IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 88: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

not Tarantino's movie at all !!

Author: davidmurray17 from Ireland
13 August 2007

First off... it is clear that this movie is a rip-off. I couldn't believe when i first saw this movie what i was watching. It is a complete word for word Verbatim of Lung F fong wan ( city on fire ) , hong kong action movie starring Chow Yun Fat.. i don't know how he got away with remaking this movie which came out in 1987 by the way, and all the fame he has accumulated since , How Tarantino got any credit for this movie is unbelievable. watch City on Fire first before you start discrediting me please, they are all in it Mr. Blonde,pink,brown,white etc etc ... SHOCKED is what i was when i saw it and look at him now

This movie sucks

Author: peterbiserke from United States
1 May 2006

This movie is beyond terrible. I must say, I found it quite disappointing. I watched it with a (kinda) friend of mine, whom said that this was by far his favorite movie. Of course, I was interested, and asked why, and he responded that I just HAVE TO watch it. Well I must say, the story line was absolutely atrochious. The conversations were indeed hilarious, but yet very random. The openining scene talks about the various women that the men have been with, and what they have done. The first 5 minutes, I thought this would be a great movie. But then from then on, I just got bored. Too much repeated conversation. Then one of the heist members tortures a cop, which I found quite disturbing, watching the cops ear get hacked off, and then almost having a flame lit on him whilst there was gasoline doused all over him. Yes, I must say, this movie was boring... no significant characters, and just way too random. And, as I said before, I must say, this movie was by far below par, and competes for my worst movie ever, compariing with "Spirit" (G movie) From Walt Disney. Don't spend $5 to rent this, or $15 to buy it. This sucks.

One of the worst movies ever made

Author: fubar-2 from Boston
23 October 1998

This repulsive, reprehensible trash for Quentin Tarantino has to rank as one of the worst movies ever made. When I wasn't bored to tears by interminable dialogue, I was repulsed by the glorification of sadism as an alternative life-style. The Marquis De Sade would have been proud. Tarantino should put his talents to suitable use and just make a real 'snuff' film. See 'Clockwork Orange' instead. That is a work of real genius.

Major disappointment, completely overrated and a film with a trailer better than the actual film. 2/10

Author: Jsedwards93 from New Zealand, Wellington
17 December 2014

Reservoir Dogs was a complete disappointment. Despite the hyped reviews and high rating on IMDb it was nothing special. Mostly consisting of dialogue of pointless banter between the characters dragging out for uncomfortable amounts of time, the story had a weak plot and built up to nothing. Although to be fair the acting was very good, it did not redeem the overall poor script and plot which has its audience checking their watches within the first 30mins. The violence factor was nothing that shocking either, nothing much more you would find in a Bond film.

Personally I do not understand how this film gets good reviews. Please do not be fooled into wasting your time with this bore of a film. I'm surprised that this was not a career-ender for Tarantino.

2/10 Good acting, very boring plot. Overall poor.

One of the most boring movies I have watched

Author: jmcwilson143 from New Zealand
17 December 2014

Highly over rated.

I can't believe it has a 8.4 rating.

The movie literally consists of 70min of dialog about random boring **** with the occasional occurrence of some relatively entertaining segments. However these do not redeem the movie.

If you are deciding on if you should watch the movie of not based on the high reviews given, do not, you will be bored.

p.s.

The trailer pretty much shows the only interesting segments of the movie.

Tarantino Starts Strong.

Author: powermandan from Canada
11 December 2014

What is a Reservoir Dog? Michael Madsen is one of them. Steve Buscemi is another. What does a reservoir dog mean? I don't know. Tarantino has said during interviews how he got the name but never exactly said the meaning. I don't care what it means, because that's an awesome sounding name! And the Dogs themselves have an awesome image. So the viewer will be suckered into seeing an independent masterpiece. Tarantino knows how to advertise well. All he did was use a bunch of recycled stories and mesh them together to create this. Tarantino had been a movie buff his whole life with no formal or professional training or education in the business. He would just make movies with his friends and gain experience that way. While Reservoir Dogs is probably his easiest film, it is not his worst.

Reservoir Dogs has a very simple concept: six criminals (Keitel, Roth, Buscemi, Madsen, Bunker, Tarantino) are gathered by a gangster and his son (Tierney, Penn) to pull off a major jewel heist. Everything that could go wrong, does as they discover a rat is among them. These kinds of movies have been done, good and bad ones. Even the bad ones hold some suspense as the viewer is curious to see who the bad guy is. Tarantino, being the genius that he is, gives away who the rat is about midway through, but is able to hold the same amount of suspense by showing the movie out of order and the Dogs in huge trouble. Tarantino loved showing his movies out of order. It made them much better than they actually were. If this was in order, it would have been just another brutally fun dark-comedy. Tarantino putting the movie out of order is like adding great background music to simple scenes, making them ten-times better than they actually are.

Tarantino also introduced his knack for dialogue and characterization. If I'm not mistaken, Reservoir Dogs held a record for most f-words in a feature film at approximately 272. That record was broken by Casino in 1995 and again by Wolf of Wall Street in 2013. When I first saw this, I was shocked to hear the f-word be used that many times. When I watched Casino and Wolf of Wall Street, I wasn't really shocked by the foul language like I was in this. I have seen Reservoir Dogs many times since then and the swearing has gotten less shocking for me. Aside from the abundance of swearing, the general dialogue in which these words are placed in are funny and clever. In the opening scene, they talk about the Madonna song, Like A Virgin. A group of thugs would be talking about something weird like an 80's song in a very derogatory manner. The dialogue paves the way for some cool characters. Most may be stereotypes, but the dialogue makes them rise above traditional stereotypes we all know about.

Reservoir Dogs is perhaps best known for its look and style. The Dogs are dressed up in black and white suites with black shades carrying hand-guns. Their hide-out just looks like its the place for a gang-beat to go down. That portion is very iconic and has since it has been mimicked in various games and shows that follow. The rawness and brutality this movie has to offer is what was poked at the most and what I'm poked it. Lots of blood and gore, but very little violence. I have seen this at many video places in the their "action" sections. I felt cheated out. A brutal movie with no violence is a weird combo. Lots of people liked it, but I found this to be a case of "you can't have one without the other."

Anyway, I highly recommend Reservoir Dogs.

A violent, viscerally thrilling and ferociously entertaining decade defining masterwork

Author: Rickting from London
6 December 2014

Although I'm not a huge fan of Pulp Fiction, Quentin Tarantino's debut is one of the best independent films of all time. A heist goes horribly wrong and the remaining criminals try to work out who the police informant is. It's set mostly in one location, and as the tension builds in the gangster's hideout the film becomes so unbearably intense it threatens to explode through the screen. Less a film, more a mind blowing, pulse pounding powerhouse, Reservoir Dogs is certainly one of the defining films of the 90s. It's quite a disturbing film at times and those who are squeamish should stay away. The violence makes the movie even more powerful, but it does get nasty at times. The film could be seen as style over substance by some and it won't be everyone's cup of tea; however, you can't really find anything else like it. Aside from Quentin Tarantino's other films of course. The film unfolds in non linear storytelling but unlike with Pulp Fiction, which was non linear just to show off, this adds to the plot and makes it even tenser.

Tarantino has a very dynamic and explosive visual style which enhances the brutal action, and you'll be on the edge of your seat for all 90 minutes. His dialogue is even better though, and he should have won an Oscar for his writing. The script is enthralling to listen to, and it has fine actors speaking the dialogue as well, with Tim Roth being the highlight. Reservoir Dogs is special because it refuses to be boxed in or respond to conventions. It doesn't show the heist properly, the characters are always talking about things irrelevant to the plot and the violence is unflinching and explosive. This kind of movie just isn't seen much... well, ever. It's consistently entertaining from beginning to end (for those who can stomach the violence) and bizarrely enthralling. An extremely energetic and well made film which has deservedly influenced pop culture massively. You may hate it, but you can't deny the power of the dialogue or its originality.

Pretty thrilling

Author: Red_Identity from United States
25 November 2014

It certainly took me long enough to catch Tarantino's debut feature. I've grown to like him less with time. I still absolutely love Inglourious Basterds, and to a lesser extent, Death Proof and kIll Bill, but his others leave me cold. Yes, that includes Pulp Fiction. This is sort of like that. I admire it more than I enjoyed it, and I'm less attuned to his style of filmmaking now than I used to be. The turns in the story are refreshing and it was good that I was still able to be surprised at times. Overall, not a film I loved and not one I totally embrace, but one that I think is more than fine with some great performances (especially Tim Roth).

Brutal

Author: Ben Mansfield (benjomansfield@gmail.com)
24 November 2014

It's rare to see a film that is filled with so much violence and blood that it makes you cringe away every other scene, and yet somehow manages to convey a complex theme from a simple story line. The decay of confidence is followed in 6 men following a botched diamond heist, as they begin to question if they have a police informant among them. The film opens already at the warehouse, and never fully retouches on all the events of the robbery except through dialogue. As the small ties holding the group together fray even further, impulsive actions to find the informant lead the thieves to an Mexican style standoff in which all are shot except one man. As a the police informant slowly dying is cradled by his the one man who trusted him, also dying, the informant admits his guilt, as the movie ends with a closeup on his guardian, the sound of a gunshot and police barging into the warehouse. The final admission of guilt shows the compassion the informant felt for the one man who trusted him, and his final "I'm sorry" shows how even in the thick of bloodshed and violence, humanity can maintain.

Unique

Author: ardhendu_shekhar
13 September 2014

The movie as a whole was very good. But I did not quite love the screenplay, they were satirical correct but in some parts the story was dull. I felt in that way may be it was not the kind I like, but the film quickly makes up for it with the suspense being revealed just after the mid time and the aftermath. The end was quite fantastic but I would have loved if Freddy was not caught. But still the movie is directed in a unique manner and really it needs gut to make movie about heist without showing the heist. The acting I would say was top-class, all the characters were in their character till the last. It felt perfect for the movie, even the dialogues as expected were top notch. As a Whole I just did not like the movie in parts but as a whole it was fantastic but not the kind I would say greatest.