IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 89: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

If you appreciate your time, just don't watch this

Author: Shawn Crahan from Argentina
17 February 2008

This movie is just nonsense. It goes nowhere, it's incredibly boring and the best thing that can happen to you is that you pray it's over. I just don't get why this is on the IMDb top! Seriously, if you like movies as much as I do, you shouldn't waste your time with this. Not even the 'best' parts are worth it.

If you don't trust me yet, watch the first five minutes of the movie and when you start asking yourself "When is this going to start?" maybe you'll get it. That's how the entire movie is. Completely BORING.

Some people say that one good thing about it is that it focuses on the story behind everything. Don't believe that! You'll find that there are 10-20 minutes scenes that are completely unnecessary (oh sorry... just like the entire film...).

I've seen lots of movies, and maybe I didn't like the 10% of them, because I usually try to see what's behind it, and if there's something, I appreciate it, but this is definitely the worse thing I've come upon.

A Waste of Skill

Author: Mr. Film from Boston
19 May 1999

Many people believe "Reservoir Dogs" is a good film. It is not. Tarantino failed to make it into anything but violence and the combination of music and camera-work. The screenplay was poor, but the lines, or at least the way they were written, were convincing. This film has absolutely no redeeming qualities, and I use the word "redeeming" loosely about movies. Without a doubt, many movies are about nothing and are good. "Dogs" is about a group of men who messed up a bank robbery and went to a warehouse to talk about things and get very angry at each other.

Many find the movie hip, but at best the movie itself is not hip, the pitiful characters may seem to be, but really the only hip character is Mr. White, played by Harvey Keitel. Anyone that thinks supposed professionals who can't do their jobs right, swear a great deal over nothing, get very tense, and lose their cool on a dime work well for a movie centered around nothing in particular are wrong. A very weak film.

not Tarantino's movie at all !!

Author: davidmurray17 from Ireland
13 August 2007

First off... it is clear that this movie is a rip-off. I couldn't believe when i first saw this movie what i was watching. It is a complete word for word Verbatim of Lung F fong wan ( city on fire ) , hong kong action movie starring Chow Yun Fat.. i don't know how he got away with remaking this movie which came out in 1987 by the way, and all the fame he has accumulated since , How Tarantino got any credit for this movie is unbelievable. watch City on Fire first before you start discrediting me please, they are all in it Mr. Blonde,pink,brown,white etc etc ... SHOCKED is what i was when i saw it and look at him now

This movie sucks

Author: peterbiserke from United States
1 May 2006

This movie is beyond terrible. I must say, I found it quite disappointing. I watched it with a (kinda) friend of mine, whom said that this was by far his favorite movie. Of course, I was interested, and asked why, and he responded that I just HAVE TO watch it. Well I must say, the story line was absolutely atrochious. The conversations were indeed hilarious, but yet very random. The openining scene talks about the various women that the men have been with, and what they have done. The first 5 minutes, I thought this would be a great movie. But then from then on, I just got bored. Too much repeated conversation. Then one of the heist members tortures a cop, which I found quite disturbing, watching the cops ear get hacked off, and then almost having a flame lit on him whilst there was gasoline doused all over him. Yes, I must say, this movie was boring... no significant characters, and just way too random. And, as I said before, I must say, this movie was by far below par, and competes for my worst movie ever, compariing with "Spirit" (G movie) From Walt Disney. Don't spend $5 to rent this, or $15 to buy it. This sucks.

One of the worst movies ever made

Author: fubar-2 from Boston
23 October 1998

This repulsive, reprehensible trash for Quentin Tarantino has to rank as one of the worst movies ever made. When I wasn't bored to tears by interminable dialogue, I was repulsed by the glorification of sadism as an alternative life-style. The Marquis De Sade would have been proud. Tarantino should put his talents to suitable use and just make a real 'snuff' film. See 'Clockwork Orange' instead. That is a work of real genius.

Tarantino Lets His 'Dogs' Out in Testosterone-land!

Author: sandnair87 from India
23 April 2015

Tarantino has an almost impenitent appetite for blood-spattered barbarism, we all know that. But in his gritty, brutal crime-caper Reservoir Dogs – a tantalizing debut feature that put the name Quentin Tarantino into the cinematic spotlight - his testosterone level is off every chart, as he happily wallows in his own adolescent love of criminals, violence, and vulgarity. So much so that, the movie appears to be set in a theme park called 'Testosterone-land', where nature isn't only red in tooth and claw, it's black as the heart of man and dank as any rag and bone shop of the human spirit.

Tarantino gets things off to a spectacularly engrossing start, as Reservoir Dogs begins with the iconic sequence involving the coffee- shop banter of six morally ambiguous outlaws. Yes, they are meant to be an urban wild-bunch, but damn, if they aren't charming and charismatic! Decked out in matching black suits and thin black ties, they've been brought together by a mob kingpin specifically to pull off a heist, and they've been kept deliberately ignorant of one another's identities, knowing each other only by their color coded pseudonyms. The heist is to be a one-shot deal - one job and they scatter to the winds. Soon after masterful opening gabfest, when you start settling in with the idea that Tarantino has made a heist movie, he pulls a coup by skipping right over the robbery itself. Instead, it cuts straight to the aftermath, as we find our wolf-pack hole up in a warehouse after the heist goes belly up, each trying to figure out which one of them squawked to the police. Dissension and suspicion run high and soon, it becomes clear to the audience that at least one of these guys is a snitch, but which one?

Tarantino's glitziest stroke in his heist drama is never to show the main event: the film's 'action' occurs after the heist. Tarantino expertly builds tension, interweaving scenes of the aftermath of the thieves' foiled heist with scenes depicting them getting ready for the heist, backtracking in time and point of view half a dozen times. Each flashback reveals just enough information to fill in a piece of the puzzle. His palpable enthusiasm, his unapologetic passion for what he's created reinvigorates this venerable plot and, mayhem aside, makes it involving for longer than you might suspect. His trademarks of amplified violence and vulgar dialogue are in full force, as are the flurry of obscure to not-so-obscure pop culture references woven into the dialogue. Part of the appeal of Reservoir Dogs is the way it makes all of it feel terribly authentic, a veracity that is a tribute to the skill of its actors, particularly Michael Madsen who is awesome as the sadistic yet painfully cool Mr. Blonde and Steve Buscemi who is deadpan funny as the always-on-the- edge Mr. Pink.

Reservoir Dogs grabs you by the throat and digs its claws in deep. It may seem hideously ugly on paper, but in the sure way it's made, it's inconveniently dazzling - driven, beautifully made and completely wacko at once. It's pure outlaw art!

A must see for aspiring filmmakers

Author: ben-246-806006 from United States
18 April 2015

This film gets a 10/10 for a freshman director making his first film. If you plan to become a film director one day this film is a must. Quentin establishes his directorial sensibilities while protecting his vision from ruthless Hollywood producer. Q said he would have made this film with no name talent on 16mm film if the studios had tried to take any control. The direction of vetted Hollywood actors is out of this league for a first timer, but the true artistry comes through the lines on the page. QT used this film to cement the voice that today is inseparable from his own. "Dogs" is not QT's first writing success, he penned and sold the popular Tony Scott movie "True Romance" before he started writing "Dogs". The two films released around the same time and created a wave of buzz for the new director. While the coverage and cinematography are not what you're used to in a QT film, take a look and study the origins of one of America's favorite directors.

You're watching a master at work.

Author: MovieLoversAnonymous from United States
27 March 2015

Reservoir Dogs is one of the greatest bank heist movies that I have ever seen. This genre of film has been sucked dry from over saturation through the years, but there is something very unique about this one that I certainly was not expecting: the heist is never shown.

Reservoir Dogs marks the first in an increasingly impressive list of films directed by Quentin Tarantino. If I had just watched this movie without knowing this piece of information, I would easily be able to recognize his signature style with the highly entertaining dialogue, and long conversations about pop culture throughout the movie. However, I never would guess that this was the very first movie he directed. I still believe Pulp Fiction is his best movie, but if someone told me that the think Reservoir Dogs is better, I wouldn't be able to argue with them very much.

The movie is almost entirely consisting of the members of the heist mission in their hideout, after the heist had already taken place (off camera). The cops had shown up to the scene suspiciously early, and the men start to suspect a rat in their midst. Other than the flashbacks, the entirety (really about 98% of the movie) is composed of conversations between characters. The dialogue in this movie is just as excellent as we have come to expect from a Tarantino film.

The performances by everyone in this movie are stellar in every right, but Steve Buscemi shines the most with outstanding portrayal of Mr. Pink. If you like Tarantino's style of violence mixed with comedy mixed with high amounts of dialogue, you'll love this one. Great movie 9/10 (Oh, and this movie is incredibly quotable too. So there's some extra incentive to watch it if you enjoy that aspect of a movie)

Amazing Movie

Author: superchayan123 from United States
24 March 2015

This movie was much better than expected. When I first heard of this movie I thought it was going to be just about a bank heist, but it ended up being much more. I loved the way the movie was put together( out of order). Quentin did an amazing job with this movie. The only thing I didn't like about the movie was Mr.Pinks fate. I know that this is up to the viewer and makes the movie better, but I think that it is good to know. If he dies then it makes the movie much darker knowing that because of Mr. Orange, everyone would die. Another thing I liked is the intro scene. The choice of music makes this scene much better than it would have been with any other song. The complexion of this movie also is astonishing. The scene where Mr. Blonde cuts off the cops ear shows the characteristics of him.

Tarantino Starts Strong.

Author: powermandan from Canada
11 December 2014

What is a Reservoir Dog? Michael Madsen is one of them. Steve Buscemi is another. What does a reservoir dog mean? I don't know. Tarantino has said during interviews how he got the name but never exactly said the meaning. I don't care what it means, because that's an awesome sounding name! And the Dogs themselves have an awesome image. So the viewer will be suckered into seeing an independent masterpiece. Tarantino knows how to advertise well. All he did was use a bunch of recycled stories and mesh them together to create this. Tarantino had been a movie buff his whole life with no formal or professional training or education in the business. He would just make movies with his friends and gain experience that way. While Reservoir Dogs is probably his easiest film, it is not his worst.

Reservoir Dogs has a very simple concept: six criminals (Keitel, Roth, Buscemi, Madsen, Bunker, Tarantino) are gathered by a gangster and his son (Tierney, Penn) to pull off a major jewel heist. Everything that could go wrong, does as they discover a rat is among them. These kinds of movies have been done, good and bad ones. Even the bad ones hold some suspense as the viewer is curious to see who the bad guy is. Tarantino, being the genius that he is, gives away who the rat is about midway through, but is able to hold the same amount of suspense by showing the movie out of order and the Dogs in huge trouble. Tarantino loved showing his movies out of order. It made them much better than they actually were. If this was in order, it would have been just another brutally fun dark-comedy. Tarantino putting the movie out of order is like adding great background music to simple scenes, making them ten-times better than they actually are.

Tarantino also introduced his knack for dialogue and characterization. If I'm not mistaken, Reservoir Dogs held a record for most f-words in a feature film at approximately 272. That record was broken by Casino in 1995 and again by Wolf of Wall Street in 2013. When I first saw this, I was shocked to hear the f-word be used that many times. When I watched Casino and Wolf of Wall Street, I wasn't really shocked by the foul language like I was in this. I have seen Reservoir Dogs many times since then and the swearing has gotten less shocking for me. Aside from the abundance of swearing, the general dialogue in which these words are placed in are funny and clever. In the opening scene, they talk about the Madonna song, Like A Virgin. A group of thugs would be talking about something weird like an 80's song in a very derogatory manner. The dialogue paves the way for some cool characters. Most may be stereotypes, but the dialogue makes them rise above traditional stereotypes we all know about.

Reservoir Dogs is perhaps best known for its look and style. The Dogs are dressed up in black and white suites with black shades carrying hand-guns. Their hide-out just looks like its the place for a gang-beat to go down. That portion is very iconic and has since it has been mimicked in various games and shows that follow. The rawness and brutality this movie has to offer is what was poked at the most and what I'm poked it. Lots of blood and gore, but very little violence. I have seen this at many video places in the their "action" sections. I felt cheated out. A brutal movie with no violence is a weird combo. Lots of people liked it, but I found this to be a case of "you can't have one without the other."

Anyway, I highly recommend Reservoir Dogs.