IMDb > Beyond Justice (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Beyond Justice More at IMDbPro »

Adventure Returns to Casablanca

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
12 March 2004

The synopsis on the video box hardly do any sort of justice to this movie, depicting it as more of a regular kidnapping story where a mother hires a rather unorthodox agent to trail her strange husband. But this movie has none of that. Filmed in Morroco, it is more like a modern tale of adventure in the deserts of Morroco complete with sword fights and camel rides.

A rich woman's husband, son of a Morrocan Prince, takes their son to Morroco with plans to live in grandfather's palace. While the grandfather declares the grandson heir to the throne and prepares him for living in the Holy Land and ridding himself of the life he once knew, the woman hires a few men (including Rutger Hauer) to get her grandson back. And it turns out to be a very dangerous mission.

This is a fantastic adventure film, though a pretty violent one, since it's a deadly mission and one that, although the main premise involves a kidnapping, continues on to involve all sorts of wild intrigue including that of a feuding Morrocan tribe. It seems so unusual because it is an ancient tale told in a modern setting when the family is taken away from their modern conveniences into a highly hostile desert scenery with completely different customs and culture.

These Italian filmmakers have given us something that I would less consider an action movie and more of an adventure tale. I would definitely recommend this movie if you're in the mood for something really different.

Beyond Justice should be seen !

Author: olddiscs from Fords, NJ
5 January 2002

I never heard of this Italian made film...I caught on Long Islands ch.55 late night movie.. I was amazed.. its a fascinating adventure, beautifully photographed and well acted.. Sustained my interest even at this 2am viewing! It is somewhat cliched, and stereotypic, but an exciting tale well told.. In view of our present world conflict, it gives some insight into the tribal nomadic existences of the various cults that still exist !!, and the mores and values which still persist. Worth seeing...

Interesting Film

Author: whpratt1 from United States
10 November 2008

If you like to see camels grunting and crying in the desert and plenty of Arabs with swords clashing in the bright sun along with Omar Sharif, (Emir Beni-Zair), you will enjoy this film. The film deals with a very pretty and sexy gal with beautiful eyes named Christine Sanders, (Carol Alt) whose son has been taken away from her by her ex-husband who is the son of an Arab Chieftain back to Morocco. Christine is a very successful business woman in New York City and is also very wealthy and she hires a man named Tom Burton,(Rutger Hauer) to hunt down her son and bring him back home. However, Christine wants to go along with Tom and she eventually convinces him to let her go along and I think she bit off more than she can chew on this dangerous adventure in the desert. During some very action scenes, Christine and Tom do find time to passionately embrace each other and their kisses were very very long. Omar Sharif, Elliott Gould gave great supporting roles to this film which is very entertaining and different. Enjoy.

One of the best movies I've seen

Author: cbabbot from United States
11 March 2005

The first time I saw this movie I was on a bus in Mexico. It was a sweltering 110 degrees, the air conditioner was broken, and I was battling amoebic dysentery. When this movie came on, my world changed. Elliot Gould, Omar Sharif, and others give breathtaking performances as the kidnapped American child is reclaimed by an unorthodox hero. 15,000 dead Morroccans later, the child is rescued and brought swiftly back to his mother. For those two hours, I forgot about my perils in a foreign land and simply enjoyed the show. This film take you to the edge of your seat, doing the wave with your friends, and sharing the beauty of one of the most wondrous creations to grace the silver screen. Bravo.

How could anyone rate this movie other than awful?

Author: canadian-bear from Canada
16 June 2013

This movie is about a boy who is kidnapped by this father and returned to his Arab kingdom where his father claims the boy will be the new heir to the tribe. I have watched a lot of "B" movies before, and can usually find some redeeming value in them, but this movie, I had to stop after 45 minutes or so. The performances were so awful, and yet some reviewers said it was the best performance of each actor's career. I don't understand that at all. I am sad that Eliott Gould would have given such a terrible performance. I expect it from Rutger Hauer. He's done some stinkers over the years, and some good films. I thought Gould was better than that. Actually, it is like each actor is reading their lines from a teleprompter as if each were told at the outset, "read your lines in the most monotone voice possible". Rutger Hauer is kidnapped at gunpoint, beaten, taken before the child's mother, and immediately agrees to find the kid. I really feel like I wasted part of my life on this movie and I deeply regret it. It sucks!!!!!

Beyond justice was not that bad. I think Rutger & the always stunningly beautiful Carol Alt and cast did a good job with what they were given

Author: adoberep from United States
10 July 2005

Late night at the drug store picking up ice & vodka,i notice a rack of discount DVDs. Rite in front i find a Collector's edition, 4 hrs. Rutger Hauer action pack for $3.99. My evening is looking up! First up, Beyond Justice, A fantastic story of international intrigue, moral responsibility, as a hansom mercenary (Rutger Hauer) is hired by a beautiful and rich divorce (Carrol Alt) to rescue her kidnapped son from his father who has taken him back to his homeland of Morraco. The X husband is clearly in a dilemma that would test the limits of any well intending man. His father is a Emir of a nomadic tribe in Morraco and has threatened to kill his X wife if he dose not deliver the boy to him to claim his prince hood.

Needles to say as i was drinking my vodka and cleaning my guns, i enjoyed this movie very much. hope you like it to!

There Certainly Is a Lot of Sand

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
8 December 2006

Other than the enjoyment of looking at Carol Alt in her business suits, this is a pretty good cast wasted. To start with, I couldn't care less about her rich girl persona and her snot son. The kid looks like a refugee from Leave It to Beaver. He is so happy all the time. Even when he punches out the big kid in the principals office. Rutger Hauer is hired to go retrieve the boy from his Arab father who is an aspiring Emir in a desert colony. Boy, it's hard to watch what the likes of Omar Sharif became. Anyway, they blast their way in and attempt the rescue. She comes along, of course, because she is an Alpha female, rich, corporate executive, which qualifies her to fight against Arabs with machine guns. Mostly she hides; but she is there. I'm sure a fair amount of money was spent on this. There is some nice desert cinematography. It's just too many deaths, done easily, to get back that little jerk kid, who, in actuality, couldn't fight his way out of a grocery sack. Too much shooting and not enough plot.

Beyond redemption. Even Rutger Hauer fans may be frustrated.

Author: jamil-5 from Montclair, N.J.
19 September 2001

A rich, bossy executive's son is kidnapped by her ex-husband, an arab who has been warned to return to his people or face the consequences, which could include her death. When he and the boy arrive at the settlement of his father, the Emir (Omar Sharif), he is informed that, because he has been a bad boy who transgressed against his society's precepts, he will be bypassed and his son, now thirteen, will eventually rule the Emir's people. Meanwhile, the frantic mother (Carol Alt, looking quite elegant) has been put in touch with a specialist in "dirty" operations (Rutger Hauer), who agrees, for a price, to rescue the boy from the Emir's clutches. At this point, the movie begins to slow down as Hauer and his associates penetrate the Emir's lair. There's a lack of imagination and flair to the filming. They just crunch it out. One gets tired of seeing people diving off camels or rolling down sand dunes after they get shot. The film score sounds as if it were written for some other, equally pedestrian movie. And just when you think everything is about to be tied up in a neat package, there's a twenty-minute coda of more gunplay. When you run out of dialogue or plot twists, get out those AK-47s. Does the father pay for his "crime"? Does the kid get saved? Does the Emir say "It is written....?" Does Hauer end up with Alt? Have you ever seen a movie?

"Sounds like my kind of job."

Author: classicsoncall from United States
2 September 2012

Think about all the lives lost in this movie. For what? The kid who's kidnapped by his own father winds up back with his Mom after the father has a change of heart. Really? And the grandfather Emir who engineered the whole thing just shrugs it all off and let's the kid make his own decision at the end of the story.

Obviously someone must have thought all of this was a good idea because Omar Sharif and Elliott Gould signed on to back up Rutger Hauer and Carol Alt in this desert adventure. Hauer portrays mercenary Tom Burton, hired by business executive Christine Sanders (Alt) to rescue her son after he's whisked off to Morocco by her ex (Kabir Bedi). As an actress, Alt is one fantastic model, and virtually every scene with her in it is constructed basically to show off her fine legs. The kid playing her son must have been some kind of studio political appointment because he can't act and his demeanor never matches the situation he's in.

There are a couple of interesting bits here. That huge poster of Bogart in "Casablanca" simply overwhelmed that early scene at the Moroccan airport, and this has got to be the latest I've ever seen a horse brought down by a trip wire (even though it looks like someone bashed it with a machine gun) during late battle action. If made in the U.S., the PETA folks would have been all over this one. But you know when I became convinced this was a clunker? At one point, Rutger Hauer's character actually comes out with the line - "Go ahead, make my day".

Not the best Rutger Hauer movie but watchable

Author: Rautus from United Kingdom
9 March 2008

I'm a fan of Rutger Hauer, The Hitcher was one of his best action thrillers and Blind Fury is a fun 80's action flick. I found Beyond Justice under the title of Desert Law, this film isn't one of Rutger Hauer's best action movies but it is entertaining in parts. The film does have some nice shots of the desert, Beyond Justice (Desert Law) has some great mindless action. The main characters just keep shooting these characters and hardly get shot themselves, the acting in Beyond Justice is okay Rutger Hauer does a great performance. One problem with Beyond Justice is that the film does tend to drag at parts, the film did have some annoying characters like the son. He seems to be overly happy in parts, the wife can sometimes be irritating since she goes with them on the mission and doesn't really help them.

Beyond Justice (Desert Law) isn't the greatest action movie but it is entertaining in some parts and watchable, fans of Rutger Hauer and mindless action flicks may want to check this one out.