Patriot Games (1992) Poster

(1992)

Good action flick
chadly8620 July 2001
If I were to make a quick summary of this movie, it would be "a good, but not great, action flick." I don't think this movie was intended to be innovative, to be great, to be memorable. What it was intended to be was entertaining, and it lived up to this expectation.

Harrison Ford is the master of remaining as low-key as possible. He has had so many films where he can over-emphasize, over-dramatize, and simply over-act. Ford has the maturity to keep this from happening, and he does so again in this film. Ford is supported quite well with such actors/actresses as James Earl Jones (reprising his role as Greer from The Hunt for Red October), Samuel L. Jackson, and Anne Archer. For an action flick, acting is much above average.

It was also suspenseful...thrilling. I thought the ending had a nice build-up and climax. I realize this is different from the book's ending...but remember, these are two different visions...not the same one. This brings up a big point in movie-watching: Comparing a movie to a book is the worst thing you can do. They are two completely different genres. More importantly, as I said before, they are two different visions.

I'm not a big action fan. I used to be, but anymore most stories are the same. To this end I would say Patriot Games is fairly mainstream. However, it was always fun to watch and sometimes thrilling to watch. I'm also not a big Tom Clancy fan, but I've given the movies based off his books a shot because again they are different visions. The result is (at least with Patriot Games) a good film to watch on a Saturday night with a bowl of popcorn. Don't expect great things, but don't expect to be disappointed, either.

Rating: 7/10
25 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Have to admit, I like this
Rachel-2024 November 2002
OK, so it has some plot holes, and I generally spend a good amount of time detailing for my husband the deviations from the novel (which are many, since Hollywood doesn't make many five-hour movies). And it's predictable and artless and has plenty of clichés. I make it a point not to read IMDB reviews for a movie until after I've written my own, but even so I can guess that this one has been torn apart on these points probably at least a dozen times. Now that that's over with, I'm going to admit that I like this movie. It feels like a tight thriller, good for those nights when I want entertainment with some minor complexity. I like to "go along for the ride", so to speak, even though I know how it ends. And going back to the first time I saw this, before I'd read the book, I remember being on the edge of my seat quite a bit.

Thora Birch does this film a lot of good. Her expressions and lines are quite well-acted, and she's cute without being syrupy. Harrison Ford is Harrison Ford; you either like him or you don't, and this movie isn't going to change your mind (I happen to like him).

Don't go renting this one if you want an artsy movie, or a beautiful movie, or a movie with a perfectly tight script. But if you can enjoy a film for simple entertainment value, and you like Harrison Ford ;), this is a good one for after the kids are in bed.
36 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good guys are real good, and the bad guys are real bad.
Spikeopath4 March 2008
Patriot Games is a more than serviceable thriller, perhaps a bit out of date when viewing it now, but still a very effective good against evil piece. The source material is so dense and intricate it was always going to be hard to condense that into a 2 hour movie but I feel the makers manage to keep it fleshy whilst making the respective characters interesting and watchable. The acting on show is more than adequate, Harrison Ford is great in the role of Jack Ryan, he manages to portray him as a sensitive family man who can step up to the plate when things get ugly, and Anne Archer is solid enough as the wife and mother caught up in the web of nastiness unfolding.

The baddies are led by the brooding Sean Bean who is a little under written, whilst Richard Harris is sadly underused, but the action set pieces make their mark and thankfully we get a riveting final reel that cements the steady ride we have under taken. It is formulaic to a degree, but that is OK if the combined efforts of all involved are spot on, and here they are, 7/10.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Super Thriller
ccthemovieman-120 March 2006
This is an outstanding thriller, a movie I have always enjoyed watching since it came out. Apparently a number of people also did since a few sequels followed featuring the main character ex-CIA analyst "Jack Ryan," played by Harrison Ford.

Sean Bean was excellent as the revenge-obsessed villain, a member of a "splinter group," as its labeled not really an IRA extremist, but one too out-of- control for any group. Ford is the man best able to stop him and the film is very interesting start-to-finish and smart enough not to overdo the violence. Suspenseful is probably the best word to describe the movie as Bean goes after Ford's family.

Anne Archer, as Ford's wife, along with the rest of the cast, actors such as Patrick Bergen, James Earl Jones, James Fox, Richard Harris and a young Thora Birch make this a well- acted movie.

This is simply one of the best thrillers I've ever seen and almost every scene is interesting.
60 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Harrison Ford kicks....
Peach-219 January 1999
Harrison Ford kicks some major butt in this film and proves again that he is the leading action star of his generation. Ford's action movie's never really seem silly, they always seem real. Alec Baldwin should have never let the character of Jack Ryan go, because Ford now personifies the super agent. Nice direction from Phillip Noyce and a great score from James Horner make this a very good action film.
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Indiana Jones: The CIA years
tieman6410 June 2010
The 1990's saw the addition of orbital satellites, laser guided bombs, fibre optic cameras, night vision goggles, personal computers, state of the art hardware, and more overtly militaristic themes to the techno-thriller format.

One of the best of these films, which tended to coincide with the first Gulf War and the fall of the Soviet Union, was "Patriot Games", directed by Phillip Noyce with a certain classiness. The plot is a generic revenge tale, but it takes place within a world that is genuinely interesting: CIA conferences, Pentagon back-rooms, high-tech gear, telephone calls from the president etc. Building on the work of political thriller directors like Costa Gavras, Pakula, Frankenheimer, John Schlesinger and Fred Zinnemann, and mainstream novelists like Michael Crichton and Frederick Forsyth in the 70s and Tom Clancy in the 80s, an entire vocabulary was being added to here.

Beyond the classy direction and the cool gear on display (the film has 3 good action sequences – one involving a CIA raid viewed entirely through a spy satellite- a big deal back in 1992), "Patriot Games" is mildly interesting for a couple other reasons. This is another in a long line of movies in which Harrison Ford finds himself playing a meek everyman who bravely protect his family, and it's funny to see the film's scriptwriters struggling to be politically correct. They want IRA bad guys, but they don't actually want to offend the IRA, so they opt instead for an Irish bad guy who is "too hardcore for even the IRA". End result: writers able to serve up easy cartoon villains whilst also placating their conscience.

More interesting is the way all these films popped up during the First Gulf War. Like an unconscious display of American prowess, in the form of super advanced technology and "all seeing" surveillance gear, "Patriot Games" might as well have been an advertisement for the military industrial complex and the long reaching arm of Uncle Sam.

In terms of flaws, the film has two: at times the villains are pure cartoon and the film's ending features a silly action scene on a boat, hastily tacked on by nervous studio heads. A better director would have extended the action sequence in the house (the film's climax features a battle in a CIA safe house) and omitted the boat sequence entirely.

Released 2 years before "Patriot Games", "The Hunt For Red October" trades Gulf War muscle flexing for post Cold War, pro Soviet/American bridge building. But though it pretends to be about the healed wounds between Russia and America, this is still a rather propagandistic flick, about a Russian submarine captain who seeks to defect to the glorious promise land of Uncle Sam. Here, like "Patriot Games", a techno-culturally superior America is filled with good leaders and upstanding generals, and Russians would be crazy not to come on over for a slice of "freedom".

Still, the film was directed by John McTiernan ("Die Hard", "Predator", "Die Hard 3", "Thomas Crown Affair" – all good action flicks), so it has a certain style to it. Like "Patriot Games", once you get past some clichés and some clownishness, it's a rather serious picture with some nice hardware on display for the boys and some well mounted action scenes.

Released in 1994, and again directed by Phillip Noyce, "Clear and Present Danger" is the most sophisticated of these films, which were all based on Tom Clancy novels (Clancy, a major tech-head, fantasises about World War 3 for a living). Here, the world isn't made up of good guys and bad guys and there are lots of conflicting, self interests. The villain here is also nothing less than the President of the United States, a gutsy move, though by now this "paternal villain" cliché is getting old ("The Fugitive", "LA Confidential", "Monster's Inc", "Minority Report" etc). Unusual for such films, "Danger" points out the immorality of affairs such as Irangate, doesn't salivate over the film's depiction of a secret war in South America (which Noyce links to Vietnam), considers (somewhat) the moral implications of violence, criticises snap emotive responses and deals with political betrayals and private agendas among both the President and his advisers. Where the film differs significantly from its 1970s predecessors, is it's total lack of impotency: the 90s spy-hero doesn't shy away from responsibility, and will go so far as to topple the Presidency to maintain the good of his country

What's funny, though, is that the film treats its central idea (the President mounting an illegal covert war in Panama) as a shockingly evil thing. In the real world, despite the fact that the American President is not allowed to deploy or instigate any military actions without Congress first declaring war, he routinely does so. Iraq, Vietnam, Korea etc, not to mention countless CIA instigated coups in places like Haiti, Iran, Chile and Ecuador, were all illegal by the Constitution of the United States. The fact is, Congress is always sidestepped, most recently in the "bank bailout package" fiasco.

This being Tom Clancy, the main attraction is once again the gear on display: laser guided bombs, F18 hornets, sniper's hidden in the grass, an RPG attack on a convoy etc. From here, many computer game franchises would spawn, and from there, a banalization of military technology. People used to go to these thrillers and marvel at the hardware, gasping at the inside looks offered of the Oval Office and Pentagon, but now such things are routine, countless TV shows (West Wing, 24, The Unit, JAG) and video games (why be wowed by the sniper on screen, when you can BE him online) diluting the spectacle that made these films popular in the 90s.

8/10 - With the down sizing of armies around the world, and all technology fetishized to the point of disaffection, the techno-thriller genre (itself a genre borne from war, see Lang's 1928 "Spies") looks like it's winding down again.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Taut Jack Ryan thriller!
Gunn24 March 2009
Phillip Noyce takes the helm for the first time with the Jack Ryan "franchise" and scores big. One of the main reasons is Harrison Ford taking over the Ryan role. They work well together grinding out a terrific action thriller. Dealing with IRA terrorists and revenge adds quite a bit of tension to the story and an excellent cast made this, a film you can watch again and again. Sean Bean is great as a terrorist seething for revenge and Richard Harris is fine in a small role. The regulars, James Earl Jones as Greer and Anne Archer and Thora Birch as Ryan's family, deliver as well. This is a case of sequels being as good as, or better than, the original. This one keeps you "on the edge of your seat".
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quite the Thriller!
g-bodyl11 June 2011
Patriot Games is a very suspenseful movie with great acting. This is the second Tom Clancy novel adapted to the big screen after the Hunt for Red October. I think that this movie is better than Red October. However, I heard Clancy didn't think so.

In this film, Jack Ryan and his family are in London. Ryan happens to be in the area where Irish terrorists attempt to kill the Lord Holmes. After Ryan saves Holmes, he makes himself and his family targets to the Irish. Will Ryan be able to protect his family?

The acting is very good. It's great they were able to get Harrison Ford. He's a fantastic actor. Sean Bean plays a wonderful villain. I was happy to see Richard Harris and Samuel L. Jackson.

Overall, this is a fun, thrilling movie. I rate this film 9/10.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Harrison Ford is the coolest.
Peach-22 November 1998
Patriot Games is a very well done action movie. I didn't feel dumbed down by the plot and everyone took their role seriously. Harrison Ford is the best action star of his generation and this movie is a brillant example of how Hollywood can sometimes make a good action picture. The film is well cast and the direction by Phillip Noyce is top notch. Patriot Games is well worth your while, especially if you like smart action pictures and Harrison Ford.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrific!, the best of the Tom Clancy adaptations!
Idocamstuf2 December 2002
I have wanted to see this film for quite a while now. Ive seen The Hunt For Red October(1990), and Clear and Present Danger(1994), and Patriot Games is much better than them. Patriot Games is a great thinking man's thriller, although its much less difficult to follow than "Clear and Present Danger". It has plenty of suspense and action, and Ford's acting is terrific. I am so surprised that Patriot Games is often considered the worst Clancy film, and "The Hunt For Red October" considered the best, but I think it should be the other way around. Overall a great suspenseful movie. 9 out of 10
24 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Once again, Harrison Ford brings action to the big screen!
mpeg-221 March 1999
Harrison Ford, perhaps one of the best actors in Hollywood, once again proves that he has the right stuff. Ford's portrayal as the brave, yet feeling Sir John Patrick Ryan is one that makes any reader of the books by Tom Clancy imagine that Ford really is Jack Ryan, and vice versa.

The movie's plot, while not exactly following the book's plot is a testament to its writers. Although Clancy's ending had more action, it would have been difficult to bring to climax on film. But don't fear, the movie is an excellent portrayal of what can happen when Terrorists tick-off people like Jack Ryan!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An action packed movie that conveys a man's love for his family and a moral consciousness of right from wrong for his fellow human beings.
l-k-bell6 August 2004
I have read all of the Tom Clancy fiction books and the first time I saw the Patriot Games I was very disappointed that the movie didn't follow the book more closely. I feel that the incident in England, the way it happened in the book is much more exciting and entertaining than the movie and it carries over to the gathering at the Ryan's home later in the movie and the ending in the book is even more dramatic. But, after watching the movie a few more times and reading the book several more times I realized that because there is so much that happens in the book, there is no way to fit it in the movie. I have come to the conclusion that the story line in the movie has captured the basic tale involved showing the type of person Jack Ryan is and the principals that he stands for throughout all of Tom Clancy's books.
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great credit to Clancy that one if his books was made into a movie that almost lived up to the book
krillin1233 October 2004
I think this film's greatness (it is indeed great) is a credit more to Clancy than the film makers, because writing is the most crucial part of any film. Unfortunately, a novel adapted to a film will almost never be as good as the book because there just isn't enough time or money to include everything and make everything look as good as it reads. This is evident here. Having said that they certainly didn't leave it to the story to support itself. Impressive heroics from Ford and a superb bad guy performance from Sean Bean (strikingly similar to his performance in the James Bond film Golden Eye) turned Clancy's classy classic book into a classy film. I was also impressed to discover that the director was none other than Australia's Phillip Noyce. As is also sadly common among films made from books, the plot was a little hard to follow due to the audience having to fill in the gaps that were left by the film makers not having time or money to include it all.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Film
Bruce T (tyler-bruce23)31 January 2012
OK, so it has some plot holes, and I generally spend a good amount of time detailing for my husband the deviations from the novel (which are many, since Hollywood doesn't make many five-hour movies). And it's predictable and artless and has plenty of clichés. I make it a point not to read IMDb reviews for a movie until after I've written my own, but even so I can guess that this one has been torn apart on these points probably at least a dozen times. Now that that's over with, I'm going to admit that I like this movie. It feels like a tight thriller, good for those nights when I want entertainment with some minor complexity. I like to "go along for the ride", so to speak, even though I know how it ends. And going back to the first time I saw this, before I'd read the book, I remember being on the edge of my seat quite a bit.

decent Clancy thriller
HelloTexas115 March 2008
The second Tom Clancy novel made into a film ('The Hunt For Red October' being the first), 'Patriot Games' opts for a somewhat smaller scale. There's no chance World War III will result from anyone's actions here, but the CIA finds enough bad business coming from the Irish Republican Army to keep itself and those amazing spy satellites it employs busy. Harrison Ford is now Clancy's reliable hero, Jack Ryan, and Ford is a very good fit. In best Clancy fashion, Ryan is a very reluctant hero as well. He hates getting involved in other peoples' affairs and being forced to settle them, just as he hates being forced to kick ass, but what's an ex-Marine CIA agent to do? The villains this time are an ultraviolent faction of the IRA; Ryan gets on their bad side when he busts up an attempt by them to kill the British Home Secretary and his family. The rest of the movie is essentially a tit-for-tat series of confrontations between Ryan/CIA and these IRA murderers. The best scenes in 'Patriot Games' are the action ones, as well as the parts showing the CIA's supersecret and supersophisticated technology at work. Less successful are the scenes having to do with Ryan's home life, and his wife and daughter. There is an upper-class, peachy-keen smugness to them, exemplified by Anne Archer (Cathy Ryan) and her "boy, this CIA stuff is a pain in the ass" attitude. This type of material is not Clancy's strong suit (or the screenwriter's, apparently) and it shows. The trio of Irish baddies are all portrayed convincingly; Patrick Bergin, Polly Walker, and particularly Sean Bean in a menacing and venomous performance. 'Patriot Games' succeeds mainly because of Harrison Ford's tough, likable, and sometimes vulnerable presence. Several key plot points do not bear close scrutiny; it strikes one as unlikely the IRA and the CIA would take on one another over what is essentially a personal vendetta. But don't think too hard or too much and you'll find 'Patriot Games' a reasonably exciting thriller.
Tense and Fast-Moving Thriller
James Hitchcock26 February 2008
A faction of the IRA attempt to kidnap Lord William Holmes, a member of the British Royal Family who also happens to be a Government minister, but the crime is thwarted by the courageous actions of Jack Ryan, an American tourist in London with his family. During the ensuing scuffle, Ryan shoots dead one of the terrorists, Patrick Miller. Miller's elder brother Sean is jailed for his part in the attack, but is rescued by his comrades, and vows vengeance on Ryan, who is a former marine and CIA operative. When Ryan realises that Sean Miller is targeting his family he returns to work for the CIA to help with the fight against terrorism.

There are a number of fairly obvious goofs and plot holes. No member of the British Royal Family could serve as a Government minister, as they are constitutionally obliged to remain politically neutral. If a foreign citizen were being made a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (one of the highest awards in the British honours system) he would be invited to a formal ceremony in Buckingham Palace to be knighted by the Queen in person. He would not be presented with the decoration in his own home by a junior member of the Royal Family. It seems unlikely that any Irish republican terror group would carry out an attack on American citizens on American soil, as to do so would risk losing the support their cause has long enjoyed among sections of the Irish-American community. As others have pointed out, it seems illogical for Ryan to take his family to their isolated summer home to get them away from Miller; doubtless the CIA could have found a safer location for them.

The film lacks the political implications of "Clear and Present Danger", Philip Noyce's next attempt to film a Tom Clancy thriller which involved Watergate-type misconduct by the President and his closest aides. (That film also starred Harrison Ford as Ryan). Despite the involvement of the IRA, "Patriot Games" makes no attempt to analyse the complexities of the Northern Ireland situation. The film also lacks any detailed characterisation. The moral divisions are straightforward- Ryan, his wife Cathy and his CIA colleagues are good and Miller and his gang are bad.

The film does, however, have a strong hero in Harrison Ford. Ford has always been good in the thriller genre, and gives another good performance here as Ryan, combining decency with a strong sense of intelligence. Anne Archer and Sean Bean are also good as Cathy and the villainous Miller. There is a good cameo from Polly Walker as Miller's glamorous but ruthless female associate Annette. Despite the occasional implausibilities of the plot, this is a tense and fast-moving thriller with some good action sequences. It is not Ford's best thriller (that must be either "Witness" or "The Fugitive"), but it is nevertheless a good one. 7/10
Popcorn political thrills...
Michael DeZubiria20 February 2008
First of all, I'm not a Tom Clancy fan, only because for whatever reason I've never gotten around to reading any of his books. I would say it's because so many of them are so huge, but I've always been a voracious reader. I've read almost all of Stephen King's novels, which are also pretty huge, and I'm usually reading three or four at a time. At any rate, I have nothing to offer as far as how closely the movie follows the source material, although I really think this is incredibly important when adapting books to movies.

I have read a lot of criticisms of Patriot Games (and even more of the sequel, Clear and Present Danger), and while I agree with mostly all of it, I still think Patriot Games is a good couple hours of good clean cinematic fun. But maybe that's just because I love Harrison Ford.

Ebert makes the obvious complaint that Jack Ryan, when he finds himself in danger, sends his family to a remote cabin rather than a secure bunker at CIA headquarters, and it's true that this detracts from the movie, but you have to have a movie somehow, and that's a situation where making the smart, real life decision would cancel out the rest of the movie. If everyone in movies made the smart decision all the time, we wouldn't even have a horror genre, for example.

Jack Ryan is described in Clancy's novels as having "undistinguished features," which makes Harrison Ford seem to me like the perfect choice to play him, since I've always thought that, even though he's a brilliant and tremendously loved actor, he can't really act with his face very well. Consider one of my favorite examples of this, the close up shot of his face when he sends that kid into surgery in The Fugitive. You can literally see the effort he's putting into making his face do something moving, and it's just not happening. But the thing it, the shot still works. I don't get it, it's a mystery, as Philip Henslowe might say.

Harrison Ford has played more complex characters (and less complex, of course), and Jack Ryan gets better than this, but Patriot Games is a fun introduction of Ford playing the role, and is especially a must see for Clancy fans.
Jack Ryan Chapter II
gcd7015 October 2007
The second in what looks like becoming the 'Jack Ryan' catalogue of films sees a change of director and leading star. Phil Noyce takes the helm and Harrison Ford (who has reportedly signed a package deal) slips into the role of CIA analyst Ryan, after Alec Baldwin apparently asked for too much to reprise the part.

"Patriot Games" finds Ryan's family threatened by an Irish terrorist whose brother Jack killed. Performances are solid in a film which develops into an intriguing work. The plot holds its own until the very end when Phil Noyce opts for a predictable audience pleasing finale which is disappointing.

Friday, September 25, 1992 - Hoyts Forest Hill Chase
Did anyone else know
cgrantwilts3 April 2006
I found out the other day that the SF raid shown in this film by satellite seems to be based on an actual raid by Delta Force in the early 80's, apparently it was its first successful mission after the bodge up of Op Eagle Claw. Cant remember the book title, but it was all about elite forces etc, and was briefly mentioned in the bit on American SF. Anyone else heard about this? I personally loved this scene, i remember at first i was hoping for something a bit more action film like, but then, that is such a cliché! The cold hearted satisfaction of "that is a...kill!" as a throat os cut, and Fords horror as he realises what he is watching... Makes u think how often stuff like this happens...
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Harrison Ford at his best!
kristynbrown13 October 2005
Whether you're Irish, English, American, or just a big fan of Harrison Ford or Sean Bean, this film is a must-see! Harrison was a perfect fit for this family man, reluctant hero role. He's no super-action hero or martyr, just a man in the wrong place at the wrong time trying to protect his family and prevent the slaughter of innocents. But when the terrorists seek revenge by targeting his family, Jack Ryan is forced to use any means necessary to keep his loved ones safe. Sean Bean plays a convincing villain as usual, donning a convincing Irish accent and his signature sinister expression. His performance was one of his best to date and kudos to Mr. Bean for creating a villain with whom we can sympathize. Anne Archer's character is weak however, typical damsel-in-distress wife and mother relying completely on her husband for protection and having no self-defense skills whatsoever. Thora Birch is adorable in her pre-pubescent innocence. Samuel Jackson as usual does little to step out of his smooth-talking, sarcastic typecast and again plays the same character he plays in every film to date. The film bounces between edge-of-your-seat thriller and slow-moving CIA analysis, but the scenes of action and the superb acting of Harrison Ford more than make up for any slow parts.
efficient film
ary2 November 1998
Patriot Games is an efficient film,that bets in the action scenes,all of them well- accomplished,and in the suspense.The story is involving,mostly because it touches in so genuine sentiments,like hate and revenge.Based on Tom Clancy's book,the film tells the story of Jack Ryan,an ex-CIA agent that,during his stay in the United Kingdom,witnesses an attempt against the royal family.Jack Ryan saves them,who would certainly be killed,but,in doing that,he kills the brother of one of the IRA's terrorists,Sean Miller(Sean Bean).Miller scapes,and begins to hunting Ryan's family,with the help of his two best friends,the characters of Patrick Bergin and Polly Walker.I certainlly think that this movie represents a good entertainment,without bigger compromises,that counts with a good script and an expensive production,directed with master-ship by Phillip Noyce,but I disagree with the choice of Harrison Ford for the leading character.He doesn't give,in my view,the image of a tough and implacable man,mostly when we see him in the first half - hour,over the bed,holding a bottle of champagne,talking to Anne Archer.Considering the hypothesis of re-casting the crew,if Laura Linney had done Polly Walker's role,things would be better.
Great
jm197228 June 2000
Not many action movies have everything. This one has a great action star, who delivers, great music, great plot and great action sequences. The Scene in the house at the end is terrific.

It is one of my favorite action movies
Good movie.
Skeefers7 April 2000
Very good movie, well done. The book is easier to read than the movie is to watch, but its still a good attention keeper. It uses lots of good camera angles, my favorite being the spy camera under the door into the IRA occupied room, and the spy camera in the light in the bookstore.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Out of the Tom Clancy movie adaptations I have seen, this is my favorite.
Aaron137510 January 2010
Let me say that I have only seen this one, "The Hunt for Red October", and "Clear and Present Danger". I enjoyed this one and Red October a good bit. Was not really crazy for "Clear and Present Danger", I just for some reason found it rather boring compared to the other two movies. I do not know why this one is my favorite, but it just seemed to work for me in a way the next movie would not. Harrison Ford in the role trying to protect his wife and daughter from the revenge minded IRA terrorist had more of an emotional impact and really got you going whereas Present Danger just was missing that and basically banished Ryan's wife (the character Harrison Ford plays) to nothing more than a guest appearance or cameo. This one is about Jack Ryan who I think works for the CIA, he is over in England and spots in the nick of time a couple of IRA guys about to do some bad stuff. Well he basically thwarts them killing one of them and getting himself injured in the process. Well the other guy ends up going for revenge as the other guy killed was his brother. Some good action scenes and drama in this one and it has a really nice concluding scene. As an added bonus Richard Harris is also in it it in a fine supporting role and Sean Bean is great as the IRA terrorist. Of the three Clancy movies this one to me really hooks you in and has the best plot.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this