IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 89: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Great for some dogs

Author: Cool Awesome (dymondstout) from United States
30 August 2014

I really liked this movie because most movies shows during the robbery that gone wrong but this shows the aftermath. The characters here are fully developed and they work well with each other. If you like a crime movie and is okay with blood and curse words this is a movie for you. This a great movie and I think this is the movie that inspired people to do names like Mr. Blue, Mr,orange, and etc. In the movie Mr. Blonde is the psycho one, while M. White is the compassion one, Mr.Pink in the one that wants to contain the peace, Mr. Orange is the maybe or maybe not the least expected to be a rat, and I don't know much about Mr. Brown, and Mr. Blue.

A different perspective to a crime movie but boring!

Author: fuliamis from Turkey
20 July 2014

Since it is a Quentin Tarantino movie, I had watch this film with great expectations.May be, this is the reason that I disappointed. Truly, I always thought that "how can I not watch this movie" it is a shameful thing to do for a film fan=)

In many terms this movie is beyond its time. Different shot techniques, involvement of the story, dialogs, the beginning of the movie, everything was really different and good about this movie. Especially for a crime movie.

But (a big one) the "Reservoir Dogs" is not a fluent movie. Except the scenes that Mr. Orange tells about the "joke", dialogs were boring, so that i wanted to skip some scenes for a several times, but i didn't.

In many terms you should see it but, first you should prepare yourselves if you have high expectations.

One of the best debuts of all time.

Author: eddie052010
5 July 2014

A debut film is an important film in a director's career as not only can it introduce the film industry to a new talent, but also can give us an idea of what that director will later bring to the film industry's table. Whether it'll be a great career whose legacy will live on forever, or a frightening one that will give the industry a bad name, the debut can give us an idea of what we can expect from a newcomer. The former definitely applies to Reservoir Dogs. Made by a film geek with a tiny budget and a stellar cast, the film became a staple, not only of the independent cinema scene, but of the entire film industry in general. Critics and audiences raved and the film has gone down as one of the best films of all time. But is it worthy of that praise? Completely. While not being one of the best films ever made, the film is certainly a great one, with a great script, acting and direction.

The plot is that a bunch of gangsters, only identified by colour, attempt to pull off the perfect heist, but it all goes horribly wrong, as the cops have been alerted. After regrouping at their rendezvous point, the gangsters, reduced in their numbers and extremely paranoid, try to figure out what went wrong. What follows is a complex plot involving tortured cops, betrayals, and bubblegum pop from the 70's. The plot works really well here, as it keeps you interested in to what's going on and the non-linear approach helps to do so by filling in the blanks of the plot, and it all gels together perfectly. It also helps that the plot has many surprises, twists and a lot of tension throughout.

The rest of the writing is also very impressive. The dialogue may seem bizarre, considering that often the characters talk more about Pam Grier, tipping and Maddonna than anything else, but it is very clever and very quirky dialogue, which can often be very funny, and surprisingly, there are more laughs throughout the film (especially the opening scene) than you'd think, but the funny moments and the more suspenseful moments are balanced out perfectly, as each allows their own time to shine, and the film is smart enough to not veer too much into one genre or the other.

Unfortunately though, the characters don't hold up as well. Outside of Mr. Blonde and Mr. Orange, none of the characters have much teeth to them, and aren't very different from one another in terms of how they speak and how their personalities are constructed, as the actors alone the only thing that differentiates these characters apart. That said, some of the characters are well rounded, particularly Mr. Blonde and Mr. Orange, especially the former as the writing and Michael Madsen combine to create a character who is charming and charismatic, despite being psychotic and he definitely leaves an impact even if he has limited screen time. Mr. Orange as well is pretty interesting, being a smart-ass who is overly confident and because of this, gets more than he bargained for.

The style is also pretty cool as well. The film has a brilliant soundtrack, has great moments of exploitation violence and shows some smart ideas, particularly the ending, which is impressive for a first time director. The film may mostly take place in a warehouse, but there is more drama, excitement and hilarity in this one setting than many globe trotting summer blockbusters. Transformers, anyone?

Overall, this is a great debut, and deserves all the praise it gets and more. Despite some missteps (ie flat characters and a few plot holes), this is a masterpiece that stands as a great work of art, and gave us a taste of what to come from the great mind of Quentin Tarantino.

A True Masterpiece..!

Author: blitzed97 from United States
3 July 2014

I Downloaded this movie expecting it to be just another movie about a heist, i don't watch a lot of Crime movies, but this one blew me away..

I was at the edge of my seat at every scene, every actor nails the part, i watched this movie expecting to see the full heist including what went wrong, i was wrong, but i was happy about it, they took the time that was supposed to be the middle of the heist and replaced it with all the things that transpired after the failed heist,Quentin Tarantino now has one extra fan.

This is my first time writing a review, i know a movie is worth it when i go ahead and spend the time after i watch the movie writing a review for it, if you're on the fence on whether you should spend your time watching this, let me knock you off the fence and say go for it, Every minute passes you'll be wishing for the movie not to end,Quentin Tarantino made an amazing masterpiece that shall not be forgotten.

a masterpiece for the crime genre

Author: lukemcn1995 from United Kingdom
3 July 2014

with this simple, bloody, and artistic masterpiece Quentin Tarantino tells the movie world with his directional debut that he is here, and he is here to stay, as perhaps one of the greatest artistically diverse directors of recent memory.

the characters of this film are some of the most memorable and quotable of film history, with so many scenes that just ooze coolness, amazing scripting, and subtle creativity that leaves the viewer wanting to see more and more of Tarantino. But perhaps the stand-out characters of this movie are not the criminal yet moral Mr. White, or the young cop Mr. Orange, no, the true stars of this movie are Mr. Blonde and Mr. Pink. Mr. Blonde, aka Vic Vega, is a calm, sadistic psychopathic killer disguised as a professional criminal - and the scene in which he tortures Marvin Nash will continually echo throughout the halls of film history as one that blends black comedy, gore, and excellent acting into one of the most memorable moments of cinema. In this, Madsen effortlessly depicts a man who takes nothing but pleasure from the pure torture of an innocent man, who in turn is revealed to be an unsung hero, for keeping the identity of Mr. Orange a secret. But Madsen's dancing to Stealer's Wheels stuck in the middle with you, is so subtly funny, that we almost do not feel sympathy for the poor cop who is robbed of his ear, yet, whilst we follow the scene from his perspective, our attentions are purely concerned with Madsen's subtle insanity. Indeed, you do ask yourself; ''why would Joe hire a guy like that?''

Mr. Pink however is the standout character of this movie; Steve Bescumi steals the show, and Tarantino leaves much to the imagination with this ambiguous and rat-like character. In a movie that is so direct in its dialogue and gore, we might almost forget about the art-work Tarantino puts into his presentation of Mr. Pink, which, in my opinion, is absolutely flawless. The opening ''tip-scene'' sets up Mr. Pink as the outside of the group, the one who applies methodical thought to his actions and reasoning, the one who will stick to his principles regardless of what the other characters are doing, and this scene alone, separates the wolf from the ''dogs''. You would never think it though would you, as Keitel's Mr. White humorously kicks the man on the floor, he looks rather helpless, squirming around, trying to find his gun to turn the odds in his favour - as the iconic image of the two men pointing their guns at each other shows us, even when he's down, Mr. Pink is ever resourceful. He is the only lead character whose identity is a mystery to us; he is an entity, we know almost nothing about this character, yet, he is the only one to escape, he is the winner of this film, leaving his partners in crime dead and bloody as he crawls away with the diamonds. The nothingness that consumes our knowledge of this character's profile is what makes him the movies defining star; he is the only man who does not reveal his identity, he follows the rules, stays, as he would say ''professional'', and for following his principles, he has emerged victorious - remember what I was saying about the tipping scene? He is the lone man who remains calm, who remains moderately objective and reasonable to the situation, as I say, emerging victorious.

Overall, Tarantino's debut is one of subtly, and yet one of brutality, that makes the most of its characters, its dialogue, its soundtrack, and , if nothing else, its awe inspiring camera work - which is textbook for any director to follow if they want to know how to use a camera.

Doesn't deserve the high ratings

Author: Dejan K from Canada
2 July 2014

Judging by how entertained I was and how interested I was in the story, this film just ranks in between bad to mediocre. Great camera-work and scene transitions, like a work of art, and hey the film's high ratings may entirely be based on that so maybe I'm wrong with my negative review. However, the positives don't change the fact that the plot doesn't progress farther nor show more intelligence than a comic strip. The acting is great, but the plot just isn't there to hold it all together.

By the end I know almost nothing about the characters, don't care to know, and have no interest in knowing any of their stories. Everything is just a big pile of "meh". The violence just seems abrupt and needless, which is I suppose an intentional metaphor, I get that. Still, the violence is kind of overdone. I really did try to like this film. I was expecting a great movie since it's rated so highly with so many votes, but I was disappointed. Some great dialogue in there, but it's a film I don't want to watch twice. This ain't no Pulp Fiction, folks. Pulp Fiction draws you in and holds on tight, Reservoir Dogs just beats the snot out of you and leaves you on the floor a bloody mess. By the end you feel the meaninglessness of violence, true, but also the meaninglessness of the film, equally.

The birth of Quentin Tarantino's cinema: The film that proved his brilliance and originality!

Author: dom-lerose-8
1 July 2014

Quentin Tarantino is a man of original cinema. At the 1992 Sundance Film Festival, the world was vulnerable to his cinematic talent and triggered a legacy of classic films. 'Reservoir Dogs' is Tarantino's first feature film. Eight gangster's plan a huge heist that goes terribly wrong in which the cops start chasing them down, trust is broken between the eight men, and violence erupts like a volcano. All eight men keep their personal lives private, and it's so private that they have fake names. Each one is a color! Mr.White is Harvey Keitel, a short-tempered but conscience thief. Mr.Pink is Steve Buscemi, a whinny and cynical sneaky crook who has great dialog and is teased by the other men due to his "gay" name. Mr. Orange is an undercover cop working in on the men to take them down. He is very shy young man at first, but soon forms a relationship with Mr.White who guides and looks out for him. Orangey is played by Tim Roth. The last main character is Mr.Blonde, a cold-hearted and violent man who has absolutely no conscience and is absolutely terrifying. Michael Madsen delivers a chilling performance as this killer. The other four men are very minor characters, which is good so that you don't have too much character development to drag out the story. The way Trantino writes out the story is perfect. The story is all about the events that take place after the crime instead of leading up to the crime and during the crime like most stories would go. This film shows the long, realistic results that erupt as a result of crime. Each main character is given a tremendously entertaining background before they started working for their old-school boss Joe. Tarantino gives great character development and classic QT dialog that leads into hilarious conversations. After funny sequences, you'll have shocking gun-violence and chilling tension that gives a realistic nature to life. Not all crime films have to be serious serious serious, instead they contain realistic people who outside of their crime are just goofy guys! Quentin Tarantino directs great sequences from the opening diner scene, to the cool slow-motion walking scene, to the intense shootings. You'll enjoy his skillful directing. 'Reservoir Dogs' is a cult-classic that is a uniquely put together crime film that never gets old. Quentin Tarantino is a skillful filmmaker and in order to appreciate his modern works, you have to see his origin.

Stuck in the middle with you

Author: Larissa Pierry (tangietangerine) from Brazil
26 June 2014

Tarantino is one of my favorite directors, and he couldn't have landed a more powerful debut film than Reservoir Dogs. It must have been really exciting to see, in 1992, this new wonderful kind of filmmaking arise. The great thing about his movies is that they're always so fresh, so authentic. I've heard some people say he does nothing but plagiarize from the classics, I couldn't disagree more. Besides paying homage to his favorite movies and directors, he ends up subverting whatever contemporary notions we may have of movie-making, and creating something new out of it. He simply blows our mind with a totally unexpected script, characters, dialog and plot twists.

By the way, his bloody plot twists are the best (so are his long and genius dialogs). Like he answered as to why his movies always feature a great amount of graphic violence: "because it's so much fun!" Tarantino succeeds in casting nothing but a pack of great actors, something else to prove the quality of his work. Tim Roth gives one of the best monologue performances I've ever seen. Everyone else is just great, be it separate or together. One of the best moments is the initial scene, with that discussion over the meaning of "Like a Virgin", or the discussion about the assigned color names, just typical Tarantino. Also, the unexpected ending, I doubt people were accustomed to see that much blood in Hollywood flicks, maybe not since the 70's exploitations.

And if we pay enough attention, there's a "classical" feel to it, be it from the special "team" of con men put together to rob the jewelry store, or by Pam Grier being brought on during a conversation - and, of course, there's "K-Billy's Super Sounds of the 70's" radio we hear occasionally throughout the film. I'm always glad for the musical discoveries QT provides us in all of his movies. With Reservoir Dogs it's not different, one of the most iconic scenes is the one where Mr. Blonde tortures an unfortunate cop to the sound of "Stuck In The Middle With You."

Quentin Tarantino is here to stay

Author: blazesnakes9 from United States
16 June 2014

Before making his name well known in Hollywood, Quentin Tarantino worked as a video store clerk before directing his first feature length movie. Reservoir Dogs was his first feature and boy, it was very good. In fact, I believe that when they pick out the best Tarantino movie of all time, my best guess is that they will have a field day with this film and his other works.

The story centers around four professional criminals with false aliases. They are: Mr. White,(Harvey Keitel), Mr. Blonde, (Michael Madsen), Mr. Pink, (Steve Buscemi), and Mr. Orange, (Tim Roth). All four men are involved in a robbery that went wrong. The bosses, Nice Guy Eddie, (Chris Penn), and his father, (Lawrence Tierney) got the message clear. But, what went wrong and who is the rat? Told through sharp dialogue and in flashbacks, the criminals try to figure what to do in this situation. The plot of this movie is dialogue driven and every piece of information is either spoken directly from the characters or told through flashbacks.

Tarantino has a ear for words. In fact, this independent film was made on a low budget and doesn't consists of any big budget special effects or explosions. While I was watching Reservoir Dogs, I was reminded that the artistry of the movies is not about action, but dialogue. It seems that in this world of today, movie goers are somehow drawn to the loud and sometimes obnoxious world of action. But, this is more than just your average crime caper film. An example of just how sharp Tarantino writes dialogue is the opening scene where we see the gang having a conversation in a diner. With this, we, as the audience, feel like we are eavesdropping on their conversation. Even more to the point, these characters aren't really talking about the actual crime they are going to commit. Rather, they are talking more about Madonna "Like a Virgin" than the robbery. That kind of trademark is always essential in all of Tarantino's movies. The main characters talk about pop culture and especially make movie references in either a diner or a restaurant.

The performances by Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, and others including Penn and Tierney are very good. Keitel, who was also in another daring performance in Bad Lieutenant that same year, gives a commanding performance as Mr. White. Out of all of the main characters in the movie, I happen to enjoy watching Keitel's character walk through this movie, trying both to figure what happened and also keep his loyalty and respect to his boss. Tim Roth, who played Mr. Orange, is wonderful and also very realistic. The reason why I mention realistic is that throughout the entire time, Mr. Orange can be seen bleeding out on the floor for a very long time. Also, the bonding between Mr. White and Mr. Orange resembles a symbol of camaraderie between two soldiers who have went through a harrowing and violent scenario. But, one character who is different from all of the other characters is Mr. Blonde, who is played by Michael Madsen. He is very twisted when it comes to violent. One famous sequence in the movie is when he tortured a cop by tying him up in a chair and cutting off his ear. Later on, he threatens to set him on fire. That kind of violence is not glorified, but a lot of people were stunned and disgusted by that scene. For me, Tarantino know how to cut away from the violence so that you don't see the razor slicing the cop's ear.

Tarantino often writes movie references in his scripts and at certain times, bring influences to other genres as well. This is evident in Reservoir Dogs. The characters stated movie references from the 60's and mostly the 70's, creating a sense of pop culture. I know for a fact that for all of its intentions, this movie deserves to seen more once. It is twisted because of the story of a gang trying to recover the diamonds and also figure out what went wrong. It is screwy in the way that these characters talk and act toward each other. Unlike other crime movies, the characters who portrays criminals are more calm and more relaxed than other movie criminals. In other crime movies that I've seen, the criminals act rough toward each other and also to the women. Here, there is one minor female character, which is the waitress in the beginning of the movie. But, after that, no other female speaking parts.

Reservoir Dogs works as a mystery film, as a violent and bloody gangster picture and also as a movie of its own. If there is one other thing that I would say is that Quentin Tarantino will be around for a very long time. ★★★ 1/2 3 1/2 stars.

The masterpiece

Author: wasim sk from India
1 June 2014

this is my first review so don't expert much of a critic from me and also i am not much of person who really thinks about a movie to depth while watching , i am just a person who loves to see movies and feel awesome whenever came across a really great movie like this, i am writing this review just so i can complete the profile checklist given by this site, i am quite nervous as i am not much of a writer and i don't want make a fool out of myself by judging some movie i saw few times. so i m writing a review to the movie i saw many times and can still watch for hours in my free time this is that kind of a movie. i just liked it so much that i felt in love with this movie and its characters. i love all the characters but for me to pick one i will go for Mr.Blonde it was the first time i liked a character who was a psychopath (after joker of course.) and didn't felt awkward about it. the best part about the film are its dialogue. i want to write more more but i am way too lazy about it but its a one of best movies i have ever seen and i recommend anyone and everyone about this.