IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 90: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Author: john smith from London
12 November 2001

I thought it was boring, rambling and way over rated - and I did watch it three times to see whether I'd missed something as everyone was raving about it.

It wasn't THAT original. Was it?

The expectation of many people telling you to go and see was a bit too much for me, I think just maybe there must have been something deeply subliminal in the film, and my brain just doesn't have that part.

If you appreciate your time, just don't watch this

Author: Shawn Crahan from Argentina
17 February 2008

This movie is just nonsense. It goes nowhere, it's incredibly boring and the best thing that can happen to you is that you pray it's over. I just don't get why this is on the IMDb top! Seriously, if you like movies as much as I do, you shouldn't waste your time with this. Not even the 'best' parts are worth it.

If you don't trust me yet, watch the first five minutes of the movie and when you start asking yourself "When is this going to start?" maybe you'll get it. That's how the entire movie is. Completely BORING.

Some people say that one good thing about it is that it focuses on the story behind everything. Don't believe that! You'll find that there are 10-20 minutes scenes that are completely unnecessary (oh sorry... just like the entire film...).

I've seen lots of movies, and maybe I didn't like the 10% of them, because I usually try to see what's behind it, and if there's something, I appreciate it, but this is definitely the worse thing I've come upon.

A Waste of Skill

Author: Mr. Film from Boston
19 May 1999

Many people believe "Reservoir Dogs" is a good film. It is not. Tarantino failed to make it into anything but violence and the combination of music and camera-work. The screenplay was poor, but the lines, or at least the way they were written, were convincing. This film has absolutely no redeeming qualities, and I use the word "redeeming" loosely about movies. Without a doubt, many movies are about nothing and are good. "Dogs" is about a group of men who messed up a bank robbery and went to a warehouse to talk about things and get very angry at each other.

Many find the movie hip, but at best the movie itself is not hip, the pitiful characters may seem to be, but really the only hip character is Mr. White, played by Harvey Keitel. Anyone that thinks supposed professionals who can't do their jobs right, swear a great deal over nothing, get very tense, and lose their cool on a dime work well for a movie centered around nothing in particular are wrong. A very weak film.

not Tarantino's movie at all !!

Author: davidmurray17 from Ireland
13 August 2007

First off... it is clear that this movie is a rip-off. I couldn't believe when i first saw this movie what i was watching. It is a complete word for word Verbatim of Lung F fong wan ( city on fire ) , hong kong action movie starring Chow Yun Fat.. i don't know how he got away with remaking this movie which came out in 1987 by the way, and all the fame he has accumulated since , How Tarantino got any credit for this movie is unbelievable. watch City on Fire first before you start discrediting me please, they are all in it Mr. Blonde,pink,brown,white etc etc ... SHOCKED is what i was when i saw it and look at him now

This movie sucks

Author: peterbiserke from United States
1 May 2006

This movie is beyond terrible. I must say, I found it quite disappointing. I watched it with a (kinda) friend of mine, whom said that this was by far his favorite movie. Of course, I was interested, and asked why, and he responded that I just HAVE TO watch it. Well I must say, the story line was absolutely atrochious. The conversations were indeed hilarious, but yet very random. The openining scene talks about the various women that the men have been with, and what they have done. The first 5 minutes, I thought this would be a great movie. But then from then on, I just got bored. Too much repeated conversation. Then one of the heist members tortures a cop, which I found quite disturbing, watching the cops ear get hacked off, and then almost having a flame lit on him whilst there was gasoline doused all over him. Yes, I must say, this movie was boring... no significant characters, and just way too random. And, as I said before, I must say, this movie was by far below par, and competes for my worst movie ever, compariing with "Spirit" (G movie) From Walt Disney. Don't spend $5 to rent this, or $15 to buy it. This sucks.

One of the worst movies ever made

Author: fubar-2 from Boston
23 October 1998

This repulsive, reprehensible trash for Quentin Tarantino has to rank as one of the worst movies ever made. When I wasn't bored to tears by interminable dialogue, I was repulsed by the glorification of sadism as an alternative life-style. The Marquis De Sade would have been proud. Tarantino should put his talents to suitable use and just make a real 'snuff' film. See 'Clockwork Orange' instead. That is a work of real genius.

Yet another worthless effort by Tarantino...

Author: leonardwatson212 from United States
22 June 2007

Unlike most of Tarantino's films this one I would not give a negative rating to. It shares all of the things that I hate about his other films (bouncing around in time & sequence, unnecessary blood & violence, no plot and no resolution) with the rest of his films, but for some reason this one does not make me want to sort my socks instead. I would still say that you should not waste your time watching this movie unless you really just want to waste time. The only redeeming quality of this film is that you can watch this one film and and you will have just seen every Quentin Tarantino movie ever made, because they are all the same. Just be sure that you can handle the violence and the blood because that is about all you are going to get from this film.

Brutal, but well made

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
6 October 2015

"Reservoir Dogs" doesn't have the entertainment value of other Tarantino movies (I don't come to this for 100 minutes of escapism). But what it does have is serious cheek. Scratch that, what I really mean is cojones. This movie does a terrific job amping the tension in spartan dialogue scenes, and an even better job commanding your attention with a snap of its figurative fingers. When it's not a bunch of gangsters jawing about pop culture over coffee, it's one of them bleeding out in the backseat of a car, or another taking to a cop with a switchblade (effective ruining "Stuck in the Middle with You" for me).

It's that kind of visceral punch to the face and methodical enjoyment of sadism that this movie prides itself on. And the camera work (a simple pull back to reveal a looming sense of dread, roving camera during a tense warehouse standoff) is the mark of a director who knows how to captivate his audience. The hard-edge-to-fun balance is off for me, which is why I don't make this regular Tarantino viewing, but no question he was on his game here.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
26 September 2015

Reservoir Dogs is the debut film from legendary Director, Quinton Tarantino, and that's why it's taken me such a long time to see it. Most Directors, even the great ones, aren't always successful right out of the gate. In fact, it's a very rare thing to accomplish, but I should have known that if anyone could do it, Tarantino could. In his signature style, Tarantino heavily uses flashbacks to piece together an amazing story of a heist gone bad. The score of a lifetime is at Joe Cabot's fingertips, so he puts together a crew of six of the best criminals his city has to offer. To make sure nothing goes wrong, everyone remains anonymous and is given a nicknames. Right from the start of the film, we know that something has gone terribly wrong, but what happened? That we'll eventually find out in pieces, through flashbacks, in a style that is pure Tarantino. Even in his first film, you can see the style, classic lines, and intriguing that made Tarantino the household name that he is. Aside from flashbacks, the other thing Tarantino is known for, is putting together unlikely casts, that turn out to be perfect for the roles they are in. Harvey Kaitel as Mr. White, may very well be the best of the lot. Kaitel is at the top of his game, and while older and unlikely to be the leader of the group, he turns out to be much more, including the star of this film. Reservoir Dogs is nearly twenty-five years old and it is still as exciting and relevant today as it was then. I never thought anything would ever come close to topping Pulp Fiction as my favorite Tarantino film, but Reservoir Dogs certainly makes a compelling argument for the top spot on that list.

Author: writenact from United States
25 September 2015

Not a bad film, just not what I would call a masterpiece. It confirms, however, the fact Quentin Tarantino is a film version of a Sam Shepard/David Mamet. Wordy and bloody, the whole thing is not what I would call masterpiece. However, it's not terrible film. Each performance is rock solid; not a bad one in the bunch. The script is classic Tarantino; lots of talk and at times scenes play out like black box theater. Despite all of this, I wouldn't care to see this again and again. A nice piece of cinema, but it would almost play out better in a theater, where dialogue is much more important. But even with the dialogue, it still is just...meh.