IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 88: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Not on par with "Pulp Fiction", but still an enjoyable work from Tarantino!

Author: Seth Landers from California, United States
9 September 2014

It took me a couple times to full enjoy this movie for what it truly is. A real ensemble piece! The movie is about a group of gangsters with names that represent basic colors that are trying to comprehend why their big heist went so horribly wrong.

There's a lot of style and confidence with this film that really shows in the quality of work. The writing is top-notch as usual and yet it's still not on par with the superior "Pulp Fiction". One of my favorite scenes is the opening sequence with an argument about believing in tipping in restaurants.

I gotta give Tarantino credit for this being his directorial debut and figuring out how to give his characters a lot of personality and wit. This is a pretty good movie and I enjoy it for what it is. If you want to see a character study based crime drama, then this movie is for you!

Great for some dogs

Author: Cool Awesome (dymondstout) from United States
30 August 2014

I really liked this movie because most movies shows during the robbery that gone wrong but this shows the aftermath. The characters here are fully developed and they work well with each other. If you like a crime movie and is okay with blood and curse words this is a movie for you. This a great movie and I think this is the movie that inspired people to do names like Mr. Blue, Mr,orange, and etc. In the movie Mr. Blonde is the psycho one, while M. White is the compassion one, Mr.Pink in the one that wants to contain the peace, Mr. Orange is the maybe or maybe not the least expected to be a rat, and I don't know much about Mr. Brown, and Mr. Blue.

IMO better than Pulp Fiction

Author: Johnny Loud from United States
18 August 2014

I really love this movie .About a week ago Idecided to watch all Quentin Trantinos movies . I saw Pulp Fiction first and then this . And my God did it blow my mind . Now I said that this movie is better than Pulp Fiction .That is mostly because this movies realism . The dialogue is so natural like Tarantinos dialogue usually is . The characters are all great and you really get invested in them and care for them . The soundtrack is great and the acting though over the top is is till excellent ˙(it goes well with the tone of the movie ). The film is also masterfully shot . I definitely recommend that you watch this film if you don t mind violence and a lot of curse words . Now let s get to the plot . So , the movie revolves around the events after the failed jewelery store robbery ( which we never see but we do hear about it ). The robbers ( our main characters ) have been setup by someone in their group They meet at an abandoned warehouse and stuff happens and we get a lot of scenes that have happened before the robbery where we get to learn more about the characters . I won t give away the rest so you can enjoy the movie without any spoiler . Hope you found the review helpful . Sorry for grammatical errors ( I m in a hurry ). Anyways watch the movie you won t regret it .

A different perspective to a crime movie but boring!

Author: fuliamis from Turkey
20 July 2014

Since it is a Quentin Tarantino movie, I had watch this film with great expectations.May be, this is the reason that I disappointed. Truly, I always thought that "how can I not watch this movie" it is a shameful thing to do for a film fan=)

In many terms this movie is beyond its time. Different shot techniques, involvement of the story, dialogs, the beginning of the movie, everything was really different and good about this movie. Especially for a crime movie.

But (a big one) the "Reservoir Dogs" is not a fluent movie. Except the scenes that Mr. Orange tells about the "joke", dialogs were boring, so that i wanted to skip some scenes for a several times, but i didn't.

In many terms you should see it but, first you should prepare yourselves if you have high expectations.

One of the best debuts of all time.

Author: eddie052010
5 July 2014

A debut film is an important film in a director's career as not only can it introduce the film industry to a new talent, but also can give us an idea of what that director will later bring to the film industry's table. Whether it'll be a great career whose legacy will live on forever, or a frightening one that will give the industry a bad name, the debut can give us an idea of what we can expect from a newcomer. The former definitely applies to Reservoir Dogs. Made by a film geek with a tiny budget and a stellar cast, the film became a staple, not only of the independent cinema scene, but of the entire film industry in general. Critics and audiences raved and the film has gone down as one of the best films of all time. But is it worthy of that praise? Completely. While not being one of the best films ever made, the film is certainly a great one, with a great script, acting and direction.

The plot is that a bunch of gangsters, only identified by colour, attempt to pull off the perfect heist, but it all goes horribly wrong, as the cops have been alerted. After regrouping at their rendezvous point, the gangsters, reduced in their numbers and extremely paranoid, try to figure out what went wrong. What follows is a complex plot involving tortured cops, betrayals, and bubblegum pop from the 70's. The plot works really well here, as it keeps you interested in to what's going on and the non-linear approach helps to do so by filling in the blanks of the plot, and it all gels together perfectly. It also helps that the plot has many surprises, twists and a lot of tension throughout.

The rest of the writing is also very impressive. The dialogue may seem bizarre, considering that often the characters talk more about Pam Grier, tipping and Maddonna than anything else, but it is very clever and very quirky dialogue, which can often be very funny, and surprisingly, there are more laughs throughout the film (especially the opening scene) than you'd think, but the funny moments and the more suspenseful moments are balanced out perfectly, as each allows their own time to shine, and the film is smart enough to not veer too much into one genre or the other.

Unfortunately though, the characters don't hold up as well. Outside of Mr. Blonde and Mr. Orange, none of the characters have much teeth to them, and aren't very different from one another in terms of how they speak and how their personalities are constructed, as the actors alone the only thing that differentiates these characters apart. That said, some of the characters are well rounded, particularly Mr. Blonde and Mr. Orange, especially the former as the writing and Michael Madsen combine to create a character who is charming and charismatic, despite being psychotic and he definitely leaves an impact even if he has limited screen time. Mr. Orange as well is pretty interesting, being a smart-ass who is overly confident and because of this, gets more than he bargained for.

The style is also pretty cool as well. The film has a brilliant soundtrack, has great moments of exploitation violence and shows some smart ideas, particularly the ending, which is impressive for a first time director. The film may mostly take place in a warehouse, but there is more drama, excitement and hilarity in this one setting than many globe trotting summer blockbusters. Transformers, anyone?

Overall, this is a great debut, and deserves all the praise it gets and more. Despite some missteps (ie flat characters and a few plot holes), this is a masterpiece that stands as a great work of art, and gave us a taste of what to come from the great mind of Quentin Tarantino.

A True Masterpiece..!

Author: blitzed97 from United States
3 July 2014

I Downloaded this movie expecting it to be just another movie about a heist, i don't watch a lot of Crime movies, but this one blew me away..

I was at the edge of my seat at every scene, every actor nails the part, i watched this movie expecting to see the full heist including what went wrong, i was wrong, but i was happy about it, they took the time that was supposed to be the middle of the heist and replaced it with all the things that transpired after the failed heist,Quentin Tarantino now has one extra fan.

This is my first time writing a review, i know a movie is worth it when i go ahead and spend the time after i watch the movie writing a review for it, if you're on the fence on whether you should spend your time watching this, let me knock you off the fence and say go for it, Every minute passes you'll be wishing for the movie not to end,Quentin Tarantino made an amazing masterpiece that shall not be forgotten.

a masterpiece for the crime genre

Author: lukemcn1995 from United Kingdom
3 July 2014

with this simple, bloody, and artistic masterpiece Quentin Tarantino tells the movie world with his directional debut that he is here, and he is here to stay, as perhaps one of the greatest artistically diverse directors of recent memory.

the characters of this film are some of the most memorable and quotable of film history, with so many scenes that just ooze coolness, amazing scripting, and subtle creativity that leaves the viewer wanting to see more and more of Tarantino. But perhaps the stand-out characters of this movie are not the criminal yet moral Mr. White, or the young cop Mr. Orange, no, the true stars of this movie are Mr. Blonde and Mr. Pink. Mr. Blonde, aka Vic Vega, is a calm, sadistic psychopathic killer disguised as a professional criminal - and the scene in which he tortures Marvin Nash will continually echo throughout the halls of film history as one that blends black comedy, gore, and excellent acting into one of the most memorable moments of cinema. In this, Madsen effortlessly depicts a man who takes nothing but pleasure from the pure torture of an innocent man, who in turn is revealed to be an unsung hero, for keeping the identity of Mr. Orange a secret. But Madsen's dancing to Stealer's Wheels stuck in the middle with you, is so subtly funny, that we almost do not feel sympathy for the poor cop who is robbed of his ear, yet, whilst we follow the scene from his perspective, our attentions are purely concerned with Madsen's subtle insanity. Indeed, you do ask yourself; ''why would Joe hire a guy like that?''

Mr. Pink however is the standout character of this movie; Steve Bescumi steals the show, and Tarantino leaves much to the imagination with this ambiguous and rat-like character. In a movie that is so direct in its dialogue and gore, we might almost forget about the art-work Tarantino puts into his presentation of Mr. Pink, which, in my opinion, is absolutely flawless. The opening ''tip-scene'' sets up Mr. Pink as the outside of the group, the one who applies methodical thought to his actions and reasoning, the one who will stick to his principles regardless of what the other characters are doing, and this scene alone, separates the wolf from the ''dogs''. You would never think it though would you, as Keitel's Mr. White humorously kicks the man on the floor, he looks rather helpless, squirming around, trying to find his gun to turn the odds in his favour - as the iconic image of the two men pointing their guns at each other shows us, even when he's down, Mr. Pink is ever resourceful. He is the only lead character whose identity is a mystery to us; he is an entity, we know almost nothing about this character, yet, he is the only one to escape, he is the winner of this film, leaving his partners in crime dead and bloody as he crawls away with the diamonds. The nothingness that consumes our knowledge of this character's profile is what makes him the movies defining star; he is the only man who does not reveal his identity, he follows the rules, stays, as he would say ''professional'', and for following his principles, he has emerged victorious - remember what I was saying about the tipping scene? He is the lone man who remains calm, who remains moderately objective and reasonable to the situation, as I say, emerging victorious.

Overall, Tarantino's debut is one of subtly, and yet one of brutality, that makes the most of its characters, its dialogue, its soundtrack, and , if nothing else, its awe inspiring camera work - which is textbook for any director to follow if they want to know how to use a camera.

Doesn't deserve the high ratings

Author: Dejan K from Canada
2 July 2014

Judging by how entertained I was and how interested I was in the story, this film just ranks in between bad to mediocre. Great camera-work and scene transitions, like a work of art, and hey the film's high ratings may entirely be based on that so maybe I'm wrong with my negative review. However, the positives don't change the fact that the plot doesn't progress farther nor show more intelligence than a comic strip. The acting is great, but the plot just isn't there to hold it all together.

By the end I know almost nothing about the characters, don't care to know, and have no interest in knowing any of their stories. Everything is just a big pile of "meh". The violence just seems abrupt and needless, which is I suppose an intentional metaphor, I get that. Still, the violence is kind of overdone. I really did try to like this film. I was expecting a great movie since it's rated so highly with so many votes, but I was disappointed. Some great dialogue in there, but it's a film I don't want to watch twice. This ain't no Pulp Fiction, folks. Pulp Fiction draws you in and holds on tight, Reservoir Dogs just beats the snot out of you and leaves you on the floor a bloody mess. By the end you feel the meaninglessness of violence, true, but also the meaninglessness of the film, equally.

The birth of Quentin Tarantino's cinema: The film that proved his brilliance and originality!

Author: dom-lerose-8
1 July 2014

Quentin Tarantino is a man of original cinema. At the 1992 Sundance Film Festival, the world was vulnerable to his cinematic talent and triggered a legacy of classic films. 'Reservoir Dogs' is Tarantino's first feature film. Eight gangster's plan a huge heist that goes terribly wrong in which the cops start chasing them down, trust is broken between the eight men, and violence erupts like a volcano. All eight men keep their personal lives private, and it's so private that they have fake names. Each one is a color! Mr.White is Harvey Keitel, a short-tempered but conscience thief. Mr.Pink is Steve Buscemi, a whinny and cynical sneaky crook who has great dialog and is teased by the other men due to his "gay" name. Mr. Orange is an undercover cop working in on the men to take them down. He is very shy young man at first, but soon forms a relationship with Mr.White who guides and looks out for him. Orangey is played by Tim Roth. The last main character is Mr.Blonde, a cold-hearted and violent man who has absolutely no conscience and is absolutely terrifying. Michael Madsen delivers a chilling performance as this killer. The other four men are very minor characters, which is good so that you don't have too much character development to drag out the story. The way Trantino writes out the story is perfect. The story is all about the events that take place after the crime instead of leading up to the crime and during the crime like most stories would go. This film shows the long, realistic results that erupt as a result of crime. Each main character is given a tremendously entertaining background before they started working for their old-school boss Joe. Tarantino gives great character development and classic QT dialog that leads into hilarious conversations. After funny sequences, you'll have shocking gun-violence and chilling tension that gives a realistic nature to life. Not all crime films have to be serious serious serious, instead they contain realistic people who outside of their crime are just goofy guys! Quentin Tarantino directs great sequences from the opening diner scene, to the cool slow-motion walking scene, to the intense shootings. You'll enjoy his skillful directing. 'Reservoir Dogs' is a cult-classic that is a uniquely put together crime film that never gets old. Quentin Tarantino is a skillful filmmaker and in order to appreciate his modern works, you have to see his origin.

Stuck in the middle with you

Author: Larissa Pierry (tangietangerine) from Brazil
26 June 2014

Tarantino is one of my favorite directors, and he couldn't have landed a more powerful debut film than Reservoir Dogs. It must have been really exciting to see, in 1992, this new wonderful kind of filmmaking arise. The great thing about his movies is that they're always so fresh, so authentic. I've heard some people say he does nothing but plagiarize from the classics, I couldn't disagree more. Besides paying homage to his favorite movies and directors, he ends up subverting whatever contemporary notions we may have of movie-making, and creating something new out of it. He simply blows our mind with a totally unexpected script, characters, dialog and plot twists.

By the way, his bloody plot twists are the best (so are his long and genius dialogs). Like he answered as to why his movies always feature a great amount of graphic violence: "because it's so much fun!" Tarantino succeeds in casting nothing but a pack of great actors, something else to prove the quality of his work. Tim Roth gives one of the best monologue performances I've ever seen. Everyone else is just great, be it separate or together. One of the best moments is the initial scene, with that discussion over the meaning of "Like a Virgin", or the discussion about the assigned color names, just typical Tarantino. Also, the unexpected ending, I doubt people were accustomed to see that much blood in Hollywood flicks, maybe not since the 70's exploitations.

And if we pay enough attention, there's a "classical" feel to it, be it from the special "team" of con men put together to rob the jewelry store, or by Pam Grier being brought on during a conversation - and, of course, there's "K-Billy's Super Sounds of the 70's" radio we hear occasionally throughout the film. I'm always glad for the musical discoveries QT provides us in all of his movies. With Reservoir Dogs it's not different, one of the most iconic scenes is the one where Mr. Blonde tortures an unfortunate cop to the sound of "Stuck In The Middle With You."