IMDb > Newsies (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Newsies

Newsies More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Lots of Fun, and Tuneful Too!

Author: kalel6868 from Louisville, Kentucky
5 December 2002

Waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the early 1990's, when Jeffrey Katzenberg was still a top exec at Disney, he had one of his less successful ideas -- to bring back the break-into-song musical. So, as the story goes, he selected three scripts that were about to go into production and gave them to Disney Music Maestro Alan Menken and asked him which of the scripts could be turned into a musical.

And that's how NEWSIES was born.

It's a great story, too, being a fictionalized account of the newsboy strike in New York at the turn of the century. It follows the exploits of a ragtag band of teenage boys, including Cowboy (Christian Bale), who dreams of becoming a ranch hand in Santa Fe, and David & Les (David Moscow & Luke Edwards), brothers who take up selling newspapers when their father is injured on the job.

Conflict arises when Joseph Pulitzer (Robert Duval) gets greedy and raises the price of his newspapers to the newsboys, but not to the public. The outraged "newsies" decide to go on strike, which eventually galvanizes all the working children in the city to stand up for themselves.

It's a fun film, with Duval playing his villain to the hilt, but Ann-Margret is wasted in her role as a showgirl (both of her musical numbers are badly edited down to just snippets of song). Bale is the real wonder here, though, singing and dancing with surprising aplomb. The songs overall are quite good, but a couple of them are hard to distinguish from each other. My favorites are the opening number, "Carrying the Banner," and the rousing "The World Will Know." It seems odd, though, that Duval doesn't get a musical number of his own, considering in Disney's animated musicals the villains usually get the best songs ("Poor Unfortunate Souls" or "Be Prepared" anyone?).

It's a shame that the film didn't do better financially, since as a result of its dismal box office Disney declined to ever make another like it. First time director Kenny Ortega, who also choreographed (he was known for his choreography of DIRTY DANCING), directed one more feature after this, the underrated Bette Midler flick HOCUS POCUS; since that film also failed to find an audience, he hasn't directed a movie since. And that's a shame; he has a very distinctive kinetic style that served both films well.

Seek out a copy of NEWSIES, and go for the widescreen version. You won't be disappointed!

Movie that never gets old!

Author: fearfalls from United States
27 March 2005

When I first watched this movie, I was just 3 years old.. My mom tells me that my little brother and I used to dance and jump off couches and try to spin around on the ceiling fan, and sing, when we watched this movie...

Recently, it was being mentioned to me for suggestions for our school chorus.. I began to look things up about the movie, and all of a sudden, had an urge to go out and buy it the next day. I've had the movie for a week, and have already watched it 6 times.

Around 12 or 13 years later, the movie still has me wanting to dance and sing along... This is a movie that never gets old, no matter what your age.

A Thousand Fans. One Great Film.

Author: Jennifer (jennibass@excite.com) from Seattle, WA
3 January 2000

"Newsies" is one of the few Disney films that can be classified as 'great'. What makes it even more amazing is the fact that, although it's a Disney movie and based on actual events, it actually stays very close to what actually happened. (Who would've thought?) The movie has a very good script, great acting, and music that make even the biggest musical-hater tapping his/her feet. Add into this mix show-stopping choreography, humor, and some of the best actors and actresses you can find anywhere, and you will see why this movie has generated more fans than any other movie in history.

Excellent Movie

Author: vampireslayer277-1 from ontario, canada
5 August 2004

This is a fantastic movie for people of all ages. It has historical information presented in a fun, and exciting way that keeps viewers entertained throughout. It is a brilliant musical filled with catchy tunes by Academy Award Winner Alan Menken, that wrote songs for The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, that keep you humming and singing even after the movie is over. Great dialogue between characters and fantastic dance sequences. The Newsies is filled with a incredibly talented cast, including Christian Bale, Robert Duvall, Gabriel Damon, Max Casella, Aaron Lohr, Ann-Margaret, David Moscow, and much more. Overall, a very entertaining movie, highly recommended for everyone!!!

Carry the banner!

Author: Shana Mason (BRiTbOhO83@aol.com) from Jupiter, Florida
24 November 2002

I'm 19 years old in college. I sing the music from this movie on my way to class. And people stop me and say "that's from 'Newsies!' I love that movie!" How many times do you get that kind of response? This movie was exciting, well-choreographed, and funny. It has the best ingredients a musical could have. The best part...you can find this stuff in the history books (well, maybe not dancing newsboys and Robert Duvall playing Joseph Pulitzer...but nobody's perfect...except Christian Bale). See it, love it, brings the kids. They'll want to carry the banner after the movie's long over.

i absolutely love this movei!!

Author: Funnibone31 from new jersey
16 September 2002

apart from being a wonderful musical (which i've grown up watching so i can tell a good from a bad) it also has a wonderful story-line. the plot is so well thought of, it isn't every day when they make a musical about a strike that happened in 1899. i fell in love with this movie the first time i watched it. it's classical, and when you see it, you can't help but liking it. the dancing, acting, and singing is great. i don't know many teenagers who can dance and sing like that! evenn thought this movie was made 10 years ago and i don't remember it, it's starting to come back. my mom's friend called one day saying that her daughter loves this movie called newsies, and i said that i love it! i thought nobody knew about it, but i was wrong. how could you forget a great movie like this? if you haven't seen it, i gaurentee you 100% that you will probably end up liking it as much as i do.

This is a movie that you can STAND UP AND CHEER about!

Author: scoobyg69 (scoobyg69@aol.com)
6 January 2000

In 1992, Hollywood has all but lost the fine art of movie-musicals, then along came this film & PRESTO, Disney breathed NEW LIFE into the forgotten art. NEWSIES entertains on ALL levels. The songs are singable and catchy, the dancing is lively, the charactors are lovable, and the story is PURELY INSPIRATIONAL!!! This movie works so well on the screen, and could VERY EASILY work as a Broadway Stage Production, that's the feeling it carries. This movie is So MUCH FUN, and I don't feel ashamed for announcing that. This is a movie that you could STAND UP and CHEER about! Christian Bale delivers a powerful performance in acting, singing, AND dancing, and the rest of the boys are equally as talanted. Headlines don't sell papes, NEWSIES sell papes, and they SOLD ME on this film. NEWSIES DELIVERS!!!!

An energetic,family friendly film.

Author: Mytowngirl (Grits-20@cox.net) from VA, USA
30 November 2004

It is so hard to find something that the whole family can watch but this one of the few. Christian Bale does it again bringing laughter and tears to his portrayal of Jack Kelly. Jack is a Newsie(a young boy who sells newspapers) that helps lead a stike against the newspaper owners of NYC in the late 1800's. With the help of his friends, Jack overcomes and wins his rights as a working boy of NYC. Along the way he wins the heart of the girl he loves,confronts his past, and sings and dances his way into the hearts of everyone how watches this film. The music and dance routines are fun and energetic,making everyone want to join in the fun. Includes apreances by:Bill Pulman and Ann-Margret. Music by: Alan Menkin

Fantastic Film!

Author: ForeverRhapsodey from Colorado, United States
24 December 2004

I loved this film! We had used a dance number from it for a musical I was in and we watched the film at out cast party. I had heard my friends talk about this film before but had never watched it. I love the story and everything about this film! The songs are so catchy, my personal favourites are Carrying The Banner, King of New York, and Seize the Day. My favourite characters are Mush, Jack, Les, Crutchy and David. I would recommend this film to anyone who likes musicals and good songs. Alan Menkin wrote most of the music and he was the one who wrote the music for The Little Mermaid so you know it has to be good! After watching this movie for the first time, I asked for it as a Christmas present. I also bought the soundtrack so that I could listen to the songs wherever I went. I love this musical and it will always be in my top 10 movies list. I don't see how anyone could not like this movie. I've never met anyone who hasn't liked it yet. Kind of like the same thing with the Princess Bride. I don't a single person who doesn't like this movie! I give it 10 stars!!!

Anyone can make a difference

Author: mkz1190 from United States
14 January 2005

Anyone can make a difference, if they believe in the cause … even the "Newsies." You've probably never heard of them, but in the cities, "Newsies are what sell the news." With their "expansion of the truth" these guys can sell anything. They may seem energetic and jolly, but their lives are a little different. Residents of the slums of New York, they strive just to fill their plates each day. While living in shelters, these orphans live their lives by their own rules. With no one but their newspaper distributor caring for them, they have formed their own family. But on their terms it's not all that bad. Living life with no rules … every kid's dream. But their futures are what may worry some.

This musical has everything from villains to the group hero. This typical Walt Disney Production is everything you image it would be: The same old story, an average "slum" like group and their attempt to change old ways of life. The "Newsies" are the rebels against the "Big-Guys" of the New York News Industry. Every rebel group has its leader, like the great, Susan B. Anthony, with her fight for women's rights. For the "Newsies" the handsome flirt, Jack Kelly was their Susan B. Anthony. This story isn't just on the fight for rights, it's like life...with love, laughter, and everyday problems. Also just like in life people lie, Jack Kelly lied of his future in the West. The reason for this was Realpolitik (there is no right or wrong when it comes to doing for your group/ country.) He wanted to be a strong leader for the others, but when it came down to possibly having a future Kelly, rethought his determination. In the end he got back on track and had more determination than ever before.

Ladies, if you would like to see young, handsome men dancing in "tight" newspaper guy costumes, then this is just the musical for you. But, for a 1992 production this musical has some "off the wall music", and the guys sure know how to "drop it like its hot", if you know what I mean. City slums, orphans forming their own family, a fight for change, young love and new friendships, you'll see what it would be like if you went into the real world a "little bit" early. You're never alone in the city of New York … Not even Jack Kelly! As a leader of the pack, he was never really alone. He always had his followers with him.

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]