IMDb > Stay Tuned (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stay Tuned

Stay Tuned More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Holy Shatner!

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
20 October 2013

The Knables are a very dysfunctional family. Roy Knable (John Ritter) is a very unhappy person, who cares more about his T.V shows, than his wife Helen (Pam Dawber) his wife is fed up of it. They have two children who bicker constantly. Things are in complete and utter disarray. Roy gets an offer from a mysterious salesman named Spike. He offers up a satellite dish with over 600 channels for Roy's choosing. Being the T.V addict Roy is, he is very much enticed. He turns Spike down, so Spike gives Roy a free trial. His wife flips and is about to move out, but they get sucked into a hellish world, filled with sadistic T.V shows. Roy and Helen are forced to try and survive the gauntlet, and get back home

Not only is this movie clever, but I enjoyed it very much. This movie is made for film buffs. It's filled with spoofs of T.V titles, which cracked me up. This is definitely one of those misunderstood films, and it's almost cultish in a way. It's not going to be for everyone. Casual movie goers may not get into all the inside jokes, and stuff like that. But for people that watch a lot of movies and T.V shows on a yearly basis, will howl. There is even a bizarre cartoon sequence, where Roy and Helen play mouses, and try to evade a mechanical cat of sorts. Strangely enough, it was very funny. My favorite one is near the end of the movie, where Roy gets transported onto the Three's Company set. I won't spoil it all, but it's absolutely hilarious. Those that don't know, John Ritter was propelled into stardom due to Three's Company. I do have a minor carp. It did seem to me that Roy & Helen accepted their predicament a bit too easy. Maybe it was just me, which could be the case. The film also leaves their kids to be the heroes, and I especially found the sister annoying. John Ritter & Pam Dawber ace their parts with charisma and likability. Jeffrey Jones hams it up like no tomorrow, and is clearly having a blast. Eugene Levy is amusing as well

Stay Tuned for extra title jokes at the end credits!

Final Thoughts: This is a highly underrated film. I think many people didn't grasp what this movie was going for. I watch a ton of movies on a yearly basis. I managed to get most of the jokes. This is highly recommended for big movie fans, not so much for people that watch movies on a casual basis. I personally dug it

7.5/10

Wild Satiric Comedy.

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
29 August 2013

John Ritter and Pam Dawber(both sitcom veterans) play Roy and Helen Knable, a suburban couple who unwittingly become sucked into their new television, and find themselves bouncing through different TV series & movies, which are being aired on a demonic TV station run by Spike(Jeffrey Jones, well cast) who puts them through(among other unfortunate TV watchers) an ordeal to see if he can capture their souls for Satan, and earn himself a promotion! Plot of course is ludicrous, but this is supposed to be a comedy, and while some of it is funny(amusing joke titles of TV series and films, and a clever in-joke with John Ritter and two old cast mates...) not enough of it is, as the film seems like a nutty cross between "Network" and "Beetle Juice"! Watchable to a point, but should have been grounded a little further in reality to be successful.

yes, a silly movie CAN be eerily prescient

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
24 January 2013

The 21st century has seen a number of reality shows, but none like this! John Ritter and Pam Dawber play a couple who get sucked into a satellite dish and sent through a world of twisted shows whose titles reminded me of some of the scenes in "UHF". One scene even lets John Ritter spoof his most famous role.

As it turns out, the movie may have been intended as something silly, but it now looks more serious. So many reality shows force people to perform self-degrading acts for money - like what Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr do in "The Magic Christian" - while the audience cheers the whole thing on. Viewers end up desensitized to things previously considered appalling, sometimes thinking that a real-life tragedy is part of the show (like what happens at the end of "Phantom of the Paradise").

But like I said, the movie was almost certainly intended as totally silly, and it comes out really funny. Mind you, you'll only get the jokes if you know a lot of TV shows. I figure that if the movie got made now, other spoofed titles could be "666 Feet Under" and "No Country for Mad Men".

A couple gets sucked into a hell-world of evil TV shows through a satellite dish and have to escape or die.

Author: decor8 from Oxford, NY
24 June 2006

I think this is a very entertaining, funny, and a great send-up of '80's TV. My teenage kids just watched it and they got the references to the sitcoms and game shows (even after never having seen them). There was so much clever word play- one joke after the other! There aren't too many "horror-comedies", but this one works for teens and up. It might be too scary for young audiences- too many hell, death, and devil references. I thought the stars, Jack Ritter and Pam Dawber were perfect. The plot (both funny and suspenseful) holds your interest, the special effects were good, as was the acting. I saw it years ago and liked it then, but apparently it held its own today because my kids enjoyed it too...and that's saying something!

Excellent comedy that's reminiscent of classic TV shows and movies

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
21 November 2005

In my opinion, STAY TUNED is an excellent comedy that's reminiscent of classic TV shows and movies. The first time I ever saw this movie was when I was at home in 1993. When Roy (John Ritter) and Helen (Pam Dawber) got sucked into the hellish TV world, I thought to myself, "Whoa!" I said that because I was really shocked. If you ask me, this movie had terrific performances, beautiful scenery, perfect casting, and flawless direction. Crowley (Eugene Levy) was a pretty funny guy, though. Despite the fact that Spike (Jeffrey Jones) was the head villain, I thought he gave a good performance. Now in conclusion, if you like John Ritter or Pam Dawber movies, this is definitely one to see. When you see it, prepare for laughs and a smashing good time. I also guarantee you that you'll want to see this movie over and over again.

A couch potato's delight !

Author: dogspit from Phoenix, AZ
22 January 2003

Having been a couch potato my entire life I love this film. John Ritter is brilliant as a television addict who gets satellite television installed by Satan's minion spike (Jeffrey Jones). 666 channels of totally warped TV in return for his soul. This film is loaded with references to classic TV and is a blast to watch.

Goes to show you the reviews are wrong, good movie!

Author: toyotaboy from LITH, IL
21 January 2003

5 stars out of 10? If you read all the readers reviews, I believe everyone liked this movie (which goes to show you, don't count on the critics). It's the real people that need to review movies. Granted this isn't the type of movie that makes you think deeply about life, nor is the acting wonderful, but it's chock full of spoofs that will really pull you the first time you see it (or 2nd time). john ritter is excellent in this movie, so much in fact I would have loved to see a sequel (rather than those awful problem child movies). So glad to be seeing him back on TV, but he needs to try film again. This movie also makes you ponder the question (what is hell really like? Is it just a bunch of molten lava, or is it more personal? (granted it's probably not a bunch of TV shows, but I'm sure hell is torterous). If you haven't seen this, rent it!

Not That Bad

Author: rtj912
19 January 2002

Stay Tuned is basically a movie that spoofed other movies and T.V shows such as Wayne's World, Driving Ms. Daisy and many more. If you like funny movies this is a good movie to watch it also has a great line of actors like John Ritter,Pam Dawber,Jeffrey Jones an Eugene Levy so you know this movie is going to be funny. This movie isn't a must see but sooner or later if you never saw it maybe you should go out and rent it.

I give Stay tuned a 6/10

A Fun Escape

Author: Ron Smolin (rsmolin@ix.netcom.com) from Philadelphia
16 January 2002

Contrary to the negative comments about this movie, it really is a fun piece of filmmaking, with clever satires on television. The plot has lots of twists and turns and I think you'll appreciate this comedy. It deserves more respect that it has received.

Hey! I remember this!

Author: darkmage_the_fixer from SW US
2 September 2001

I caught this movie on TV tonight, and after watching it, God do I feel old. This came out my senior year in high school, and watching it really took me back.

I remember watching all those shows they parodied when they were new, and I remember all the movies that they spoofed when they first came out. Creepy. I especially liked the Maxell commercial parody, but what was up with the music video? Salt N Pepa is so has-been it's really sad. Hell, they weren't even *that* big when the movie came out. They were big in the late '80s.

This movie is worth seeing, if only for the spoofs. It's horribly dated now (and it's hard to believe I've been out of high school almost 10 years!) but it's still worth it. Be warned though: if you're in the younger set (13 or under) chances are you never saw many of the shows they spoof in this film. As a result, many of the jokes might be lost. Who knows, a lot of those shows will live forever in reruns.

I admit, the acting at times isn't spectacular, but it gets the job done. A good script is what saved this film from the dustbin. On the whole, a good job. If the acting had been stronger it would have been a brilliant film.

Cheers