IMDb > That Night (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
That Night

That Night More at IMDbPro »

"She can't help it- she's coming of age."

Author: great_sphinx_42 from The Poppy Field, OZ 69666
5 March 2001

Suffering from insomnia and looking for something to watch in the dead hours of the night, I stopped when the satellite guide told me 'That Night' would be on. I wanted to see it because I like Juliette Lewis but had never got around to renting this movie. I got the strongest sense of deja vu when young 'Alice' showed up on screen for the first time and that clinched it, so I settled in to watch. Set in 1961, this is a better than average execution of an entirely cliched plot. Well-off, popular good girl (Sheryl) meets and falls in love with a sensitive bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks (Rick), everyone else disapproves, she gets pregnant, etc. The couple's only ally is Alice, a young girl who lives across the street from Sheryl. She is a lonely soul- tormented by her "friends", ignored by her father, talked down to by her mother, and obssessed with the idea of a love that will transcend her own, rather unhappy existence. She escapes through Sheryl, whom she idealizes- and who she ultimately is able to help in very important ways. This movie wouldn't really work if not for a nice period feel, very likable, sympathetic main characters and strong performances from the actors playing them. Juliette is as compelling as ever and young Eliza Dushku (who was giving me deja vu, I realized when I saw her name in the credits, because I had seen 'Bring It On' only two days before!) is terrific in her very first role as story-teller Alice. 'That Night' is by no means a great movie, but it is a good one, and well worth seeing.

A Wonderful Movie

Author: livingdeadgirl_13 from vancouver
27 December 2002

That Night is a wonderful movie about growing up and discovering yourself. Alice( Eliza Dushku), idolizes her neighbour Sheryl (Julliete Lewis). Alice spends all of her time spying on Sheryl and imagining what it would be like to be her. Due to a incident, Alice and Sheryl become friends and now Alice will do anything to try and help Sheryl and her boyfriend Rick stay together. This is a great movie and everytime I watch it, it puts me in a good mood. It also has a great soundtrack. I would give That Night 9/10

"I'm just a girl who lived across the street from you...and I don't now!"

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
13 June 2001

Extremely sensitive and touching film about childhood, and a youngster's need to be "saved" from her own age of innocence. Juliette Lewis is fantastic as vampy young woman in 1960s suburbia whose affair with a greasy-haired rebel becomes the focal point for a little girl who lives across the street. The film's dreamy/quirky tone is reminiscent of "Men Don't Leave", and its depiction of a big-hearted kid trying to connect with a world much larger than she is both nostalgic and sympathetic. Filled with small but wonderful little touches, thoughtful nuances and a quiet, sweet ending. Well worth-seeing. This may be the best performance yet from Juliette Lewis--she's flawless. *** from ****

Hey now.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
6 February 2002

In her screen debut, a pre-vamp Dushku plays Alice, an 11ish girl who makes friends with an older girl on the other side of both puberty and the street of her Long Island neighborhood. "That Night" is a sweet little slice-of-life flick which tells of the lessons about growing up which Alice learns through her friendship with neighbor Sheryl (Lewis) and her boyfriend (Howell). A journeyman flick but a slow starter worth the wait, "That Night" is a charmer with a 50's flavor, some solid performances, an okay screenplay, and will be most enjoyed by teens and more mature adults.

A Must See Movie- simply brilliant

Author: David Roberts (dave@robertsd55.freeserve.co.uk) from uk
5 May 1999

There are hundreds if not thousands of these sorts of films, i.e. coming of age sort of things, yet this one was truly brilliant. I've seen hundreds of movies, and i do not pretend to be a good movie critic, however i like very few films, and i especially hate films where the main characters are in love, but her parents don't like him... You know the sort, yet this film is just brilliant. I can't really describe why, it just is, i loved it,i hope you do to, there isn't anything really special about it, Juliette Lewis is of course really good, and so is the little girl Alice. Basically- an excellent movie- a must see

You'll like Alice and Sheryl, and Eliza and Juliette

Author: gk (gkearns@prodigy.net) from St. Louis, Missouri
21 July 2001

"That Night" received mixed reviews from pro critics, and mostly positive reviews from real people - for generally the same reasons. What the reviewers see as pedestrian, cliche filled, and overly sentimental are exactly the things most people love in a movie. In our again and again 1440 minutes a day, most of us live mostly routine, pedestrian, cliched lives ("What's new?" "Nothing much. You?") - or it's that people don't like to face in their entertainment the same problems they live every day; sentimental is the impossible dream escape they wish for themselves. Both groups seem to draw their opinions from quick immediate reactions to one-time viewings. I've found it sometimes takes a second or third viewing to see some of the more complex aspects of a movie. With that in mind, I revisited "That Night" last night (Sorry about that).

SPOILERS AHEAD "That Night" takes place in the early sixties. It's built on two separate story lines. One involves the character Sheryl O'Conner, played with her usual stunning intensity by Juliette Lewis. Sheryl is a seventeen year old, sophisticated, worldly wise, sexy, vamp - a Catholic girl who tests her cultural restrictions to the limit, having a propensity for dangerous guys. She pushes to the limits of the restrictions, but is mostly ruled by them. Her strong father is doting, permissive, and demonstrative in his love for her. Across the street lives eleven year old Alice Bloom, played by Eliza Dushku. Sheryl is everything Alice is not. Alice is naive, and the butt of her peers' pranks, which take advantage of her naivete. Her father is also a strong personality, but cold and rigid in his relationships with his wife and daughter, and insensitive almost to the point of cruelty to Alice. Alice is on her own emotionally. As the story develops between Sheryl and her, it's ironically the naive Alice who has the stronger character - perhaps because of her having to make it on her own emotionally. She is the one who can work through problems (not always wisely, but with consistent fortitude); she is the one who's willing to "take the bull by the horns," so to speak; and she is the one with the courage of her convictions. Sheryl, perhaps by reason of her loving and permissive upbringing, is the one who folds under pressure.

MORE SPOILERS But Alice only sees Sheryl as her ideal, as being everything she wants to be. She spies on Sheryl; she imitates Sheryl's choices in music and perfume. She all but stalks the older girl. The two are brought together when Sheryl finds Alice sick and hurt from the cruel treatment she received at the hands of her friends. In turn, Alice helps Sheryl in planning the trysts with her roustabout boyfriend, and joins her in those trysts as part of the plots she designed. A warm bond grows out of the relationship between Alice, Sheryl, and Sheryl's boyfriend Rick (C. Thomas Howell).

AND MORE SPOILERS Sheryl becomes pregnant, and is exiled to an unwed mothers maternity home (the typical practice of the day). Harsh confrontations arise between Alice and her father, and she defiantly runs away, setting herself to the task of bringing Rick and Cheryl back together as she KNOWS they should be.

SMALL SPOILER Sure, the story is corny, pedestrian, and cliched. And the images are nothing special (the under-the-boardwalk gaudiness here doesn't come close to the softer under-the-boardwalk sequence in "Heaven Help Us." Except for the one scene where Rick dances with Alice on the beach; that's a memorable one. But viewed from the perspective of it's complex evolving human relationships, this is a memorable movie.

Best girl's past movie

Author: Yuko Kubota from Yokohama, Japan
27 December 1998

If you are a little girl, a wandering girl, or a nearly giving up woman, watch this movie. It will give you hope. I can't recall any movies about girls suffering their childhood sentimentalism and then growing up after a heart aching adventure. But we all know that these things are not only for boys. Howell is unresistable as he dances with 12 year old Eliza (if you have ever been a girl, you know this feeling even though you hadn't danced, right?!). There is a scene when a bunch of mothers are watching the annoying teenage couple, and they all knew they were once there. Lisa Fischer's vocal is exquisite! She is much much dramatic than she is with The Rolling Stones.

For the romantic and adventurer in you

Author: grabagerdee_01 from United States
5 March 2007

I really enjoy this movie two of my favorite actors are in this movie and a very young not yet known Eliza Dushku makes her debut in this movie. I have to say I was very impress with her acting in this film. As always C. Thomas Howell to me gives a great performance and no matter what movie she plays in I watch. Juliette Lewis is one of the most underrated actress I think to date. She always make it seems like the script was written for her. As always I am never disappointed in her performance. To whom of those whom read the book One Summer Night I think you would fine the screen version to your liking. If you are into oldies but goodies then this movie is for you it takes you back to your teenage rebel years in the 50s' and if you weren't born in the 50s' it make you wish you were coming up in that era.

A Good Film, A Great Book

Author: A3 (atheistic3@thetruth.com) from Ft Lauderdale, Florida from Long Island, NY
14 April 2002

That night is, without a doubt, a classic coming-of-age film, as well as a classic 50s story of romance, forbidden love, and (long island) suburban blissful ignorance. But the book is better. Alice McDermott's masterpiece (in her own right) is even more an unforgettable tale than this. For all those who claim that this is their favorite film, or even a great film: I beg you to read the book that spawned it.

Love this movie!!

Author: lilly2099 from Savannah, Ga
12 May 2005

I love this movie so much. Its in my top three of my favorite movies of all time. I remember the first time I saw it. I was fumbling around late at night trying to find something to watch. Then there it was. A cute little movie of a young girl discovering things about the world. I was like..hmmm well maybe. So I watched it. Fell in love! Not only was it one of the best love stories I had seen in awhile, but its was made in a fashion that was real. A bit taboo for the time its set in.. but thats what makes it really great. If you have never seen this movie.. I definitely suggest you buy it.. rent it.. borrow it from someone.. Whatever. Just see it. Its so cute. And the music isn't bad either.. Its a great movie and I had a great time watching it. Thanks.. Lilly