IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 94: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

not bad for a debut film

Author: wiitigoo from Amsterdam
28 July 2016

Not bad - especially for a debut film. But really not a convincing film for me. I did not find it very fascinating, and the dialogues were not masterful, but rather boring. I think Django Unchained is a better movie for example, but maybe I am just not that big of a Tarantino fan.

The limited resources for this movie can clearly be seen. Cinematography is still pretty good. Acting Performance also pretty good. Nice to see Tarantino himself as an actor (did not even know he had done so) and Steve Buscemi is one of my all time favorite actors.

Only reason why I think Tarantino is so appreciated, is because of his dialogues (something that does not attract me that much).

Would give a this movie a 6.5 if at first sight. Certainly not bad, but just not that entertaining and a bit too much the middle form me.

Larry, stop pointing that f****** gun at my Dad!

Author: lonysimbasa from Toronto, Canada
26 July 2016

Ever since I was a little kid, Back to the Future was the s***! For years, I tried to find out how to actually build a DeLorean time machine, or any time machine. I practically lived and breathed time travel, and I still somewhat do. But, after years of watching movies, seeing nothing that could compare to Michael J. Fox. Out popped a movie that was minimalist and natural. My new favorite movie ever.

Plot - 6 guys robbed a bank under the guise of colors. They are Mr. White, Mr. Orange, Mr. Pink, Mr. Blonde, Mr. Brown, and Mr. Blue. They were hired by two guys Joe Cabot and Nice Guy Eddie. S*** goes down, Orange is shot and Blue and Brown die. The guys start wondering how the cops got there so quick. They begin to suspect that there is a rat/cop within their group. There is nothing wrong with the plot except that, they only slick back their hair in order to mask themselves. Who is to say that not one person would see your face. They have artist renderings. Also the plot is sort of borrowed from City on Fire (1987) and Kansas City Confidential. 7/10

Acting - The acting in this movie is superb. That can be credited to the fact that the dialogue is extremely relaxed and realistic. Props to the opening diner scene, where they discuss Like a Virgin and how it's all about d***. Tarantino had a sort of style that you're all familiar with. It's sort of laid back and the characters talk about stuff not important to the plot. Michael Madsen and Steve Buscemi are the best ones. Tim Roth would be the same, if it weren't for the scene where he's bleeding in the car. Keitel, Penn, Bunker, and Tarantino are good. I heard Lawrence Tierney was a pain on set, but he's not that bad. 9/10

Set Design/Location Shoot - There are barely any locations in this movie. There is the warehouse, the diner, Joe's office, the bar, and another diner. It's really nothing to brag about, though the minimalist is just amazing, as Tarantino shows he does not need a bunch of locations to make a great movie. That warehouse is also pretty memorable. 7/10

Cinematography - I really don't like reviewing this part of any movie, as I feel that it is so mundane and uninteresting. I completely skipped it over in my An Extremely Goofy Movie review and my still not submitted Beauty and the Beast review. I however include it, as there are films that deserve for their cinematography, good or bad. The cinematography is good, not great. We see Tarantino is not an amateur with his shots, and I will mention the credits sequence and Mr. Pink's flashback. There is however, nothing great about it. 7/10

Costumes/Props - The actors all brought their own costumes, because it wasn't in the budget. Nice Guy Eddie's track jacket is actually Chris Penn's and it is hilarious. The suits add to the cool factor of the movie, the cop costumes are standard, and the guns are also standard. There's no real focus on the costumes or props in this movie. 6/10

Soundtrack - My god is that soundtrack amazing. Little Green Bag is forever stuck in my head, and Stuck in the Middle With You was unbelievably awesome. Other than that, the movie is quiet for the most part. 8/10

Script/Dialogue - Like I said before, the style is very relaxed and cool. It's a really great script with realistic characters. 10/10

Characters - We don't really no much about the guys' backstory. We do know about their personalities. White (Lawrence Dimmick) is compassionate towards Orange (Freddie Newandyke) and takes the responsibility of being his mentor. He is really hurt when Freddie turns out to be the rat, and regrettably shoots him afterwards. He however, can be a killer when he needs to. I couldn't really pin down what Orange's personality is, he seemed kind of cool and scared of death, but he was mostly knocked out for most of the movie. He is also way to quick to single out Pink for not tipping, foreshadowing events to come. Blonde (Vic Vega) is a sociopath. He just doesn't care. He shoots down cops and civilians once the cops arrive a little too quickly, and he tortures a man, while at the same time dancing to 70s music. All the while, he's cool and suave, and he shows no remorse. Pink is selfish, greedy, and just wants to get the job done. He fancies himself a professional and sees Blonde as nothing more than a Psycho. We never find out his name, and yet he is the only one to survive the entire movie. Nice Guy Eddie seems like his namesake at first, but will instantly lash out if anyone threatens his dad, or if he found out his friend was trying to make off with the jewels. Joe fells every one of them is untrustworthy, so he never gives out their names. Instead he gives them colors. Although, he never gives himself or his son a code name, so he's only protecting the guys he hired and not himself. Brown and Blue were barely in the movie. We did see that Brown is very talkative. Great characters who never spout out their backstories and instead show us who they are. 9/10

Overall - It's a really good movie that borrows elements from other gangster movies. But other than that, it's fine. It's good, it's a fun movie. Mexican Standoff, awesome. And was a great movie for Tarantino to start with, unlike My Best Friend's Birthday. Inspiration comes from Kansas City Confidential, The Big Combo, The Killing (1956), The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, City on Fire (1987), and Au revoir les enfants. 7.875/10, rounded is 7.88/10, rounded is 7.9/10, rounded, 8/10.

Stylish, slick and cool cult classic

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
21 July 2016

When I first saw this movie during when I was still a teen. I was blown away by it, from the dialogues, the build up and the twist. I was intrigued from beginning to end. Despite the whole story revolving around a heist, it doesn't actually show the heist. It doesn't even really show the planning of the heist. But despite it lacking when it comes to scheming and planning things out while showing the whole process like "Ocean's Eleven". I was still intrigued and entertained throughout the whole running time. I just recently saw this film again, although I am still confused about the title of why it's called "Reservoir Dogs. It's a magnetic film that drew me in and kept me focused. I still think this film is a bit overrated, I mean it's not one of the best films I have ever seen or anything like that. But I still think it's one heck of an accomplishment. I mean it's a crime film that revolves around a heist while not even showing the heist and yet it can entertain and entice the audiences is a accomplishment. It shows what happened before and after the heist but not the actual heist itself. What makes this movie stand out is not just the cool dialogues, but it's the stylishly cool and suave style of it all. Plus it does have some iconic scenes some people try to do a parody of, especially the introduction scene where the character walk to their cars. This is a cool, slick and compelling movie that did a lot with the resources they had. Even the acting is top notch, a bit over the top at times but for a film like this it works.

Tarantino's First Is His Best!

Author: IntotheMystic1
15 July 2016

When "Reservoir Dogs" was released in 1992, it was the first time the whole world became aware of a writer/directer called Quentin Tarantino. "Reservoir Dogs" is a stylish bank heist film that hits all the right notes. Loaded with seventies pop hits and cool, slick characters, the film deserves its cult status.

The film centers on a group of career criminals without names. Instead of calling each other by their real names they use colors. The other criminals are unaware that one of their own is a cop. The film primarily takes place in a warehouse where one of the guys lays on the floor bleeding. Tarantino gives us a view of each guy's background in between.

This film is one of the greatest films of all time in my opinion and deservedly so.

an excellent start in the direction pro Quentin Tarantino

Author: Miguel Neto
12 July 2016

Reservoir Dogs already calls the face of attention with the great cast we have in the film, Edward Bunker , Harvey Keitel , Lawrence Tierney , Chris Penn , Michael Madsen , Steve Buscemi , Tim Roth and Quentin Tarantino, who acts and directs , this is also Tarantino 's directorial debut , and could not get better, the script is good, nothing spectacular else is good , the performances are very good, the action scenes that do not give so many are good too, the film has excellent dialogues plus has many useless dialogues and no need for the plot, the chemistry of the actors is good, I found a few moments dragged, most are few, Reservoir Dogs is a very good movie , not enough to be the best of Tarantino , besides being a great start pro Tarantino at the helm. Note 8.0

Low budget gem. Nice flick

Author: Takethispunch from Greenland
10 July 2016

Eight men eat breakfast at a Los Angeles diner before their planned diamond heist. Six of them use aliases: Mr. Blonde, Mr. Blue, Mr. Brown, Mr. Orange, Mr. Pink, and Mr. White. The others are mob boss Joe Cabot, the organizer of the heist, and his son and underboss, "Nice Guy" Eddie Cabot.

After the heist, White drives Orange to the rendezvous, an empty warehouse. Orange is bleeding profusely from a gunshot wound. Pink arrives, agitated; he believes the job was a setup and that the police had the diamond store staked out. White tells Pink that Brown was killed while escaping and that Blue is presumed dead. They discuss Blonde, who murdered several civilians during the heist; White is angry that Joe, an old friend, employed such a "psychopath". Pink reveals that he escaped with the diamonds and hid them in a secure location. They argue over whether to take the unconscious Orange to a hospital.

Blonde arrives and tells them to wait for Eddie. He reveals he has taken a police officer, Marvin Nash, hostage in his trunk; they beat Nash in an attempt to discover the informant. Eddie arrives and orders Pink and White to help him retrieve the diamonds and dispose of the hijacked vehicles, while Blonde stays with Nash and Orange. Alone with Blonde, Nash denies knowledge of a setup. Blonde is uninterested and tortures Nash for his own amusement, severing his ear with a straight razor. He douses him with gasoline, but before he can ignite it, Orange shoots him dead. Orange tells Nash he is an undercover police officer and that police are coming.

A classic like no other

Author: dudu000
27 June 2016

This short and bloody piece of work is completely breathtaking, a legit masterpiece. From the camera positioning to the script everything was brilliant. Unlike some recent overrated movies that are rated by nothing but meaningless violence or exaggerated Vfx, Reservoir Dogs its indeed violent, but in a unprecedented way, using its violence to build a great story with good character's personality development, that's why this movie truly deserves its reputation. In my opinion, the best Tarantino movie so far.

I highly recommend this movie.

Let's go to work.

Author: Gavin Henderson
20 June 2016

As Quentin Tarantino's first completed movie, Reservoir Dogs to this day still stands out as one of the most controversial and successful milestones in film. It's basic plot is that of a bank robbery gone wrong, oh so badly wrong. The cast is amazingly put together with names like Harvey Kietel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen and Steve Buscemi thrown in there and of course the man himself Tarantino makes an iconic contribution to the cast as Mr. Brown. The violence and gore in this movie perfectly lets the audience know what kind of films they could expect from the Q man, and It also opened the gates for so many directors to let them truly relish in their natural violent natures. All in all Reservoir Dogs is a spectacular movie that successfully redefined cinema in the 90's and cemented Tarantino's status as one of the true geniuses of cinema.

Repulsive

Author: Serena Stuart from Canada
8 June 2016

I didn't enjoy this movie one bit. I found this movie to be very boring and absolutely preposterous at times. The only reason I even gave it a 3/10 is because it was so bad it actually made me laugh at times. The story line lacks depth and promotes violence. The hatred that is exhibited for police officers is somewhat repulsive. It was actually painful to watch. The actors did a good job at portraying characters but most of the scenes are so unnecessary and irrelevant that I lost interest in them. This movie is an absolute NO from me! Do not waste the hour and 39 minutes of your lives. I am actually in awe at the amount of people in the reviews describing this movie as a "classic".

Classic Everyone Should See

Author: Aye Aye from Virginia
2 June 2016

One of my all time faves! I could watch this movie so many times and never get tired of it. Mr Pink (Steve Buscemi) is my favorite character in this movie and I don't think I've ever seen him play a character I didn't like.

All of the actors are amazing and definitely did a wonderful job making it a story that will hopefully be known for the rest of time!!! What's interesting is I've looked at almost every option on here including references, spin offs, spoofed in, remade as, and so on but didn't see one of my VERY FAVORITE examples hopefully I just missed it and I'm not the one to inform you that you forgot to mention the music video "Only Right" by Ty Dolla $ign Featuring YG, Joe Moses, and Teecee 4800. Even has the "Deez Nuts" guy in the trunk. Lol. It's so hilarious. I let my son watch the video but when he wanted to know what movie it came from I said he had to wait a couple years for that information.