movie's unrelenting humour and humanity in the face of bleak and senseless violence. It's a tough, jarring mixture -- I remember quite a number of people walking out of the screening -- but I've never seen anything like it before or since. Those who made it through the screening were talking about the movie for the rest of the festival.

It will be a crime if "You, Me and Marley" has disappeared forever.

Car theft movie set in Northern Ireland

Author: mrenaut from United Kingdom
13 February 2005

This seems to be a film that has largely disappeared since it was shown on the BBC in the early 1990s. I haven't seen it since but it contained enough violence and car chase / crash action to stay in the mind of an 18 year old. From what I remember a group of kids living in Northern Ireland, probably Belfast, get their kicks from stealing and joy-riding around in cars. Naturally the British Army, perhaps the Irish Army too, take exception to this. Especially when the kids try to ram through their roadblocks. There seemed to be a lot of violence i.e. people having kneecaps shot out, so it's not one to recommend for all the family but I do remember some pretty incredible stunt-work and car chases involving what were, at the time, probably fairly new cars. This seemed unusual for what appeared to be a budget British / Irish film - I always assumed it was a BBC produced / subsidised movie. I'd certainly be interested to watch it again and see how well it compares to more modern films.

Fantastic low budget film!

Author: beardyboy from United Kingdom
29 December 2005

I have to say when this was first shown on the TV i was a bit pessimistic! I knew the film was shot on my old estate in Oldham, and i knew there was car theft involved. Funnily enough car crime was at a massive high and i wasn't into that but i found it informative and gave you an insight into the underworld of Northern Ireland in the early 90's. Very fast moving and some great tunes excellent chase scenes and a very well written script. i have been looking for this film for a number of years and i would appreciate any help given! Best thing is in the final scene with the crossing the boarder i was in it!

About You Me and Marley

Author: internetonly-1 from United Kingdom
28 March 2009

Hi there, was reading your comments about the movie and could help noticing you don't have a copy. I have the 1992 DVD Rip (702MB) if your interested.

I am a member of several private torrent sites and would be more than happy to seed if you are interested in having your own copy. Please contact me preferably via e-mail as don't visit here that often. Internetonly@inbox.com

And yes, it is an amazing movie.

Cheers

As it was many years ago since I last the film I had actually forgot about it until a friend of mine was talking about it, funily enough only last week. After extensive searches I have it again and pleased so say my memories has again been refreshed :)

A staple of British Columbia's "Knowledge Network" programming

Author: angels_egg1 from Vancouver, BC
27 March 2008

I still have a copy of this film on VHS that I taped off of BC's Knowledge Netwrok TV station. I remember scrambling for a tape when it was rerun for the third time. The previous two times I had caught it in the middle of one of its insanely violent sequences that disturbed me deeply when I saw it at the age of ten. There were moments where I was unsure if it was a documentary or reality. I recall the scene where a juvenile delinquent is taken out to an old shack by vigilantes and has his hands repeatedly smashed with a wooden club. "Put your hands on the table! Put your f***kin hands on the table!" SMASH! "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" "Put your hands back on the table! Put your hands back on the table!" SMASH! "AHHHHHHHHHH!" I also recall that one of the actresses in the film turned up briefly during the Uma Thurman overdose scene in Pulp Fiction shortly thereafter. A fascinating piece of ultra-violence.