IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 87: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Classic Tarantino Crime Caper

Author: chUCK vouvalis (badmop@hotmail.com) from tampa, florida
8 March 1999

Simply put, "Reservoir Dogs" is one of the greatest movies ever made. This 1992 predecessor to 1994's "Pulp Fiction" is truly in a class by itself. This film has been a blueprint for basically every other wanna-be-like-Tarantino movie made in the last seven or so odd years. The acting is truly superb. Every one of the main characters turn in top-notch performances. Harvey Keitel's turn as the o'er-the-hill criminal MR WHITE is perhaps his best ever. Micheal Madsen's take as the psychopathic MR BLONDE is perhaps one of the most realistically frightening performances I've ever seen. This was truly the role he was born to play.

Rounding out the cast, you have the always enjoyable Steve Buscemi (MR PINK), Tarantino favorite Tim Roth (MR ORANGE), Tarantino favorite Quentin Tarantino (MR BROWN), Chris Penn as NICE GUY EDDIE and finally.....(whew)....Lawrence Tierney as the cranky mob boss JOE CABOT. The cast is utterly superb.

One aspect of Tarantino's is his ability to say so much with so little. Though the scene involving MR BLONDE'S shooting spree is never actually seen in the film, it is all too easy to picture Micheal Madsen in his JoeKool shtick, blasting holes into anything moving with eerie unemotional detachment. Tarantino BUILDS his characters with amazing style. (see Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, etc...) MR WHITE'S compassionate struggle to protect and save the life of MR ORANGE is gutwrenchingly moving. True "honor among thieves" type stuff here.

All in all, this movie is a classic. Be cool.....man.

The antithesis of a masterpiece

Author: hockeyguy299 from United States
13 June 2010

If you are a human being with any ounce of intelligence, I plead for you to read this and heed my warning. This movie was truly pathetic in all respects. I have absolutely lost all respect for Quentin Tarantino. His obsession with blood only allows the film to disrespect my eyes more. The plot is so full of holes that it is just ridiculous. I am so disappointed that I don't believe I will ever watch a movie by this director again. Watching this after 'Inglourious Basterds' made dissatisfaction even more unbearable. My advice: watch the first 45 minutes of this film and simply shut off the television. Ponder for several minutes as to the end result, but do not, under any circumstances, finish this calamity. I would not want to hear any more reports of self-mutilation or people gouging out their own eyeballs. Furthermore, for those of my unfortunate brethren who have had the hardship of viewing this catastrophe, answer me this: Who shoots Eddie? I advise all of those who agree with this rating to rate this movie as well, for there is simply no way that we can allow such a fallacious good rating to exist.

Anything For Attention!!!

Author: dataconflossmoor from United States
9 November 2007

When viewing information about different movies, and their respective reviews on this website, officials posted that this movie was likened to the film "Diner". At first, I found this to be a very peculiar comparison!! The minute I popped this movie into the DVD player, I realized the similarity to both movies, particularly with regards to the introductory dialog... I like this type of opening scene, the gist of it being whereby the incongruity of conversation effectively depicts the twisted character portrayals of the pivotal actors in the film !! The camera angles to the coffee shop pontifications, as illustrated in "Diner" and in "Resevoir Dogs", were extremely poignant!! As was the case with "Diner", "Resevoir Dogs" depicted an overtly energetic camaraderie with everyone conversing at the coffee shop table. The film, "Diner" provided a succinct illustration of kindred spirits which were precocious, with "Resevoir Dogs" the bonds were rather macabre!! Focusing now on "Resevoir Dogs", that guy who was adamant about not tipping the waitress struck an intensely sensitive nerve cord with me, as I used to be in the food and beverage industry. How did I feel about that guy? Put it this way, if he thinks his manner of killing someone is gruesome and sickening, once a bunch of bartenders get a hold of him, he ain't seen nothing yet... While I detest the term "ain't" as it is a colloquialism for the illiterate, it is seemingly appropriate in this case!! Speaking of colloquialisms, this movie was full of them. The F word was habitually used in the film "Resevoir Dogs", in fact it was the movie's favorite colloquialism!! The F word is basically an interjection, however, the usage of the F word demonstrates an amazing versatility which accommodates virtually every part of speech, it is very amenable when used a as a gerund as well!! Such an excessive use of this word in "Resevoir Dogs" bares a precarious resemblance to the movie "The Departed"... My G-Rated euphemisms are not displayed here because I am so delicate, rather, it is because I am aware of IMDb's comment guidelines!! This film was about a bunch of reprobates who were amused by their irrational conclusions, and delving into a complacently convoluted logic became their favorite hobby!! Why were all of the characters in this movie so thwarted? Come on!! I have to be at another appointment in about a half an hour!! When someone talks about seriously engaging in a first class felony, they get attention, once they totter with the idea of murder, people are all ears, at least they should be!! Such lamentations evoke a very lethal excoriation against the "establishment". Quentin Tarrantino directs this film, and, he is without a doubt, an unprecedented cannon of creativity!! His overall motif of blood and violence is his notoriously successful trademark, "Pulp Fiction" being his prize piece!! While compared to the movie "Diner" I may be one of the few who likes "Diner" better, of course, I am civilized!! Nevertheless, "Resevoir Dogs" is a remarkably well made movie which tries to use the recreation of murder as the ultimate and prevailing diatribe of circumstantial justification!! It ("Resevoir Dogs") has an innovative approach to larceny, and a criminal's code of ethics!! You watch "Resevoir Dogs", I will guarantee you that you will not be bored!! The acting, the directing, and the aggregate creation of this film, falls into the category of sensational entertainment... I give this film a perfect ten!! See it when you're angry!!

Hype

Author: john smith from London
12 November 2001

I thought it was boring, rambling and way over rated - and I did watch it three times to see whether I'd missed something as everyone was raving about it.

It wasn't THAT original. Was it?

The expectation of many people telling you to go and see was a bit too much for me, I think just maybe there must have been something deeply subliminal in the film, and my brain just doesn't have that part.

Hype.

If you appreciate your time, just don't watch this

Author: Shawn Crahan from Argentina
17 February 2008

This movie is just nonsense. It goes nowhere, it's incredibly boring and the best thing that can happen to you is that you pray it's over. I just don't get why this is on the IMDb top! Seriously, if you like movies as much as I do, you shouldn't waste your time with this. Not even the 'best' parts are worth it.

If you don't trust me yet, watch the first five minutes of the movie and when you start asking yourself "When is this going to start?" maybe you'll get it. That's how the entire movie is. Completely BORING.

Some people say that one good thing about it is that it focuses on the story behind everything. Don't believe that! You'll find that there are 10-20 minutes scenes that are completely unnecessary (oh sorry... just like the entire film...).

I've seen lots of movies, and maybe I didn't like the 10% of them, because I usually try to see what's behind it, and if there's something, I appreciate it, but this is definitely the worse thing I've come upon.

A Waste of Skill

Author: Mr. Film from Boston
19 May 1999

Many people believe "Reservoir Dogs" is a good film. It is not. Tarantino failed to make it into anything but violence and the combination of music and camera-work. The screenplay was poor, but the lines, or at least the way they were written, were convincing. This film has absolutely no redeeming qualities, and I use the word "redeeming" loosely about movies. Without a doubt, many movies are about nothing and are good. "Dogs" is about a group of men who messed up a bank robbery and went to a warehouse to talk about things and get very angry at each other.

Many find the movie hip, but at best the movie itself is not hip, the pitiful characters may seem to be, but really the only hip character is Mr. White, played by Harvey Keitel. Anyone that thinks supposed professionals who can't do their jobs right, swear a great deal over nothing, get very tense, and lose their cool on a dime work well for a movie centered around nothing in particular are wrong. A very weak film.

not Tarantino's movie at all !!

Author: davidmurray17 from Ireland
13 August 2007

First off... it is clear that this movie is a rip-off. I couldn't believe when i first saw this movie what i was watching. It is a complete word for word Verbatim of Lung F fong wan ( city on fire ) , hong kong action movie starring Chow Yun Fat.. i don't know how he got away with remaking this movie which came out in 1987 by the way, and all the fame he has accumulated since , How Tarantino got any credit for this movie is unbelievable. watch City on Fire first before you start discrediting me please, they are all in it Mr. Blonde,pink,brown,white etc etc ... SHOCKED is what i was when i saw it and look at him now

This movie sucks

Author: peterbiserke from United States
1 May 2006

This movie is beyond terrible. I must say, I found it quite disappointing. I watched it with a (kinda) friend of mine, whom said that this was by far his favorite movie. Of course, I was interested, and asked why, and he responded that I just HAVE TO watch it. Well I must say, the story line was absolutely atrochious. The conversations were indeed hilarious, but yet very random. The openining scene talks about the various women that the men have been with, and what they have done. The first 5 minutes, I thought this would be a great movie. But then from then on, I just got bored. Too much repeated conversation. Then one of the heist members tortures a cop, which I found quite disturbing, watching the cops ear get hacked off, and then almost having a flame lit on him whilst there was gasoline doused all over him. Yes, I must say, this movie was boring... no significant characters, and just way too random. And, as I said before, I must say, this movie was by far below par, and competes for my worst movie ever, compariing with "Spirit" (G movie) From Walt Disney. Don't spend $5 to rent this, or $15 to buy it. This sucks.

One of the worst movies ever made

Author: fubar-2 from Boston
23 October 1998

This repulsive, reprehensible trash for Quentin Tarantino has to rank as one of the worst movies ever made. When I wasn't bored to tears by interminable dialogue, I was repulsed by the glorification of sadism as an alternative life-style. The Marquis De Sade would have been proud. Tarantino should put his talents to suitable use and just make a real 'snuff' film. See 'Clockwork Orange' instead. That is a work of real genius.

Unique

Author: ardhendu_shekhar
13 September 2014

The movie as a whole was very good. But I did not quite love the screenplay, they were satirical correct but in some parts the story was dull. I felt in that way may be it was not the kind I like, but the film quickly makes up for it with the suspense being revealed just after the mid time and the aftermath. The end was quite fantastic but I would have loved if Freddy was not caught. But still the movie is directed in a unique manner and really it needs gut to make movie about heist without showing the heist. The acting I would say was top-class, all the characters were in their character till the last. It felt perfect for the movie, even the dialogues as expected were top notch. As a Whole I just did not like the movie in parts but as a whole it was fantastic but not the kind I would say greatest.