The Opposite Sex and How to Live with Them

Very well written and very overlooked...

Author: Pookyiscute from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
7 November 2005

Unfortunately sometimes a movie like this comes along, and is very much overlooked by the mainstream. I love it more and more each time I see it. The writing is hysterical and the deliverance by each and every one of the characters is perfect. Kevin Pollack is probably the best character, and most suited for the role in the film.

At the beginning of the movie, Courtney Cox meets the man she will eventually end up with in the film (I assure, I haven't ruined anything for you). From beginning to end you hear the opposite sex's view points on love, sex, friends, parents, marriage, and many more topics.

An adult film, yes, but witty, clever and full of life, is how I would categorize it. It's very enjoyable!

still waiting for the DVD as well

Author: clg_hdg from United States
25 October 2006

..rented this at a local video store some years back,and have held onto my old VHS copy (the only VHS tape in my movie collection,i might add),in the hopes that one day it will be available on DVD.it is just a funny,repeat-view,movie.the characters are mostly identifiable with people that we've known or do know,the situations are not far off from nowadays.Courtney cox and ayre gross are perfect in their roles,as was Kevin pollack.no matter what movie he comes out in,from the grumpy old men movies to serious stuff,he always makes a film that much better.the same cannot be said for Julie brown.need an annoying,grating sidekick type? Julie brown it is.here's to hoping for a DVD release someday.

Not that Bad!

Author: Christopher Cuppett (cuppdog@netscape.net) from Richmond, Virginia, USA
1 August 2003

OK, so this movie is no "Ben-Hur," but the worst movie ever? I've heard that the new Jennifer Lopez movie "Gigli" may be worthy of that title, but it isn't fair to put "Opposite Sex..." in that same league. Several of my friends and I thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie. I personally think Kevin Pollack is hilarious in his role and there are more than a few situations where you can't help but laugh out loud. Granted, if you're waiting to see a film with wide critical acclaim and great acting, then "Opposite Sex..." probably isn't for you. But if you just want to enjoy yourself and laugh, you should give this movie a chance.

Very Funny and entertaining movie

Author: (darth_borehd@yahoo.com) from United States
25 April 2006

This is a very funny and warm-hearted movie from start to finish. Some friends found this on videotape several years ago and it's always been a favorite of every one I know. The faux documentary style is very funny and the main couple are very believable as two 20-30 aged people beginning a relationship and encountering each other's relatives and friends. As a comedy about dating, its a lot better than Meet the Parents and its sequel. There's a lot of gags and in-jokes that people of this generation will identify with (i.e. "It looks like something from Dune!").

I have no idea why some of the other reviewers gave it such bad marks. Everybody I know who has seen the movie has no idea why it wasn't a hit and hasn't appeared on DVD. I can only guess that maybe those not in their twenties during the 90's just can't identify with it.

Would love this quirky movie on DVD

Author: dhgatsby from United States
26 April 2009

I know this is a quirky movie, but i really liked it. it spoke to me when i was in dating mode. for all the titles out there you'd think this would be one of them. please release on DVD. I loved the story lines and there are some really funny, pertinent-to-dating, scenes and story lines. I am not a huge fan of Courtney Cox's acting skills but she does a decent job in this. It also helps that i love Boston/green monster and this takes place there, and they show a lot of good olé Boston landmarks.

Arie gross and k. pollack do a fantastic good cop bad cop along with Julie brown.

No Monica, no Friends, no comedy

Author: courteney_greene
20 June 2002

Two very different people fall in love, they decide to move in together, a lot of things go wrong, happy ending: they get married. Does it really take more than an hour to tell this story? The meaningless plot reminds me of those great 80s movies. The only difference: the movie doesn't contain any of those funny 80s scenes, it doesn't even makes you laugh at all. I like happy-ending movies, but this is just another happy ending story. Nothing more to say.

Genre-blending Romantic Comedy

Author: tadanahey from Atlanta
2 October 2016

A very humorous take on the Romantic Comedy! It combines the standard Rom-Com story-line with elements of mock-umentary and nature films. Ayre Gross and Kevin Pollak are hysterical best friends, navigating the complications of the singles scene. It includes direct interviews, comments made directly to the camera and a 'wild-kingdom' approach to documenting the courtship between Gross and Cox. Courtney Cox and Julie Brown offer their own hysterical take from the female point of view on the same story. If you're unfamiliar with Kevin Pollak's stand up comedy or other character roles, this film is the perfect vehicle incorporating his impersonations and improvisation work. Funny, inventive and memorable! Very underrated. :)

We need the DVD!!!

Author: MustangKilla from South Florida
19 November 2008

The best movie not many people have seen!!! I saw this years ago and I still love it. Lines like the answer machine "Hi, you've reached the household of Carrie and Mr S***" LOL!!! OMG this movie was so great! Campy humor, Big name actors in an awesome B film and yet this movie has only been rated 275 times???!!! Hell, doesn't anyone remember the original Julie Brown???!!! That crazy annoying voice! The insane hairdo(s). If you still on a VHS player, find this- but it is a shame to watch a great film wither away on VHS when the DVD would be so great to add to my collection. This is a definite for the masses... Get the word out so we can put this on DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The worst movie...ever?

Author: Nathan Clarke (nwclarke@hotmail.com) from Chilliwack, BC
27 April 1999

You know a movie cannot be too good when the headliner is Ayre Gross. Best known for his role as 'Gordo' in the stinker "Soul Man", Gross doesn't impress here. Playing David Crowne opposite a rare pre-Friends cinematic appearance by Courtney Cox, Gross painstakingly delivers his dialogue to the audience. Kevin Pollock and Julie Brown are simply not funny.(this begs the question: when is Julie Brown ever funny.) The characters constantly pan to the camera as if to have conversations with the audience explaining their predicaments. Pollock's character, Eli, is a rote "Ladies' Man" while Julie Brown plays 'Zoe' thus accentuating her quirkiness. I ask myself was Judy Tenuta too busy during this shoot? Zoe's role in the movie is the zany-yet-supportive friend. Cheesy lines and generalisations about the Boston singles scene abound. Women are objects and men do not fare much better. The movie attempts to analyse all the phases of a relationship, and barely achieves its goal; I would recommend you turn the opposite way when you see "The Opposite Sex" on tv or the video rack.

I don't care what you say...I love this film

Author: kanoe_mi from United States
23 July 2013

My roommate in college told me we needed to rent this movie (VHS) because she thought it was hilarious. Needless to say, it became our room movie and decided to buy it because we rented it every month. Everyone who visited us had to sit through this movie at least once. The movie never got old for my roommies and I but we just liked that we could all put ourselves in the characters shoes when it comes to relationships. Yes, for you movie aficionados out there, those who rated this movie as horrible, it seems like this movie was made for fun and that's how we, who enjoyed the quirkiness of the movie, see it.

Funny story...years later while attending one my friend's stage show in Hollywood I actually met Arye Gross and I told him how it was our mascot movie for our dorm room. He looked at me funny and even he said that the movie was crap and couldn't believe he met someone actually liked it. I just had to let him know that we appreciated watching the extreme relationship journey between two people because we all have in some ways experienced each movie character's "dilemma".

I would say it is like reality TV with a script and bad improv in the 90s. Seriously? Like we don't see this stuff on reality shows now.