IMDb > Over the Hill (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Over the Hill More at IMDbPro »

fantastic

Author: selffamily from New Zealand
19 April 2012

This is one of my all-time favourites. I like Olympia Dukakis, Derek Fowlds and Sigrid Thornton, but apart from that, it's a romp, a lesson in how NOT to treat your oldies and there are glorious views of Australian outback thrown in. Never too serious, never too flippant, and with characters I warmed to straight away (as opposed to hating everyone like other reviewers), I kept waiting for something monstrous to happen the first time, but it didn't, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Watched it several times and will undoubtedly watch it again. It's a mildly humorous story of somebody rebelling in a very gentle way.

We need it on DVD though!

Middle-age woman does an Australian road-trip

Author: morgensenj
19 March 2008

-My Mom thoroughly enjoyed this movie, so much so that it is one she wanted for her personal library.

-Similiar to another individual's comment which I read, at first you tend to dislike all the characters, however if you can get through the first 5-10 minutes you will fall in love and respect the lead character.

-Once this happens you cannot but help yourself to continue on with her on her adventure.

-Obscure film, although lead character is famous U.S. actress which is probably the reason we were interested in watching it.

-Because it is a film my Mom enjoyed so much I would definitely watch it with her again. It would be one of those movies in her collection that we would just up and watch every now and then.

-There are a couple of friends that I would recommend this movie to as I know they would find it interesting and enjoyable.

-I have always had a wish to visit Austrailia and in a way my Mom and I did together.

Driveabout

Author: baldrick2dogs from Saudi Arabia
4 October 2005

I wanted to write about this for several reasons. First and foremost was that IMDb has helped me in the past so it's time to put back in. Second was that it is based in Australia, where I've visited a few times and third, a granny in a supercharged hot rod! If you can get through the first five minutes it's not a bad film. I took an instant dislike to all the characters, including Alma, but as the movie unfolded you start to warm to her. Her Yuppie daughter is also instantly dislikeable, along with her politician husband. Dutch was a surprise to me. The retired dentist's two close encounters with Alma added a little light relief to the story, not surprising since he starred in Britain's "Yes Minister" and I hardly recognised him sporting a pony tail and all. There were a few scenes that didn't seem to fit and would have been happy to have them edited out, particularly the one with the Aboriginie women and her 'revelation', or 'trip' or whatever was going on. Also in the 'finger pointing scene' towards the end of the film the acting deteriorated so badly, I thought maybe they'd changed directors on some such. There are shades of Mad Max (the first episode) thrown in for good measure, as well as a love interest or two. To sum up, in Australia the Aboriginies go on 'walkabout' (now there was a good film) to discover themselves, well Alma does it in her orange '59 Bel-Air. Would I watch it again? I doubt it. Not my genre, but to start the ball rolling on this movie I sacrificed an night without sci-fi and enjoyed it.