IMDb > Scent of a Woman (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scent of a Woman

Scent of a Woman More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This is a terrific movie!

Author: Rosemea D.S. MacPherson from US
20 July 2000

Al Pacino (The Godfather, Looking for Richard) won an Oscar for Best Actor for his outstanding performance as Lt. Col. Frank Slade. I have the tape and have watched it a bazillion times. I have seen many other actors playing a blind man but Pacino outwits them all. I have watched it closely just to watch his eyes. He is terrific! Every time we watch the movie we spend at least two days going: "Oo-rah!" I like prep school movies and I have two movies where Chris O'Donnell (Circle of Friends) Charlie Simms is in a prep school. I guess it goes with his type. I like the part of Charlie who is doing the best he can with the weekend he has to face. One of the most difficult things for people is to feel is useless. That is how Lt. Co. Frank Slade feels. He also has a cynicism about life that in a sense is funny because of its irony. He meets Charlie and has everything planned out. The Colonel has extremely good taste. Meeting young Charlie, who is in a very difficult situation, the outspoken Lt. Col. found a reason to live and to feel useful again, even enjoying the smell of the perfume of Charlie's teacher. I did not see the 1974 Italian film "PROFUMO DI DONNA," but would love to see the performance of the late Vittorio Gassman, one of the most well known actor of the Italian Theater and Cinema. My Favorite Scenes: Lt. Col. driving in New York city, dancing tango, and giving a speech before the student body, to clear up Charlie's name. This is a great movie! My Favorite Quotes: Lt. Col. Frank Slade: "Oo-rah!" ..." But there isn't nothing' like the sight of an amputated spirit, there is no prosthetic for that.." "There are two kinds of people in this world, Charlie. The first group are the people that face the music; the second group are those who run for cover. Cover is better."

Delicious high-class drama

Author: Keith F. Hatcher from La Rioja, Spain
26 July 2001

I do not tend to go along with Hollywood-created cult figures, that kind of hero-worship, idol-making, whatever: you can have your Julia Roberts and such like making endless and mindless blockbuster hits with such insipid nonsense as `Pretty Woman', `Notting Hill' and so on, but it has to be something more serious like Joel Schumacher's `Dying Young' or even Steven Soderbergh's `Erin Brockovich' to convince me that Ms Roberts can/might be a good actress. The same goes for Al Pacino. Until the arrival of `Scent of a Woman' he was just merely another actor of those who come out of the Hollywood mass-manufacturing industry. `Scent of a Woman' changed all that: here Pacino shows he is a grand master, a brilliant actor. It is not important that this film is a redoing of an Italian original, or even whether this film won him an Oscar: the film stands up for its own merits, and Pacino reaches colossal heights in this well-directed drama, ably and willingly aided by a refreshing Chris O'Donnell. Very much a two-man film as the characterisation centres masterfully on these two leading characters, Pacino had to carry out a truly theatre-like interpretation of a blind retired colonel; Bo Goldman's dialogues are up to the challenge, creating some magnificent monologues which Pacino so superbly enacted.

My rating is somewhat higher than the surprisingly low IMDb user rating: a memorable and classic piece of serious cinema which puts Pacino into a very high category.

Good story, brilliant acting, what more do you want?

Author: David Gerrit Garvelink from Amsterdam
10 August 2004

This movie once again proves that Pacino is one of the greatest actors of our time and that we all should be very glad he choose to portray Colonel Frank Slade in 'Scent of a woman', no one else could have done it. The story of 'Scent of a woman' stands and falls with Pacino's acting and the bringing alive of his character. It's touching and makes you smile and leaves you behind with the feeling that you've just have had the pleasure of meeting Colonel Frank Slade, a crazy but interesting man. Chris O'Donnell does what he has to do, he gives Pacino the opportunity to shine and triggers the story. The interaction between him and Pacino does the job and provides us with great lines. Overall a great movie. I give this one a 8 out of 10.

Pacino makes a difference

Author: johnny-08 from Rijeka, Croatia
26 October 2007

Every few weeks on TV in Croatia you can watch four movies with same actors in it. This week on TV were Al Pacino's movies: "S1m0ne", "The Merchant of Venice", "Cruising" and finally "Scent of a Woman". Of those four movies "Scent of a Woman" probably isn't the best choice but for Pacino fans answer is definitely positive. And not only for his fans. I just don't understand those people who cannot recognize great acting when they see it. Can you imagine how hard it must be to act a blind man? His performance as Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade is so powerful that this is one my favorite performances I have ever seen (along with Brando, Nicholson, Dean and Depp). Pacino simply blown me off. My favorite scene is in a hotel room when he's trying to kill himself and when he says: "I'm in a dark here." For a while I didn't breathe at all, that effect Pacino left on me. I'm his big fan and the Academy gave him Oscar for this role but I dare to say that he should have won the golden statue long before that ("Godfather", "Serpico", "Dog Day Afternoon", "Scarface" ...). But good things comes to those who wait. I don't even won't to talk about the movie, only about Pacino. I'll only say that I didn't like the last scene when everybody applause him in the school (so American happy ending). Also lots of people aren't familiar with the fact that this is remake of Dino Risi's "Profumo di donna" which is excellent film. And also I will explain my grade of the whole movie. 8 for the movie, 10 for the Pacino = 9/10.

A Speech Everyone Likes

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
21 July 2006

This was a different type of story with excellent acting by Al Pacino, who makes a speech at the end of the film that many people think is one of the coolest speeches they've ever heard on film.

Pacino's character, "Lt. Cl. Frank Slade," is a turnoff for awhile because he's so gruff, but he grows on you and becomes fascinating to watch as a blind man who doesn't act like a blind man. Chris O'Donnell, as "Charlie Simms," plays the opposite: a nice, young college kid whom Pacino winds up taking under wing. The only part I didn't care for was the beginning with Charlie's obnoxious friends, but that ties in later with Pacino's memorable speech.

A different kind of story, marred only by a little too much profanity. If you haven't seen it, I recommend checking it out. You'll enjoy it

A lesson of life. An Extraordinary film.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
21 November 2004

This is an extraordinary film. I can't think of enough adjectives to praise "Scent of a Woman". You can watch it with high expectations and you will feel pleased.

*SPOILERS Col. Lt. Slade is a man angered with life and has infinite bitterness towards his pyyiscal disability. The man knows how to give himself a good life but it seems that it just doesn't fills him. In an exquisite way, Lt. Slade reveals that his passions are traveling, Tango, women, and cars. It may sound superficial that life's about that (in fact it's not) but Frank Slade displays a feeling of tenderness and liberation when doing them. The Tango scene speaks by itself and it's one of the most wonderful moments in the film. Also check the Porsche action sequence. It's fun and intense.

His depression is very deep that he even considers committing suicide.

After Lt. Slade meets Charlie his point of view towards life changes as the young man teaches him that life is worth to live even if you are physically disabled. Lt. Slade realizes that he is a man blessed with many gifts and he can see through people's feelings.

In my opinion, the best moment in the movie is the powerful scene where Lt. Slade comes in defense of Charlie against Bert's directors and the honorable table. Obviously Charlie is a victim of bourgeoisy; unfairness is against him because he's a loyal, honest, and humild school mate. Mr. Trask and George Willis's father take advantage on the naive student and when Mr. Trask is about to recommend Charlie's expel from Bert, Frank Slade enters aided by Manny and sits next to Charlie as his tutor.

Slade gives a powerful, intense, and moving speech. When Mr. Trask yells to Lt. Slade that "he's out of order", Frank starts his memorable speech. Let me refresh your mind by writing it:

"Out of order, I show you out of order. You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too f***in' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place! Out of order? Who the hell do you think you're talking' to? I've been around, you know? There was a time I could see. And I have seen. Boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there isn't nothing' like the sight of an amputated spirit. There is no prosthetic for that. You think you're merely sending this splendid foot soldier back home to Oregon with his tail between his legs, but I say you are... executin' his soul! And why? Because he's not a Bairdman. Bairdmen. You hurt this boy, you're gonna be Baird bums, the lot of ya. And Harry, Jimmy, Trent, wherever you are out there, F**YOU TOO! " (IMDB - Memorable quotes).

You need to watch the movie to feel the whole experience. "Scent of a Woman" is a movie that masterfully displays drama, comedy, sadness, and makes you feel positive towards everything for a moment.

ACTING. Pacino's performance is WONDERFUL. No wonder why he got the Oscar for Best Actor. He has the charm to make the audience laugh, cry, and really feel his pain. You either love or get annoyed by his character at the beginning as he's very sarcastic, cold, and mean sometimes. As the movie evolves you totally feel symphaty for him and you can't help but ask for more of the character's personality. A delightful performance, period. Hands down to Mr. Al Pacino.

Chris O'Donnell (Charlie Simms) gives also a wonderful performance. The young man looked mature for a role of this difficulty. His innocence and decision were totally believed. When his dramatic abilities are required he delivers perfectly. When he has to deliver a decent performance when Mr. Pacino steals the scene because of his huge acting capacity; he delivers and never gets opaqued or dulled by Pacino. In my opinion, it's O'Donnell's best role to date.

DIRECTION. Martin Brest's direction is very stylish with the Hollywoodesque technique but it has a feeling. The movie looks beautiful and it's cinematography makes the movie look attractive for the eye. Brest knew how to create a powerful drama with the necessary touch of comedy. "Scent of a Woman" is an easy watch that will active all your emotions. Great job Mr. Brest.

Check out also Gabrielle Anwar's brief appearance. She surely enlightens the screen with her extreme beautiness. Wow, what a woman. The ending will also leave you satisfied.

This is one of those movies that you can watch 1000 times and you don't get bored. There's always something new to find on it.

10/10. An important and sometimes overlooked (by the Gen. X) film. Recommended FOR EVERYONE. It will move and provoke on you an internal reflexion of how you act towards life and it's burdens.

One of the best Al Pacino's movies

Author: Jessica Carvalho from Brazil
25 November 2005

Charlie Simms (a very young Chris O'Donnell in one of his first movies) is a young student of a very famous and conservative school named Bart. Different from his classmates, Charlie is not rich and only studies at the Bart because he won a scholarship;besides that, he needs to work to have some money to visit his parents. In ThanksGiving holiday he decides to work as a 'boysitter' of the coronel Frank Slade,a bitter and rough man who stayed blind when he was in camp. ( That's the reason of his bitterness)Charlie has many problems with Frank's personality,but needing to have 300 bucks as quick as possible, he decides to take care of the blind man. What happens is a nice travel to New York, where both Charlie and the coronel are going to know each other better and learn about their own weaknesses. The end of this movie, when the coronel is helping Charlie with some discussions and problems at School, is one of the most exciting scenes already watched in a movie !:)

A long days journey into "light".

Author: Erling Paulsen from Tromso, Norway
16 August 2004

This is the story of a lonely man gone lost in the darkness of his own mind and sight. A retired Colonel, and his last young recruit, embarks on the Colonel's final mission, but the end is not what either of them could have ever imagined.

Despite being somewhat melodramatic and predictable, this is a high spirited human drama and a definitive Pacino milestone. It has one of the most soul-touching performances I've ever seen by an actor. Al Pacino's character play is nothing less of absolutely stunning. The bonding of O'Donnel's firm performance makes this movie a unforgettable classic.

"Hoohaaah." Two thumbs right up!

GREAT

Author: Matt from Boulder, CO
18 March 2004

I first saw this movie when I was staying with my grandma at her cabin. I was blown away. The story is great, the acting is perfect, and you can't help but get attached to the characters. The relationship, trust, and love that develops as the story unfolds is nearly unparalleled in modern cinema. One of Pacino's BEST performances. Not like some of his other roles. Chris O'Donnel actually puts in probably his best performance of his career. This movie is full of great scenes (Pacino driving the Ferrari), Pacino yelling at the school dean, and unforgettable one-liners (hoo-ah). Do yourself a favor and rent this classic. You will be glad you did. (Also makes a pretty good date movie)

One Word: Great!!

Author: panlid from Manchester, England
18 January 2004

Michael Corleone was the best, Tony Montana sublime but Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade aint far behind in one of the greatest performances i've ever witnessed from the legend that is Al Pacino.

Agreeing with some that the last scene in the 'courtroom' wasnt all that necessary (but still uplifting) the rest of the film is fantastic. Pacino gives Slade authority, humour, stuborness and a sense of class few could manage.

O'Donnell pulls off the 'wet-behind-the-ears' role of Charlie Simms very well considering the presence of Pacino, giving the role exactly what it needed, somebody to take Pacino's crap and look completely out of his depth (the character not the actor).

The scene in the hotel room where Slade tells Simms to pass him over a few bottles of that 'John Daniels' and Simms responds 'don't you mean Jack Daniels' the next line is my one of my favourite ever...

'When you've known him as long as i have kid, you can call him John'

Love the character, love the film, for once the Oscars got it right 1993s best actor in a leading role deserved it fully.

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]