IMDb > Reservoir Dogs (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 87: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Indtroudcing the world to QT

Author: isak_ea from Lund
12 December 2013

Quentin Trantino's first movie; Reservoir Dogs, is one of his best. Like many of his films it is controversial. It was both praised and critized for the violence. Sure, it is violent and very bloody, but not too much.

The narrative is unique and has inspired many films that has come later. It is told in flashbacks, gradually explaining backgrounds.

The plot is this: six strangers are put together to rob a jewellery shop. It goes terribly wrong and the police gets to the crime scene, during the heist. The heist itself is never depicted in the movie, but the aftermath is. The surviving criminals try to figure out who told the police?

How these men got the job is told in the flashbacks. These fill several purposes: to explain and clarify the background and to vary the story.

The actual story, that takes place in the present, takes place in a warehouse; the rendezvous for the criminals.

To those of you that have seen QT's Pulp Fiction and Django Unchained I say this: This one is as good as those.

Though, Reservoir Dogs is quite different from Qt's later movies. Mainly because it is more serious. Of course there are some very bisarre scenes in which the characters sit at a table and discuss absurd things; what the true meaning of Madonna's Like A Virgin is, for example.

Loved it! 9/10

Fantastic cast, and directing.

Author: Adam Potter (Ragefeast95) from Edmonton, Alberta
7 November 2013

I was intrigued by the relatively high rating for such a mediocre-sounding plot, but once I started watching, I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. The cast was what instantly sold me on this one - with movie greats like Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, and a very intimidating performance by Lawrence Tierney, this movie's attention to the characters, is what truly makes it great. Tarantino's legendary directing guides this film through, what could have been, monotonous scenes with ease. The 7- something minute opening scene was one of my favorites, masterfully capturing the quirky relationship that each of the men were forced into. One of my absolute favorites.

very good first movie

Author: dragokin
6 November 2013

When Pulp Fiction (1994) came out the aficionados explained how it was too commercial and that in Reservoir Dogs one could experience "the true Tarantino". They were right, although a lot of viewers felt cheated.

It turned out that Tarantino used a model he would repeat to this day: Employ a strong crew, offer a story with some extreme violence and wrap it up with a great soundtrack. But there was one more thing. He had the ability to compile the scenes from his favorite movies and spice them with well-written dialogs. You may like his movies or not, yet they are entertaining to watch.

The rest is history, as people like to say. Tarantino succeeded in introducing violence to mainstream audiences on unprecedented scale.

Classic

Author: tendkings from United States
4 November 2013

Reservoir Dogs is a Quentin Tarantino classic. The movie doesn't actually show any of the heist but establishes a large amount of personality in the characters. A mob boss sets up a simple heist with a small crew. They meet, don't know each other, and don't tell each other their names. The dialogue between the characters sets up how they react to each other. When the heist goes awry they know they have a snitch in the group. They need to figure out who it is and get rid of them. As the cops close in and they have a member down they have to make a decision. The story is gripping without even having to show any of the heist. The characters are extremely interesting and you can connect with them. Reservoir Dogs is a must see.

Stylish crime drama, with great one liners and brilliant tension

Author: jamiewalden25 from United Kingdom
28 October 2013

Now, although 50 percent of this film is shouting, it doesn't take away from its greatness, with one of the most memorable and darkly comic scenes ever, a Mexican standoff that takes at least two or three playbacks to actually see what happens and brilliant performances especially from Michael Madsen and Steve Buscemi, and superb dialogue, this takes a rightful placed 4th on my favourite films so far.

The film explores the befores and afters of a diamond heist gone wrong, done with bloody mayhem, and profane scripting, Tarantino manages to portray paranoia, respect, emotion, violence, menace and of course violence from the point of view of the criminals.

If i have one complaint i think the scene where thy get there names should be at the end of the film, but still a great watch, and very re-watchable ( i must have seen it about 10 times in two months).

Reservoir Dogs

Author: argo0403 from Japan
26 September 2013

Tarantino made a memorial debut as a director on this, Reservoir Dogs.

The story is quite simple describing six robbers who call each other by color. They fail to thieve jewels and become doubtful about each other.

I know this movie gains high ratings but compared with Pulp Fiction, this doesn't look as good as that.  Although there're many great directions as ever, for me this lacks refreshment after watching.

However, opening scene is cool and talk about "like a virgin" makes me laugh. Also, musics are nice. The actors Tarantino chose are always refined. Especially, I like Mr. Orange and Mr. White. Besides, Tarantino himself is attractive!

In spite of skillful story-telling by moving axis of time, the important story itself fascinates me so much.  In the middle of the movie, I became bored.

Still, there're full of humor and violence. You will be satisfied with them.

Reservoir Dogs Review

Author: lukehere99 from United Kingdom
24 September 2013

The first movie by legendary director Quentin Tarantino. Reservoir Dogs tells the story of a group of gangsters trying to work out who betrayed them to the police. Set mainly in a warehouse in the aftermath of a failed bank robbery.

Harvey Keitel and Tim Roth lead the fantastic ensemble, despite one of them having a bullet in there gut for all of the movie. Michael Madsen and Steve Buscemi co-star as the psychotic maniac and the weaselly coward who doesn't believe in tipping. Chris Penn (who looks and sounds exactly like Jonah Hill) and Lawrence Tierney are the two minor members of the gang but make there mark on the movie and still have memorable performances. All of the actors, especially Buscemi, do a brilliant job and are one of my favourite movie line ups ever.

Although it sounds quite simple at first the plot of Reservoir Dogs stems out into flashbacks and each gangsters account of what happened. Much like Tarantino's next (and best) movie Pulp Fiction, the dialogue and script is what really makes the movie a classic.

Reservoir Dogs has two famous musical scenes which you will have definitely seen many parodies of even if you didn't know it. Both have retro 70's soundtracks because while all the chaos and double crossing is going on, the radio is having a Super Sounds of the 70's Weekend. Without the jazzy backing tracks neither of the most memorable scenes in the movie would be as - well - memorable.

Finally the ending of the movie, which is perfect. Tarantino does the impossible and gets us to feel sorry for the evil murdering Reservoir Dogs.

I give Reservoir Dogs an excellent rating of 8.9/10. Definitely in my Top 50 Movies of All Time. http://www.IMDb.com/list/AoqmUADYknU/

Awesome movie!

Author: brituc1 from United States
16 September 2013

Great movie! It's about a band of guys with code names that are colors robbing a jewelry store. However, the heist goes bad and the robbers have to scatter. Slowly they meet up at the safe house to discuss what went wrong, how & why. For Tarentino's first film with a low budget, he really pulled off an amazing film. There's violence, guns, torture, and a story all thrown together beautifully! Once I first saw this film, I immediately rented Tarantino's other movies and had a marathon. Most of his other films a great, but this one knocked it outta the park! The music is also great (if you're into 70s music). The only reason I rated this a 9 instead of 10 is because there are a couple of moments where the story gets a little dull (a couple of the characters' back stories were kinda 'eh...). But the twist near the end was great. Overall, I loved it and would highly recommend this film to anyone who likes crime drama!

Classic Tarantino... and Then Some

Author: HandHStudios from United States
5 September 2013

Review #4 of "My Top Ten Favorite Movies" Reviews

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it: I think this movie is better than Pulp Fiction.

Unlike most of the Tarantino fans, I think this movie was a little bit better than Pulp. I just liked the story and characters more.

Anyway, let me talk about THIS movie.

Reservoir Dogs is a timeless classic. There are no smartphones, iPads, or laptops. Just good old fashioned killing.

No spoilers, the story is about a group of men who are pulling off a bank heist. But when it goes terribly wrong, they think they have a rat working for the police in their midst. This is followed by paranoia, suspicion, and rage. (I didn't differ very much from the IMDb description, so I don't believe any spoilers were revealed.) This story is very captivating, and the actors make it that way with no-bull performances. Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, and Chris Penn were all in the early stages of their acting careers, and this movie was their big break. In fact, if Harvey Keitel hadn't agreed to produce it and star in it, it probably wouldn't have even seen the light of day; or at least it wouldn't have been as big as it is now.

The script is very compelling and stylish. It gives a certain edge to the movie that made it better. A lot of this movie's dialogue has been quoted many times. My point- it was a very memorable movie.

Overall, you have to see Reservoir Dogs. It is a timeless classic that defined Tarantino movies for the rest of his career.

HandHStudios Rating: 10/10

Masterpiece

Author: Lucas Kazmanli
31 August 2013

This movie is my favourite movie of all time, so far..

Reservoir Dogs in my opinion is one of Tarantino's greatest work, in my opinion it is no doubt the best, and therefore one of the greatest movies that will ever be made. The reasons being are that this film has so much 'style'. Every director has his/her own style, and Tarantino's style is reflected in this movie throughout every single detail.

I love the fact that this takes a 'cliche' narrative (a diamond heist) and transforms it into something far more. We never even see the diamonds, it's not about the diamonds, it's about something far more important; the relationship between these men. The idea, again in my opinion is that there is no definitive good and bad. Throughout this movie I felt as though I really knew these characters, and I liked these guys. Never the less, these guys were in a sense 'bad', they killed cops, innocent men and women. They stole diamonds, and eventually killed each other. Saying all this, these guys are some of the coolest to ever be created in a film.