IMDb > Stepfather III (1992) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stepfather III

Stepfather III (TV) More at IMDbPro »

New face, New wife, New stepchild=Same old problem.

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
6 November 2000

I get a kick out of these Stepfather movies. One minute the wife is this `Oh I'm so in love with you Henry/Jerry/Bill/Keith etc'. Then the next minute after he snaps she's calling him a seven letter word beginning with a B meaning an illegitimate child. This installment doesn't have Terry O'Quinn and it's not the same without him. The I just wanna be a family man gets a super duper facial make over from an underground plastic surgeon then finds another single mom with child and we're off and running. Not as good as the first two. Robert Wightman just didn't seem to be able to project that Psycho demeanor that Terry O'Quinn was so good at. As many times that the Stepfather had been stabbed, shot, hit over the head etc. you'd think that he would have wised up and said `This time I'm gonna get a girl who doesn't already have a child and try it that way for a change.'

The final hurrah...

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
30 July 2006

Revenge of the sequels! "The Stepfather III" is one of the most un necessary sequels on Slasher cinema history. Different villain, but same old clichès. I liked this movie for the wrong reasons. I mean, when you rent/buy this movie you want to have cheap entertainment, or watch some gore. I watched it because it features Prsicila Barnes, and because it's a sequel to a guilty pleasure: The Stepfather.

This movie has the basic plot as the previous movies. But this time our beloved villain meets his match in a physically disabled boy who is smarter than everyone thinks. His hot mom falls in love and eventually marries our villain and you know the rest... Expect some decent death scenes and good acting. This is a perfect example of a regular Slasher flick with drama tones made for T.V. The ending is actually pretty good and it assures that the stepfather won't return.

The highlight of the movie is Priscila Barnes in a steamy sex scene where she wears sexy lingerie. That's it.

This time the Stepfather with a perfect plastic surgery in the face returns with a horrible attitude. The kid gets really annoying at some point but delivers a good role.

You could either watch the movie for Mrs. Barnes or if you love low budget Slashers. I watched it for both reasons.

Fails as a sequel to the solid original, but on it's own it's a bad movie lover's dream

Author: sgtking from United States
21 March 2010

Will Hollywood ever learn? They just churn out sequel after sequel, even to films that don't need them. Too be fair some turn out to be winners, but then some are purely and simply junk. 'Stepfather II' doesn't hold a candle to the first film, which was fine on it's own, but that didn't stop them from taking the series any further. Made for TV, part III is another unnecessary sequel that is ultimately a cheap reproduction of the first film, but at the same time it's so deliciously bad that it's kind of fun to watch.

Pros: Cast does it's best with the tired material. Great score, better than you'd expect from a movie of this caliber. Fast paced. Some good and really bloody kills. A couple good ideas here that keep this from being a total rehash. If you're like me and you enjoy a good cheesy slasher movie then you should get some pleasure out of this one because it's pretty silly and unintentionally humorous at times. Beautiful location. An ending you won't soon forget.

Cons: Clocking in at 107 minutes, this movie goes on too long. Some clumsy plotting and silly dialogue. No suspense. Totally predictable. Recycles the formula of the first two without changing much. Robert Wightman is no substitute for Terry O'Quinn.

Final thoughts: Looks like the makers of this film didn't learn from the mistakes of the last one. Like II this is more of a slasher film than a thriller like the original. But if you watch it without comparing it to the first you may have some fun with this ridiculous, but entertaining ride.

My rating: 3/5

Much better than expected

Author: PeterBradford from Hollywood, CA
6 June 2005

I recall starting to watch this on cable when it made its debut back in 1992. My first impression was that it looked cheap, and I didn't finish watching it. Now, in 2005, I finally got to see it from beginning to end. It is surprisingly good for a made-for-cable movie, and it stands up to Stepfather II, at the very least. Terry O'Quinn does not return to his role in this one, he is replaced by Robert Wightman. The change in appearance is explained (and shown) by plastic surgery. In fact, the whole plot seems to revolve around it. The plastic surgery sequence is particularly unsettling, as the stepfather undergoes the procedure without any anesthesia, and by a 'back-alley' plastic surgeon. Unfortunately, Robert Wightman is the weakest part of the production. His acting, when he is suppose to be normal, is just awful. He only shines in his moments when he loses his cool (that is probably how he got the part, auditioning as the 'crazy' stepfather). Priscilla Barnes carries the whole movie. She is very good, and it's a serious, dramatic role for her. Season Hubley is also very good in a strong supporting role. Worth checking out, it makes a good 'guilty pleasure.'

Hopeless sequel

Author: gpignol from Switzerland
8 July 2005

This last ''stepfather'' sucks ! The first movie was OK, second not bad, but this last movie designed for the cable simply sucks ! The acting is so bad, the plot (what plot ?) is poor and maybe less inventive than a '' Bold and the Beautiful'' episode.

Robert Wightman (as the stepfather) is the worst actor on earth. Terry O'Quinn, who performed the stepfather in the two previous movies, was frightening. Wightman is funny and idiot by moments, especially in the final scene.

Sincerely, avoid this movie, don't even waste a buck for it. As for me, I was stupid to buy '' Stepfather 3'' in a bargain shop for $ 1. Because it's too much for such a crap ...

Am I the only one that thinks that this one is better than part 2?

Author: Prolox from Canada
23 March 2005

The Stepfather is back to cause more havoc, after escaping from the loony bin (Might I suggest stronger locks?) having his face surgically altered by an unlicensed surgeon, The Stepfather kills him in order to cover his secret & heads into a small town where he gets a job at a nursery (The plant kind) & marries a pretty divorcée who has a wheelchair bound son. All should be perfect, but it's not, when the kid starts to snoop into his new Stepfather's past (now the maniac uses the name Keith Wiley) his wife he soon discovers cannot have kids, they are constantly arguing about something & even his stepson would rather spend time with is real dad & despite his many attempts to bond with his new stepson the kid just can't warm up to him, nor can the kid walk, despite his doctors saying he really should be able to by now. But that's just the problem, whenever a family the Stepfather marries into fails to live up to his ideals of a "Perfect Family" they come under the criteria of where "the Axe will fall" & in the Stepfather's eyes the term "the Axe will fall" takes on a whole new, literal meaning! But as luck would have it, a new family arrives, a widowed woman & her son, both of whom take an instant liking to him! The wife listens to him more, the son can walk & really wants to spend time with him. Making his move before somebody else does, he decides to move into their life & slowly work his way into disposing of his other "unperfect" family, but soon the two ladies that he's in love with meet & become friends, which may throw a huge monkey wrench in his future plans & whats worse, others are discovering his new relationship with another woman outside of his "other family" that he (by now regretfully) has married into, so the Stepfather resorts to bumping them off anyone who knows his secrets & who could stand in the way of his "Perfect Family". Although it lacks Terry O' Quinn's brilliant performance of the ultimate "Stepfather from hell" In my opinion STEPFATHER 3 was a better sequel to the original than part 2, at least this one played it straight without adding any of the humour that seemed out of place in the last one & although I still think TERRY O' QUINN did a better job as the Stepfather, ROBERT WRIGHTMAN still turned in a fine performance & filled O' Quinn's shoes quiet nicely. The only problem I had with this one, was the Stepfathers whiny, wheelchair bound step son, the kid got under my skin! but besides that, there's a bit more suspense this time around & the kills were pretty gruesome & inventive & I really had fun watching the Stepfather go from family to family, trying to avoid being caught by other friends & family of the families he's seeing etc. Many also have bulked that the Stepfather would never have married into a family where one of the children was crippled because it would spoil the dream of the "Perfect Family" but I disagree, in the one scene, his soon to be wife tells him that the doctors say her boy should be able to walk & later on you can see the Stepfather trying to help the lad walk. If anything STEPFATHER 3 parallels the original film more closely than what II did, with the Stepfather talking about how he wants to quit his job & head back into real estate (The job he carried in the original film) the step child who doesn't like him & goes snooping in his past (Which Jill Scholen did in the original), a priest who attempts to help the young boy with his investigation & the only one who will listen to him when others don't, when he

tries to explain that he has a bad feeling over his new step dad (the priest character being a shadow of the same kind of character in the original , which was a psychiatrist that the daughter confided in over her worries about her new dad when no one would listen & helps her investigate to find out her step dad's past) the Stepfather killing the priest when he finds out the priest knows to much & then dumping his car over a cliff (again similar to the Stepfather murdering his daughters psychiatrist & dumping him over the cliff in his car) the son breaking down weeping over the death of the priest after the Stepfather delivers the bad news over the supposed "accident" (similar to a scene where the Stepfather explains to Jill Scholens character in the garage of the psychiatrist passing) & the sex scene between the Stepfather & his new wife where he looks to be enjoying the experience as much as one would if they were about ready to have a tooth extracted from their mouth without any Novocaine & the scene where the new step son sees his dad flip out & curse & yell outside the family home while he's wailing the heck out of a tree stump with an axe, giving the kid his first inkling that his new step dad is not who he says he is, also echo's scenes from the first film. All in all, while it keeps the same slasher film mentality of the sequel, STEPFATHER 3 is & feels more like a true sequel than the first sequel. It retains the same level of suspense, has some nasty painful looking kills on hand & unlike the sequel, he really is a stepfather this time & not a "soon to be" like he was in the first film.

***1/2 stars

Ridiculous.

Author: Pacey-8 (snickerpuss@redneckmail.com) from Victoria, Australia
12 March 2000

Ok! 1 was great, 2 was ok, but this one is pushing it a bit far. Obviously Terry O'quinn didn't want to do this so they made up the storyline that the stepfather had his face changed so that he could go on with his murderous ways. With an annoying wheelchair-bound son to boot, we recommended surfing right past this film.

"Daddy needs a family."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
27 August 2007

~Spoiler~

The only thing that worked about Stepfather 2 was Terry O'Quinn. How is a Stepfather movie going to measure up with his absence? The answer: it's not. Stepfather 3 is a horrible attempt to breathe new life into a dated franchise. Once again we're asked to believe that the invincible Stepfather did not die in the finale of Stepfather 2. In fact, he walked away from the incident before the police arrived. No simple disguise will work this time. It's plastic surgery time. This gives the filmmakers an excuse to bring in a different actor. Robert Wightman takes over the Stepfather mantle and I feel bad for the guy. He's doing a very stiff impersonation of O'Quinn the entire run of the movie. Maybe if he had made the character his own, the movie wouldn't have been so horrid. But I doubt it. The only interesting bit in this repetitious story is the balancing act in the 3rd act. The Stepfather is trying to deal with two families at once because he's unsatisfied with his situation. The ending is definitive this time (even moreso than the last two films). The Stepfather is shoved into a wood chipper by the paralyzed boy who has finally overcome his fear of walking (yes, it's as cheesy as you picture). The problem is after 110 minutes, you just don't care. Some mook on the back of the box states "4 stars...undoubtedly one of the best horror films of the decade." How much did it cost to sell your soul?

HORRIBLE

Author: TraderVicks31
31 December 2003

Oh my god. this is awful. It was on the other night pretty late so I watched it. i regret that i did. There are a few scenes in the movie that question why this movie was even made. how about the scenes where the stepfather gets angry and goes by himself chopping wood or whatever while he is yelling at himself. or how about when hes playing catch with the wheel chair kid and takes him out of the chair and asks him to walk. this movie wasnt intended to be funny but its actually hilarious. im shocked that actors could be so bad.

Awful doesn't even begin to describe this film

Author: rpzowie (rpzowie@yahoo.com) from USA
12 May 2001

This movie's script, plot and acting are all so stupid (except for Priscilla Barnes) that they're hilarious. Unfortunately, this was intended to be a horror film.

Unless you like movies that are so bad they're funny (a la Plan 9 From Outer Space), I'd recommend avoiding this film.