IMDb > The Last of the Mohicans (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last of the Mohicans

The Last of the Mohicans More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 38: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

if you could only have one . . .

Author: Greg Mullins from Boca Raton, FL
14 April 2009

This is my very favorite film! As much as I like Gladiator and Troy, they always seem so distant. Perhaps this being closer to our time and fought on our turf, just before we set off on our own as a nation - it speaks more to me. Only Mel Gibson and The Patriot come close to the excellence in cinema that tells of this time. Like a lot of guys, I am easily won over by big, epic, sweeping, romantic stories of war and heroism - I enjoy them immensely. This is the one I enjoy the most.

I think in part it's because all of the tribes at war here, are presented in a favorable light. The French and the British, Mohawk and Huron, the settlers and colonists - you like all of them! There are bad guys too, but it's the Noble men that stand out. And there are noble men and the showing of honor throughout. I'm sure Mr. Cooper's great telling of a good story has a lot to do with it - the writers always do. But it's the movie we're talking about.

It might just be my imagination, but it seems that Michael Mann always does something with the lighting. I think it goes all the way back to his Miami Vice days. It seems to affect the intimacy, or the way we view the people. But I could be wrong. His two best films are this one and Heat. With the greatest shootout anywhere being the one in Heat. Daniel Day Lewis wore the part of Hawkeye as though it had been tailor made. What an excellent performance. But then he's famous for the study he puts into his characters.

There are some seemingly smart strong people in every group presented here, no one tribe has all the virtue. In that sense, they are equals - a rarity in storytelling and movie making. So much of history is crowded with the master and servant relationship that also ends up in much of our literature. And there is always an element of truth to that, but it's not the whole truth. Don't forget, it's the winners who always write the history. Seldom does a conquerer speak well of a vanquished foe.

The character of Chingachgook, the older Mohawk and former chief, has got the coolest weapon in the form of a Mohawk throwing axe. It's so big it looks like a rifle when it's slung over his back, but it's not.

This is not at all a Western, which occupies a unique time period in our history between the end of the Civil War and the early 1900's. One hundred years before there was ever a west to have cowboys in - there was the Frontier and frontiersmen. A completely different time, place and people - not related to the cowboy. This is their say, let them have it.

It all takes place during the time that the British and French are fighting for control over the fur trade in the north all the way up into Canada, and the sugar trade all the way down south into the Caribbean. Sometimes wars are about the land, but many times they're about the money coming from the resources. This is one of those times, and the heat of the battle over this money is the French and Indian War - at least on land. Which covers the period of our story. You never hear that in movies or novels, but that is the history of it. When left to themselves, Cain will always kill Abel - over something.

I leave it on that note as it ties in perfectly with the sense of remorse and longing we're left with from the story. But you'll have to watch this most excellent movie for yourself to see what any of that means. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It is a rich tale, a grand sweeping romantic action adventure epic, a satisfying movie, and a most beautiful one at that.

Beautiful, Adventurus, Passionate... simply Gorgeous!

Author: anexartitoi from Greece
2 February 2008

I have firstly watched this movie in 1992 while ten more times have followed since. The same feelings appears every time. This is a film that combines, a perfect mix of adventure, action, drama and romance, equally balanced and I assure you, it will crab you from the early beginning and drive you to the end to a very beautiful journey of mixed feelings. The indescribably, unbelievably exquisite music is I may say the "salt and spices" of the Last of the Mohicans, being not just an escort to the film but truly manages to lift it into something unique.

The astonishing slow motion scenes, a silent action amalgamate, full of love, pain, courage, desperation and revenge towards the end, will make you feel like holding a tomahawk, a carbine and... I stop here, see the movie! Michael Mann surely did a great job

and I hope he will be able to create such a masterpiece again in the future. Danny -as always- at his best. I really believe that this film wouldn't be what it is today if Danny (as usual) wasn't a part of it. Stowe (playing Cora) delivers a fine performance of elegance, beauty and passion altogether. Even supporting cast like Eric Schweig (Uncas-son) or Russell Means (Chingachgook-father) seems to be carefully selected as they all seem to give their best, look and act real while they help to the development of their characters.

This part (The character-development, which I never really understood why ONLY this should be every time the element that defines a good and a bad movies, but anyway...) is sufficiently deep in my personal opinion. Afterall I don't think that you will spend not even a second during and MAINLY after the movie to even think if this is correct or not, or if this scene would be appropriate and etc... Damn, I now realize how difficult is to express your own feelings about a masterpiece that you loved and make others who haven't seen it yet, to run, rent/buy and watch it! But this is what a perfect movie (for me at least!) should probably make you feel.

Finally, I really can't understand why it's not on the top 250, as on the same moment you can see there movies like Ratatouille, Hot Fuzz, American Gangster and etc. With respect to these good movies, I just can't accept the absence of Last of the Mohican -at least- in the top 250 of all time. OK, maybe I'm not so inter-subjective, but I suggest those who haven't watched it until now, see it and then vote and put it where it belongs!

Haunting music and landscape

Author: ajones272000 from Minn
10 February 2007

One of the most underrated movies of all time. I consider myself somewhat of a film-buff and this continues to be in my top-ten. The costumes, the music, the acting is wonderful and you have to give mad props to DDL for his portrayal of Hawkeye. Wes Studi is also great in it as the bloodthirsty Huron warrior Magua. I cannot understand why it did not win or be nominated for more awards. Its current rating of 7.6 is hilarious. 7.6 would tell me this movie is barely above average and I have seen plenty of average to above-average movies in my lifetime and this ain't one of them. I highly recommend it to adventure/romantic epic lovers, however if you do not like watching intense violence and some gore than maybe it's not your movie. POWERFUL!

A dictionary definition of the meaning of "romantic" adventure

Author: OnlyRocknRoll from United States
11 December 2005

I've seen this movie several times and never tire of it. The characterizations, cinematography,score,casting, and wardrobe are all wonderful. The book was a snore in high school "required reading", but made a fantastic film this time around. Infinitely better than earlier versions especially the pretty poor T.V. show of the 50's-60's! Certainly one of the best films and performances that leads Day-Lewis and Stowe have done to date. Their characters come from completely different worlds, yet they are convincingly drawn to one another and the sexual tension that develops is heady.

Kudos to the director for keeping up the pace. Sometimes this kind of film will have an erratic mood or pace that spoils the feel of the drama.

Lastly, Eric Schweig as Uncas is one of the sexiest men I've ever seen.

Simply beautiful and terribly romantic.

Author: lib-8 from Denmark
1 April 2005

This movie is simply beautiful and terribly romantic. It's one of my absolute favorites! It is loaded with intense and magnificent scenery, and the music!!!!! The music is the heart and soul of this film and absolutely wonderful. This is a film where the music and the pictures tells a fairly simple story in a grand way. Daniel Day does a great job of showing his characters mixture of white heritage and Indian upbringing, cultivated in "reverent wheelers school", and Madeline Stowe is as always the innocent looking woman with a lot of depth. There's no fight scenes just for the sake of it, it is all done to tell the story right, though there's plenty for the male audience. Yet it is a romantic story. Very!

The Best Movie Ever!!!!

Author: silentthunder464 from United States
24 January 2005

By all means, this movie is the best movie ever made. Consisting of action, romance, adventure, drama, and suspense, this is the perfect movie. So much goes on from beginning to ending that it fills your heart with excitement, making you feel like if your heart is going to explode. My hat goes off to Daniel Day Lewis, whom's acting deserved every award possibly ever presented. Daniel Day Lewis was born to play this role. He is "perfect" in every aspect of the word. He's extremely handsome, ambitious, intelligent, talented, and did I say "gorgeous"!! As mentioned before, no other actor would have filled Nataniel Poe's shoes the way DDL did. As for Eric Schweig and Russell Means, they also did an excellent job playing Uncas and Chingachgook. The talents expressed by this actors and the rest of cast were beyond sensational. Congratulations to Daniel Day Lewis, Eric Schweig, Russell Means, Madeleine Stowe, Wes Studi, on a job well done. It's a shame that a second part was never made, maybe it's for the best since this movie ended up being a masterpiece. I applaud Michael Mann for making this movie. Although this movie was released over 14 years ago, it still captures my interest as if i'm watching it for the first time again.

Intensely good

Author: fmpemy from Texas
17 January 2005

Movies that are centered around war often bring blood thirsty men to the box office craving carnage and amputations of all kinds. Well the blood thirsty man will get this when they watch this amazing picture, I know because I happen to be one of those blood thirsty savages, but there is another element that makes this movie so darn good. The romance seen between Hawkeye and Miss Munroe contains enough passion to ignite the forest where their love blooms a blaze. The romance seen in this movie is not the kind that women crave, and men make gagging sounds to, but it is the kind that makes women swoon and guys say, "This Hawkeye character, he's the man." This is clearly shown when viewers see Hawkeye vow to rescue Miss Munroe no matter what in the scene that takes place behind the waterfall. This movie deserves a much higher overall rating because it satisfies the male thirst for carnage, and the female thirst for love and romance, but at the same time men that watch this movie see that romance is not always as cheesy as it seems.

Brilliantly made and delivered.

Author: flameguitar
17 November 2003

I've been a huge fan of this film since I first watched it when I was a child. Considering that it's been 11-12 years since it was released, it's remarkable that it above all stands out to be one of the best movies I've ever seen. I received the soundtrack as a gift for my 15th birthday and I had a much loved tape that I'd recorded off the TV that I wore down with watching it, and I am now the proud owner of the DVD (not the director's cut, I might add). To say the least, The Last of the Mohicans is my favorite movie and with good reason.

So what can I say about it? Plenty. The movie is beautifully constructed. Gorgeous scenery, colorful and vibrant characters, a well-written storyline and plot, beautiful and very fitting musical score all come together to create this remarkable film and make me fall in love with it every time I sit down to watch it. I think my friends are a little amazed at my continuing admiration for the film, but they can, at least, understand my point of view and agree that it's very well done.

Daniel Day-Lewis is a fantastic actor and played the part of Hawkeye fantastically and was for the longest time an ideal historical hero for me; Madeleine Stowe gave credibility to the heroine with her brilliant acting skills and carried her character through from a well-bred lady to a strong and independant woman not afraid to defend herself; Chingachgook, Uncas and Magua was played out wonderfully - and even Major Heyward who we all detest until he redeems himself - were all also wonderful characters. Interaction between them was fantastic, and the climax of the waterfall scene was by far my favorite, with a stunning performance from the actors portraying Uncas and Alice. Again, there's that wonderful music, cinematography and scenery. I attempted, on numerous occasions, to sit down and read the book, but I found it long-winded, boring, and extremely difficult to believe that it could have been the basis for such a wonderful movie. I always tell people that the book is usually better than the movie, but in this case, those words ring hollow as this film has proved to break that mold very nicely.

But that's only understandable because I can find no other film that hits the mark when it comes to overall brilliance. Kudos to all involved with the creation of this film. With today's flashy and computer generated films with thumping soundtracks dancing across the big screen, I still call this film my favorite of all time.

emotionally gut-wrenching

Author: lurch-17 from hawaii
22 July 2003

Stowe's performance and Mann's direction should have won academy awards along with the haunting score (which did). I am amazed at Mann's ability to draw out such emotion with action, music, cinematography while few words are spoken.

Stowe's scenes alone with D.D. Lewis were memorable - especially her 'soul stirring' lines.

The guns sounded real, the actors were not acting, the settings and cinematography were riveting, and the celtic score constantly pulled you in.

Jodhi May's and Steve Waddington's final scenes still makes me cry after having seen them twenty times. Wes Studi's sincere and unfaltering hatred, coupled with Russell Mean's innocence and lack of polish, made these characters seem not only real but plausible.

The four-way three-language 'hearing' in the Huron village, at first difficult to follow, is so cleverly written, played and emotionally charged it stands out as a one-of-a-kind scene in cinema history.

Owning the DVD, I have shown this to various family members and friends. All were spellbound from beginning to end.

Author: yespis from Sweden
2 February 2003

One of the most beautiful movies I ever seen. The scenery is fantastic and the music makes my heart beat faster.

This is a quite good version of the book and the actors bring the characters alive in a very good way.

The battles and the lovestory is just right.

Feelings. War. Justice. Love.

Must be seen...