IMDb > A League of Their Own (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A League of Their Own

A League of Their Own More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 17: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

While the Men Fought in War, the Women Folk Lead an All-American Baseball Team!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
8 August 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Set in the early 1940's, during the big one: World War II. The men were overseas either getting killed or killing opponents. But the women back home had to amuse themselves, so they started an all-American baseball team. This is their story.

A scout, Ernie Capadino, meets two women, Dottie Hinson and Kit Keller, at their farm one afternoon. Ernie was working for Mr. Harvey, founder of Harvey candy bars, who was starting a woman's baseball team. Dottie is quite good at baseball, but Kit wasn't, but Dottie wouldn't go with Ernie unless Kit could. Ernie is a very sarcastic man. He could really annoy people, but his cameo is scene stealing! They pick up another recruit for the team along the way: Marla Hooch, well, let's just say with her, her beauty is on the inside. They finally arrive at the field and meet other players: Doris Murphy, Mae "All the Way Mae" Mordabito, Evelyn Gardner and more. Ira Lowenstein, Harvey's right-hand man, showed the ladies the new uniforms: skirts. The girls didn't like them one bit.

All they needed now was a coach. Harvey seeked Jimmy Dugan, a washed up drunk baseball legend. Dugan, half sober, was delighted to coach the team. He expressed his gratitude to the women by tearing up their baseball cards and speaking not a word to them. Well, from then on, the ladies really played ball! One of them had a little boy, Stillwell, who would annoy the players. And Dugan just loved kids. I mean that sarcastically. Tension begins to build up: morale drops. Kit picks a fight with Doris. Kit is traded to the other team! Dottie's husband, Bob, returns from overseas and they want to go home, and Dugan is not happy about that, but Dottie returns to win the world series for them. Forty years later, the ladies, now old women, have a reunion. Sadly, Jimmy Dugan wasn't there. He had died five years earlier.

My opinion of this movie: pretty good. Geena Davis is very pretty, naturally Tom Hanks is good, but why do Tom Hanks' characters always have to yell so much? In all his movies, he either plays a guy who rants and raves or just snaps and starts screaming. Some Hanks movies I like are Big, Forrest Gump, The 'burbs, Turner & Hooch, The Green Mile. Tom Hanks is a good actor, I'm not saying anything against him, just that he ought to tell his characters to take a valium. Rosie O'Donnell, everyone's favorite mouth, is good too. Everybody is good! If you're a fan of Davis, Hanks, Madonna or whatever, then I recommend A League of Their Own!

Complete Ecstasy!

Author: penguinian from Coopersville, New York
26 July 2002

I have watched this movie every day since the day it came out. In being a softball player, it's great to see what women did in baseball back in those days. I loved the people they casted for the parts, they did an excellent job, especially Geena Davis. Anyone with eyes could see not only the pure talent flowing throughout this movie, but the on screen relationships. Complete ecstasy! An easy 10... easy!

The title says it all (Possible spoilers)

Author: bobbyknightmare from Bedford, PA
16 July 2002

It was like a cinema all star game. Tom Hanks' best performance (Sorry, Gump-heads), Madonna's best performance by far, Jon Lovitz' best performance, even Rosie O'Donnell was likable. It's not often when a movie comes along where everyone in the cast gives their best performance, but this is it. Add to it a real surprise climax that didn't follow the cliche sports movie formula, you have a film every bit as good as Slap Shot and A Season On The Brink.

A few things to look forward to:

Funniest lines: Tom Hanks

Funniest scene: Tom Hanks gets offered the Rockford managers' job

Funniest scene (non-verbal): Dueling signals in the dugout

Best scene: Tom Hanks trying to talk Geena Davis into staying with the team and not quit and get married

Choke back the tears scene: The telegram (You'll know it when you see it)

Underdog character you can't help but root for: Marla Hooch

Enjoy!

There's no crying in baseball!

Author: audrahi from Indiana
28 June 2002

I finally had to add this movie to my collection because I couldn't stand the commercials when it was run 100 times on TNT. I still pull this movie out when I want a good laugh (and cry--the scene where Geena Davis is sobbing alone in her room gets me every time). I wish I could have watched these girls in action for real. The game montage sequences still get my blood pumping after many, many viewings. Madonna actually does a good job in this movie, and my kids recognize Rosie O'Donnell from TV and "The Flintstones." They also know Tom Hanks since I have several of his movies too. The best scenes are when Jimmy is bawling out a player (hence my title) and getting revenge on Stillwell Angel (see the movie if you don't recall the name). Oh heck, the whole movie is good. Rent it, buy it, just see it!

A Baseball Coming Of Age Story For Women - But Men Will Enjoy It Too

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
26 February 2002

There's nothing particularly earth-shattering in this movie, which offers a heavily fictionalized account of the goings on in the "All American Girls Professional Baseball League" - a real baseball league formed during the Second World War as a means of keeping interest in the game alive while some of its biggest stars were fighting overseas.

There are some good performances to be found here. Tom Hanks - reunited with Director Penny Marshall (they worked together previously on "Big") offered his usual high calibre performance as Jimmy Dugan - an alcoholic ex-baseball star who (against his will) is assigned to manage the Rockford Peaches. Geena Davis was great as Dottie Hinson, the Peaches catcher and - as Dugan describes her - "the best player in the league." I was also impressed by Lori Petty as Kit Keller, Dottie's little sister. In a relatively brief role through the first half hour or so of the movie, Jon Lovitz was entirely believable as the scout (Ernie Capadino) who discovered Dottie and got her to agree to play. Several other "big" names appear - most notably Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell as teammates on the Peaches.

The movie is in many ways a coming of age story, with at least three subplots all revolving around the theme. First is Dugan's growth as the Peaches manager. Originally not interested in the team, showing up at games late and drunk, falling asleep in the dugout, he becomes almost fanatical in his desire to see the Peaches win the AAGPBL (now there's a mouthful!) World Series. The relationship between Dottie and Kit gets a lot of attention, as Kit's resentment of living in Dottie's shadow grows and grows throughout the movie. Then there's the story of Marla Hootch (played by Megan Cavanaugh), the homely, shy girl, raised by her widowed father as a tomboy, who - ironically enough - learns how to be a "lady" by the time she spends hanging out with "girl baseball players."

All in all, this is a good story, very entertaining, with good acting and good directing from Penny Marshall, who manages to create a real "game feel" in the baseball scenes and keeps us interested in the human interest sidelines without letting them bog us down.

7/10.

Enjoy baseball movie both men and women.

Author: cmyklefty from Philadelphia
10 February 2002

While the men were fighting for the World War II, America did not have enough men to play baseball. Women playing baseball during this trouble time in American history. Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Madonna, and Rosie O'Donnell are make excellence performances with Penny Marshall directing the film. A part of baseball history that should not be forgotten but remember. A movie worth treasuring in your collection.

Just a game?

Author: Ooh_Janae from Nebraska
22 December 2001

This is an excellent movie jam packed with talented actors and actresses. Gina Davis is wonderful as the beautiful, charming, athletic Dottie Hinson at catcher and Tom Hanks is brilliant in his role as the alcoholic team manager. Madonna and Rosie O'Donnel bring enlightening humor to the film and Lori Petty plays Dottie's annoying kid sister Kit perfectly. Everything about this film is magical and it's one of those films I've watched over and over again. The quick witted quotes are endless and the drama of the game will keep you watching the whole way through. Who says it's just a game...?

In a league of its own!

Author: Jim (jxander1@cfl.rr.com) from Orlando
18 November 2001

I have seen this movie at least five times, and I never tire of the humor or the drama. This is truly one of Hank's best performances. Geena Davis and Lori Petty are spectacular as well. Don't make a mistake this is not a "chick flick." This film speaks to anyone with a heart, a sense of humor, and a love of sports.

This movie does everything I want in a comedy/drama. I laughed out loud and I even teared up (all right I cried like a little girl - at the end at least). It manages to evoke emotions with so little effort. This is partially because the story itself is so touching, but the acting is equally responsible.

Even if you're a movie buff or a casual viewer, you can't miss with this one. You'll laugh, you may cry, and at the end of the movie you'll feel the better for watching it.

Lori Petty at her best!

Author: Lorifan from England
3 November 2001

A League of their Own is a top class film. Touching, intelligent, often laugh out loud funny, its a film of great warmth and emotion.

Tom Hanks gives the funniest performance of his career as the Peaches drunk, foul-tempered coach. Simply superb.

Lori Petty, as the feisty young pitcher, Kit Keller, is another highlight, investing her character with great passion and sympathy.

Great performances from all concerned, a loving depiction of the period, and a superb Baseball game climax, make this film an absolute treat from start to finish.

Girl Power

Author: Thornfield2 from West Valley
1 June 2001

Back in a time when all a women were expected to do was to stay in the kitchen and keep a household, a war broke out and everything changed. Men went off to war and women for the first time in history had a chance to enter into strange and exciting worlds that would have never been available to them otherwise. This film captures just this and the cast illustrated this fabulously. Geena Davis and Lori Petty (Kit and Dottie) were perfect as the sisters who were in constant competition with each other, more on Kit's end who had an apparent chip on her shoulder and Dottie's take charge(indirectly)attitude and "I'm in this league for my sister" was probably the greatest role in her career. She displayed her strength as woman remarkably well. Kit's jealousy was also played very well by Petty, who with one look made you feel for her. Tom Hanks talent was magnified in his role as the crude but charming lush, Jimmy Dugan who really gets a chance to redeem himself later in the film. He, in my opinion is one of the finest actors of our day. Doris (Rosie O'Donnel), May (Madonna) and all the other ladies played hard, had fun and had a passion for baseball just as much or perhaps a little more than any man.