IMDb > With a Vengeance (1992) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

With a Vengeance (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Surprisingly decent movie!

Author: Aschley Martel (mywarriorxena@hotmail.com) from CANADA
23 August 2001

I had never heard of this movie before, but while looking for something to rent at the video store, I saw this on DVD listed as a new release even though it was 9 years old! It sounded half interesting and I was a Melissa Gilbert fan from LHOTP, so I gave it a shot. It turned out to be a really excellent movie. A happy surprise was that Matthew Lawrence was in it. He is such a cute boy. And he was real good in it. Everyone was. Even Michael Gross who I don't like. Far cry from Family Ties! Out of 10 I give this movie a 10. It had a lot of great stuff about it and I don't think there was anything I didn't like in it. So if you happen to find this little unknown hidden movie, give it a try! It's also called Undesirable =) At least in Canada. Bye!

Compelling thriller - have never tired of watching it

Author: Janet Newcome from United Kingdom
28 May 2005

This made for TV movie stars Melissa Gilbert and a very young Matthew Lawrence along with the father from family ties in a very different role as a father with a different twist. The music is haunting and atmospheric and I have found this enjoyable on numerous occasions. the main character Janet begins work as a nanny for Matthew Lawrence's character who has problems but she has her own demons to deal with. I particularly enjoy watching the relationship develop between Janet and the young boy and between herself and his father Mike. with his support she can begin to rebuild her own life and the jigsaw of her life. The suspense is kept up right until the end. I have never tired of watching this film which was shown on TV a number of years ago.

Can't get tired of Watching It ! Haunting musical Score !

Author: Nicholas Rhodes from Ile-de-France / Paris Region, France
20 May 2002

I'd already seen this on French TV a couple of times and was determined to possess the original English-language version - which I found on a DVD purchased from the United States. Unfortunately the film has 2 titles - Undesirable and With a Vengeance - God knows why but that doesn't facilitate searching for a DVD ! This is an excellent story and the actress, Melissa Gilbert is, well.......... cute ! The bad guy in the film by the name of Michael Gross is genuinely FRIGHTENING and suspense is maintained from the beginning till the very end at a constant pace. Also, the very effective and memorable music score background music sends shivers up your spine, and the use of "tinted flashbacks" is very effective. Only one negative point, picture quality, even on the DVD is not up to scratch for 1992. I would certainly recommend this film to any one who likes good suspense films and also for its very beautiful actress ! I was most enthralled by the way that love slowly blossoms between Melissa Gilbert and her new-found companion Jack Scalie and his adorable little son who is really cute when he accompanies Gilbert alone on her journey to Portland !

Mel and Jack reunited for another murder mystery.But the party ends fast

Author: Stanbabe from Mamaroneck, New York, USA
7 June 2003

Melissa Gilbert and Jack Scailia reunited for this second venture into murder mystery.As Federal Agent and father Jack tries to find out about Mel's past.And help her discover who she really is.Ms.Gilbert's character is a young amnesaic.Who can't remember her real identity.The reason that she can't remember who she is? Is due to her suffering from emotional trauma.That was caused by seeing her father(played by Michael Gross)killing her mother and little brother and chasing her into the woods.Where the poor young woman barely escapes this homicidal mainiac.Ms.Gilbert gets a job caring for Agent Scailia's son(Mat Lawrence).But he becomes suspicious of her credentials.Since most of her previous experiences as a nanny are non exisistent.It's not until he finds out about her situation that both Scailia and another agent try to seek out the truth about this poor girl.Unaware that they're being stalked by Ms.Gilbert's father(Mr.Gross).Who wants to make sure that Mel woin't escape from him this time.And that he'll prevent the two feds and Jack's kid from capturing him for murder.The plot like Gilbert's and Scailia's previous tv movie effort:"Donor"is predictable and becomes tiresome after a time.Ms.Gilbert tries to make this venture enjoyable.But her character has no enthusiasium at all.The most interesting character in the film is Mr.Lawrence.His performance is cute.But despite Mr.Lawrence's and Ms.Gilbert's efforts.With A Vengence! is A tv movie drama..without any real thrills ,a good performance or a meaningful story.