IMDb > Scent of a Woman (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Pacino makes a difference

Author: johnny-08 from Rijeka, Croatia
26 October 2007

Every few weeks on TV in Croatia you can watch four movies with same actors in it. This week on TV were Al Pacino's movies: "S1m0ne", "The Merchant of Venice", "Cruising" and finally "Scent of a Woman". Of those four movies "Scent of a Woman" probably isn't the best choice but for Pacino fans answer is definitely positive. And not only for his fans. I just don't understand those people who cannot recognize great acting when they see it. Can you imagine how hard it must be to act a blind man? His performance as Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade is so powerful that this is one my favorite performances I have ever seen (along with Brando, Nicholson, Dean and Depp). Pacino simply blown me off. My favorite scene is in a hotel room when he's trying to kill himself and when he says: "I'm in a dark here." For a while I didn't breathe at all, that effect Pacino left on me. I'm his big fan and the Academy gave him Oscar for this role but I dare to say that he should have won the golden statue long before that ("Godfather", "Serpico", "Dog Day Afternoon", "Scarface" ...). But good things comes to those who wait. I don't even won't to talk about the movie, only about Pacino. I'll only say that I didn't like the last scene when everybody applause him in the school (so American happy ending). Also lots of people aren't familiar with the fact that this is remake of Dino Risi's "Profumo di donna" which is excellent film. And also I will explain my grade of the whole movie. 8 for the movie, 10 for the Pacino = 9/10.

A Speech Everyone Likes

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
21 July 2006

This was a different type of story with excellent acting by Al Pacino, who makes a speech at the end of the film that many people think is one of the coolest speeches they've ever heard on film.

Pacino's character, "Lt. Cl. Frank Slade," is a turnoff for awhile because he's so gruff, but he grows on you and becomes fascinating to watch as a blind man who doesn't act like a blind man. Chris O'Donnell, as "Charlie Simms," plays the opposite: a nice, young college kid whom Pacino winds up taking under wing. The only part I didn't care for was the beginning with Charlie's obnoxious friends, but that ties in later with Pacino's memorable speech.

A different kind of story, marred only by a little too much profanity. If you haven't seen it, I recommend checking it out. You'll enjoy it

A lesson of life. An Extraordinary film.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
21 November 2004

This is an extraordinary film. I can't think of enough adjectives to praise "Scent of a Woman". You can watch it with high expectations and you will feel pleased.

*SPOILERS Col. Lt. Slade is a man angered with life and has infinite bitterness towards his pyyiscal disability. The man knows how to give himself a good life but it seems that it just doesn't fills him. In an exquisite way, Lt. Slade reveals that his passions are traveling, Tango, women, and cars. It may sound superficial that life's about that (in fact it's not) but Frank Slade displays a feeling of tenderness and liberation when doing them. The Tango scene speaks by itself and it's one of the most wonderful moments in the film. Also check the Porsche action sequence. It's fun and intense.

His depression is very deep that he even considers committing suicide.

After Lt. Slade meets Charlie his point of view towards life changes as the young man teaches him that life is worth to live even if you are physically disabled. Lt. Slade realizes that he is a man blessed with many gifts and he can see through people's feelings.

In my opinion, the best moment in the movie is the powerful scene where Lt. Slade comes in defense of Charlie against Bert's directors and the honorable table. Obviously Charlie is a victim of bourgeoisy; unfairness is against him because he's a loyal, honest, and humild school mate. Mr. Trask and George Willis's father take advantage on the naive student and when Mr. Trask is about to recommend Charlie's expel from Bert, Frank Slade enters aided by Manny and sits next to Charlie as his tutor.

Slade gives a powerful, intense, and moving speech. When Mr. Trask yells to Lt. Slade that "he's out of order", Frank starts his memorable speech. Let me refresh your mind by writing it:

"Out of order, I show you out of order. You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too f***in' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place! Out of order? Who the hell do you think you're talking' to? I've been around, you know? There was a time I could see. And I have seen. Boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there isn't nothing' like the sight of an amputated spirit. There is no prosthetic for that. You think you're merely sending this splendid foot soldier back home to Oregon with his tail between his legs, but I say you are... executin' his soul! And why? Because he's not a Bairdman. Bairdmen. You hurt this boy, you're gonna be Baird bums, the lot of ya. And Harry, Jimmy, Trent, wherever you are out there, F**YOU TOO! " (IMDB - Memorable quotes).

You need to watch the movie to feel the whole experience. "Scent of a Woman" is a movie that masterfully displays drama, comedy, sadness, and makes you feel positive towards everything for a moment.

ACTING. Pacino's performance is WONDERFUL. No wonder why he got the Oscar for Best Actor. He has the charm to make the audience laugh, cry, and really feel his pain. You either love or get annoyed by his character at the beginning as he's very sarcastic, cold, and mean sometimes. As the movie evolves you totally feel symphaty for him and you can't help but ask for more of the character's personality. A delightful performance, period. Hands down to Mr. Al Pacino.

Chris O'Donnell (Charlie Simms) gives also a wonderful performance. The young man looked mature for a role of this difficulty. His innocence and decision were totally believed. When his dramatic abilities are required he delivers perfectly. When he has to deliver a decent performance when Mr. Pacino steals the scene because of his huge acting capacity; he delivers and never gets opaqued or dulled by Pacino. In my opinion, it's O'Donnell's best role to date.

DIRECTION. Martin Brest's direction is very stylish with the Hollywoodesque technique but it has a feeling. The movie looks beautiful and it's cinematography makes the movie look attractive for the eye. Brest knew how to create a powerful drama with the necessary touch of comedy. "Scent of a Woman" is an easy watch that will active all your emotions. Great job Mr. Brest.

Check out also Gabrielle Anwar's brief appearance. She surely enlightens the screen with her extreme beautiness. Wow, what a woman. The ending will also leave you satisfied.

This is one of those movies that you can watch 1000 times and you don't get bored. There's always something new to find on it.

10/10. An important and sometimes overlooked (by the Gen. X) film. Recommended FOR EVERYONE. It will move and provoke on you an internal reflexion of how you act towards life and it's burdens.

One of the best Al Pacino's movies

Author: Jessica Carvalho from Brazil
25 November 2005

Charlie Simms (a very young Chris O'Donnell in one of his first movies) is a young student of a very famous and conservative school named Bart. Different from his classmates, Charlie is not rich and only studies at the Bart because he won a scholarship;besides that, he needs to work to have some money to visit his parents. In ThanksGiving holiday he decides to work as a 'boysitter' of the coronel Frank Slade,a bitter and rough man who stayed blind when he was in camp. ( That's the reason of his bitterness)Charlie has many problems with Frank's personality,but needing to have 300 bucks as quick as possible, he decides to take care of the blind man. What happens is a nice travel to New York, where both Charlie and the coronel are going to know each other better and learn about their own weaknesses. The end of this movie, when the coronel is helping Charlie with some discussions and problems at School, is one of the most exciting scenes already watched in a movie !:)

A long days journey into "light".

Author: Erling Paulsen from Tromso, Norway
16 August 2004

This is the story of a lonely man gone lost in the darkness of his own mind and sight. A retired Colonel, and his last young recruit, embarks on the Colonel's final mission, but the end is not what either of them could have ever imagined.

Despite being somewhat melodramatic and predictable, this is a high spirited human drama and a definitive Pacino milestone. It has one of the most soul-touching performances I've ever seen by an actor. Al Pacino's character play is nothing less of absolutely stunning. The bonding of O'Donnel's firm performance makes this movie a unforgettable classic.

"Hoohaaah." Two thumbs right up!

GREAT

Author: Matt from Boulder, CO
18 March 2004

I first saw this movie when I was staying with my grandma at her cabin. I was blown away. The story is great, the acting is perfect, and you can't help but get attached to the characters. The relationship, trust, and love that develops as the story unfolds is nearly unparalleled in modern cinema. One of Pacino's BEST performances. Not like some of his other roles. Chris O'Donnel actually puts in probably his best performance of his career. This movie is full of great scenes (Pacino driving the Ferrari), Pacino yelling at the school dean, and unforgettable one-liners (hoo-ah). Do yourself a favor and rent this classic. You will be glad you did. (Also makes a pretty good date movie)

One Word: Great!!

Author: panlid from Manchester, England
18 January 2004

Michael Corleone was the best, Tony Montana sublime but Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade aint far behind in one of the greatest performances i've ever witnessed from the legend that is Al Pacino.

Agreeing with some that the last scene in the 'courtroom' wasnt all that necessary (but still uplifting) the rest of the film is fantastic. Pacino gives Slade authority, humour, stuborness and a sense of class few could manage.

O'Donnell pulls off the 'wet-behind-the-ears' role of Charlie Simms very well considering the presence of Pacino, giving the role exactly what it needed, somebody to take Pacino's crap and look completely out of his depth (the character not the actor).

The scene in the hotel room where Slade tells Simms to pass him over a few bottles of that 'John Daniels' and Simms responds 'don't you mean Jack Daniels' the next line is my one of my favourite ever...

'When you've known him as long as i have kid, you can call him John'

Love the character, love the film, for once the Oscars got it right 1993s best actor in a leading role deserved it fully.

The story of two men, strangers at the beginning, who end up saving one another from falling down.

Author: Elena from Romania
17 February 2007

It's a captivating story that shows life as a perfect piece of art, despite all the drama, the pain and regret. And all these meanings are concentrated in the tango Al Pacino dances in the restaurant.

Al Pacino shows once again an incredible talent, and I believe his secret are his eyes. This movie, he acts with his eyes...quite amazing because eyesight is exactly what his character has recently lost.

"Scent of a woman" is one of those movies one has to see several times, not because it's too complicated, but because it seems to be new and different every time you see it. Once at the age of 18 and then again after 5 years...It's the same plot, the same story, but something seems different, new...and that is YOU!

I feel this movie moves along with the person watching it...today, tomorrow...and so on, and so on...

Overrated and tedious

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
28 April 2005

Al Pacino won his first and only Oscar for "Scent of a Woman" in 1992 and he deserved it far more for "Glengarry Glen Ross," released the same year. Although he yells a lot in both pictures, the over-the-top screaming was justified by the character in "Glengarry Glen Ross"; in "Scent of a Woman," his Lt. Col. Frank Slade comes across as a gross caricature, sort of like Robert De Niro in "This Boy's Life." Both terrific actors made some mistakes in the 1990s: This was Pacino's largest in my opinion.

First of all, like De Niro in "This Boy's Life," Pacino's fake accent is constantly varying from scene to scene. He's supposed to be from the south and has that southern twang in his voice, and pronounces words "lak dis, y'know." (In fact, he says "y'know" a lot in this movie.) The problem is that the accent comes and goes; sometimes Pacino's got it down-pat, and at other times we feel as though he's playing another character. The end speech in particular careens from Louisiana speech patterns to New York City, y'know.

The movie starts off fair enough but it's so sappy and oozing with cheesy sentimentality that, by its finale, I felt as if I'd seen enough and wanted to turn on something else.

Because basically I've seen something just like this before. It was called "Dead Poet's Society" and it followed the same formula, and carried the same sentimental goo as "Scent of a Woman." Chris O'Donnell delivers the best performance of his career, and outstages Pacino. But the movie -- clocking in at nearly three hours! -- really falls apart in the last act.

Yes, it's nice to feel refreshed by cinema. Frank Capra got away with this endless times - just look at the final speech by Jimmy Stewart in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." The problem is that it's out of place, awkward and unrealistic in "Scent of a Woman," a movie that otherwise proposes it is very real. Pacino rants for about five minutes straight, as if he's reading his lines from "Witty Catchphrases People Will Remember for Years to Come: For Dummies." Overall, Martin Brest has made far better character pieces (just look at "Midnight Run," and that was a comedy!) and although "Scent of a Woman" is NOT a horrible film by any means, I do believe it's quite overrated and too sappy at times to be altogether memorable. It's okay, and worth watching now and again if it happens to come on television, but don't expect the masterpiece some people have made it out to be. It's really quite average, and follows a formula that's been followed far too many times over the years.

Al Pacino is excellent in this otherwise unremarkable film

Author: Billy the Kid from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
12 February 2002

For the most part, "Scent of a Woman" is standard Hollywood fare, featuring a "heartwarming" and "uplifting" story about personal growth, the strength of friendship, and the discovery that life really isn't so bad after all. The plot involves a young student (Chris O'Donnell), who agrees to watch over a blind and embittered ex-colonel (Al Pacino) for Thanksgiving weekend. He then goes on to teach the older man a few lessons about life, while learning just as much himself. If this sort of relationship sounds familiar, it is because it has been the subject of countless other films (think "Finding Forrester," for instance). "Scent of a Woman" is at least partially redeemed by the presence a few memorable moments, such as the scenes involving the Tango and the Ferrari.

What really sets this film apart, though, is Al Pacino's brilliant performance. Although he tends to overact on occasion (as in some of his other post-1970s films, such as "Scarface"), he still manages to reveal the complexities of his character in a way that no other actor could have managed. While Chris O'Donnell and James Rebhorn are fine in their roles, it is Al Pacino who gives us a reason to watch this otherwise unremarkable film.

Page 2 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]