IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 91: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

If you appreciate your time, just don't watch this

Author: Shawn Crahan from Argentina
17 February 2008

This movie is just nonsense. It goes nowhere, it's incredibly boring and the best thing that can happen to you is that you pray it's over. I just don't get why this is on the IMDb top! Seriously, if you like movies as much as I do, you shouldn't waste your time with this. Not even the 'best' parts are worth it.

If you don't trust me yet, watch the first five minutes of the movie and when you start asking yourself "When is this going to start?" maybe you'll get it. That's how the entire movie is. Completely BORING.

Some people say that one good thing about it is that it focuses on the story behind everything. Don't believe that! You'll find that there are 10-20 minutes scenes that are completely unnecessary (oh sorry... just like the entire film...).

I've seen lots of movies, and maybe I didn't like the 10% of them, because I usually try to see what's behind it, and if there's something, I appreciate it, but this is definitely the worse thing I've come upon.

A Waste of Skill

Author: Mr. Film from Boston
19 May 1999

Many people believe "Reservoir Dogs" is a good film. It is not. Tarantino failed to make it into anything but violence and the combination of music and camera-work. The screenplay was poor, but the lines, or at least the way they were written, were convincing. This film has absolutely no redeeming qualities, and I use the word "redeeming" loosely about movies. Without a doubt, many movies are about nothing and are good. "Dogs" is about a group of men who messed up a bank robbery and went to a warehouse to talk about things and get very angry at each other.

Many find the movie hip, but at best the movie itself is not hip, the pitiful characters may seem to be, but really the only hip character is Mr. White, played by Harvey Keitel. Anyone that thinks supposed professionals who can't do their jobs right, swear a great deal over nothing, get very tense, and lose their cool on a dime work well for a movie centered around nothing in particular are wrong. A very weak film.

not Tarantino's movie at all !!

Author: davidmurray17 from Ireland
13 August 2007

First off... it is clear that this movie is a rip-off. I couldn't believe when i first saw this movie what i was watching. It is a complete word for word Verbatim of Lung F fong wan ( city on fire ) , hong kong action movie starring Chow Yun Fat.. i don't know how he got away with remaking this movie which came out in 1987 by the way, and all the fame he has accumulated since , How Tarantino got any credit for this movie is unbelievable. watch City on Fire first before you start discrediting me please, they are all in it Mr. Blonde,pink,brown,white etc etc ... SHOCKED is what i was when i saw it and look at him now

This movie sucks

Author: peterbiserke from United States
1 May 2006

This movie is beyond terrible. I must say, I found it quite disappointing. I watched it with a (kinda) friend of mine, whom said that this was by far his favorite movie. Of course, I was interested, and asked why, and he responded that I just HAVE TO watch it. Well I must say, the story line was absolutely atrochious. The conversations were indeed hilarious, but yet very random. The openining scene talks about the various women that the men have been with, and what they have done. The first 5 minutes, I thought this would be a great movie. But then from then on, I just got bored. Too much repeated conversation. Then one of the heist members tortures a cop, which I found quite disturbing, watching the cops ear get hacked off, and then almost having a flame lit on him whilst there was gasoline doused all over him. Yes, I must say, this movie was boring... no significant characters, and just way too random. And, as I said before, I must say, this movie was by far below par, and competes for my worst movie ever, compariing with "Spirit" (G movie) From Walt Disney. Don't spend $5 to rent this, or $15 to buy it. This sucks.

One of the worst movies ever made

Author: fubar-2 from Boston
23 October 1998

This repulsive, reprehensible trash for Quentin Tarantino has to rank as one of the worst movies ever made. When I wasn't bored to tears by interminable dialogue, I was repulsed by the glorification of sadism as an alternative life-style. The Marquis De Sade would have been proud. Tarantino should put his talents to suitable use and just make a real 'snuff' film. See 'Clockwork Orange' instead. That is a work of real genius.

Yet another worthless effort by Tarantino...

Author: leonardwatson212 from United States
22 June 2007

Unlike most of Tarantino's films this one I would not give a negative rating to. It shares all of the things that I hate about his other films (bouncing around in time & sequence, unnecessary blood & violence, no plot and no resolution) with the rest of his films, but for some reason this one does not make me want to sort my socks instead. I would still say that you should not waste your time watching this movie unless you really just want to waste time. The only redeeming quality of this film is that you can watch this one film and and you will have just seen every Quentin Tarantino movie ever made, because they are all the same. Just be sure that you can handle the violence and the blood because that is about all you are going to get from this film.

If this is a gangster movie where are all the cool robberies that gangsters are supposed to do?

Author: seedofchucky87 from Australia
25 February 2006

People were forcing me to get this movie, so I eventually got it. I watched it waiting for the action and waiting for them to show us the robbery. How can this be called a gangster movie if they don't even show you a robbery? It said everywhere that this movie is a classic. What's classic about it? Robbers who cuss and act childish all the time waffling on about a robbery? All they do is talk and swear for 94 minutes, that's all they do. And it was very predictable who the cop was. There was no surprise. The reason I knew it was Mr. Orange was because Mr. White was treating him like a little 5 year old and he still treated the others like they were a piece of garbage. The direction was poor. The pacing was off. The humor with them discussing body functions and people's religion, etc was way off. They tried too hard to be funny when it came to he humor. There are 2 great songs in this movie, but that's it. The only thing that's original about this movie is the color names. The movie just seemed pointless, especially after the ending. They all shoot each other. What was the point in that? Them waffling on about a robbery, then nd up killing each other? What sense is that? I guess people love Quentin Tarintino so much that they'll accept anything he gives you. The dialog wasn't even good. Gangsters talking about their life and trying to be humorous, BORING!

A lot of people will probably abuse me for this review, but i'm sorry, this is what the film is about and you fall for such poor movies like this. The reason I type this is to also warn others to let them know that you'll be expecting nothing more from this film than gangsters (Who they don't even act like) waffling on about a failed robbery that they don't even show you. 1/10

Bare to the bone and excellent

Author: charleswjoke from Boston
19 November 2015

Reservoir Dogs is a self aware movie that depicts the fallout of a robbery gone wrong. It manages a balance between a detective story to find out who ratted the team out, an aftermath story of finding out who did what and what happened, a crime story with conflicting characters and a heist movie where villains (robbers) organize a heist. This film is an exciting story of betrayal and of humane trust and sadistic violence. Quentin Tarantino weaves a web of stories together to make pragmatic characters and situation where the viewer struggles with the moral choice of right and wrong. Of course, the choice is all in the audiences head where they root for morally flawed characters that are all acted with gusto by their respective actors. This story is the simplest that Tarantino has brought to screen but I enjoyed every second of its minimalist structure as it permits the viewing to become much more personal.

What a Debut

Author: Rob Starzec from United States
15 November 2015

It's very rare that we see a director establish him- or herself as a true talent with their first theatrical release. Not only did Tarantino establish himself as a great storyteller with the release of Reservoir Dogs, he also gave us a glimpse of his distinct artistic voice that we would anticipate in the years to come. He specifically set a trend in the use of dialogue which reminds us of everyday conversations yet is simultaneously layered with subtext and analogies.

The opening sequence establishes Tarantino's master of dialogue perfectly. While the conventional director might open a robbery film with a scene which highlights the plan for the robbery, Tarantino strays away from exposition. Instead, we get a lengthy conversation in which the robbers analyze a song, discuss the ethics of tipping waitresses, and make pop culture references. What does this do? It establishes the characters as human beings and gives them life instead of having the boss merely explain the plot to the robbers, who would substitute for the audience.

This might have to do entirely with the fact that the film had a low budget, but Tarantino essentially uses one location for about two thirds of the film. He is still able to establish an intricate and very tense story revolving around the idea that one of the robbers suspects an undercover cop is amongst them. The set design is simple - an abandoned warehouse - so the visual creativity of the film is mostly in the cinematography, but even with that, the heavy use of the warehouse as a setting makes this come across as more of a play, which it should. The dialogue is the driving force of this film, and while the characters may discuss plot at points (I hate it when movies rely on explanations of the plot through dialogue, a la Inception) it is only done when it is necessary. The rest of the dialogue reveals much more about the characters than visuals could provide in this film, and hey, I'm okay with that.

One problem I have with the film is the fact that while this film revolves around a group of robbers we never learn too much about two of the robbers since they are hardly in the movie. In fact, one of them only has a few lines in the opening conversation scene of the film. The absence of that character would hardly change the meaning of the film at all, which is why I wish we would have gotten to know him a bit more. I understand side characters, but in a film about a group of robbers, the entire group should have a significant part in the film as an ensemble cast.

A great directorial debut for Quentin Tarantino, Reservoir Dogs shines as a surprising hit for a crime film with such a low budget and as a huge influence on the manner of dialogue used in crime films between its release and present day.

A fantastic crime film

Author: alindsay-al from United Kingdom
29 October 2015

Quentin Tarantino is one of the most iconic directors of all time and with the hateful eight coming up I thought I would watch his first film reservoir dogs. The premise of this film sees six strangers come together to pull off a heist. When it goes wrong the crew suspect that one of them is a police informant. Harvey Keitel plays Mr white and he is great in this film. He plays the wise leader of the group and he is the character you care about the most because he had the most humanity about him. Tom Roth plays Mr orange and his relationship with white is one of the big stories of the film and I really liked the teacher/student dynamic. His character was interesting and you learn allot about him and the others in this film. Michael Madsen plays Mr blonde and he was really good as the crazy member of the group that is willing to do anything to get the job done. Steve buscemi plays Mr pink and he was a different character because he really plays a slimeball and it really worked within the dynamic of the group. The story though is a bit of a mixed bag, I love the dynamic in the group and the first scene in the film really gives you all the information about the characters that you need. However, I do feel like the film spent a bit too much time on the flashbacks and the reveal of this film was actually pretty predictable. The script was fantastic, with the dialogue between the characters feeling real and very witty with allot of drama involved in the film. The style of the film has been criticised for being over violent which I think is ridiculous. All the violence is used in a very good way and the torture scene is probably the best ever. Overall this is one of tarantinos best and should definitely be seen.