IMDb > A League of Their Own (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A League of Their Own

A League of Their Own More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Author: Alice from Bristol, England
5 March 2002

A League of Their Own is heartwarming and extremely funny. I have only watched twice but the tears come rolling down my cheeks of laughter and sadness. It is a truly passinate film for a sport enjoyed by people from all over the world.

A League ALL their own!

Author: David, Film Freak from Palmerston North, New Zealand
21 January 2002

Based on a true story, 'A League Of Their Own' follows the first season of the A.A.G.P.B.L., or the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.

When a large percentage of the pro baseballers are sent to fight in World War II, a girls teams are set-up in a pro league to entertain the crowds.

A whole host of stars unite to bring to live real people: Academy Award Winner Tom Hanks, Academy Award Nominee Geena Davis, Lori Petty, Madonna, Rosie O'Donnell, Jon Lovitz and Megan Cavanaugh are just a few, who all put in exceptional performances.

This movie is funny, sad, moving and a thrilling ride from start to finish. It has enough good characters, good dialogue and twists and turns to grab your attention and keep you interested.

This is truly brilliant piece of cinematic genius - it's become one of my all-time favorite films - and I don't usually like sports films! A perfect 1O/1O.

A sparkling celebration of some diamond women

Author: Geofbob from London, England
5 August 2001

Realistic, misty eyed and farcical by turns, but always entertaining, Penny Marshall's 1992 movie is based on an episode of WWII that was all but forgotten before the film was made. Short of male players, because of war service, Chicago Cubs owner, Philip K Wrigley, developed a professional women's league. The movie embodies one major embroidery of the truth - the actual wartime league played a modified form of softball, not the hardball depicted on screen. However, other features are factual, such as the emphasis on the "girls" - never women - maintaining their decorum and charm off the playing field, while wearing short skirts on it. (See

Geena Davis is in her element as feisty and hugely talented catcher/hitter, Dottie Hinson; the rivalry between Dottie and her less able, pitcher sister, Kit (Lori Petty), gives some edge to the movie. Madonna allows herself to be typecast as sexy 'All the way' Mae; and Tom Hanks plays the falling-down-drunk manager, who is inspired into laying off the booze by his team's dedication. There is plenty of exciting baseball action, of course, which is exaggerated, but no more so than in other sports films. However, the most telling and poignant shot in the movie is when a young African-American woman spectator - at that time excluded from professional baseball along with black men - throws a ball back to Dottie, with a defiant expression.

A hilarious but meaningful film, will always be my favorite

Author: Star-84 from Texas, USA
7 July 1999

This movie has been my favorite ever since I saw it 6 years ago. If I'm in the mood to laugh, cry and just smile, I can always count on Tom Hanks, Madonna, and Geena Davis in "A League of Their Own." My favorite character is Tom Hanks, but Jon Lovitz always, always, makes me laugh, even though I've memorized all of his lines! After I'm done watching this movie, I always have to think about it for a long time. Did Dottie mean to drop the ball? Why couldn't Kit have stayed at Rockford, and shouldn't they have won! I always cry when Dottie hugs Kit, and says, "How many sisters do you think I have." But when the credits are finished, and it's completely over, I just have to breath a sigh of satisfaction.

I Loved It!

Author: mystic_bunny
30 December 2000

I saw this movie long time ago and I still watch this movie. "A League of Their Own" is absolutely hilarious and also has some drama. I think this movie owes a big one to the actors who brought so much fun. Geena Davis plays Dottie Hinson, a loving sister who has some troubles with her younger sister, Kit, and struggles on making decisions of wether she should stay in baseball team (Rockford Peaches) or go back to her home with her husband who just came back from World War II with broken arm(or was it a leg?). It surprised me when I found out that Geena was inches taller than most of the women in the movie. She showed off many fascinating stunts, such as catching a flying baseball with one hand and sliding like a ballerina when catching the foul ball. She was great.

Tom Hanks was hilarious as Jimmy Dugan, an alcoholic hitter who became a baseball coach of Rockford Peaches. Jim hates that job, but as the time goes by, he realizes that the girls are very good and he gets pretty enthusiastic about the game and all. I love the part when he gets frustrated and shouts, "There's no crying in baseball!" and gets on a fight with the judge. Jimmy Dugan is probably one of Tom's best characters so far.

Another great performance by Lori Petty, who played Geena Davis' sister, Kit. Kit is a very good player, but she gets jealous of Dottie and eventually joins another team called Racines. Somehow, I loved her performance.

Then there are other great actings by Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell. They are somewhat nasty girls in the team who happen to be two close best friends. They bring so much joy to this movie and I loved the dancing scene at the bar. Madonna plays her part really well and Rosie is just great as always.

Megan Cavannagh was funny also. She played Marla Hooch, who was obviously one of the best players in the team, but unfortunately her looks did matter when she was joining the team. Even though she might not be a best singer (scene at the bar was funny!), she met a great man and got married. Ann Cusack, who played Shirley Baker was pretty forgettable, but she played the sweetest role. Other roles like a player who is a mother of a naughty son (can't remember her name, though) was also sweet, and the player who lost her husband made me cry. A pretty blonde player who used to be Miss Georgia was good also. Jon Lovitz plays a scout and gives the hilarious lines and I wish he had played more. And don't miss Tea Leoni as the Racine player! She appears in some scenes, so keep your eyes open. And the older version of the characters looked so much like the younger versions. Especially the Old Dottie Hinson.

So if you are depressed and want to watch a funny, witty movie and just have some fun - go and rent this movie. I would give 3 1/2 out of 5 (probably not a breath-taking film, but very entertaining).

A League of Their Own

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
17 August 1999

Charming comedy about the first women's baseball league, which began when the boys were fighting in World War II. Hanks is stand out as an alcoholic ex-home run king who is given the task of coaching these ladies and leading them to championship glory. Director Marshall assembles a great supporting cast, especially Madonna and keeps a fun pace going all the way through.

Davis Makes It A Winning Picture

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
17 July 2006

As a sports fan, it's fun to see a film of a little different nature, the case here being women's pro baseball - something that actually took place for a short time during World War II.

The best thing going for the film, in my opinion, was a very likable lead character - someone you could really root for - in Geena Davis' character "Dottie Hinson." She made the movie, as far as I was concerned as the rest of the cast - although good - was not particularly likable.

For instance, Tom Hanks plays a profane, drunken manager, and not a lot of laughs except for famous, "There is no crying in baseball" line which has become famous. Then there is the family-friendly Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell. Yikes! Actually, Madonna plays a nice, subdued character and she's okay to watch but, frankly, it's hard for me to warm up to O'Donnell in any role. Just hearing that voice is enough to call 'time out' and stop the game. Many of the men in here are generally pictured as sexist idiots, which is the way left-wing Hollywood likes to portray men.

The sad thing is, this is another one of the these Penny Marshall films that ignorant national movie critics call a "family film." However, profanity - which includes four blasphemes (even one by Davis which ruined her good-person character image at that point), a two-minute scene of hearing Hanks taking a pee....and other things hardly add up to "family fare."

However, it is an entertaining adult movie that has a lot of charm to it and is recommended, especially if you're a baseball fan.

Wonderful, beautiful, funny, interesting film

Author: rlee-937-724040 from Boston, ma
25 July 2015

This is not just a great sports movie, it is one of the best movies of all time. There's a good reason it's been selected by the Library of Congress as a culturally important film.

It is moving and funny, exciting and uplifting--with terrific music, acting and directing. If you are a baseball fan, you have to see it. Geena Davis and Tom Hanks are incredible, and the final scene is magical. The story of two sisters competing, and the death of a husband, and the stories of love, respect, friendship and redemption--it's all there. Look for Tea Leoni at first base, and a hilarious Madonna. It's a beautiful story and spectacularly presented.

A Well Acted and Compelling Baseball Drama,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
30 May 2015

A League of Their Own is a great movie with a very well developed storyline and a terrific cast. It's a very compelling drama with a lot of heart and very likable characters, I'm not sure how historically accurate it really is, but it feels very natural throughout. I felt like it needed more character development from characters outside of Dottie, of course she is the main character and we are going to learn the most about her, but some more development from Jimmy and several female characters would have helped the story progress. The film also has many funny parts, though it isn't purely a comedy, it has several bits that are there for a chuckle and I appreciated this, it dosen't take itself too seriously. A compelling movie with a strong cast, I would recommend A League of Their Own to anyone looking for a good drama or sports film.

Two sisters become rivals when they join the first female professional baseball league during World War II.

Best Performance: Geena Davis Worst Performance: Madonna

My review for A League Of Their Own(1992)

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
25 February 2015

This was on More than Movies last night and since I am a fan of Tom Hanks for a very long time I decided to check it out. The film also stars Madonna,Geena Davis(from Stuart Little franchise),Bill Pullman(from While You Were Sleeping and teamed up with Tom Hanks a year after this film was made for Sleepless In Seattle),and Rosie O Donnell(also in Sleepless in Seattle as Meg Ryan's BFF).

The movie is based on the fictional story of an All American Girls Professional Baseball Tournament and tells the tale of a group of women(one led by Genna Davis who is an excellent baseball player btw) who's husbands are out during World War II and they join a baseball tournament where Tom Hanks's character Jimmy Duggan trains them for baseball. They of course have to battle it out with other professional baseball players to see will they go further in their team and win the tournament, but can they win the tournament in 1943?

The film is set in 1943 and its been told in flashbacks since the film is taken place in 1992 and 1943 where we see an old Dottie(now played by Lynn Cartwright,while the younger version of her is played by Genna Davis)who visits her old buddies since her husband passed away and she quit the tournament a long time ago and we see her at the grand opening of a museum about their lives and on the All American Girl's Professional Baseball Tournament near the end of the film which was pretty interesting.

Bottom line I enjoyed this movie as it tells you that it doesn't matter what gender you are you can do anything and also you can play baseball at any gender. Also the supporting cast is great and Tom Hanks was great in this movie as I consider him a very good actor as any film he is in he delivers his performances very well in each role he does. The movie also has some very funny moments and some touching moments too.

Overall its a 7/10

Also keep an eye out for Garry Marshall who stars in this movie too. The film is also directed by Big director Penny Marshall.