IMDb > Where the Day Takes You (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Where the Day Takes You

Where the Day Takes You More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Just a flat out great movie

Author: Joe Bauer (bauer@neo.lrun.com) from Canton, Ohio
5 February 2000

I pretty much rented this movie because the cast on the cover was rather impressive, and one of the people I work for told me it was really good. All I can say is, those people that raved about Kids have no idea what they are talking about, this is a much more realistic and true look at life on the street than Kids ever was. Small parts from Will Smith and Alyssa Milano (you won't recognize her till you see her name in the credits at the end) stand out strongly and Sean Astin gives a very good performance that is unlike most of the films you would see him in (Rudy for example). I really don't want to give away anything about the plot because I rented it not knowing hardly anything about it and I think that's the way it should be watched. This is just a flat out great movie.

unsettling study of street kids

Author: thomandybish from Weaverville, NC
10 July 2001

This overlooked film about teens surviving on the streets of Los Angeles came and went pretty quickly when initially released. Pity, because it's a film that deserves a wider audience. Within the device of a journalist doing interviews as research for an article on runaways, we're introduced to a band of teens who have formed a defacto family and the various situations they encounter on the street. King(Durmont Mulroney)is the leader and protector of an assortment of kids that include druggie Greg(Sean Astin), Little J(Balthasar Getty), smart-mouthed Brenda(Ricki Lake), and newcomer Heather(Lara Flynn Boyle), whom King takes a shine to. The film follows then through their days of riding boxcars, sleeping under overpasses, and hanging out in public places while avoiding cops, drug dealers, and pimps. While the film downplays some aspects of the streets( the violence and emotional devastation of child prostitution is acknowledged but not conveyed directly), others are show with uncomfortable intensity. For some of these kids, it's a one-way trip down. Sean Austin's fate as the speed-freak Greg is disturbing; the final shot of his character in the film haunted me for days.

So emotional

Author: dancing-queen from California, USA
16 December 2003

I absolutely love this film but I can only watch it once a year because it makes me so sad, I have never cried so much in a film ever, I'm left a nervous wreck, I don't know if it's because I'm happy or sad the way things worked out, but my hat is off to the writer, director, and all the actors, especially Sean Astin's portrayal of Greg. Very emotional film, I suggest you don't watch it alone, as you need to have someone with you to laugh and cry with! Extraordinary filmmaking!

Wow...

Author: nalbrecht84 from Perth, Australia
9 March 2002

Where the day takes you I found to be a really interesting film. Seeing all those big names (Sean Astin, Will Smith, Dermot Mulroney & Rikki Lake) before they all really became famous was great. They all played thier parts amazigly well and the way the movie was done was great. Marc Rocco should be proud. I found it very true to the way life on the street is and think more movies like this should be done, but I suppose it's just that every so often you find one of these movies, and that they're unreplaceable.

Excellent!!!

Author: kellieknight from Montreal, Canada
3 September 2002

Rocco took an amazing group of actors and made a beautiful piece that not only refrained from glamourising and sugar-coating life on the streets, but kept a low-key tone to the show rather than play up the idea of a movie with some of Hollywood's best young actors in it. It presents a real issue in a very real way, and was also a movie you were drawn into, rather than taking on a news broadcast tone. The characters are likable with all their flaws, and you find yourself crying with them at points. The downside to this movie is that it is one of those indy films that few will sit down and watch. Luckily those who do will not be disappointed.

A marvelous performance by all

Author: SamwiseTrosser45 from Frederick, Maryland, USA
22 October 2002

Each actor/actress in this film plays to perfection. As usual, Sean Astin captured my imagination, and I couldn't believe that this was the same person who played Rudy. The plot is well written, and I was captivated by how realistic it was. I could totally see this happening not only in downtown L.A., but in any other big city as well. It was made in 1992, but like Rebel Without a Cause, it stays universal.

Awesome. This is what star power should be used for!

Author: Liam Patterson (celtcub@slip.net) from SF, Ca
16 March 1999

The exploits of the kids in this film are way too real. I used to live on the streets and this film is the first time I've seen street life without the Hollywood polish on it. Granted all the faces are familiar, and everyone in the film is a star, they play the parts with grit and realism. It's really great to see that this lifestyle is portrayed as less than glamourous, because all too often "homeless" movies make it seem like it's easy to get out of it........

Sean Astin making us feel

Author: Cassandra_Jade (cassaholmes@hotmail.com) from England
6 February 2004

Moving film with issues that people who have been in the same situations will be able to relate to. Sean Astin(Greg) was really good in this film he played his part well and you feel for him and try to understand how it must feel living life the way they all do on the streets. Great cast line-up and it was good to see Will Smith in there. All the characters seemed real not just movie stars playing homeless kids.

Gritty and touching film about homeless youth in Hollywood,CA

Author: Derek Williams (derekwilliams1974@yahoo.com) from New York, NY USA
26 December 2004

"Where The Day Takes You" is about the homeless youth who come from all over the country to escape their dysfunctional families to live on the streets of Hollywood.It is here that this youth form surrogate families with other homeless youth.

This film chronicles one such family of homeless youth headed by King who is the father figure.A violent confrontation with another homeless leader turns for the worse and King finds himself desperately trying to keep his family together while avoiding the law.

The movie is surprisingly honest about dangers of living on the street and yet portrays the real sense of community that this homeless youth shares with each other.

My only issue with this film was perhaps the Melissa Etheridge music which distracted me.It got more tolerable with repeated viewings of this film but to be fair I am not much of a Melissa Etheridge fan.

If you like movies about Hollywood or films featuring young attractive actors playing disaffected youth then I would suggest this film.

Let's the blind man see.....

Author: DanaSpencer357 from United States
9 November 2005

A few years ago, an ex-girlfriend of mine suggested that I watch this movie. She claimed it as being one of her favorites. Seeing as how it had Durmot Muroney starring in it, I figured I would give it a chance. "King", was by far my favorite character in the movie. I was pulled into his character immediately, and the ride didn't stop until the end credits were over. This movie hit a very personal chord deep within me, and the lasting effects of watching this particular movie are still with me today. Although the entire cast did a fantastic job of acting out their parts, "King", was my favorite because at the time I watched this film, I was a lot like him; except the being homeless part. As far as Sean Astin and the part he played, I couldn't relate very much at all, but that didn't matter because his role was extremely powerful and believable! One more thing, if it wasn't for Melissa Etheridge and her incredible talent, I do not think this movie would have touched as many people as it did. Just a great movie, period.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]