IMDb > Lincoln (1992) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Lincoln (TV) More at IMDbPro »

An Incredible masterpiece. ABC-TV should have been lauded for this presentation

Author: Peter22060 from United States
16 January 2005

This morning from midnight to 3:30, I watched my original taped broadcast from 1992, and was enthralled by this incredible treatment of our 16th president.

I have seen the Raymond Massey performance of ABE LINCOLN IN ILLINOIS, 1940 and he gave Abraham Lincoln such a great human presence. The performance of Henry Fonda as young Abe Lincoln, trial lawyer added some great humanity. Even Walter Huston's early thirties talkie added dimension to The Great Emancipator.

This production, Lincoln's own words spoken by Jason Robards gives the audience a complete portrait, the internal tortures of this self educated man. The death of his favorite son to typhoid fever in his first term, his struggles within his marriage and his constant torment with the reality of the War Between the States breathe new life into Abraham Lincoln the man.

Although this nation has sought to make festive weekends out of national holidays, maybe the media will once again separate the birthdays of George Washigton and Abraham Lincoln from President's Day and do homage by broadcasting this program once again on Lincoln's birthday.

Well done, unbiased: highly recommended.

Author: bpaulb from Bloomington, IN
6 July 2000

A reasonably fair, well-balanced portrayal of our 16th president. Not the glowing, untarnished lore I was steeped in while growing up in Springfield, Illinois. I have studied the life of Lincoln for four decades, both in the popular press and obscure scholarly works. I can truly recommend this work as an excellent introduction on the topic. A tip of the hat to Pete Kunhardt!

Lincoln was like us all: he made mistakes, he felt misery and he was, at times, mental. Unlike many of us, he lived his convictions. The man was human, the man was totally honorable and the man is my hero.

A noteworthy achievement

Author: Surfer-23
4 January 2000

An exceptional documentary on the life of Abraham Lincoln, told through narration, letters, speeches, and diaries.

I don't know if I quite agreed with the choice of Jason Robards as Lincoln, but this is just a matter of taste (although I have read descriptions of how Lincoln actually sounded).

You should, however, ignore this minor quibble. If you have any interest at all in one of history's most fascinating people, or even if you are already an expert on Lincoln, you should see this film.

Lincoln

Author: anonymous from Marietta, OH
8 May 1999

Outstanding documentary on the life of our 16th President with fantastic music by Alan Menken and the voices of some of Hollywood's finest, especially Robards as Lincoln.