Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland

Visually fantastic!

Author: La Gremlin from Boston, MA
6 October 2000

Ever rent a movie out of curiosity because, although you've never heard a good thing about it, you want to see it anyway because you thought it looked good? That happened to me with "Little Nemo"; I rented it one summer and felt as if I had struck gold.

The thing that got me with this movie was that the animators managed to imitate the original Windsor McCay illustrations so closely. Being an illustrator myself, that completely won me over and that alone would be cause to recommend it. But this is also one of the most visually inventive animated films I've ever seen. I will not spoil the surprise by describing anything, but the way this movie depicts Slumberland is surely the best thing about it. This is definately worth hunting down.

A Lovely Masterpiece

Author: gracegibson from United States
9 January 2005

Ever since Walt Disney created the first animated cartoon, some have been great, OK, and truly bad. Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland, in my opinion, is one of those great animated movies. The plot, a young boy named Nemo having adventures in a magical place called Slumberland, will surely enchant its viewers and you will always remember the fun, whimsical music. Not to mention the animation is as magical as Slumberland itself (the work of millions of dollars). I'm surprised it did very poorly in the American box office. I heard that the reason for the huge flop was because it was "un-Disneylike". So what? Have you seen the crap Disney has been making lately? (with the exception of Pirates of the Caribbean). Little Nemo is one of the greatest kid movies ever made and if you have toddlers, I thoroughly recommend this movie.

"Kiddy" and "Kid Appropriate" are two very different things.

Author: ca_dale from Canada
5 June 2006

In reference to my review's my tag line, this is by no means a movie for "kids only". Looking back at Little Nemo as an adult, I'm surprised at how well it still holds up in my eyes. The writer's did a good job in making Little Nemo suitable for younger viewers, but without dumbing down the plot, dialogue, or artistic creativity of the film. There's no reason why a kids film can't be smart and original, and it really irks me when writers use a young target audience as an excuse to give us a second rate script.

Little Nemo is certainly unique if nothing else. The story follows a young, imaginative boy named Nemo as he travels through the mystical Slumberland. Nemo meets and befriends numerous people throughout Slumberland eventually earning the high esteem of the land's royal family. Unfortunately things go horribly wrong after Nemo's curiosity inadvertently leads him to unleash a virtual Pandora's Box, which threatens to destroy the kingdom. Can Nemo redeem himself and save his new friends?

The lead characters are very well developed, thanks in no small part to the great voice actors. They convey a genuine and convincing level of human emotion. Little Nemo has a very surreal atmosphere to it, which work perfectly at conveying the dreamy atmosphere of Slumberland. There are also some surprisingly dark and moody moments. Don't get me wrong, this isn't scary by any means, far from it, but the colors are very effective in conveying the tense emotion and gloomy atmosphere of these scenes. Likewise the more upbeat moments are also very well executed, with a bright vibrant array of reds, blues, yellows, etc. Really top-notch animation, that still holds up very well even by today's standards.

I would definitely recommend Little Nemo if you're looking for a quality children's film, that parents will likely enjoy as well.

They should re-release this on DVD or VCD

Author: Angel Meiru
9 July 2004

"Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland" (aka. Little Nemo: Dreamland no Daiboken) is quite a fun Euro-Anime film. It also spun off a video game based on the movie and it is a good film for those whom don't really remember or never heard of McKay's original comic series.

It is about a young boy named Nemo and his flying squirrel going on different dreamlike adventures, some of them having different results of their own. Sorry, I just don't feel like spoiling anyone today.

I swear, I cannot believe this film bombed outside of Europe and Asia, because it was "un-Disney like". Yeah, well, that is why Little Nemo is good. Alot of Disney's (recent) works are so sappy and sweetsy, like syrup on sugar on saccarine. Kind of like an unberable sweetness.

Anyways, check this movie out. You will be doing me and others whom remember this film a favor, and PLEASE put it on either DVD or VCD, with also the original Japanese and French tracks too!

PS. Did you know that Brian Froud, Moebius and Hayao Miyazaki all worked on Little Nemo? No wonder it is so great!

Why?

Author: Gmork-2 from Colorado
24 September 1998

It's sad to see this type of movie put down as a children's movie, because it's a cartoon. The dialogue isn't only not kid-like, but very refreshing in a cartoon. The art, and the colors... the music, all melts together into a work of art unappreciated by the general public. So I ask thee, why?

It's nice to relive your childhood every now and then

Author: abum190 from United States
9 January 2005

My sister and I used to go to this daycare where we watched a movie a day. We watched a lot of movies more than once and this was one of them, because everyone loved it so much. About a month ago, I remembered so little about the movie that I thought I had dreamed about it (kinda ironic, don't you think?). Then I looked it up on IMDb and realized it was a real movie. I got it for my sister for Christmas and having just watched it, I'm glad I did.

Nemo is a fun-loving boy who dreams that he goes to Slumberland, a magical kingdom that contains everything any kid would ever love. This place becomes a sort of reality for Nemo and he is entrusted as King Morpheus's heir and given a key to every door in the kingdom- however, he is asked to not open the door that has the key's symbol on it. Of course, he ends up opening it (with a little encouragement from a troublemaker named Flip) and the Nightmare King ends up kidnapping the king.

The movie is not an intricate masterpiece storywise, but the plot and characters are so much fun it really doesn't matter! The real joy here is the animated backgrounds and effects- this movie is a visual stunner.

"Little Nemo" a joy true to the spirit of the original

Author: greg-glen from Canada
5 March 2009

"Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland" is a joy and a wonder, just like the original Winsor McCay cartoons. For those ignorant of the history of American cartoons, McCay's "Little Nemo" series was a classic of naive pop surrealism exploring the adventures of a boy in the dream-world. McCay was sometimes deficient in spelling, but he was never deficient in drawing or imagination. Of course, the movie has to elide or telescope things a bit. After all, the original cartoon was a serial running episodically in newspapers. I find no serious fault with this. I took particular delight in how some scenes here meticulously mirrored the original cartoon. The animation is at various points dreamy, beautiful, dark, menacing and, of course, surreal. I think it is a mistake to view this film purely as a product of the anime industry - the film is instead a meeting of the Japanese culture with American culture. The merger of sensibilities here is quite wonderful. I loved the squirrel's petulant irritation at being called a "rat." And I loved the nightmare monster-heel. And, of course,the trickster figure, Pip. The whole thing has the quality of a twisting dream, sometimes good, sometimes bad, just like real dreams. Don't hesitate to buy and watch this. Greg Cameron, Surrey, B.C., Canada

An Inspired Story

Author: sidereal-3 from Calgary, Canada
2 September 2000

Little Nemo, a boy of about 5 or 6, enjoys the bucolic wonders, beauty and fun of Slumberland, but breaks a promise to the fatherly King Morpheus which unleashes the dark powers of the Nightmare King upon his friends. He must face his terror to rescue them.

A terrific children's fantasy without a whiff of adult subtext, demeaning remarks or misplaced self-consciousness. The drawings were beautiful and wondrous; the characters were interesting and unburdened by comic-book-style psychological problems; the storyline was generous and kind, without being obsequious or sentimental. There are some frightening scenes for preschool children, involving nightmares and the demonic Nightmare King, but the reconciliation at the end of the story makes it all worthwhile. Very tender children (age 2 - 4) may find these scenes too horrifying unless a parent is there to comfort.

9/10- A great film for kids, adults, and video-game connoisseurs. (WARNING... May contain some spoilers)

Author: Kadi Lynnith
24 July 1999

Imagine, for a moment, if you will, the time when you were a child. Imagine your happiest dream. You're there, youth restored. A child again. As you soar through the air on a strangely floating bed frame and mattress, you see everything you've ever lost, everything you have, and everything that could be possible. Your high-school girlfriend/boyfriend is there. So is your pet from childhood. There is the mystical ruins of the Cloud City you may have heard of in childhood.

This is the scenerio set up in Little Nemo, a tour de' force through the dream world as seen through the eyes of a ten year old boy in pre-civil war era New York. Based on the turn of the century comic strip serial- and more resently the wonderful video game classic for the NES- Nemo revolves around Nemo, who lives in a pre-World War era New York. Coinciding with the arrival of the World's Fair, Nemo's dreams begin to transcend reality, and one night he gets pulled into his own dreams-boy and mind.

From there Nemo is brought to the reality-or unreality- that he now lives in Slumberland, a Renassaince-like world of perfect harmony. Everything goes great with his new adoptive father, the king, and his step-sister, the Princess, whom he is attracted to. Then he encounters Flip, voiced by the loveable Mickey Rooney, who is an ex-con on the run in Slumberland for his reckless gambling and black market trading of bizarre Kitsch. From here, Nemo's life becomes a somewhat perverse combination of mindless, Yellow-Submarine inspired romping with the princess and wreckless parading with Flip. Nemo's happy little wonderland is burst, however, when Flip finally convinces Nemo to do the ultimate crime, which consists of opening the gates to Dream Hell. With the century-sealed gates now open, Dream Demons- Nightmares- parade around, slaughtering the palace guards and making off with a girlishly screaming King as Nemo and the Princess watch in horror. From here, the Nightmares begin to screw around with the dream world as well as the real world, sending Nemo on a mind blowing journey, bouncing him between the real world and the dream world until he ends up marooned in the middle of the dream world ocean. From this point Nemo, Flip, the Princess, as well as some outcasted and slightly psychotic Nightmares must travel into the realm of Nightmare Land, rescue the king, and kill the Nightmare Lord before he can combine and twist the real and dream worlds into his own perverse fantasy.

One of my favorite animated films from my childhood

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
9 October 2009

This is an anime film I remember vaguely from my childhood. I do remember renting the VHS while visiting my Aunt Sharon, and after a few (I think) years later, I had taped it; I still have it. After watching it, I absolutely love it! With wonderful animation and songs by the award-winning Sherman Brothers, who wrote songs for Disney films like The Jungle Book, The AristoCats, Winnie the Pooh, etc. The film is based on Winsor McCay's comic strip, who was a pioneer of animation; McCay also created the first Little Nemo animated movie in 1911.

The film starts when Nemo wakes up one night to an invitation to visit the wondrous world of Slumberland. There he becomes a playmate for King Morpheus' daughter Princess Camille and is dubbed a prince and heir to the throne. But soon finds that his new position involves the responsibility of protecting Slumberland. Nemo is warned never to open the door which holds the evil Nightmare King prisoner. Dared by a mischievous trickster named Flip, Nemo opens the door, and the Nightmare King slithers out and abducts King Morpheus on the night of Nemo's princely coronation. Assisted by his flying pet squirrel Icarus, Camille, the delicate Professor Genius, and Flip, Nemo travels to Nightmare Land to rescue the King.

I love to watch the little Princess giving Flip a slug in the face, and "sentencing" him to "NO CIGAR SMOKING!" I wish there is a no-smoking law. I also love the lovable Boop goblins who help Nemo on his quest. So overall, I loved this film and it will always been one of my favorite animated films. And one note: Little Nemo is the first anime film to receive a national wide U.S. theatrical release.