Dennehy Good Choice For Lead Role

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
7 June 2007

If any actor looks the role - a tough, Jimmy Hoffa-like union boss - it has to be Brian Dennehy, so the filmmakers certainly cast the right guy for the part. Dennehy also has a history playing mean, foul-mouthed villains. Thus, playing the son of the head of a corrupt union family, is right up his alley. Here, he rises to the power via corruption.

Unfortunately the character he plays, "Jackie Presser," is so unlikeable that he makes the movie unpleasant to watch. He chains smokes, too, which doesn't help and he looks, acts and sounds like a profane slob. Two supporting actors in here also can also portray similar slime-balls: Robert Prosky and Eli Wallach.

I'm sorry but I didn't find this made-for HBO film fun to watch. It was nice to see, however, that it was filmed 90 miles away from me up in Toronto, Ontario.

Not bad for a HBO made for TV movie

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
10 October 2002

This film is an entertaining watch, not bad for a HBO movie. Denny's performance is good as usual; has a made in Canada feel, my guess probably Toronto. Toronto seem to substitute for many American cities. The film has a gutsy, realistic feel to it, and is made honestly. It you like reading books on these issues, you will like this film. Not a great film but I would watch it again. 6/10

Biography of Teamster Boss Jackie Presser

Author: edshullivan from Toronto
19 October 2013

I rated this made for TV movie 8 out of 10 based on the solid acting by a good cast who gave it their all for a relatively small budget compared to some major motion pictures which still bombed after spending considerably larger sums on the production. It must have been extremely difficult to encapsulate Jackie Presser's 30 years involvement with the Teamster Union in to a 90 minute made for TV movie. If you enjoy teamster/mobster biographies, and retro clothes styles of the 1970's era this movie is sure to satisfy your memories.

Jackie Presser was played by the great character actor Brian Dennehy whose body mass is similar to the real Jackie Presser. The good supporting cast included Eli Wallach who played Jackie Presser's father, Jeff Daniels who played FBI agent Noonan assigned to infiltrate the teamsters union and break up the mafia's stronghold on the Teamsters union cash box. Noonan got to Presser and advised Presser that he better assist by wearing a wire if he wanted to avoid jail time for his wrong doings. In exchange for assisting the FBI in gathering more evidence against the mafia, the FBI would turn a blind eye to some pf Presser's continued abuse and illegal activities.

We do get insight in to the extent of extravagance that Jackie Presser availed upon himself and his mistresses. I always enjoy any movie that Mr Dennehy plays a lead role in because he is so versatile. Brian Dennehy has had an illustrious career both on the big screen, but if you really want to see his acting chops, try and catch a glimpse of him on the stage. He regularly appears on the small stage at the Stratford Ontario festival in numerous roles and he is such a pleasure to watch.

Teamster boss based on my review was an accurate portrayal of a greedy union leader who fell prey like so many others first to the criminal underworld, and then in an effort to save his own skin, turned informant with the FBI. If he had not died from a combination of his years of being overweight (nearly 300 pounds), his smoking, a brain tumor, and a heart attack, I am sure he would have died at the hands of some of the criminal element he turned his back on.