IMDb > Mo' Money (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mo' Money More at IMDbPro »

An all time fave!

Author: michellejenni49 from ottawa, canada
24 April 2001

This movie is one of my all time favourites! If you enjoyed the humour from In Living Color, then you will really appreciate this movie. The movie is so enjoyable to watch because it has a bit of everything in it-action, comedy, romance and of course with the Wayans brothers you are sure to have good time! I liked seeing Damon's softer side towards Stacy Dash, and Marlon's jealousy towards his brother's relationship with this girl. Also, the nightclub scene is a riot! Overall,it is a great movie to watch, especially if you are a fan of the Wayans family, plus it has a wicked soundtrack as well!

Decent movie

Author: Erich8192 from Corpus Christi, Texas
26 February 2009

Motivated by my other weeks viewing of The Last Boy Scout (8 out of 10), I decided to follow up with another Damon Wayans film, this one directed by Peter MacDonald, the same man who did Rambo III of all films (quite a genre leap!). It is basically a middle of the road Romantic-Action-Comedy date film, the type that were churned out by the truckload during the early 1990's. R rated, so it dates this film a little bit, as the romantic-action-comedy genre is almost 100% exclusively a PG-13 genre for at least the last 10 years.

The film stars a moderately funny Damon Wayans (not his best) as a street wise guy trying to get 'mo money' by applying for a minimum wage desk job, as well as snag a girl. But things are never that simple, and his supposedly boring low paying job leads him into the middle of a laughable crime plot. The film also co-stars his annoying, goofy and much less funny younger brother Marlon Wayans (who always reminds me of a C-list celebrity in the Eddie Griffin style). I didn't recognize any of the other cast. The movie was written by Damon Wayans though, which is worth noting.

This is an average film at best, not unenjoyable, but certainly forgettable save for a couple funny scenes (very much in an In Living Color skit-com style). Every date movie cliché is here too, including the up-tight boyfriend, the fat and lovable comic relief, and the crime-caper sub-plot. Worth viewing only once for Wayans' Brothers fans, but otherwise not worth a DVD/VHS effort. But if it is on TV, check it out.

The acting bails out the writing...

Author: Tito-8 from North Bay, Ontario
14 January 1999

Although thin on plot, great performances by the leads do manage to save what would otherwise be another mediocre comedy. Damon Wayans shows considerable charisma as the lead, and has terrific chemistry with beautiful co-star Stacey Dash. To be sure, much of the humour here is silly, but when the pace is slower (and the dialogue is realistic), the film really does work .

decent

Author: milosz_m from Lodz, Poland
11 February 2005

I can't agree that this is a bad movie. I think it's funny and has a certain charm to it (thanks to incredible Stacey Dash and Damon Wayans). It's not The Thin Red Line but what did you expect? I expected a light and entertaining movie and that's exactly what it is. Nothing more nothing less. I would give it a 7 note but Stacey Dash deserves 2 more points:). For her alone this film is worth watching. But beside of her it has a nice romantic plot, the action plot isn't too sophisticated but it's enjoyable. The movie is a bit like a fairy tale(again thanks to Stacey Dash) but that gives it a lot of charm and I always enjoy watching it. I would highly recommend it if you want something light and easy for the evening.

I want a Rev. Pimp Daddy spin off.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
28 September 2014

Trying to get his career into the A-list, Damon Wayans gets a job in a credit card company.

He falls in love with Stacy Dash, winning her over by mocking her well educated, successful boyfriend

When he steals a couple of cards, the chief of security drags him into the big leagues of criminals....

Blimey, how someone's opinion of film can change in twenty years. When this was first released, it was one of my all time favourites, but I was only fifteen, and I thought Wayans was excellent in The Last Boy Scout, and this looked like fun.

Now even though the film is still fun, that's all it is, fun, and it's devoid of any proper narrative until halfway through the second act. Up until then it's just the Marlon and Damon comedy laugh in, as it just feels like a string of sketches (albeit amusing ones) leading up to the plot.

So the first forty five minutes is a sketch show,the last forty five an action movie, with a few dabs of romance, and some very, very, baggy clothes involved.

The toe leads are fun and keep the film together, Stacy Dash is beautiful but cannot act for a bean, and Diehl is your atypical nineties bad guy.

But the moral of the story is, its fun to steal, spend others money, and get in trouble. Oh, and to steal a dead persons flowers.

But it's still a fun movie.

Old Habits Die Hard

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
15 October 2013

I hired this because a friend of mine said that it was good, but also because Damon Wayans was in it and I find him to be a pretty good actor. This is a cool little movie, but really only good the first time one watches it. There are some funny things in it, but they are not hugely hilarious to label it a cult movie.

Basically this film is about a con-artist whose dad was a cop who was killed in the line of duty. As such he has given up on trying to be anything and lives his life trying to make "mo money" from conning people. He has a partner who looks up to him. After a rather clever con-job, he is caught out and manages to escape only to be caught by a transit cop. The judge dismisses the charges because his lawyer is awful (basically he raves on about the injustice of the system in a Negro evangelist sort of way) and thus he takes this final change to try and go straight.

While selling books, be meets a rather nice lady, and applies for a job where she works, being a credit card firm. It lands up that the security consultant is using the cards to purchase some really expensive things, and as the owners of the cards are dead, the company gets billed. The guy tries his hand at the fraud at first, but when he is caught, he is blackmailed into joining this gang.

I really can't think of anything in-depth about the movie with the exception that it has the idea that once you are a criminal, it is very difficult to escape your past. As they say, old habits die hard. He is tempted and falls for it, but moreso, the bad guy uses his past as a lever for blackmail to force him to continue. Thus we see that even though he is struggling to go straight, he is not.

Really, there isn't much to comment about this movie anyway. In the end it is a standard action/comedy which doesn't really stand out that much. I enjoyed it, but it lacks any deep meaning, or simple plain fun, that elevates others movies above it.

Not great, but has a lot of funny moments

Author: Nostra1 from Netherlands
13 August 2010

Johnny Stewart (Damon Wayans) and Seymour Stewart (Marlon Wayans) are two brothers who make their living as con men. They make up a new hustle and find a new victim to get their money. Unfortunately they are not always able to stay out of jail. When Johny meets Amber Evans (Stacey Dash) he is immediately in love with her. In order to find the way to her heart he decides to get a normal job at the office where Ambers works.

Mo'Money is a nice comedy. An attempt has been made to add some suspense to the movie by adding a story line about credit card fraud. The execution of this disappoints, which makes it feel tacked on and rushed.

I like the humor in this movie and it's the main reason I watched it again. One scene in which the brothers walk into a dining and tear it up in order to get a free sandwich is hilarious. There are some other scenes which I also like (like the one where Seymour wakes up in the morning next to the girl he picked up the night before).

Mo'Money is not a movie everyone will like or laugh about, but it's one which I like enough to have watched it again after not having seen it for many years.

Dreadful, mean-spirited movie

Author: squeezebox from United States
7 July 2010

MO' MONEY might have possibly been able to get away with its mean-spirited, homophobic and tasteless atmosphere if it were witty or clever or perhaps even funny. But it is none of the above. It's a moronic, nasty comedy by a moronic, nasty comedian who wants to drag everyone but himself through the mud.

Damon Wayans is one of those comedians who will tell a joke at anyone's expense but his own. His arrogance and meanness is palpable through every moment of this brutally unfunny comedy (which he wrote). He takes a potentially solid story and wastes it as nothing more than a vanity project for himself. As for the humor, he sticks to lampooning handicapped people and homosexuals (especially those with AIDS, which he seems to think is a real laugh riot).

His performance is also unbearable. Apparently wanting to show a slightly more serious side of his persona, he does this by playing every scene with the same blank expression on his face, except for a few moments when he feels the need to mug it up with his smug, self-indulgent smirk.

The other Wayans brothers have proved themselves willing to be the butt of their own jokes. It was once said the first person a good comedian has to be able to laugh at is himself. If Damon Wayans ever learned that lesson, it was definitely after he made MO' MONEY.

Mo Funny

Author: Newsense from United States
29 March 2009

This movie wont win any awards, get a fresh tomato on Rottentomatoes.com or be in the top 250 of IMDb(as if anybody cares what these stupid sheep think!) but it was still a funny movie and brought to you at a time when the Wayans Brothers were at the top of their game.

Story: Johnny Stewart(Damon Wayans) is a hustler that plans on going legit after meeting an attractive woman named Amber(Stacey Dash). So he gets a job as a mail room clerk and ends up stealing a credit card and goes on a shopping spree with his brother Seymour(Marlon Wayans). A roguish executive finds out and extorts Johnny to do his bidding.

The funniest scenes: every scene involving the beauty-challenged Charlotte is a riot. The scenes involving the lawyer that looks like a cross between Khujo Goodie of Goodie Mob and Rodney King is a hoot also. Damon and Marlon work well together on screen and generate the most laughs. Stacey Dash is great also as Amber. If you like to see the Wayans Brothers before they started making rubbish like Little Man than this movie is for you. Also recommended is the soundtrack to this movie.

Mo' Money

Author: bree thompson from United States
29 October 2006

Mo' Money is so funny. I can watch this movie over and over again. The script is kinda dry, but overall its still a great movie. My favorite part is when they are in the convenient store and Jhonny acts all crazy. The store owner is so funny. He really played his part. I also liked when Jhonny told this guy who tried to use the pay phone to shave the "crust stache" off of his lip. Rev. Pimp daddy is a trip. I like when he goes " I rest my soooouul" at the end of his opening statement. The judge made me laugh when he told him to get out of his court room before he put him away. Another good part was towards the end of the movie when the nurse yelled "now get out of my face" to cornbread.