IMDb > The Last of the Mohicans (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last of the Mohicans

The Last of the Mohicans More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 39: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

emotionally gut-wrenching

Author: lurch-17 from hawaii
22 July 2003

Stowe's performance and Mann's direction should have won academy awards along with the haunting score (which did). I am amazed at Mann's ability to draw out such emotion with action, music, cinematography while few words are spoken.

Stowe's scenes alone with D.D. Lewis were memorable - especially her 'soul stirring' lines.

The guns sounded real, the actors were not acting, the settings and cinematography were riveting, and the celtic score constantly pulled you in.

Jodhi May's and Steve Waddington's final scenes still makes me cry after having seen them twenty times. Wes Studi's sincere and unfaltering hatred, coupled with Russell Mean's innocence and lack of polish, made these characters seem not only real but plausible.

The four-way three-language 'hearing' in the Huron village, at first difficult to follow, is so cleverly written, played and emotionally charged it stands out as a one-of-a-kind scene in cinema history.

Owning the DVD, I have shown this to various family members and friends. All were spellbound from beginning to end.

Beautiful...

Author: yespis from Sweden
2 February 2003

One of the most beautiful movies I ever seen. The scenery is fantastic and the music makes my heart beat faster.

This is a quite good version of the book and the actors bring the characters alive in a very good way.

The battles and the lovestory is just right.

Feelings. War. Justice. Love.

Must be seen...

What a fantastic movie.

Author: Sundance26 from Edinburgh, Scotland
15 November 2002

I could go on about this movie forever, so I'll try to keep it simple.

This is a fantastic movie.

Now, purists will complain about the historical accuracy, because they are more concerned with history than the making of a good movie. So ignore them. :) For the most part, the history is accurate. And the things that were given up for the sake of good filmmaking and plot, you wouldn't even notice.

Above all else, this is a BEAUTIFUL film. My brother commented once that 70% of the movie was the scenery. It's just breathtaking. The colors and the mist, and the cliffs... accompanied by an also breathtaking soundtrack, it's just beautiful. This has been the only movie that I've ever seen, where ever time I hear the soundtrack, I want to see the movie again, right that moment. By the end of the movie, a simple violin tune is enough to evoke some pretty strong emotions from you. It's incredible. (I also recommend the soundtrack, btw.)

Daniel Day-Lewis conquered his British accent pretty damn well, to adopt his english indian one. And his eyes just dance throughout the whole thing. And besides a few mildly funny instances where his long hair whaps him in the face while he's running... he really does a great job. Madeline Stowe is a beautiful woman, and made a great Cora. What happens to her, her sister, and her family... 'heartwrenching' wouldn't do it justice. It makes you hold your breath.

I'm going on and on... but yes. A beautiful film, rightly in the top 100 greatest movies ever made. I gave it 9/10.

must-see movie

Author: Imogen from England
22 June 2002

What a great film - I first saw 'The Last of the Mohicans' a few months ago and have watched it a countless number of times since: I never get tired of it! Beautifully shot and brilliantly acted, it's a definite must-see.

Set against the stunning backdrop of the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina, it's a tale of war, revenge and transcendent love. Reportedly it's nothing like the book (I started it but didn't get anywhere) but I doubt that really matters! Fantastically directed by Michael Mann, the supporting cast is great: Wes Studi is suitably terrifying as Magua and Jodhi May as Alice almost steals the show in one of the film's most haunting images in the final scenes.

Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe are the improbably drop-dead gorgeous romantic leads; the chemistry between them is electrifying. Day-Lewis is competent and convincing as Nathaniel/Hawkeye, but it's Stowe, as Cora, that you've really got to look out for. She's an incredibly talented yet under-rated actress and her performance here is great; at once vulnerable and threatened yet courageous and independent, there are few other actresses who could steal thunder from a scantily-clad Daniel Day-Lewis....

It's impossible not to comment on the score here: I've never seen a film which shares such an equal partnership with the soundtrack. The music will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end! Without the soundtrack, the film would only be half of what it is now, but you can't appreciate the full power and beauty of the music without having seen the film!

The Last of the Mohicans far out-shines both Braveheart (sorry Mel) and Dances with Wolves (which, let's face it, was a tad on the long side), two films which seem largely to have eclipsed it, for some unknown reason. A fantastic film, especially for born romantics; not for the squeamish - the battle scenes are horrific - but you'd be mad to miss it, and anyone who fails to cry at the end must have a heart of stone! 10/10

this is good.....this is very good

Author: TexasRedge from Kingsport, Tennessee
8 May 2002

this movie ranks as in my opinion is one of the top 5 historical drama/epics ever made. This movie was filmed near the North Carolina/Tennessee border and I am from Tennessee and I remeber when the movie crews were filming this, because I wanted to go watch them film this movie, but the local authorities and the film producers had that area off limits to the public. I have never read the book "Last of the Mohicans" so if this movie differs from the book-I wouldn't know. I also remeber watcing an old Black and White version of this in my 8th grade class when I was a Kid growing up(seems like another lifetime ago now). ..Okay,I've strayed from the subject matter just a bit. However this 1992 version is splended in every way. I was completely taken by how beautiful the Appalatchain Mountian sceenery is in this film(because I live about 70 mile away from where this movie was filmed, I sometimes take it for granted that I live in the most beautiful part of the United State)This film captured the essence and beauty of this area(its suppossed to be upstate New York in the film). this movie has a powerful gripping story. Awesome costumes, A Superb music score, great Specail Effects. great battle scenes,good solid action scenes, and to top it off this film is well acted by a Great Cast. This movie has something in it for everyone. When the credits began to roll up the screen at the end of this film , I was saddened by the fact that it was over, I wanted this film to just keep going-I wanted more. I believe you are going to love this film. I give it 5 out of 5 stars - A perfect film.

if you wish to call me an imbecile who doesn't like art, suit yourself! BUT I DIDN'T LIKE IT!

Author: arminhage from Los Angeles
6 February 2015

I just read a review titled "Whoever doesn't like this movie, doesn't like art"... Buy a good video camera, head to Shenandoah or Blue Ridge mountain and I guaranty that you'll make some artistic videos of nature so is taking some good videos of national parks considered art? probably! But that's not enough to make a movie neither artistic nor entertaining. This film has severe production problems which gave audience feel of a TV movie rather than a cinematic work. Everything looked polished, both Indians and colonials were shaved, clean and dressed up. Indians were the worse speaking plain English with just some misplaced words! But that's not all. There was something seriously wrong with the screenplay. It was slow, boring and lacked almost any conflict. The Mohican was flirting with the British lady in broad daylight while the presumed suitor/fiancé was acting like a carrot. No emotion, no conflict and I doubt if it was even historically accurate. Acts were not notable also. Daniel Day Lewis delivered a flat performance, probably not his fault, there was nothing special about his character. I barely finished the movie and I didn't like it so if you wish to call me an imbecile who doesn't like art, suit yourself!

Hard to imagine a better version

Author: jjnxn-1 from United States
30 April 2013

Stirring adventure with pitch perfect performances across the board. Mann's direction is masterful in grabbing you from the first moments and keeping you involved until the moving final scene.

Many components go into making a film entertaining but one of the most important here is the music. It is fantastic at giving the picture a sweeping feeling of the period. Probably one of the best, most organically fitting film scores ever. How it was overlooked at awards time is a mystery.The details of the period are well thought out and even though I'm sure it was a gritter existence than portrayed an effort is made to give the viewer a feeling of the rigors of frontier life.

All this would be for naught if you didn't care about the characters and that is where the film truly excels. Eric Schweig and Jodhi May make something memorable out of the secondary parts of Uncas and Alice. Wes Studi is a throughly deplorable Magua, Steven Waddington makes Duncan more than the officious martinet he so easily could have been and Russell Means is compelling as Chingachgook. The real power of the piece however rests in the central love story between Nathaniel and Cora, DDL and Stowe elevate that to something special. While Daniel Day-Lewis is a brilliant actor he is not always a romantic one but paired with Madeleine Stowe they share that lightening in a bottle thing called great chemistry. Whenever they share the screen it crackles with the spark between them and as with all great screen couples like Tracy & Hepburn or Myrna Loy & William Powell their mere presence makes an already superior film better.

Action packed, occasionally very violent, and beautifully photographed with everyone working at the highest level this is a great consistently involving film.

One of the two best movies ever made.

Author: Bourque77bs from Gaithersburg, MD
28 February 2002

The action was superb. The details of the siege were spectacular and educational. The life of the settlers was exceptionally well portrayed. The danger, friendship and relationship with nature were all well documented.

Honor and heroism were key elements. But love, devotion and loss won over the theme of the movie.

From a person who grew up near Uncasville, CT and attends family reunions at Mohegan Park, a person who went to high school across the Chelsea Parade from "Uncas Leap" where the real Uncas, chief of the Mohegans leapt to his death as he was pursued by enemy worriers, I am pleased that this movie handles the subjects with respect and dignity.

A great American tragedy

Author: keihan (keihan@usit.net)
12 July 2000

I have not read Cooper's original novel, I will freely admit, nor do I ever really see myself working up the interest to actually do so. But I absolutely love this version of "Last of the Mohicans". It was the first movie I ever saw in the widescreen format of video tapes and, after watching it again after about three years of not seeing it, everything I loved about it then still holds true.

The film is no more anti-British than it is anti-Indian. Everybody gets a more or less fair shake. Granted, Day-Lewis and his adopted family (as well as the Munro sisters) get have more to like about them than some of the others, but even the "bad guys" are understandable. Think about it: Maghoa is, without a doubt, a bloodthirsty, hate-driven b*****d, yet considering all he's lost in his life thanks to the Yanquis (particularly Colonel Munro), can you blame him for wanting to take his revenge? I can't. Colonel Munro is a loving father who cares very deeply about his daughters and a commander who cares about his men. Still, the atrocities he's committed in the name of the Crown against Maghoa are disconcerting, to say the least. Horrible though his death is, can one truly say whether or not it is unjustified? I can't. Major Duncan Heyward is an arrogant snob of an English officer, looking down his nose at colonials and Indians alike. But he is no fop in combat, as his reaction to the George Road ambush proved, and, as he proved with his death, under that arrogant exterior is a very brave man. Can anyone say that he truly deserved his fate? I can't.

The thing, to me, that makes this a great film is that, when all's said and done, nobody wins. NOBODY. Of all the eight major characters (Hawkeye, Chingachook, Uncas, Cora Munro, Alice Munro, Colonel Munro, Maghoa, Maj. Heyward), half of them are dead by film's end and everyone has lost at one person they very deeply care about. There's no overarcing evil responsible for these horrors, just human nature, culture clashs, and the insanity that is war. As America today is still very much a country of clashing cultures fighting for supremacy, therein lies the great tragedy of "Last of The Mohicans". 243 years later, we still haven't learned a thing...and we'd better.

Good Film That Suffers Slightly From Hollywood Nationalism

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
18 April 2013

During The French Indian War Major Duncan Heyward is given the task of escorting Cora and Alice the two daughters of Colonal Munro to Fort William Henry . During there journey they are betrayed Magua but are saved from certain death by Hawkeye , an adopted Mohican warrior . Upon arriving at the fort they find it under siege by the French . Worse than that Hawkeye due to Major Heyward's jealousy finds himself guilty of sedition and faces a sentence of death

When this movie was released in 1992 it seemed to stay at the top of the US box office for eternity and was my tip to absolutely dominate the Oscars the following year . As it turned it only picked up one nomination for sound which was an absolute travesty since both picture , costume design , original score and cinematography should have been automatic choices with Day Lewis and Studi being probables for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actors along with Michael Mann as director. Even today when watching it you're surprised that a beautiful and involving movie was ignored when the back slapping award ceremonies were dishing out awards . It remains a movie that shows Hollywood movie making at its best

That said it does suffer slightly from Hollywood at its worst . Much of the blame might lie in the original source novel by James Fenimore Cooper but you can guarantee Hollywood will put the boot in to someone given half the chance and that is the slight vein of Anglophobia throughout the film . The British are foppish fools , untrustworthy and easily defeated by both Native Americans armed with nothing more than a tomahawk and the French . If Fenimore's novel was adapted by a French film company the British might have been portrayed more fairly . Looking on the bright side at least it's a million miles better than THE PATRIOT and umpteen other similar films I could name and LAST OF THE MOHICANS still remains a very impressive American film helped in no small part by a largely British cast