IMDb > Patriot Games (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Patriot Games

Patriot Games More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Typical terrible movie filled with holes and flaws

Author: digitalbeachbum from United States
30 July 2016

One of Harrison Ford's worst movies and I believe would have been better if they had continuity with the character from Hunt for Red October (Alex Baldwin). I saw this when it was released in '92 and walked out of the theater laughing. It had an interesting story line but going from book to movie is always difficult to transition. While there are some interesting action scenes there is too much unbelievable to reverse the negativity of the movie. I found the script to be filled with plot holes, several action scenes are impossible in real life and the inaccuracies of technical jargon or equipment are plot filler to amaze the ignorant viewer. 1/10 stars because it could have been so much better.

It has it's moments

Author: Polaris_DiB from United States
5 November 2005

This movie has very few things that stand out from other movies of its type. In structure, it has nothing: a man is forced into defeating terrorists to save his family. The man is Harrison Ford playing the same role he does often, the unwilling hero who must negotiate evil to protect his family and ultimately the world. Being that it's a Tom Clancy story, it involves a lot of helicopters.

It's worth watching though for maybe a few subtleties. For one thing, the quicker exposition of the plight of the family and how it isn't really overplayed or over-dramatized. In theory, this film could almost be a little more realistic than the usual snazzy explosion-thriller. Also it has one of those "slam-bang" endings that is actually pretty exciting. Thus, it has just enough stuff in it to keep it interesting and watchable, though it's extremely forgettable and rather uninteresting.

For me the only thing that ended up piqueing my interest is seeing Thora Birch being her usual sarcastic self at such a young age. Whodathought that someone's personality would also go through their acting careers at completely different stages of life? --PolarisDiB

Patriot Games

Author: rpeter1 from United States
3 January 2005

A little bothered by the scene on the boat at the end of the movie. The anchor ends up embedded in the hull of the boat but the terrorist ends up impaled on the anchor. My experience with boat anchors is that it has one set of flukes - so how do the flukes end up in two places???? Am I missing something here??? Overall, a good movie. Saw it for first time on 01/02/05. Was unaware it was part of series. Where was their house??? Is this based on actual events??? Was there any backlash directed at Harrison Ford or any of the other characters from the IRA or any other Irish groups for their depiction as terrorists?? Is there a follow up planned for this movie??

I screwed up by reading the book first

Author: Krepta from Maryland, USA
2 August 2002

I think if I had seen the movie first, I might have liked it better than I did, comparing it the whole time. Then again, some of my friends who hadn't read the book didn't understand a lot of it.

A lot of explanations for why things happened were left out of the movie, so that even I, who knew why they'd (SPOILER) bugged the book shop, was left asking "Why?"

Characters were left underdeveloped, or were purposely shortchanged. (SPOILER, again) One of the big themes in the book was that Jack didn't [i]like[/i] killing, and didn't [i]want[/i] to. So what does he do at the end? Impales the bad guy on an anchor. They sacrificed a lot of good, smart story for some action that wasn't worth the sacrifice. The book was a smart read that made you think, and had enough action to be exciting. The movie was simply action, and it wasn't that you had to think, it was just confusing.

Now, after I've bashed the movie, I'd like to say it wasn't [i]that[/i] bad, just horrible [i]compared to the book.[/i] Harrison Ford redeemed the movie enough to make it worthwhile.

::Absolutely unrelated and not important:: For all Sea Quest Fans, if there are any left: The one scientist with the glasses, the geeky guy, was here, too, playing a geeky guy with glasses who helped Jack with the satelite shots.

All right, but not as good as the novel.

Author: powerkatz2002
13 July 2002

First off let me say I loved Patriot Games the book it was simply spellbinding. But the movie I didn't like as much. I feel everything was happening too fast in the movie. Right after you got through one major event it seemed another one happened. Some good effects and good acting made up for that. Overall I'd have to say it was a pretty good adaptation of the novel not the best but, all right.

How About a Little Common Sense?

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
14 September 2001

I really like Harrison Ford. His boyish smile and his pained workmanship approach to life in his movies is really enjoyable. I thought his character was fine in this movie except the writers had him doing ridiculous, almost comedic, things to get himself into trouble. We have this bunch of Irish terrorists, one of whom has gone off his hinges because of the loss of a brother, going bananas in his obsession with killing and punishing Ford's character. So, knowing this, what do we do. Oh, I know. Let's go to the most deserted, unprotected place. Let's take along the political figure the crazies are after, and leave them unprotected. It doesn't matter that the wife and daughter have nearly been killed. Let's stick them out there in as much harm's way as possible. There is a lot to recommend this movie as far as atmosphere and a presentation of the zealots that create the situation. But, what do you know, Hollywood has to once again make them superhuman, virtually impenetrable, with the tenacity of the shark in Jaws. This could have been a finely crafted thriller. The situation is set up wonderfully. The terror is there. Isn't it enough to be looking over the shoulder at every move. It ends up being another Indiana Jones conclusion, incredibly contrived, and totally unbelievable. I wanted to like this because I like Harrison Ford and Tom Clancy. It could have been so much more, if the script didn't fall back on every formula imaginable.

Good, but not as good as Hunt for Red October.

Author: Fred M. Hung from New York, NY
2 April 1999

I've always seen Jack Ryan as a revisionist Bond, what Ian Fleming would have written had he been ... well .. more American and less campy.

Ryan is a patriot and family, and to that extent Harrison Ford does the character credit. However, something felt lost in the transition. Obviously Paramount thought Ford would draw a larger box office, and Ford does have more screen presence than Baldwin. However, while Jack Ryan was a little naive, eager, intelligent and sarcastic in Hunt for Red October, Ford just seems to be monotonously brooding throughout most of Patriot Games.

Granted, Clancy's book needed some major rework before transitioning to film. Donald Stewart adapted the novel wonderfully until the last 5 minutes. Perhaps my expectations were a little too high, but a fist fight on a power boat in the middle of Chesapeake Bay is a little hackneyed.

Overall, the film is still good, definitely outranking the calibre of traditional Hollywood explosion-thons. Patriot Games will actually engage you in an engrossing story. I just wish Baldwin and director John McTiernan had agreed to return. Phillip Noyce just does not understand pacing or continuity.

Not necessarily bad

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
22 August 2008

I haven't read the novel, but apparently it wouldn't make much of a difference; Clancy wanted nothing to do with this after reading the first draft. This is perhaps not really a movie based on a book of his, rather more of a Ford one loosely based on an original piece of writing. That doesn't have to be a negative aspect. It's put together just fine. The plot is emotional and straightforward, especially(although not only) compared to The Hunt for Red October. The pacing is reasonable, it's not downright boring. The dialog is plain and unmemorable, if not poor. The acting is sufficient. The characters aren't particularly layered, and one or two could be cut with seemingly no impact on the overall thing. Has Sam Jackson ever seemed so insignificant, before or since? This tries harder to appeal to the masses, mainly by implying sex and being crass. The violence isn't that strong. The language, however, is harsher and in greater amount than its predecessor, with no justification. The action is relatively plentiful(albeit not enough for this to go entirely work as that, nor can it be called an all-out political thriller... they should have picked a direction and stuck with it, in my opinion) in this, and it's well-done and entertaining. I recommend this to those looking for lighter fare than the preceding entry in the series, and fans of Harrison. 7/10

A Fairly Good Movie Despite Its Silly beginning

Author: murray_johnc from Canada
21 February 2011

A retired CIA operative takes his family on a relaxing vacation to London England and hey presto, he finds himself in exactly the right place at exactly the right time to thwart an IRA attempt to kidnap a member of the British royal family. Yeah right, a totally believable story line - NOT! The odds must be in the billions. A film like Die Hard can get away with this sort of nonsense because it is a "semi tongue-in-cheek" action movie; Patriot Games takes itself far too seriously for it to get away with such a ridiculous plot contrivance. Clear and Present Danger had a far better script because Jack Ryan was propelled into the thick of things due to his being an active field operative

Gimme a break!

Author: rotc1 from United States
1 January 2005

Does anyone remember the scene where the IRA busted their fellow terrorist out of the back of that police truck? Well here's my question.

Why on earth would the police have been transporting a dangerous criminal who tried to kill members of the royal family in front of Buckinham Palace.....UNARMED. The police had no weapons. Not even a can of mace.

I still remember that line. The terrorists says "throw down your weapons" and the cop goes "we are unarmed".

Uh, yeah. Chalk one up for British security.

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]