IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 95: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Ultra-violent blood-fest

Author: adamw25 from UK
8 January 2017

This film inevitably divides opinion due to the sheer level of violence and gore that is crammed into its 100 minute running time. Regardless of your attitude towards Tarantino's excessive use of violence, however, it has to be said that this is one very well written, directed and acted film.

'Reservoir Dogs' is smart and entertaining, with interesting characters, great dialogue and an absorbing storyline. This film seems to fly by, and not just because of the relatively short running time. The tension and unpredictability alone make 'Reservoir Dogs' a fascinating watch.

Whilst this movie won't be to everyone's taste, it's undoubtedly an excellently made, highly entertaining spectacle, and arguably one of Tarantino's best.

Quite a directorial debut

Author: Giallo Fanatic from Greenland
31 December 2016

Quentin Tarantino's directorial debut is something of a gem. The kind of gem that gets better after each subsequent viewing. I like this movie than the first time I watched it. It is stylish and engaging. But not only that, it has a neat story that is kind of complex but not so complex you don't know what is happening. Then there is the core of the movie: the plot. It has a very simple plot, but the way it unfolds - like the story - is very well done. And what do you need for the story and the plot to be so damn swell? The script! Quentin Tarantino is very good at writing scripts. The story is non-linear so the script is very important to make the story coherent. If the movie did not have a solid script, the movie would have been a mess. Another thing that makes the movie swell is the performance of the actors. They brought the characters to the screen convincingly and each of them had a solid presence. Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth and Michael Madsen really drove the plot forward. I especially want to praise Harvey for his performance, the man is as usual fantastic to watch. I never tire of his on-screen presence. He has that rare talent where he can play any role and still come out strong. Much respect to him.

But I must say Tim Roth with his character was the core of the plot and story. I felt he brought about most of the tension and suspense the movie had. His character made us anticipate the harsh ending of the movie. Tim is a pretty good actor too, he showed a big span of emotional acting and I gotta say his role seemed the most demanding to play too. Seriously, big applaud to Tim Roth for his role in the movie. Then there is Michael Madsen, what can I say? He was pretty damn cool as usual. But he was also very creepy and his character was possibly the most uncomfortable to watch. Damn, that ear scene is so well executed. It was a stomach-churning scene that can make even horror movie fanatics like me-self cringe. So I cherish that scene and Michael Madsen's presence in the movie. Anyway, the movie has some pretty neat camera work and it is stylish. The use of long takes instead of cutting all the time made the movie pretty atmospheric and engaging. There was some Sergio Leone and Dario Argento elements to the cinematography. Sergio and Dario often used the visuals to build up tension and suspense. Tarantino does it too in his movie. I am in for that. Oh, I also remember the movie has memorable lines. But sadly it has been some time since I have watched it. What I remember most though is when Tarantino's character talks about the black penis and a woman feeling like being a virgin because of that. Which still makes me giggle to this day.

This is a very impressive directorial debut. A real gem. 9/10

The epitome of style and coolness

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
30 October 2016

Quentin Tarantino's powerfully compelling heist movie is one that is both shockingly violence and compulsively funny. Suddenly appearing out of nowhere, this low-budget masterpiece caused an uproar in Britain with the moral guardians who were determined that the bloodshed should not be seen by weak-willed individuals living in this country. Thankfully they failed, which is why this video is now available in the UK in an uncut, uncensored film.

Tarantino elicits funny, likable performances from his seasoned and fresh-faced actors. By setting the movie in one location for the entire film and playing the thing in real time, he ups the tension and suspense in the same way TWELVE ANGRY MEN utilised the idea. Harvey Keitel lends his weighty presence to the film as a tough, loyal gangster who believes in "honour among thieves". Keitel evokes sympathy and remains likable, even when he needlessly blasts two cops to death. The turnaround at the climax where he realises he has been betrayed is wonderful, Keitel sobbing and moaning uncontrollably as cops surround him and he realises he's finished. Tim Roth makes it to the mainstream with his wounded gangster who lies bleeding to death on a ramp for the entire film, a funny yet depressing performance.

However, these two aren't alone; new actors Michael Madsen and Steve Buscemi are the guys who would perhaps make the biggest impressions. Madsen's coldly sadistic psychopath is not totally irredeemable, making his character a difficult one to get a grasp on. He's definitely frightening during a hard-to-watch torture sequence where he cuts off a cop's ear, yet he makes this scene funny too. Madsen never repeated the brilliance he showed here, instead wasting his talent in schlock like SPECIES and EXECUTIVE TARGET. Steve Buscemi plays a whinging creep which would later become his stock trade (check out FARGO, for instance). Buscemi is probably the most likable character of them all, and his off screen death is hilarious.

The violence level is high but not as high as you might imagine, from the hype. Aside from the aforementioned torture, we just get lots of people being shot up a lot and bleeding a lot too. Tarantino throws in some choice '70s music and lots of black comedy. This was a film which inspired many similar heist movies but which was never beaten. Definitely the director's best so far, and perhaps one of the slyest, wittiest low-budget films ever made. The epitome of style and coolness.

Stylish, slick and cool cult classic

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
21 July 2016

When I first saw this movie during when I was still a teen. I was blown away by it, from the dialogues, the build up and the twist. I was intrigued from beginning to end. Despite the whole story revolving around a heist, it doesn't actually show the heist. It doesn't even really show the planning of the heist. But despite it lacking when it comes to scheming and planning things out while showing the whole process like "Ocean's Eleven". I was still intrigued and entertained throughout the whole running time. I just recently saw this film again, although I am still confused about the title of why it's called "Reservoir Dogs. It's a magnetic film that drew me in and kept me focused. I still think this film is a bit overrated, I mean it's not one of the best films I have ever seen or anything like that. But I still think it's one heck of an accomplishment. I mean it's a crime film that revolves around a heist while not even showing the heist and yet it can entertain and entice the audiences is a accomplishment. It shows what happened before and after the heist but not the actual heist itself. What makes this movie stand out is not just the cool dialogues, but it's the stylishly cool and suave style of it all. Plus it does have some iconic scenes some people try to do a parody of, especially the introduction scene where the character walk to their cars. This is a cool, slick and compelling movie that did a lot with the resources they had. Even the acting is top notch, a bit over the top at times but for a film like this it works.

"We're Supposed to be F*****g Professionals!"

Author: asennett16 from United States
19 May 2016

It's no wonder that "Reservoir Dogs" is part of the reason why Quentin Tarantino first started to became known as the "boy wonder" of Hollywood. Still in his late twenties, Tarantino had directed a movie that was as smart as it was entertaining. "Reservoir Dogs" left audiences in shock (and sometimes even out in the lobby) due to its violence, yet left them in stitches due to it's hilarity. There was not a second that went by during this movie that I felt bored, and that is a credit both to Tarantino's amazing dialogue and his ability to create tension-filled scenes.

The characters in this movie are all tons of fun to watch, and are the kind of people that you guiltily end up liking even though most of them are hardened criminals. I especially liked Tim Roth's character, Mr. Orange AKA Freddy Newmandyke, and Harvey Keitel's character, Mr. White AKA Larry Dimmick. Both of these characters were complex and interesting, and their relationship with one and other in a sort of father and son-he-never-had dynamic was both touching and tragic; touching in that a hardened criminal like Dimmick could take a young thief under his wing like his own son, yet tragic in that Dimmick would throw his relationship with Newmandyke out the window once Newmandyke revealed that he was a cop. It just goes to show that there really is no honor among thieves. I also liked the character of Mr. Pink, who was the only one among the men that really saw the other men for what they were: scumbags. It was obvious that he recognized himself as a scumbag too, but what made him different was that he was a professional scumbag, and in the end that's what saved his life.

Another thing worth mentioning about this movie is the way that it is told, both visually and chronologically. This movie introduced Tarantino's penchant for non-linear storytelling, (Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction) and did it beautifully. With its constant reveals through flashbacks and flashbacks-in-flashbacks, "Reservoir Dogs" lets the audience know in its own time every detail that it wants them to know. This type of storytelling is truly exciting and fun to watch, and is a huge reason why "Reservoir Dogs" works. Also, I particularly enjoyed the scene in which Newmandyke was telling his "commode story", and it cut to him in the imaginary bathroom talking to some police officers like they were Mr. White, Joe, and Nice-Guy Eddie. This is another great example of "Reservoir Dogs"'s unique style of storytelling, which is truly reminiscent of the French New Wave in that it breaks many of the "rules" of film.

Lastly, and certainly not least, the soundtrack is yet another in a long line of fabulous Tarantino soundtracks. The fake radio station "K-Billy's Super Sounds of the 70's" works amazingly in this movie, and always plays the perfect song for the moment. I mean, c'mon, I don't think there could have been a more perfect choice of music for the torture scene.

Listen, this film doesn't leave you contemplating deep life questions. This film leaves you bobbing your head to some great music, and repeating quotes from it for a good week or so, ("If you shoot me in your dreams, you better wake up and apologize"). In my opinion, this film is perfect for what it is: a kick-ass crime movie with snappy dialogue and lots of twists along the way. What makes this movie a classic isn't its deep metaphors on life or social commentary, it's its memorable characters and unique, riveting style.

Nothing short of a masterpiece

Author: xa-28566
1 May 2016

Reservoir Dogs isn't only one of the best heist films ever, but also one of the best films ever made. Quentin Tarantino couldn't have kicked off his career as a director in the film industry any better. What makes this movie so great is it's interesting characters and the brilliantly written banter between them. For example, the opening scene. It's not your typical exposition dump that so many movies use for their opening scenes. It's just a bunch of guys eating breakfast and talking about the meaning of Madonna's song "Like A Virgin" and how tipping is/isn't bullshit. The scene is both very entertaining and very original.

Anyways, it's time for me talk about the characters.

Mr. White: "If you shoot me in a dream you better wake up and apologize." Played excellently by Harvey Keitel, this character is the veteran criminal of the group. You can tell by his age and by the fact that he handles himself more professionally than most of the other characters.

Mr. Pink: "Why do I gotta be Mr. Pink?" "Because you're a faggot." A weasel-like criminal that isn't afraid to put you down if you're in his way, this character is nothing short of a cool character. He is played by Steve Buscemi who gives a great performance. This character has some of the most interesting dialogue in the film, which succumb to a few good one liners and logical arguments such as his opinion on tipping and his suspicion of who the "rat" is.

Mr. Blonde: "Are you gonna bark all day little doggy... Or are you gonna bite?" This guy is a flipping psycho. An interestingly cool one though. Michael Madsen did a fantastic job of portraying Mr. Blonde. Apparently this was pretty hard for him because of his very non- violent nature as a person. I have a lot of respect for someone who can pull off playing a character that challenges them like that. One of the things I love most about this character is the fact that he stopped for fast food after he kidnapped a police officer and put him in his trunk. That is what I call gold. He also has a lot of great one-liners.

Mr. Orange: "F**k you man! I'm dying here!" And last but not least the youngster played by Tim Roth. This character is arguably the most important character for the film's plot due to the fact that he is an undercover cop. He is the most fleshed out character in the film and it's interesting how the movie shows him practicing on acting like a legit criminal so nobody has any suspicion of his background. Mad props to that.

So what are the other aspects that make this film great? The unconventional structure and plot. The film is not told chronologically and you never actually see the heist. You think that might be a problem at first but it's handled very well. The cinematography and special effects are pretty good as well. Since the movie didn't have a large budget it has a more raw feel to it.

Overall, this movie is a very original masterpiece and is one of Taratino's crown jewels.

A True Heist Fillm Without Seeing the Heist

Author: Colin Rock (colinrock21@yahoo.com) from United States
2 March 2016

The first film by Quentin to hit the big screen in 92.I got to see the film in 2007 and it was groundbreaking and possibly my favorite film of the 90's.

The plot is a gang of robbers steal a diamond but every changes when one of the men is a police informer and everyone else questions each's other story until the police comes into play.

This was the first Tarantino it was popular in the 90's until Pulp Fiction came in 94 still its one of the best of his films through out his films.

This Film has a star studded cast with Tarantino,Keitel,Roth,Madsen,Buscemi,Penn,Bunker as the main group in the film

Rushed, Anti-Climatic Tarantino Movie

Author: SquigglyCrunch from North America
8 February 2016

I went into this movie with some expectations. Having liked all of the Tarantino films that I've seen I was hoping for another great movie. Unfortunately, it wasn't really anything special.

Reservoir Dogs is about a bunch of criminals hiding out after a robbery went horribly wrong and waiting for each other to arrive. While I like the idea of everyone waiting in one place and having trust issues, I've seen it before in Tarantino's 'The Hateful Eight'. I do realize that Reservoir Dogs came out over 20 years before, but The Hateful Eight felt more like an improvement off of this movie. Plus it just shows that Tarantino is reusing ideas at this point. While I did really like The Hateful Eight and not so much Reservoir Dogs, I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Considering Reservoir Dogs came out first, I'm giving it credit for having the idea first, but The Hateful Eight did it much, much better. Otherwise, the plot is generally well done. I liked the beginning the most. For the last twenty or so minutes it's just kind of lame. It's anti-climatic in the end, and very obvious when and how it will end. For a Tarantino movie this is quite disappointing. It's probably the most average way for a Tarantino movie to end, only without the awesome overdone violence and tension.

The characters are alright, but relatively rushed. They all have their defining characteristics, but it never really goes deeper than that.

Overall Reservoir Dogs isn't anything special. It just feels like the most average Tarantino movie ever, and while it was one of his first movies, it doesn't hold up as the classic that everyone makes it out to be. It just feels like a worse version of The Hateful Eight. In the end I probably wouldn't recommend this movie unless your really interested in it. I really didn't enjoy it that much, and I'm only giving it credit because it probably inspired the idea for my favorite Tarantino movie.

Genuinely surprised at how well this film holds up over time

Author: jondiamond-45566 from United States
27 January 2016

Lemme start by saying that while I enjoy about half is his films, I pretty much can't stand Tarantino these days, and aside from Inglorious Bastards, I haven't much cared for his work since Jackie Brown.

That aside, wow does this movie still hold up. I hadn't watched it in maybe 10-15 years, and I think it's possible I liked it even more this time.

The premise is simple, 8 guys plan a robbery which goes wrong. Seen this a million times right? But here, Tarantino tells the story in a broken time line, jumping forward and back between the action, slowly leaking information to the viewer. Seen that a million times? Sure, but not as well as it's done here. Also, it's worth remember that this was the first time a lot of this stuff was being done the way that it was being done.

The performances are brilliant and the relationship between Mr White (a brilliant performance from Harvey Keitel) and Mr Orange (Tim Roth) is so well done that it feels like they have known each other for years. To say this is a first time film from a director its striking how well thought out the set pieces are.

Stunning work for first time director Tarantino.

Author: Troy Putland from East Sussex
26 January 2016

Reservoir Dogs is Quentin Tarantino's first movie. It's not clear that he had a low budget to play with, because what he's done with it is superb. A robbery gone wrong force a group of criminals, only known by different colours (Mr. White, Mr. Pink etc.) into an abandoned warehouse, to await help. In the mean time, they work out who the mole is. Tarantino fleshes out characters motives with a speech driven screenplay, music that defines memory and the ability to play on our imaginations. Madsen, Buscemi, Keitel and Roth are astutely incomparable, their given names matching their sporadic personalities. Reservoir Dogs is a profound start to Tarantino's career; one that's hard to beat with an unbeatable style, fast paced dialogue and an unforgettable scene that, whenever Stuck in the Middle With You by Stealers Wheel comes on, springs to mind instantly.