IMDb > Scent of a Woman (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scent of a Woman

Scent of a Woman More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A Hearted Story

Author: Amsomnia Studios (lerkim@gmail.com) from Denmark
21 February 2006

This movie i Thought i would lay out my meanings about. This movie is so special in my heart and so i promise it will in yours also. It is probably the best ever made my Alpacino. Well i cannot really put so many words to it but i shall try. Beautiful,Hearted,Special,Awesome. Hmm it is a little hard to say what this movie means to me but i will say this movie will make you cry and feel a special sensation in your heart. And last i just wanna say you cannot leave this world before you have seen this it is so special that it needs to be seen thats what i think. Alpacino is doing what he does best he plays a blind Man who is taking a trip to new york with a babysitter in some sort but i will not say more

Performances to Remember and Treasure

Author: gradyharp from United States
8 February 2006

Now and then it is refreshing to turn back time and elect to watch older films of substance, a reminder that there are certain cinematic characters that have become indelible. SCENT OF A WOMAN provided Al Pacino a stage on which to perform a true character, unlike any he had played before, and make it one of those creations that still, 15 years later, evoke a smile and applause.

Blind, acerbic, loudmouthed, irascible Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade (Pacino) hires preppy, in need of money, Charlie Simms (Chris O'Donnell) to escort him to New York for a 'final fling'. Charlie has his own issues that depress him, but the two end up having such a grand time in New York that they bond strongly - until Slade dresses for his final moment. The tearful Charlie convinces Slade not to off himself, Charlie's innate character wins Slade's gruff heart, and Slade ends up defending Charlie in an unforgettable prep school 'mock trial'.

The complete manner in which Pacino inhabits this role is a stroke of studied genius: as a blind man his every physical and verbal movements are wholly convincing. There are many fine moments in this film, not the least of which is the famous Tango scene, or the confrontation between Charlie and Slade regarding a suicide plan. Pacino won Best Actor for his role and it is richly deserved. This is a film to cherish. Highly Recommended. Grady Harp

For me, more moving than 'It's a Wonderful Life'

Author: landline from United Kingdom
23 September 2005

I just watched this movie again on the TV and have done at intervals of maybe four years since it's release. For the first time it has brought tears to eyes! It's just a beautiful, beautiful film. The performances are superlative, particularly of course from The Maestro, the soundtrack is thoughtfully and expertly mixed (as is the cast) and the interplay between the leads is genuinely heartwarming. Of course, the script and story underpin the work but the premise of adult learning from youth has only been rivalled by 'Rushmore' as far as I'm concerned. It's just lovely : ) Watch it, and when your kids are old enough to understand it make them watch it too.

A blind man with a perfect Vision

Author: iamnobody from India
12 August 2005

Al Pacino at his best. Never seen a better drama that this. The background music is wonderful and the sentiment flows through out the movie. Charlie simms the ideal student with excellent integrity has some trouble going on in the university. He has to work in the weekends , find a part time job for his livelihood. He is a merit student and is excellent with his academics. To his dismay(initially) his weekend job turns out to be more adventurous than he could ever imagine. With his troubles already at peak in the university, his adventure turns out to be learning lesson for him and also to the person who is none other than Al Pacino(blind retired army officer). The whole movie glitters with exuberance. The last 30 mins are quite remarkable and to be honest the heart of the movie especially the climax scene. To be frank i saw the climax about 20 odd times :) and i dare say that every man on the earth will like it.

Nowadays, it's hard to believe that this was directed by the same guy who did "Gigli".

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
11 October 2005

After twenty years as an A-list star, Al Pacino took home an Oscar for his role in "Scent of a Woman". He plays blind Lt. Col. Frank Slade, who talks like he's ready to tear your throat apart, but has a heart of gold. Sound like a cliché? Well it's not. "Scent of a Woman" succeeds where so many movies have failed, probably because Al Pacino is in the lead role (almost anyone else very likely would have turned the character into a maudlin dweeb).

Anyway, the story has college student Charlie Sims (Chris O'Donnell) agreeing to be a caretaker for Col. Slade, and the colonel takes Charlie on an adventure that he'll never forget. Along the way, a rather unusual event happens at Charlie's college (that scene will most likely make you at least giggle if not break out into laughter), and the colonel sees no choice but to get involved.

Among other things, this movie has a number of people who weren't yet famous but would make their marks in later years: Philip Seymour Hoffman as Charlie's friend George, James Rebhorn as the dean, and even Frances Conroy several years before "Six Feet Under". "Scent of a Woman" is like a breath of fresh air in the stench of so many lousy movies. Which brings us to the question: why did director Martin Brest have to direct that god-awful "Gigli"?

A very moving piece.

Author: Ben_Cheshire from Oz
27 November 2003

The sentiment in "Scent of a Woman" does not feel false or forced - it is yearned for. This is the first movie in a long time where i've not found myself looking at how long there is left about half way through. I didn't want it to end, and now its over i have this lingering affection for it. I knew this would be a beautiful movie, no matter the outcome, when Colonel Frank Slade (Pacino) lets his newly hired assistant Charlie Simms (Chris O'Donnel) know, as they sit at a lush meal, in an expensive restaurant, where they came from their hotel, the Walforf-Astoria, that while they are in New York, Slade plans to drive a ferrari, sleep with a beautiful woman, and lay down on his bed and blow his brains out.

This is a movie about what there is to love in life - what reasons there are to live. And for Colonel Slade, above all things, that is making love to a woman - and a distant second, driving a ferrari.

Feminists may find themselves uncomfortable when seeing this movie - because it indulges in a traditional stereotype of women, putting them up on a pedestal, so that they're so special they can not even be spoken to as a man can speak to a man. In many ways (contrary to what you might think) this is a man's picture. Its about the brotherhood between men, where the highest virtue is integrity; and its about man's love of women. In fact, women only pop up in this picture to serve the needs of the male characters, and the male scriptwriters. The most memorable of these cameos, of course, is Gabrielle Anwar, in the magestic (and famous) tango sequence. It surprised me that Anwar didn't return, until i realised that she was only there to dance with Slade, and what was important was the relationship between Slade and Simms.

So although this movie is very much about men, and is very old-fashioned in its value system, it is these things in an affectionate way. Since women consider this a chick flick (i think), then perhaps they like the way they look through men's eyes?

In any case, this is a special movie, which leaves you with a lingering feeling for it.

What a crappy, boring movie

Author: Nick Damian from Toronto, Ontario
21 August 2009

Wow, it's boring, slow, mundane and uninteresting.

What else is there to say? Maybe it's just me - but I feel that Al Pacino should be pretty much given gangster roles or edgy roles...not roles with preppy kids, trying to explain life to them.

It's overdone monologue which means to protect the dignity of a honour student over some trivial event expands into something so ludicrous that you would think you are watching a serious courtroom drama with something so insanely intense that somebody's life is at stake - while in reality, it's some preppy kid who may or may not have some some idiotic prank.

Big EFFIN deal! Overblown on all counts with nothing to hold it together.

I'm waiting for his return as a gunslinging gangster causing carnage and snorting huge amounts of drugs.

Is this a comedy?

Author: Jeremy Barger (firegod001@msn.com) from Ohio, United States
23 April 1999

Why am I not surprised that the Oscars honored this film? It's a bad movie, with only one grace that I could tell. It is pretty funny. Some of the funny parts are on purpose, and some of them are products of bad cinema. Watching a blind man drive down city streets at high speeds reminded me of the Naked Gun movies. Those movies knew how silly they were, because they did it on purpose. The pathetic thing about Scent of a Woman is they probably had no idea how idiotic they were being. And can someone please explain to me why all of the over-rated movies in this world are too long? Are you trying to put us to sleep or make us slit our wrists? Bad film.

Standard Hollywood Sentiment

Author: bas rutten from Eindhoven, the Netherlands
6 February 2003

In spite of the good acting, especially by Mr. Pacino (has he ever delivered a poor acting job?) I can't possibly say that I found "Scent of a Woman" a good movie. The story isn't bad, and there definitely are some very good moments, but about halfway through the novelty wears off, and what's left is a predictable and somewhat sentimental Hollywood vehicle, in the vein of "A Beautiful Mind" or the "English Patient".

The largest problem is that it's all terribly overdone: the movie keeps stressing and stressing how blind and depressed Al Pacino's character is and how great he used to be, leading to some pretty ridiculous scenes of a blind man driving a car and an quite ludicruous speech in which Al basically says it's OK to lie and cover things up. It's all so exaggerated: they keep stressing why it's supposed to be touching and it just gets annoying. After a while I just waiting for the movie to end: it had made it's point but it kept going on and on and on. I was glad when it was finally over.

** out of *** stars (mainly since it's acted very well).

Pretentious and abusive

Author: monkeyface_si (monkeyface_si@yahoo.com) from Staten Island, NY
7 July 2001

I adore Al Pacino. He deserved the Oscar for his performances in Serpico, Godfather II, and Dog Day Afternoon. What a shame that the movie he finally won it for is so poorly written and that his character is so one-note. He is angry because he is blind. He is abusive because he is blind. He curses because he's blind. Chris O'Donnell is cute as a button but clueless as to his motivation in the role. The supporting cast is amateurish and without direction. Overall this is one of the most pretentious films I have ever seen.