IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 95: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Pure Useless

Author: Gregory from Ireland
6 May 2012

Easily one of the worst films I have ever seen. I don't know how some people love it. Seriously overrated. Basically set in the one scene. One scene of gory violence which is hard to watch. A few pathetic attempts at humor. People who say its one of the best films of all time probably haven't watched much films. I don't think it's a proper gangster film like good fellas or Casino Which are classics. I also don't like how some characters try to come across as tough. Complete Waste Of Time ... Watch a real film like casino Twasnt worth the money I paid to watch it . I have to stretch this out to fill in ten lines of text

avoid like the plague

Author: herr_chagall from split, croatia
28 December 2011

"reservoir dogs" is the perfect example of a movie that continues to receive praise albeit it deserves none of it.

it is a weak rip-off of ringo lam's "city on fire" -- a bit of cinematographic education goes a long way and i recommend watching the original instead of this over-hyped puke.

Tarantino has made two good movies during his career, "pulp fiction" and "jackie brown" ... other than that, he has proved to be a one-trick pony that recycles the same pattern over and over again.

it is intriguing that people give this flick such high ratings, which leads to the conclusion that most of them are based on the lack of knowledge as to its history (of plagiarism).

Anything For Attention!!!

Author: dataconflossmoor from United States
9 November 2007

When viewing information about different movies, and their respective reviews on this website, officials posted that this movie was likened to the film "Diner". At first, I found this to be a very peculiar comparison!! The minute I popped this movie into the DVD player, I realized the similarity to both movies, particularly with regards to the introductory dialog... I like this type of opening scene, the gist of it being whereby the incongruity of conversation effectively depicts the twisted character portrayals of the pivotal actors in the film !! The camera angles to the coffee shop pontifications, as illustrated in "Diner" and in "Resevoir Dogs", were extremely poignant!! As was the case with "Diner", "Resevoir Dogs" depicted an overtly energetic camaraderie with everyone conversing at the coffee shop table. The film, "Diner" provided a succinct illustration of kindred spirits which were precocious, with "Resevoir Dogs" the bonds were rather macabre!! Focusing now on "Resevoir Dogs", that guy who was adamant about not tipping the waitress struck an intensely sensitive nerve cord with me, as I used to be in the food and beverage industry. How did I feel about that guy? Put it this way, if he thinks his manner of killing someone is gruesome and sickening, once a bunch of bartenders get a hold of him, he ain't seen nothing yet... While I detest the term "ain't" as it is a colloquialism for the illiterate, it is seemingly appropriate in this case!! Speaking of colloquialisms, this movie was full of them. The F word was habitually used in the film "Resevoir Dogs", in fact it was the movie's favorite colloquialism!! The F word is basically an interjection, however, the usage of the F word demonstrates an amazing versatility which accommodates virtually every part of speech, it is very amenable when used a as a gerund as well!! Such an excessive use of this word in "Resevoir Dogs" bares a precarious resemblance to the movie "The Departed"... My G-Rated euphemisms are not displayed here because I am so delicate, rather, it is because I am aware of IMDb's comment guidelines!! This film was about a bunch of reprobates who were amused by their irrational conclusions, and delving into a complacently convoluted logic became their favorite hobby!! Why were all of the characters in this movie so thwarted? Come on!! I have to be at another appointment in about a half an hour!! When someone talks about seriously engaging in a first class felony, they get attention, once they totter with the idea of murder, people are all ears, at least they should be!! Such lamentations evoke a very lethal excoriation against the "establishment". Quentin Tarrantino directs this film, and, he is without a doubt, an unprecedented cannon of creativity!! His overall motif of blood and violence is his notoriously successful trademark, "Pulp Fiction" being his prize piece!! While compared to the movie "Diner" I may be one of the few who likes "Diner" better, of course, I am civilized!! Nevertheless, "Resevoir Dogs" is a remarkably well made movie which tries to use the recreation of murder as the ultimate and prevailing diatribe of circumstantial justification!! It ("Resevoir Dogs") has an innovative approach to larceny, and a criminal's code of ethics!! You watch "Resevoir Dogs", I will guarantee you that you will not be bored!! The acting, the directing, and the aggregate creation of this film, falls into the category of sensational entertainment... I give this film a perfect ten!! See it when you're angry!!

Major Letdown

Author: Box Office from United States
12 January 2007

I heard so many good things about this movie before I finally saw it, and I was misled. With a shorter running time, it seemed like there was an attempt to pack in a vast amount of plot, but it ended up seeming like more time was wasted because of it.

With such a fine cast, I was expecting some fine performances. I wasn't disappointed as far as that goes. I'll admit the variety of characters was interesting and fun to watch at times, most notably during the first scene. That's about all it has to offer though.

The basic concept of strangers getting together for a crime isn't a bad idea on paper, it just didn't work out at all for this script. I kept hoping the writing would get better as the movie went on, but after about a third of the way through, I knew what I was in for.

I really don't think there's anything groundbreaking here, even for 1992. Crime movies have been done, and been done better. This seemed more like a fantasy crime movie that would only be interesting to the person thinking about it in their own unique way.

There's also some torture scene put in, which I really thought didn't need to be. It didn't seem like it fit in, at least to the extent of what happened. So what's the bottom line here? Well, it's crime movie with a semi interesting plot, a lot of tough guy talk, and an overall letdown of what could have been. 4/10

Hype

Author: john smith from London
12 November 2001

I thought it was boring, rambling and way over rated - and I did watch it three times to see whether I'd missed something as everyone was raving about it.

It wasn't THAT original. Was it?

The expectation of many people telling you to go and see was a bit too much for me, I think just maybe there must have been something deeply subliminal in the film, and my brain just doesn't have that part.

Hype.

A Waste of Skill

Author: Mr. Film from Boston
19 May 1999

Many people believe "Reservoir Dogs" is a good film. It is not. Tarantino failed to make it into anything but violence and the combination of music and camera-work. The screenplay was poor, but the lines, or at least the way they were written, were convincing. This film has absolutely no redeeming qualities, and I use the word "redeeming" loosely about movies. Without a doubt, many movies are about nothing and are good. "Dogs" is about a group of men who messed up a bank robbery and went to a warehouse to talk about things and get very angry at each other.

Many find the movie hip, but at best the movie itself is not hip, the pitiful characters may seem to be, but really the only hip character is Mr. White, played by Harvey Keitel. Anyone that thinks supposed professionals who can't do their jobs right, swear a great deal over nothing, get very tense, and lose their cool on a dime work well for a movie centered around nothing in particular are wrong. A very weak film.

The beauty in the simplicity of a gangster movie. By Quentin Tarantino.

Author: eagandersongil from Brazil
30 April 2017

"Rent Dogs" transpires style and charm, in his first film, Quentin Tarantino shows the public all his cinematographic resources, ranging from the script to the use of cameras, through cuts and soundtrack, even if many of the resources are abandoned later , Quentin arrives with his foot in the door bringing a gangster movie that closes almost an intersection between films of the genre of directors like Brian de Palm, Martin Scorsese and Coppola, because it brings the tone and photography would be alienated the irony, joke and humor black. With a Linear script that has several tours to the past, we have a movie about a theft to jewelry, where the robbery is not shown, and this is absolutely brilliant, as we see the consequences and discussions about what happened, imagine the scene, Tarantino Gives us the brushes and we paint the screen, it is worth noting how Tarantino completely develops his characters only through dialogues, although later in the film has scenes of pure developments that are played on the screen. We have a history of a group of 5 criminals who are hired by a mafia to steal a jewelry store, but their plans end up being very, very wrong to find out that one is an infiltrator. The film does not establish any type of morals, nor does it need to, this is not its function. We have a photograph that contrasts strong shades of gray with warm colors, although at times it seems careless, it is beautiful, filmed completely in roll, at times it seems that we are watching a film of the 70s, and that is a compliment, because it brings A giant charm the film, without original songs but orchestrated by pop music of the 70s, its track is completely irreverent and dictates the rhythm of certain scenes, besides making the viewer want to dance, its use in opposition to violence and crime is a Complete discord, we hate to love it. With a good sound mix and a completely fabulous editing, the publisher Sally Menke has many merits for leaving the film round and the famous expression "Tarantinesca" passes through her hands, and of course, we can not ignore the camera angles, the Tarantino's famous counter-plongée camera is used a lot here, not to mention its circulations on the bar table and its angle in the "Mexican Impashes" promoted by the director. All the actors are very well here, save a highlight for Steve Buscemi and especially Tim Roth who freaks out on the scene, even though there is a good part of the film on the bloody floor, obviously we can not fail to mention Harvey Keitel. Finally, the first Tarantino film has errors, such as the overdevelopment of certain characters and a rhythm problem; besides, Tarantino never marks his acts (which is a style, not exactly a defect) even though it is full of Charm, although very simple, it has a giant cinematic quality and certainly the few features contribute to the inherent beauty of "Rent Dogs"

Tarantino Makes His Mark

Author: atlasmb from United States
20 April 2017

Quentin Tarantino's first film of consequence and the film that introduced him to the masses, "Reservoir Dogs" bears all the hallmarks of what we have come to expect in Tarantino films.

Pop music plays a role, sometimes as background music, sometimes voiced by characters. Violence is a central theme, often gratuitous and gory, like a Peckinpah film. Vulgarity is common, though this can be attributed to accurate character writing. His characters like to tell stories, allowing Tarantino the writer to express his enjoyment of a well-told tale.

But what makes this film a significant contribution to cinema canon is its style, particularly the way Tarantino frames scenes. It also includes interesting, quirky characters that engage the viewer and keep him guessing.

That said, this film is not for everyone. Particularly those who abhor cinematic violence. The dialogue is also heavily sexist, racist and anti-gay (in accordance with the nature of the central characters).

Viwers might ask themselves if Tarantino, as writer and director, is trying to deliver a message or a moral, or if he is merely including all of the film elements that he personally enjoys? Viewing his later films suggests that the latter is true.

Timeless and Gripping

Author: Prateek Jain from India
20 April 2017

Right from the first minute, this movie takes you into its own world and keeps you fixated. Tarantino's script + direction means that the movie was pretty gripping. Like many others, I too loved the background score. It is unconventional but goes well with the movie. The overall execution of the movie was so good that we forget the actors and instead focus on the characters like Mr. Pink, Mr. White etc. Special mention to Mr. Blonde who made a lasting impression through 'that' one scene. The movie, its characters, its music, all have become a part of the pop culture and there is a very good reason behind it.

It left me asking for more. Which is a good thing, but I really wanted for more to happen once such interesting characters had been developed and the platform was set.

Simple Concept, Brilliant Movie

Author: The Firefix from Indonesia
1 April 2017

One of my favorite movies of all time. This movie is entertaining and brilliant even though it only has a simple concept that is a Robbery gone wrong with a Rat/Traitor in it. I find this movie more brilliant is this is Tarantino's Debut Film, to get this type of movie in his Debut is just brilliant. But for me, the thing that strikes me the most is the entertaining story. It's original and fresh even though it steals from another movie. It's just sad that my friends don't seem to love it because of it's "Chapters"