IMDb > Medicine Man (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Solid rainforest drama

Author: discogoth from Toronto, Canada
9 December 2001

When this movie came out in 1992, many critics seemed to feel that it was mediocre, or average at best. Even as a hardcore Connery fan I avoided the film simply based on a handful of reviews I had read in the media at the time.

Fast forward nearly ten years and the mixed reviews here on imdb reinforced my apathy towards the film. It wasn't until I borrowed a copy through a local library that I finally watched the movie just now, and I fail to see why it's supposedly not up to par. I thought it was a fine film in most respects: the storytelling was good, the dialogue was snappy, the cinematography was wonderful, and it had a positive message. It's not an action movie, but I never felt bored at all...if anything, it was a refreshing change of pace and scenery, and Sean Connery continues to astound me with his versatility. His acting was superb, which is not really a big suprise, but he seemed more into this role than some others I've seen him in. Even the wig and ponytail looked real!

Like a lot of other people, I found Lorraine Bracco's character quite annoying, almost insufferable at certain points, but that's the whole point: her character is supposed to be like that, and the truth is that if she didn't come across as so irritating then that would have been failed acting skills on her part. I think she did a great job at being annoying, which is what she was supposed to do. I imagine that if you took some ivy league lab rat scholar and dumped them right in the middle of a situation and place that's totally foreign to them, you'd probably get a reaction like the one she portrayed. I found the two leads had a good chemistry, and the constant tension and conflict between them was very convincing and helped to propel the story along.

All in all an enjoyable film, but some of the other aspects could have and should have been expanded. I felt that they spent too much time searching the trees for the plant they needed, and the whole conflict with the developers was thrown in at too late a juncture. These aren't major failings however, so I'd recommend the film to anyone looking for something a bit different, and it's a must for any Connery fan. Don't wait ten years to see it simply because some critics didn't think it was a masterpiece. Screw the critics!

Medicine Man comments

Author: kate1031 from United States
3 May 2005

In this day and age of too much reality, this movie shows reality on a grand scale. Toned down with a romantic story. Connery and Bracco are a matched team working in harness, plus the fact of the disappearing rain forests, allows this movie to work for me. I have seen it 9 times in the past 13 years and each time it is a pleasure to watch. Goldsmith's score is the icing on the cake. This is a believable plot. But then I was raised up on movies since 1935 and I wish there were more movies like this.

The scene in the trees is like a ballet. There is a real story here and I personally like the whole mix.

McTiernan excellently weaves science, ethics and humor in this story about the search for a cancer cure in the jungle

Author: rmiranda-1 from Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
19 December 2003

A fine movie, not to be judged on the basis of Hollywood's usual recipe for storytelling. The eccentric scientist Robert Campbell (Connery) who has found a cure for cancer out in the jungle, is not able to reproduce its exact composition. Biologist Rae Crane (Bracco) biologist has dropped in from academia to be his judge and jury and decide on Campbell's continued funding.

The film pays a fair amount of attention to scientific detail (such as "running baselines" and using "experimental controls") interspersing it throughout with lively and shrewd exchanges between Campbell and Crane. To that they add mildly sarcastic observations on field work and fund-raising committees. Whilst this scientific sub-story line runs along, we are shown glimpses of life in a sympathetic tribe for which Campbell has become a sort of sugar daddy. Ethics and personal choice confront both scientists as they struggle with the decision to reserve the last bit of serum either for the good of humanity or the life of one of the tribe's children.

McTiernan has weaved all these elements excellently and Connery and Bracco play their roles so convincingly that you could be excused for thinking they may have scientific backgrounds in real life.

The film is a feast for educated people - which is probably the reason why many of the critics have missed the fine points and proceeded to rattle off some vitriolic commentary more aimed, in my view, at self-aggrandizement than constructive film criticism. One even complained that Medicine Man didn't quite match up to Die Hard. Now there is a proper comparison for you.

Superb Score, Superb Movie

Author: Bob-45 from Savannah, GA
29 August 2004

I've never understood why this movie is so poorly received. Sure, Lorraine Bracco is a bit shrill. No one said she came from a "high class" family, just that she was marrying well. My sister-in-law is a scientist with NIH and she came from humble roots. That Bracco got through to the tribe's medicine man when Connery had failed was the contrast between the two approaches the "white man" could make toward the natives. Bracco's negotiating skills and stubborn common sense contrasted nicely with Connery's unintentionally patronizing approach. Who COULD have been cast who would have been more convincing as the "civilized" woman "going native". Lauren Hutton, maybe. The solution to the mystery of "compound 37" was a genuine surprise, even though it was partially revealed on two separate occasions. The climax was intensely dramatic, ironic and sad; though, it too helped usher in the satisfying conclusion. Jerry Goldsmith's superb score raises what is already an outstanding movie. I don't care about anyone else's opinion. For me, "Medicine Man" is a "10".

I shouldn't have been surprised by this sleeper

Author: JerBear-2 from Ouachita National Forest
23 October 1998

A marvelous screenplay and great performances made this one of the better pictures of '92. The plot held my attention without the use of car chases or blowing up the superdome. Interesting, moving and intelligent.

Medicine Man

Author: presley-4 from Red Bud, IL
21 November 2002

The "Medicine Man" is set in the middle of the Amazon Rainforest which has become home to the eccentric Dr. Robert Campbell (Sean Connery), a biochemist doing field research. In befriending the natives and studying the `Tribal Witch Doctor' (Angelo Barra Moreira), he has accidentally discovered the cure for cancer from a flower extract that grows wild in the rainforest. He is assisted by Dr. Rae Crane (Lorraine Bracco) in trying unsuccessfully to duplicate the formula, before the commercial loggers come in and destroy his hope for a cure. Dr. Crane comes to the jungle with the motive of pulling the research grant for the project, as Dr. Campbell has been uncooperative with the bureaucracy. Coming to the jungle with guilt and regret from a prior research trip, `Morcara,' his work becomes his life, escaping reality and trying to compensate for the devastation he experienced. It was interesting to see how the natives accepted him, brought him into their `circle.' They accepted his medical knowledge and entwined it with their superstitions and natural remedies. He became so protective of the tribe, respecting their way of life, and customs that they come to trust him and call him the `Medicine Man.' The movie was released on February 7, 1992 and while the work of Director John McTierman, was different than his other movies "Hunt for Red October" or the "Predator," Sean Connery played out the part well. The sound of his voice is always welcomed. I've seen him in stronger parts, but I cannot see anyone taking his place beside Lorraine Bracco. The knowledge and wisdom of the experienced is passed to the inexperienced. I liked the environmental message that the director sent. The scenery was great from the tree top scenes to the trip through the jungle and the waterfalls. Anytime elements of nature can be used to heal the human body or someone can survive in the jungle by utilizing the natural habitat is a wonderful thing. It shows us everything actually depends on the natural creation of the earth from which it came.

Bravo Bracco & Connery!

Author: cherub439 from United States
27 July 2007

This movie is definitely on my list of the top ten - all time! I obviously enjoyed it enough to comment, 15 years later. I looked it up just out of curiosity because it is one of my favorites. I can't believe that it didn't get better ratings or awards. Lorraine Bracco and Sean Connery both did a phenomenal job and no matter how many times I watch this movie, I find it to be extremely touching and entertaining. I cannot believe Bracco was nominated by RAZZIE for the worst actress. Who are these people? Anyway, BRAVO Bracco & Connery! The world needs more movies such as these, instead of the blood and gore, violence etc. we see each day now!

outstanding movie unlike any other, funny exciting sad and inspirational(not in a preachy sort of way.)

Author: Megpie1017 from Wisconsin, USA
12 June 2004

This movie was great I have seen it about 5 times. Some people don't like this movie and that is because it is unlike any other out there. Also it's about the environment I'm not a big environmentalist and you don't have to be to enjoy this movie, but I don't think some people like that it is also about protecting the rain forest. But that is not all it is about it has a great story line, and also the acting is amazing. The characters really unfold you see why DR. Campbell is the way he is, although both people don't like each other in the beginning it is obvious that they are exactly what the other needs. The movie is great you don't have to be into the rain forest to enjoy it because there is a great story in front of the science information. This movie is exciting, funny sad and inspirational (but not in a preachy sort of way.) BOTTOM LINE: This movie is definitely worth watching you should give it a chance you will like it

Everything - suspense, romance, humor, a film for adults and kids with adults, which emphasizes very real current issues.

Author: Lynxspirit from United States
13 April 2006

One of the best films I have ever seen. The chemistry between Sean Connery and Lorraine Bracco was unbelievable, especially considering their differing temperaments, moral attitudes and the fact that this wasn't a 007 flick - the sexuality was compellingly subtle and much more subdued sophisticated, even considering the primitive setting. This is family friendly, in fact I would strongly recommend this to very effectively get some of today's most important ethical questions and serious potential worldwide implications and consequences across to the kids, but along with adult supervision and interaction. I found this suspenseful, romantic, informative, funny, sad and very disturbing. With all that, it still presented the very real and urgent current issues that left me strongly drawn to pack my bags and act on them myself. 10 out of 10.

A moving film with a real message, not your stock-standard Hollywood flick.

Author: dbrad86 from Australia
14 October 2005

I find this an excellent film staring Sean Connery and Lorraine Barcco, I've watched it over a dozen times. The film highlights issues of natural destruction that were very important during the 90s, particularly the destruction of rain forest and pervasiveness of Western civilisation upon small cultural societies.

Its a film thats been poorly received, partially I think, because it deviates from the "Hollywood" film that audiences expect to get from director John McTierman whose other titles include 'Predator'. The character Dr. Rae Crane (Lorraine Bracco) has not been received well by many audiences, some reviewers labeling her as a poor love interest/heroine. This is too simplistic and reliant on the stock standard structure of a "Hollywood" film. 'Medicine Man' is a film much more grounded in reality than it is in the aesthetically touched up films of "Hollywood" starting a lustful actress whose function is to provide a predictable love affair that undercuts the films plot. Cinematically 'Medicine Man' appears more like a documentary than a Hollywood film. It has no expensive sets, or perfected hair and makeup. The half naked natives are real, not America's ideal female body; the Amazon jungle in many shots is not the perfect 'sunset' look at nature that an idealistic 'Hollywood' film might produce; Dr Ray Crane is a character with a coarse voice, she's intelligent, wears unattractive glasses and loose fit clothing. At the lack of conforming to an 'ideal' and predictable character, Dr Ray Crane is more real. All of these help this film to diverge away from your typical 'Hollywood' structure and allow this film to present something real and informative about natural destruction which we might otherwise turn a blind eye towards.

If your looking for something informative and moving that's grounded in reality, I highly recommend this film. However, if you can't stand a film without the fast paced action, or the predictable fall in love at the end plot, be wary.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]