Unlawful Entry (1992) Poster

An Excellent Performance by Ray Liotta
morgan-16117 August 2005
When I first watched this film, I could not help but marvel at how brilliant Ray Liotta was at his role. Even though Kurt Russell and Madeleine Stowe both gave very good performances, it is Ray Liotta that stands out the most. I found that the transition that Liotta made between playing a nice guy to an obsessed and jealous psycho was absolutely outstanding.I believe he deserved an award for his exceptional performance. Not many actors could pull off a performance like Liotta did. Overall I felt that this film was a well thought out thriller, and was well cast. It definitely deserves the credit it gets. I would thoroughly recommend this film to anyone who enjoys a good thriller.
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Intriguing and suspenseful, with a knockout performance by Ray Liotta
mattymatt4ever2 January 2003
"Unlawful Entry" kept me on the edge of my seat, or should I say the edge of my bed. Ray Liotta proved with this performance that few actors can play the apparently shy guy with evil tendencies better than him. The movie also presents some good "What if" questions. In the pivotal scene, Liotta grabs the burglar who ran into Kurt Russell's house and put a knife to his wife's throat. In an earlier scene, he explains how he'd beat the living crap out of that burglar if he had the chance. Well, one night Liotta gives Russell the permission (him being a cop) to "beat the living crap out of him" and Russell totally panics and refuses. Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself, "If Madeline Stowe were my wife and that moron put a knife to her throat, I would've taken that nightstick and beat him to death." But then again, I'm saying that while sitting comfortably on my bed, watching the movie. I'm not in his shoes. I'm sure many people would panic in that situation.

Though the movie kept my eyes glued to the screen, I could've done without certain plot conventions towards the end. I don't have to spoil it for you. You've seen thrillers in the past, you know what I'm talking about. And the writer could've trimmed the use of lines like "Get the f**k out of here," "Stay the f**k out of my house" and "Stay the f**k away from my wife" or "If you touch her, I'll kill you." I think those lines have popped up in every movie thriller I've seen. But the best reason to see this movie is Liotta's flawless performance. On those grounds alone, this movie is well worth seeing.

My score: 8 (out of 10)
28 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Thriller
Idocamstuf31 December 2002
What a great, suspenseful, and brilliantly acted film. I still have chills from watching it. Kurt Russell and Madeline Stowe are both excellent as a well off couple who are terrorized by an unstable cop(Ray Liotta, who also gives one of his best performances). The film gives us some great suspense, and you cannot help but feel bad for Kurt Russell when Ray Liotta starts stalking his wife. I have seen hundreds of thrillers and this is by far one of the best, along with "Cape Fear"(1991)and others. A must see if you like thrillers about obsessions. Overall this is a much underrated, always suspenseful, top notch thriller. 9 out of 10.
27 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'M NOT YOUR FRIEND; I'M NOTHING TO YOU
jonpd21 November 2002
I remember seeing this film in theaters in 1992 at the tender age of 12, and I can recall now how frightened I was. That just goes to show the professionalism involved in this first-rate thriller. When a cop is on your back, what are you gonna do? Call the cops? Hmmmm....Kurt Russell and Madeleine Stowe struggle to find that answer here. Ray Liotta has never been creepier. Kurt Russell shines yet again in a role balancing the everyman we can relate to and the hero we cheer for in the end. One of the best thrillers of the 1990s.
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best suspense films i've ever seen!
RUKIA229 July 2003
Kurt Russell and Madeline Stowe are Michael and Karen Carr a married couple terrorised by a psycho cop in this chillingly suspenseful thriller.One night their house is broken in to and the thief gets hold of Karen with a knife pulled on to her throat.Michael tries to stop him but the thief gets away.The couple call the police and there they meet Ray liotta who plays officer Pete Davis a respected cop who they befriend and welcome in to their house.Davis comes to their aid and shows his genuine concern and friendly nature.From Davis's advice the couple get an alarm system on their house but as events follow Davis's behaivior takes a turn for the worse.When one night Liotta takes Russell to the house of the thief who broke in to the couples house and Davis starts beating the guy up.Michael sees the whole thing and is so shocked with what he witnissed.Michael angrily tells Davis that his job is done of being a cop and protecting Michael and his wife. Davis begins to make Michael's life a misery so he can get close to his wife.Kurt Russell is believable as the husband who is faced with a difficult situation which he has to solve.Ray Liotta gives a brilliant performance as the bad corrupt cop doing whatever it takes to get closer to what he wants and making the character so chilling and very real.Unlawful Entry is a brilliant nailbiting suspense thriller Kurt Russell and Madeline Stowe are excellent as the couple this is One of the best films i've ever seen Excellent viewing.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A film that deserves recognition
Joe Spooner11 March 2001
I consider myself a big film buff, but before I'd seen it recently, I'd never even heard of Unlawful Entry. The story is pretty simple: a couple in love (Kurt Russell and Madeline Stowe) make friends with a cop (Ray Liotta) who turns out to be possessive and to make their lives a living hell (see also: The Cable Guy, which follows the same lines). But, with a simple story, this low-key film deserves recognition for being a clever and original thriller. Throughout the film, you feel all the emotions that Kurt Russell is feeling as his life is slowly taken away from him by the ever-menacing Ray Liotta. In brief, this is a fabulous film, which was under-appreciated and a missed hit.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Creepy in a real world way
refinedsugar17 February 2000
I've heard people who took in a viewing of this movie say it was slow. I didn't feel it was slow. There was scenes that didn't directly deal with the main plot, but I liked that because we get to know what kind of people these are and just not some vaguely sketched characters. It's here the movie works because it lines you up and scares you in real world fashion. The reality to the proceeding give it the urban horror feel and not something made up that we could never identify with or seeing happening in our real lives.

The cast carries this out efficiently while if I had any complaint about the movie it would be Kurt Russell in the smaller role as the husband. I really like Kurt Russell and unfortunately there isn't a lot for him to bite into as the real star of this movie is Ray Liotta. Who I feel bad for lately since he hasn't been able to escape this sort of psycho role, but there's no denying that he's good at it and he is largely what makes Unlawful Entry rank amongst the best of the urban psycho dramas. The story might be predictable in spots, but good performances and great atmosphere go a long way.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Formulaic, but fun enough and worthwhile viewing
The_Void15 October 2006
Unlawful Entry is by no means a great film; not even by genre standards, but it still stands out as a more than adequate example of the genre, and aptly portrays the basic thriller tradition. Next to thrillers from the same period; films like Basic Instinct, Unlawful Entry may seem a little tame, but as it puts the focus on its trio of central characters, the film becomes more interesting than it would have if experienced director Jonathan Kaplan had tried for more action and sex scenes. The film portrays the frightening idea of someone 'above the law' abusing their power for their own means, and does this through police officer Pete Davis. The action centres on married couple Michael and Karen Carr, who call the police one night after a thief breaks in and holds the wife to knife point. However, it turns out that they've actually made things worse for themselves as the officer sent to the house takes a liking to Karen, and thus makes it his business to infiltrate their relationship and try to take Michael's wife for himself...

It has to be said that the film doesn't offer much in the way of surprises, as the plot is purely formulaic and can be likened to any number of similar films, but somehow the familiarity of the plot gives it something of a relaxed feel, and while experienced movie watchers will feel that they've seen it all before, the film is carried off with enough panache to see it through. Unlawful Entry relies a lot on its actors, and the three at the centre of the story manage to deliver worthwhile performances. Kurt Russell gets toned down in his role as the unlucky husband, while Madeleine Stowe doesn't get to do any heavyweight acting, but at least looks nice. The pair doesn't really have any chemistry together, which is a shame and brings the piece down - but this is offset by a conniving Ray Liotta, who manages to get under the skin despite looking a bit like David Hasselhoff. The film is always interested, but never really intriguing; although the plot does work well and the ending is fitting in context. Overall, this is not great or a must see film; but its decent enough and I don't regret watching it.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Respectable Couple Terrorized By Deluded Psycho Cop
seymourblack-129 October 2010
"Unlawful Entry" is a thriller about a respectable suburban couple whose sense of security is shattered when their house is broken into by a burglar. The relief they feel when a seemingly friendly and caring LAPD officer takes a personal interest in their protection soon disappears, however, when he turns out to be far more unstable and threatening than was originally apparent.

Jonathan Kaplan's considered style of direction is effective in creating an unsettling atmosphere and also a considerable amount of tension. Imaginative camera angles are used and the pace of the action is perfectly suited to the nature of the story and the timing of the various plot developments.

Michael Carr (Kurt Russell) and his wife Karen (Madeleine Stowe) suffer a frightening ordeal when a burglar breaks into their home and holds a knife to Karen's throat. The burglar then throws Karen into the swimming pool and leaves swiftly without taking any of their possessions.

One of the LAPD officers who come to check out the crime scene is Pete Davis (Ray Liotta) who reassures the couple by arranging for a sophisticated security system to be installed with the minimum of delay. Michael tells Pete that he'd like to take his revenge on the burglar and Pete responds by inviting Michael to go on a "ride along" one night with him and his partner so that he can see the type of work that they do. After Pete's partner finishes his shift, Pete takes Michael to a location where they encounter the man who'd broken into Michael's home. Pete offers Michael his nightstick and the chance to take his revenge but Michael passes up the offer. Pete then beats up the burglar in a particularly brutal attack.

Michael becomes extremely concerned about Pete's behaviour and tries to take steps to see less of him in future. Unfortunately, Pete responds by becoming more and more obsessed with Karen and increasingly menacing towards Michael. This makes the couple's lives progressively more dangerous and intolerable until a point is reached where Michael decides that the only way to reach a satisfactory resolution is by dealing with the problem head on.

"Unlawful Entry" achieves a far greater impact than would normally be possible with this type of material because of the quality of the performances by Liotta, Russell and Stowe. Liotta is incredibly good as the scary stalker whose mental state is particularly brittle. Impressively, he's equally convincing when he's being manipulative and scheming as when he's being threatening and crazy. Ray Liotta is just a marvellous actor and this must be one of his best ever roles.

The success and the affluence which Michael had enjoyed in his life didn't prepare him for the overwhelming sense of powerlessness which he came to experience when his wife was being threatened and then later when he found there was nothing he could do to prevent Pete from seriously damaging his personal and business life. The way in which Kurt Russell conveys the desperation and frustration of a man who is trapped in a nightmare from which there seems to be no escape is both admirable and praiseworthy. Madeleine Stowe also gives an accomplished performance as the vulnerable and anxious Karen whose academic abilities serve her well professionally but who also proves to be rather naive and not very perceptive in her personal life.

This movie is a great example of how the combination of a straightforward story which people can relate to and proficient acting and directing can produce a great box office success.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ray Liotta at his chilling best
Leofwine_draca4 September 2011
A sterling entry in the psycho-thriller genre, mainly thanks to Ray Liotta's performance as the manic cop. Rarely has Liotta been this good: he literally simmers with pent-up rage whenever you see him on-screen, delivering one of the best turns of his career as the frightening cop from hell. Sure, Liotta could be good elsewhere – who can forget his career-changing turn in Scorsese's GOODFELLAS? – but he'll be forever remembered for the kind of sweaty, crazy-eyed role he effortlessly portrays here.

Liotta's given solid support from Kurt Russell and Madeleine Stowe as the unwitting couple who find themselves caught up in a nightmare. This is the archetypal 'slow burner' of a plot, with everyday events and subtle hints and clues gradually building from an impressive climax, which makes use of plenty of clichés but nevertheless ticks all the right boxes. UNLAWFUL ENTRY is one of those thrillers that doesn't disappoint, and unlike PACIFIC HEIGHTS it isn't spoilt with dated attempts at style. Thumbs up.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worth a Watch
niamh-942 August 2011
I saw this film by chance when it was on TV late one night I couldn't sleep. The film centres around a couple who have their home broken into and the policeman who responds to the scene and how he becomes obsessed with their lives.

In all honesty, I didn't have high hopes for it, but in actual fact, it was hugely entertaining. It was never going to be an Oscar winner, but it was clever, original and the acting was good too. The film has a nice pace to it and the story flows reasonably well in that the film is neither too long nor too short. I perhaps wouldn't call it a classic but it is certainly a good film, and a little known and under-appreciated one at that. Kurt Russel, as usual does a good turn and the best part of the film is that you truly connect with how Russel's character feels. It's the sort of film that'll have you on edge and almost screaming at the TV. Watch and enjoy!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One Obsessed Cop
bkoganbing5 August 2009
Unlawful Entry casts Kurt Russell and Madeline Stowe as a typical Los Angeles Yuppie couple who get a very big jolt in their lives when a junkie breaks in looking for what to rob and messes with both Kurt and Madeline physically and emotionally.

But the cure is far worse than the disease when Officers Ray Liotta and Roger E. Mosley respond to the scene. Liotta gradually insinuates himself in their lives because he thinks that Stowe is sending up signals that she wants him. This of course sets up the conflict between Liotta and Russell for the rest of the film. With Liotta having a badge and gun, he's at a decided advantage to say the least.

The film does belong to Liotta who seems like a normal middle class guy who went into law enforcement at first. It's a subtle piece of acting on Liotta's part as we see his true nature gradually revealed. The man does have issues which are revealed in his encounter with working girl Rosa Salazar and later as he commits some Unlawful Entry and watches Russell and Stowe getting it on. Of course since he's a cop it can't be Unlawful Entry.

Ken Lerner has a nice part in this film as Russell's lawyer, the kind you make jokes about, but also the kind it's good to have on your side when you're in trouble.

Unlawful Entry is a good, if a tad unrealistic film. One thing I will say though at the end it's absolutely anyone's guess as to what will happen with the survivors.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A dime a dozen. (spoilers)
Pepper Anne29 December 2004
These kind of movies where a psycho of one variety or another tries to damage the reputation (and eventually eliminate altogether) some naive person in order to take over their life. Fatal Attraction, Pacific Heights, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, Single White Female, and a thousand made-for-TV movies are some examples of this. But while a few, especially Fatal Attraction and Pacific Heights could offer at least some extremely paranoid, suspenseful characters or a few plot twists, Unlawful Entry plays everything by the book. And were it not for the notoriety of its stars (Kurt Russel, Ray Liota, and Madeline Stowe), this movie would sink to mediocrity faster than a Danielle Steele miniseries.

Russel plays Michael Carr, an incessantly naive guy who calls on the help of a pair of officers when someone breaks into his house and tries to attack his wife (Madeline Stowe). Unfortunately, he quietly vents his anger about feeling so helpless in the situation to the wrong cop (Ray Liotta), a typically psychopathic villain with no limits for his power. At first empathizing with Carr (probably only pretending to do so), the cop befriends the couple. But soon enough, the cops wants Carr out of the way so, destroying the guys life nearly any way he can (which is pretty easy when you're a cop, and when you're the cop who has installed the guy's security system in his house) in order to take over and presumably, get his wife. It seems less ends-oriented, and more like the cop just wants to prove his power. The wife is more like a trophy, in other words, than an end. And the story plays out entirely by the book, you can probably predict every occurrence before it happens on the screen if you've seen enough of these movies. From the "shocking" moment our main, naive character realizes he is a victim of credit card fraud (perpetrated by the psychopathic villain) to the turn-around-he's-not-really-dead finale.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent creepy suspense thriller
NateWatchesCoolMovies8 August 2015
Unlawful Entry is a tense, uncomfortable home invasion thriller where the intruder is the one person who should protect you from that sort of thing: a police officer. It's a perfect concept for a thriller and here its executed to spine tingling effect, through great performances and an intimately hair raising atmosphere. Kurt Russell and Madeleine Stowe play a well to do yuppie couple whose house is broken into by a petty thief one night. The officer who answers their call the next day (Ray Liotta) is friendly, helpful and goes out of his way to ensure that a security system is installed and that they feel safe. His kindness takes a creepy turn though, when he sets his sights on beautiful Stowe, Russell's wife. He gets scarier and scarier, eventually becoming totally unhinged and zoning right in on her with volatile lust and unhealthy sociopathic obsession that tears all three lives apart. Liotta is scary good, and his eerie transformation from likable upstanding guy to violent stalker madman is something from a nightmare. Some scenes are downright nasty to keep your eyes on, and you really feel sick watching Stowe get exposed to this cruelty. She's darkly radiant as always though, and Russell shows fear and fury in an awesome role that isn't an easy one to play. Domestic thrillers are a dime a dozen, and often can descend into seedy melodrama, but this one takes the high road and uses genuine skill and well orchestrated tension to glue us in our seats.
Psychotic Cop Character
chisutamakoye28 June 2013
I have seen cunning psychotic characters in a great number of movies. But the cop character Ray Liotta plays in Unlawful Entry is unforgettable. He really hit the nail on the head! Sometimes I feel that people that create such characters must have dealt with real life individuals with very similar psychotic tendencies. I mean how do you explain the behavior of that cop in Unlawful Entry?? The man was simply bad news and he believed in what he was doing. He meant business.

It would be nice to see Kurt Russell, Madeline Stowe and Ray Liotta team up again in similar roles but with a different plot.Great acting indeed from the cast members.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good old fashioned thriller.
Boba_Fett113821 July 2012
Thing I like about this movie is that it isn't overdoing anything, or feels the need to spice things up with gunfights or explosions. It rather relies on its story, characters and underlying tension, like every good thriller should do, in my opinion.

No, this movie doesn't has the most likely story in it and some of the developments aren't all that convincing but the movie is simply being good and enjoyable for what it is. As a thriller it does serve its purpose well and probably won't disappoint anybody that is looking for a good thriller.

In its simplicity and setup, this is being a quite effective thriller, in which a cop starts terrorizing a family, when he falls for the wife. Things are slowly starting to get worse and more troublesome for the family. The way the entire movie gets buildup ensures that the tension of the movie works out effectively. It's basically being one of those stalker movies, a lot got made of, during the '80's and '90's. This happens to be one of the lesser known ones but it most certainly is not among the worst ones as well. You could even say that this is being a bit of an underrated and under-appreciated movie.

This movie also made me realize what a shame and waste it was that Ray Liotta's career never truly reached great heights. There was a period, around the time of this movie, that he truly was an A-list actor but he never really managed to maintain this status and there are too few classics, starring him, to consider his career to be a truly successful one. There was far more in it really. It's not like he has stopped acting but it's hard to imaging his career is still going to take off now. He was an absolutely great and charismatic presence and villain in this movie and almost completely stole the show away from other fine actors such as Kurt Russell and Madeleine Stowe.

This really is being a good, straightforward, old fashioned thriller, that is definitely worth a watch.

2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Liotta is excellent in this best of the bunch Thriller
amesmonde19 May 2011
A couple are befriended by a police officer who answers their burglary call, but his attentions increase to a point of obsession and he beings to make their lives uncomfortably difficult pushing them both to breaking point.

Released the same year as spate of 1992 thrillers including Single White Female, Basic Instinct, Traces of Red, Consenting Adults and Final Analysis name a few Unlawful Entry is a tighter than the aforementioned. It's easy to knock a film in retrospect, as it's been done so many times since but at the time while not totally original it encompassed the best of the genre. Jonathan Kaplan delivers a very entertaining obsession flick and while borrowing elements from Pacific Heights (1990),Cape Fear (1991) & (1962) Lewis Colick's screenplay plays out interesting character developments and arcs especially as Kurt Russell's Michael Carr unravels and Ray Liotta's Pete Davis unveils.

Liotta is perfect as Davis an unbalanced police officer and Russell hams it up, debatably a little too much, as the aggravated husband. There's an overlooked supporting cast, including Ken Lerner and Madeleine Stowe in her heyday. James Horner's score is strong and of its time and it all adds up to an engaging thriller that would later be emulated in Lakeview Terrace (2008) and The Fan (1996).

Worth viewing if only for the underrated Liotta in one of his better roles.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Creepy Eyes stalks Sexy Eyes and Doe Eyes.
dunmore_ego27 January 2010
Even when Ray Liotta plays a good guy, he's still kinda creepy.

In UNLAWFUL ENTRY, Liotta is unbalanced cop, Officer Pete Davis, who terrorizes a break-in victim, Michael Carr (Kurt Russell), for a piece of Michael's wife, Karen (Madeline Stowe, who is just asking for it by being Madeline Stowe).

So he's creepier than ever, with that overly-sincere delivery and those x-ray eyes. (Yet every time he calls Madeline Stowe, "Karen," I flash back to Lorraine Bracco in GOODFELLAS.) Officer Pete keeps inserting himself into Michael and Karen's life, first as a friend helping them install a better security system, then turning up like a rash, i.e. whenever Michael is trying to close a deal (business-wise and panty-wise).

By the time Pete has falsely jailed Michael and is insanely cooking dinner for Karen as if he is her husband, it is obvious he has turned into creepy Ray Liotta, so Kurt Russell must turn into Snake Plissken to off him.

--Review by Poffy The Cucumber (for Poffy's Movie Mania).
sick...i loved it.
mdefranc11 August 2004
A gifted Liotta surprised me once again in the sinister role of schizo-cop he carries out. I must say that his demeanor, his voice, his insanity are the backbone of the whole movie. With that said, I feel comfortable enough stating that Kurt Russel and Madeleine Stowe struck me only as ancillary characters, in other words they were only the frame and not the picture.

Unlike the young mafioso he played in Good Fellas, where his conscience gets in the way all the time, Liotta shows a rather dark and unstable himself in Unlawful Entry, willing to go any distance to "win" Russell's wife. Although some may say that a better photography job could have been done, the director concentrated himself on the main subject (Liotta), his face, his voice, his movements, his (I dare to say) needy behavior.

A rather similar ending to Internal Affair, 1990, starring Richard Gere and Andy Garcia, where the bad cop dies at the end, although Gere's interest was not the attractive colleague's wife. Another intriguing and sickening L.A. story..sick city of angels.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Suspenseful thriller with a knockout cast of Kurt Russell, Ray Liotta and Madeleine Stowe.
macnjnc13 June 2000
Unlawful Entry along with Breakdown is another Kurt Russell film which is excellent yet doesn't receive the highly acclaimed fanfare. Actually this movie has two main stars (Russell and Ray Liotta) who are pitted against each other, resulting in a very interesting and intense emotional roller coaster.

What makes this movie great is that it has 2 actors who are very good at portraying emotional characters. Russell and Liotta are rivaled by none in depicting characters of struggle, grit,intensity and emotion. The films script and directing by it's producer Jonathan Kaplan is perfect.

Without a doubt there is something about Liotta's eyes, when he speaks, they have emotion written all over them. After watching this movie you feel that even though Liotta's character of Officer Pete Davis was initially a functioning member of society, without a doubt this guy has some serious issues and probably isn't working with a full deck. The scene where he has sex in his police cruiser with the female he earlier stopped for a ticket is almost astonishing and very eerie. This is an indication of this films mood and tone.

Russell meanwhile excellently plays his role as a husband who is struggling dealing with a policeman who; going with his instincts, is a little "off". Madeleine Stowe comes off perfect as his sexy and sultry wife who innocently is unsuspecting in realizing officer Davis's true intentions.

Without a doubt Unlawful Entry is about Michael Carr(Russell)VS Pete Davis. They square off in various ways culminating with a memorable physical confrontation at the end. One scene of note is when Officer Davis responds to the Carrs home on a hoaxed security system call. Officer Davis walks into the couples bedroom holding a flashlight during a lovemaking session and Russell fires off to him "Get the bleep outta my house!!". Later he warns his wife that "this guy is sick and he's after you". Incredibly at the onset Madeleine (Mrs Carr) doesn't believe so.

If you like a fast moving suspenseful thriller then Unlawful Entry has a lot in store for you. Director Jonathan Kaplan treated me to a classic with this score. One of Kurt Russell and Ray Liotta's best films, and neither one are shabby actors. In fact both are 2 of my favorites because they have a way of bringing to life the characters they play. Check this film out.
Well Done Film
David Kirkpatrick22 October 2006
LIKED: I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It was believable. Kurt Russell plays a good "everyday regular Joe" character. Madeline Stowe is so beautiful it is easy to see how someone could become infatuated with her. Ray Liotta plays a functional loner cop perfectly. Also, hats-off to Roger E. Mosley who plays the no-nonsense LAPD partner; Ken Lerner plays a good friend/lawyer to Kurt's character; The guy who plays financier (he pulls up in the Rolls Royce) he's good. Soundtrack very mysterious.

DIS-LIKES:

a) When the cops raid Kurt's house for drugs, the way they break everything: not believable, you can't go into someone's home and start breaking glass and vases looking for stuff.

b) The car chase before Ray shoots his partner and the drug dealer. Driving through fences speeding through alleys. Could have been thought out better.

c) The ending was a little crazy. Not believable. I would have given the film 10/10 if not for the above items.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bad Copper, Not Good Copper
Chrysanthepop3 May 2008
'Unlawful Entry' is a typical average thriller from the early 90s. There's the suspense element in the beginning and over-the-top ending where there's lots of running around and breaking things, the killer dies, gets alive for a second just to be brutally killed again. I thought it started well, particularly the opening sequence with the skillful cinematography that adds to the tension and this is followed by the introduction of Liotta's character who seems the friendly cop until things gradually unfold. It is Liotta that made 'Unlawful' entry worth the watch. The actor does a great job (except in the ending when everything is blown out of proportion but that's the director's fault) as he slowly unveils the darker shades of his character. Kurt Russel and Madeleine Stowe are okay. Stowe looks quite pretty. anyway, this is another typical thriller and with the exception of Liotta's performance, there's nothing much to look forward to.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One Of The Better Films From The Sub-Genre
Theo Robertson2 May 2008
It's interesting to note how forgotten the sub-genre of " People from hell " films are today . In the early 1990s every major studio would bring out a nanny from hell , a lodger from hell , a fan from hell , a client from hell etc etc . Perhaps the reason they're forgotten is down to the fact that the movies weren't very good and suffered from being formulaic ?

Certainly UNLAWFUL ENTRY is one of the more entertaining movies in its field and it's probably down to the cast . Kurt Russell who unfortunately seems to have disappeared from successful films over the last few years was always good at playing good guy everyman and here plays architect Michael Carr . Madeleine Stowe is someone else who seems to have disappeared from the radar recently plays his wife Karen and they both make a likable and believable on screen couple with Karen being the object of lust of sociopathic cop Pete Davis played by Ray Liotta . Okay I doubt if any of the cast were expecting Oscar nominations but the on screen chemistry makes UNLAWFUL ENTRY a very watchable film

There are some problems . Liotta is good enough when Davis is just an ordinary cop but when he acts all mean , nasty and obsessive he does tend to go over the top and unlike his two co-stars you can't really scratch your head wondering why Liotta now appears in obscure straight to video/DVD movies . Likewise the screenplay does became more and more unbelievable in the second half but that's always the problem with these type of movies . Not to be too negative it's still a watchable piece of entertainment
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ray Liotta at his creepiest!!
midniteprincess9 July 2001
this movie was Excellent !! all the characters in the movie did a great job, especially Ray Liotta.. what a total creep he was.. and his character got what he deserved at the end of the movie ...

you never knew what to expect next.. it was so scary how Ray's character made his way into Kurt and Madelines' characters lives.. and how they both came to trust Ray's character..and they pay dearly for it.

I highly recommend this movie.. its worth an 11 its that good..
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this